Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donte Moncrief will have a better season than Phillip Dorsett.

Dustin

Is this seriously your criticism of Moncrief?

1) The 27 yards/game is incredibly disingenuous, as is the statement that he didn't improve.

2) Moncrief being inconsistent as a rookie who was WR4 most of the season isn't exactly newsworthy, nor is it unexpected, nor should it blind any of us to his incredible potential.

3) Once upon a time, a Pro Bowl WR who is second all time in Colts history in every major statistical category was held to 1 catch, 1 yard, in a playoff game. He was covered by Darrelle Revis. The same Darrelle Revis who covered Donte Moncrief in both games against the Patriots last season. So are we criticizing a rookie receiver for not being productive against the best cover corner in the game? Really?

4) Your argument that picking Dorsett in the first is an indication about how the staff feels about Moncrief (and the WR corps in general) undermines your argument that Dorsett was picked based on BPA. You can't have both. (It also ignores what Grigson said he would do in the draft.)

5) Grigson's job security isn't based on fan support. It's just not. This isn't speculation. Irsay will not determine how to handle Ryan Grigson on the basis of how fans on the Internet feel about him.

I am not bored, i am at work. I get a 15 min break every hour, cant watch videos on my mobile internet without using a ton of my data plan. At this point I am only responding because I am getting alerts every time I am quoted.

Grigson's job security is most certainly based on fan support. If we are up in arms, buying billboards and refusing to buy tickets until he is fired, Irsay can take notice or he can lose money. If the outrage from fabs becomes too much, Irsay will have to make moves to satisfy the fan base. GMs and head coaches get replaced all of the time based on lack of fan support.

On the flip side, if all the fans support Grigson, it makes it much tougher for Irsay to sell "we need an overhaul" to his paying customers.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spoke with Donte here in the Memphis airport. Nice kid and very respectful "Yes, sir" in response to everything.

He's flying up to Indy today and he's already got his game face on. Hope he has a great year this year, as a well as the rest of the WR corps.

Again, this might be the most talented WR class ever. Moncrief was a 1st round talent. I wasn't shocked when he started to play well. He probably should have had Nicks' reps earlier. If so, he could've had 800 yards receiving.

Bottom line is though that the division gets even easier to sweep. The Colts 2nd and 3rd receivers are probably better than all our division rivals' best corner. The numbers don't matter because both Moncrief and Dorsett are going to set secondary's on fire.

Touche. I see the Dorsett pick as an admission by the scouts and coaches that they were not satisfied by Moncrief's rate of progression. They picked him because they are convinced he will have a large impact on what we hope is a Superbowl season.

Ya'll might see it differently, I am just looking at it from Grigson's perspective. He doesn't pick Dorsett in the first rd if he doesn't think it is an improvement over what we already have.

Oooooor, he's a contingency plan if the Colts and TY cant reach an agreement....... Dorsett as a replacement for Moncrief makes less sense because they possess such different skill sets.

Guys, this is kinda silly.  We're comparing apples to oranges here.  Dorsett and Moncrief are different sized players that are going to play different roles depending on the offense on the field.

It's like y'all are assuming Pep won't utilize 4WR sets where BOTH are on the field at the same time... or AJ or TY won't get gassed at some point and BOTH Dorsett and Moncrief are on the field for a base formation... or AJ won't suffer yet another injury forcing a 3WR set of TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett...

All the recievers are different, and not exactly "interchangable", so injuries and opposing defenses will really dictate how the season shakes out for ALL the receivers.  For all we know, teams will follow Belichicks' recipe and TY gets doubled every game, leading to Moncrief and Dorsett BOTH having "better" seasons than TY.

This is the wrong year for teams to follow BB's recipe & double T.Y. If that happens we'll win it all no problem. 

• 1 month later...

It's funny, I was literally coming on here to suggest that Moncrief should be starting alongside Hilton at this point.  It is clear there is no chemistry between Luck and Johnson and he also seems to have lost more than a step.  Donte is tall enough to play the #2 role on the outside and let Dorsett and Johnson play in the slot, giving very different looks for D's to deal with.  (Possession versus Home Run receivers).  

Moncrief has been the only bright spot on the offense.  Of course our Tight Ends would have been very useful tonight but one was injured and the other was ignored.  Our TE's should DOMINATE! 

Well, I don't disagree. I hate though to see Moncrief and Dorsett compared as if Moncriefs playing time etc. is tied to how well he does in comparison to Dorsett. And I'm not saying the post implied that necessarily. I think Moncrief can still be Indy's best receiver. Im sure that he believes it too, and I hope that he continues to be targeted in this offense as criticism mounts against Grigson for Johnson and Dorsett.

• 1 month later...

Moncrief may have a better season than any receiver on the team the way he is playing.

Dorsett will be able to play much faster when he is able to learn the playbook, as Moncrief

has in his second season.

Oh no, the dreaded playbook excuse rears its ugly head.

Who cares?

How bout this.... Is it possible they, along with hilton will form a nice core for our receiving corps for many years?

Or is this yet ANOTHER "Grigson is so stupid" thread because he took a wr in the first?

Andre only has a yr or two, and we kinda look solid(at least) at wr for a while.

I love the potential i see in Moncrief. And FINALLY he's showing some tuffness. Dorsett has flashed, and can get open. When (if) this offence truly figures out how to utilize the RB, WR, and TE talent we have, we will see some exciting stuff. The speed and hands TY and Dorsett bring to the field is nothing short of scary.

Moncrief keeps it up he's gonna replace TY as #1 bigger WR are always better overall then small speedy WRs

Ask our nemesis Brady if he agrees with that. Aside from maybe Moss, brady's best passing success may have come from guys like welker, edelman, and amendola.

Those little guys can get in and out of breaks faster. This fits their stlye of dinks n dunks

This is the style we should do . Hilton and dorsett would wreak havoc in that offense. Plus , it takes pressure off the OL, AND LUCK (literally), quick, EASY receptions and let our talent make plays after catch. Seems so simple. This gets LBs offbalance,,, enter Mr. Gore.

Get Bradshaw, fleener, Moncrief more involved and WHAMMO!

Doesn't it truly seem this simple? What am i missing? Perhaps we have too much talent and its confusing the issue. I truly dont know. But theres no reason we shouldn't have drives like our 1st in Pats game MUCH more often. At least with the offensive talent we have, maybe besides OL. But we can work around that. Just don't ask so much of the OL. Heck, the current SB champs (cough." nonsense." cough) dont mind taking pressure off their OL, i think we can try. At least we see signs of it. Maybe before playoff time we'll finally realize it works.

I am very surprised that some would think Dorsett (which I like the pick) would have a better year than Moncrief? Moncrief has all the measurables (though needs to get stronger) to be a true number 1 wr in the NFL...plus is in his second year after being the youngest player drafted in 2014? Dorsett is stuck behind TY, Moncrief and Johnson (which is very debateable)...his time will come though.

I am trying to understand this thread. Are you guys happy that your third round WR choice from last year is going to significantly out perform your 1st round draft WR choice from this year?

It doesn't matter what pick they were taken with, we just want both to perform to the best of their abiilities. One of them is gonna be better than the other, and right now that's Moncrief.

I am trying to understand this thread. Are you guys happy that your third round WR choice from last year is going to significantly out perform your 1st round draft WR choice from this year?

Yes it shows Moncrief is going to be what we expected. A second year player should have a better grasp of the game.

Dorsett has only played in 6 games He was banged up a little to end preseason and to start the regular season. . Moncrief has made a big jump from year one to year two. I love it.

Dorsett looks fine when he's on the field. My question is why is Dre continuing to see more playing time. It's pretty obvious to me Dorsett can do more like get open and catch the ball. Hopefully he will start eating into those snaps in the coming weeks.

It being Dorsett's rookie season, I would expect a second year 3rd rounder to outperform him for the sole reason that he should be getting more snaps.  Dorsett will get his chances and he has done well in the time he's got.  

Moncrief keeps it up he's gonna replace TY as #1 bigger WR are always better overall then small speedy WRs

I wish I could find the post where I said Moncrief could jump T.Y. because his size gives him an edge. Moncrief is finally making big boy plays. Not only using that big 6'2" body but running very nice routes.

Hilton is still flawless though. His numbers have taken a hit because of less targets but no one can cover him except for the Pats.

Who cares?

How bout this.... Is it possible they, along with hilton will form a nice core for our receiving corps for many years?

Or is this yet ANOTHER "Grigson is so stupid" thread because he took a wr in the first?

Andre only has a yr or two, and we kinda look solid(at least) at wr for a while.

I love the potential i see in Moncrief. And FINALLY he's showing some tuffness. Dorsett has flashed, and can get open. When (if) this offence truly figures out how to utilize the RB, WR, and TE talent we have, we will see some exciting stuff. The speed and hands TY and Dorsett bring to the field is nothing short of scary.

I love the logic! Because our group of receivers is doing alright besides our waste of money/cap space guy then that makes it alright to write it off of Grigsons errors. Seems legitimate.

Forgive them, they know not what they do.

Were u upset a certain 6th rounder out-performed Bledsoe?

I love the logic! Because our group of receivers is doing alright besides our waste of money/cap space guy then that makes it alright to write it off of Grigsons errors. Seems legitimate.

haha

This isn't Draft Kings.

Keep digging, i'm sure theres more to complain about.

Everyone is Nostrodamus. AFTER the fact.

haha

This isn't Draft Kings.

Keep digging, i'm sure theres more to complain about.

Everyone is Nostrodamus. AFTER the fact.

What the fudge does a fantasy nonesense thing have to do with my comment?

Also it's not like I'm being captain hindsight here. I'm just pointing out the flaw in the justification logic. Thats some high quality damage control if I've ever seen it. Why don't you go ahead and formulate a real response if you want. Or don't, either way.

To understand this thread, you have to understand why it was made. Several weeks ago, in the off-season, I made a thread predicting Dorsett would out perform guys like Moncrief and Carter. This was in response to the overwhelming hate expressed toward the Dorsett pick. Several posters attacked my prediction, treating Moncrief like he was some kind of comic book super hero. It even spawned TWO separate troll threads (this being one of them) and a discussion that went on for two or three weeks.

Now I'll be the first to admit, Moncrief has exceeded my expectations. But before Dustin continues his laughably premature "I'm always right" campaign, he should pull his ears out of his back crack and realize that a season is more than 6 games.

I mean, I get it...in this forum full of terrible fair weather fans and know-it-all's, you'd think it was the off-season already and the entire coaching staff was fired after a 3-3 start.

Moncrief is "on pace" for 107 or whatever catches, ya.

Brady and Rivers are on pace to shatter Manning's passing yard record.

DeAndre Hopkins is on pace for about 2100 receiving yards.

Devonta Freeman is on pace for one of the greatest RB seasons of all time.

Andy Dalton and Cam Newton are on pace to lead their teams to 16-0 records.

A lot of players are "on pace" to do a lot of things, but that's why they play 16 games instead of 6. Due to circumstances, such as Luck's injury and Andre Johnson's failure to make an impact, Moncrief has gotten a lot of opportunities in those 6 games. Phillip Dorsett has not. Who would have believed that a 40 year old quarterback with a noted lack of arm strength would be more likely to target the possession receivers than the 4.3 speed downfield speedsters?

I may be ranting now, but seriously...6 games is not a "season". This forum makes me shamed to admit that this is the "official representation" of my favorite teams fan base. I just shook my head every time I saw a 63-7 prediction last week, and was downright disgusted to see it coming from posters claiming to be fans of this team. Show some friggin Faith.

And to people like Dustin, get a friggin clue. I probably won't be posting here in a while, but you...just keep doing your thing. I'll hit you up next time Fanduel is doing another million dollar challenge. I mean, I'm sure you can spare a few million, because "you're always right".

Give me a friggin break. I'm sure you were singing the praises for Hakeem Nicks last year after he outproduced Moncrief over the first 6 games. How many catches was he "on pace" for then?

To understand this thread, you have to understand why it was made. Several weeks ago, in the off-season, I made a thread predicting Dorsett would out perform guys like Moncrief and Carter. This was in response to the overwhelming hate expressed toward the Dorsett pick. Several posters attacked my prediction, treating Moncrief like he was some kind of comic book super hero. It even spawned TWO separate troll threads (this being one of them) and a discussion that went on for two or three weeks.

Now I'll be the first to admit, Moncrief has exceeded my expectations. But before Dustin continues his laughably premature "I'm always right" campaign, he should pull his ears out of his back crack and realize that a season is more than 6 games.

I mean, I get it...in this forum full of terrible fair weather fans and know-it-all's, you'd think it was the off-season already and the entire coaching staff was fired after a 3-3 start.

A lot of players are "on pace" to do a lot of things, but that's why they play 16 games instead of 6. Due to circumstances, such as Luck's injury and Andre Johnson's failure to make an impact, Moncrief has gotten a lot of opportunities in those 6 games. Phillip Dorsett has not. Who would have believed that a 40 year old quarterback with a noted lack of arm strength would be more likely to target the possession receivers than the 4.3 speed downfield speedsters?

I may be ranting now, but seriously...6 games is not a "season". This forum makes me shamed to admit that this is the "official representation" of my favorite teams fan base. I just shook my head every time I saw a 63-7 prediction last week, and was downright disgusted to see it coming from posters claiming to be fans of this team. Show some friggin Faith.

And to people like Dustin, get a friggin clue. I probably won't be posting here in a while, but you...just keep doing your thing. I'll hit you up next time Fanduel is doing another million dollar challenge. I mean, I'm sure you can spare a few million, because "you're always right".

Give me a friggin break. I'm sure you were singing the praises for Hakeem Nicks last year after he outproduced Moncrief over the first 6 games. How many catches was he "on pace" for then?

would you like some cheese with that whine? Geez give me a "friggin" break

:chillpill: