Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ray McDonald Arrested on Domestic Violence, Child Endangerment Charges

shakedownstreet

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Ray-McDonald-Arrested-Domestic-Violence-SJPD-Sources-304911011.html

Former San Francisco 49er-turned-Chicago Bear Ray McDonald has been arrested on domestic violence and child endangerment charges, Santa Clara police said on Monday.

Lt. Kurt Clarke said more details would be released within the hour.

NBC Bay Area was the first to break the story.

According to sources, he was arrested at the home of retired 49er Justin Smith in the Silver Creek neighborhood of San Jose. Neighbors said they saw police cars about 6 a.m. Monday.

Another source said that he rents an apartment in Santa Clara on Carlyle Court for his ex-fiancee and baby. The source said that on Sunday night, McDonald went out with friends and wanted to return to the apartment and asked her to leave. He left to give her some space, the source said, and when he returned, the police had been called.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either he got issues or his woman is loco.

True...but with signed paper in the front office for millions of dollars.....and the only stipulation is: Stay out of fights with women??.

Get away from her and stay away.

If you cant..or wont...you dont need to be in the NFL right now

True...but with signed paper in the front office for millions of dollars.....and the only stipulation is: Stay out of fights with women??.

Get away from her and stay away.

If you cant..or wont...you dont need to be in the NFL right now

"wanted to return to the apartment and asked her to leave. He left to give her some space, the source said, and when he returned, the police had been called."

Sounds kinda peculiar...

Not too clear on this. I will wait to hear more details before throwing him away. She could have made some stuff up when he told her to leave? I don't know. If he did hit her at anytime he needs to go to jail for sure.

Agreed. I'll reserve judgment until I learn more. Media and fans like to jump on these stories and rarely give the athletes the benefit of the doubt. We don't know enough about what happened to say he belongs in prison, as a member here suggested. I remember that TMZ story about Colin Kaepernick around this time last year. It turned out to be a false accusation and we did not hear about it again.

I know NFL players party a lot, large number of them probably get themselves involved with unsavory people...

But I followed his career at UF and NFL for quite a few years. No issues at all, but suddenly has 3 accusations of domestic issues in less than 10 months, something seems off.

Ray McDonald had a job, E I E I O! haha

I have no dog in this hunt...but the article merely says he was arrested for "assaulting a woman while she was holding a baby"  and the police arrested him at another location...not even at the seen. 

What exactly does that quote mean?  What exactly did she report him doing?  Apparently, there were no injuries...IOW proof...of an assault, so what exactly did MacDonald do to the woman to constitute the use of the word "assault".

Perhaps where there is smoke there is fire, but I don't even see much smoke there...as it is being reported so far. 

Most of the article talks about a past situation that involves another woman with a somewhat twisted mind.  Only about the first few sentences talks about the most recent incident.

You know what Ray is guilty of?  Continuously putting himself in bad spots and making poor decisions.  That's the minimum!  At least 3 incidents since last August, 2014.  The problem in the league is Super talented guys get extra chances.  Teams (like the Bears) sign a guy with a very checkered past, and do it on the cheap. Thet take criticism for it, and justify it saying they did their due diligence checking him out. Ray says he's learned from past situations. Not.  Now the Bears truly deserve every bit of the criticism they received.

The majority of domestic abuse cases never go to trial. McDonald has not been charged with a crime, and the fact that someone is not charged with assault or their case never gets to trial is not proof of innocence.  The new NFL policy is not dependent upon the justice system to weed out the undesirables.  This site shows how bad the problem in society is, and how the justice system seems broken addressing it-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/23/domestic-violence-statistics_n_5959776.html

The teams/GM's are starting to sour on 'chronic problem guy'.  But some will always try to get a player on the cheap.  If the league started docking teams draft picks for failed signings of players with multiple violations, that would stop teams from signing those players with administering Rehab...  which is what is needed, not 'getting cut'.  if they fail rehab, the perma-ban. the stakes are higher here than recovering for substance abuse rehab.

The teams/GM's are starting to sour on 'chronic problem guy'.  But some will always try to get a player on the cheap.  If the league started docking teams draft picks for failed signings of players with multiple violations, that would stop teams from signing those players with administering Rehab...  which is what is needed, not 'getting cut'.  if they fail rehab, the perma-ban. the stakes are higher here than recovering for substance abuse rehab.

Thankfully, this will never happen. 

I saw this yesterday, but didnt' get to read.  Figured it was just new charges for the offense that was never charged last year.  But this is an entirely new set of events.  This guy needs serious help.  It's hard to understand how someone can be present during so many circumstances that lead to an arrest for DV.

Thankfully, this will never happen. 

Exactly.  Because nobody in the NFL wants to help fix the problems, just move it off their docket. If they did, there would be rehab for DV like drug abuse. And largely meaningful and escalating team and player punishments for continued infractions.

So we just have to endure to continue they way we are going.  Between Cubans "Greedy" prediction and loss of players at the lowest grass roots levels, the NFL could be headed to implosion within 10 years.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2014/08/17/some-kids-say-football-not-worth-the-effort.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/zone-beginning-football-attack-youth-level-article-1.1963462

He does not have women issues, he does have violence issues. Keep in mind the size and strength of these players hitting women. To me it is zero confidence in one's self and zero self esteem. Or to put it another way, zero masculinity.

Exactly. Because nobody in the NFL wants to help fix the problems, just move it off their docket. If they did, there would be rehab for DV like drug abuse. And largely meaningful and escalating team and player punishments for continued infractions.

So we just have to endure to continue they way we are going. Between Cubans "Greedy" prediction and loss of players at the lowest grass roots levels, the NFL could be headed to implosion within 10 years.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2014/08/17/some-kids-say-football-not-worth-the-effort.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/zone-beginning-football-attack-youth-level-article-1.1963462

Cuban is jealous of the success of the NFL. The league isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Certainly not in the next ten years

Exactly.  Because nobody in the NFL wants to help fix the problems, just move it off their docket. If they did, there would be rehab for DV like drug abuse. And largely meaningful and escalating team and player punishments for continued infractions.

So we just have to endure to continue they way we are going.  Between Cubans "Greedy" prediction and loss of players at the lowest grass roots levels, the NFL could be headed to implosion within 10 years.

Your complaint is misplaced.  Without the NFLPA's approval, the NFL can't just unilaterally require players to attend treatment/rehab programs.  It would have to go through the collective bargaining process, much like the drug abuse policy has been.  If the NFL, in addition to a suspension (which is, already collectively bargained by teh way) were to require a player to attend rehab therapy, it would be shot down immediately by the NFLPA because the NFL doesn't have authority to do that.  

Why is it the NFL's job to fix societal issues?

Is it  not everyone's responsibility to help societal issues as and how they can?  At the minimum, you certainly don't give the violators power and money (by letting them play) to outwit the injured party through high priced lawyering up and judicial tricks.  That van allow them to feel further empowered to 'get away with it' again at a later date.

No one wants to deal with the problem, just brush the issue of onf to someone else and call it a day.  It's they we've always done it, so we shall continue to do so. IMO, that's the way it is.

Is it  not everyone's responsibility to help societal issues as and how they can?  At the minimum, you certainly don't give the violators power and money (by letting them play) to outwit the injured party through high priced lawyering up and judicial tricks.  That van allow them to feel further empowered to 'get away with it' again at a later date.

No one wants to deal with the problem, just brush the issue of onf to someone else and call it a day.  It's they we've always done it, so we shall continue to do so. IMO, that's the way it is.

Everyone has a responsibility, but you're holding the NFL accountable for the actions of individuals. We don't do that with any other organization. Maybe the military, but they've recently had high profile failings in this regard.

And in this case, the Niners got rid of McDonald after a second offense, the Bears took a chance on him, and then got rid of him after this issue (before paying him a penny), and I doubt anyone else will go near him.

I'd also like to point out that Ray McDonald hasn't been found guilty of anything that he's been accused of. Previous charges have been thrown out, and he hasn't even been charged with anything related to the other reports. That all might change, and it certainly doesn't look good that he's repeatedly been involved in situations like this, but your comment assumes that he is guilty.

So my points of contention are many. And that's before we get to the significant steps the NFL has taken over the past year to better handle issues of domestic violence. They're not perfect, and they have a long way to go, but even as the league gets better in handling these situations, there will still be players that do bad things. The NFL can't change that, and I personally don't hold them responsible for the poor behavior of their players.

Your complaint is misplaced.  Without the NFLPA's approval, the NFL can't just unilaterally require players to attend treatment/rehab programs.  It would have to go through the collective bargaining process, much like the drug abuse policy has been.  If the NFL, in addition to a suspension (which is, already collectively bargained by teh way) were to require a player to attend rehab therapy, it would be shot down immediately by the NFLPA because the NFL doesn't have authority to do that.  

I didn't mean For Goodell to unilaterally impose, but come to the bargaining table.  Maybe the league trades off Commissioner hearing appeals for the added provisions for the additions to the conduct policy.  If all the leverage they have is fines, nothing will ever get solved. And football will continue to get less players in its ranks and a poorer product as the years go on. 

OTOH, the whole new DV addition to the conduct policy was unilaterally imposed, that wasn't collectively bargained.  And the NFLPA refused to send any representative to the Senate Hearing on Domestic Violence last December.  Here's the response of a Senator about that-

**in a remark directed at the NFL Players Association, Sen. Dean Heller, a Nevada Republican, said: "When you're worried more about getting back on the field, instead of stopping abuse, your priorities are out of order."

That Senate hearing was to see where the 4 leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL) and each league sent League and Player reps, (except the NFLPA) to invetigate current policies and to see what could be done in the future.

Rockerfeller opened the hearing this way-

Rockefeller said he called for the hearing because "until very recently, the leagues' records have not been good" on the issue.

Rockefeller added that "the leagues have done little or nothing in response" when players have been charged or convicted for domestic violence.

Everyone has a responsibility, but you're holding the NFL accountable for the actions of individuals. We don't do that with any other organization. Maybe the military, but they've recently had high profile failings in this regard.

And in this case, the Niners got rid of McDonald after a second offense, the Bears took a chance on him, and then got rid of him after this issue (before paying him a penny), and I doubt anyone else will go near him.

I'd also like to point out that Ray McDonald hasn't been found guilty of anything that he's been accused of. Previous charges have been thrown out, and he hasn't even been charged with anything related to the other reports. That all might change, and it certainly doesn't look good that he's repeatedly been involved in situations like this, but your comment assumes that he is guilty.

So my points of contention are many. And that's before we get to the significant steps the NFL has taken over the past year to better handle issues of domestic violence. They're not perfect, and they have a long way to go, but even as the league gets better in handling these situations, there will still be players that do bad things. The NFL can't change that, and I personally don't hold them responsible for the poor behavior of their players.

To answer Q's about no charges, this happens all of the time. Here's interesting piece to ponder-

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/17/sports/football/an-accusation-of-abuse-then-special-treatment-for-nfl-player.html?module=Search&mabReward=relbias%3Aw%2C{%221%22%3A%22RI%3A8%22}&_r=0

Some thoughts from Senators last December 2, 2014-

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

“When a celebrity athlete is charged with committing domestic violence, it uniquely reverberates through society in unique ways,” said Senator Jay Rockefeller,

Members of the committee cautioned that players should not “hide” behind collective bargaining agreements to avoid suspensions. Some even suggested that the N.F.L.’s tax-exempt status should be revoked if it does not improve its handling of domestic violence cases.

Senator Claire McCaskill, Democrat of Missouri, said the domestic abuse issues extend to all of the leagues — and that they must do more to hold players accountable.

“Perpetrators know if they can only get their victims to recant, refuse to cooperate, threaten their financial future, threaten the futures of their families’ financial status, or put them on an airplane to Venezuela — if they can accomplish those things — then nothing will happen,” McCaskill said.

Troy Vincent, a former N.F.L. player who is now a league executive, testified that the league and its players understand the anger and that reforms are underway. In light of the Rice case, the N.F.L. has announced several measures, including hiring domestic violence experts, introducing more counseling and mandating stricter penalties for players caught committing domestic violence.

“We recognize that we have to break the culture of silence,” said Vincent, who choked back tears earlier in the hearing as spoke of abuse in his own home as a child.

None of the league commissioners appeared at the hearing — a point that drew the ire of Rockefeller, who will soon retire at the end of his fifth term.

“When witnesses refuse to show up and testify, my experience tells me that they are afraid of something,” Rockefeller said in his opening statement. “Given the scope and severity of this problem, I find their absence troubling.”

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

This doesn't sound like a group that is OK with how the Leagues are handling these issues to me.  Someone else will give McDonald a shot, without him receiving any help.

I didn't mean For Goodell to unilaterally impose, but come to the bargaining table.  Maybe the league trades off Commissioner hearing appeals for the added provisions for the additions to the conduct policy.  If all the leverage they have is fines, nothing will ever get solved. And football will continue to get less players in its ranks and a poorer product as the years go on. 

OTOH, the whole new DV addition to the conduct policy was unilaterally imposed, that wasn't collectively bargained.  And the NFLPA refused to send any representative to the Senate Hearing on Domestic Violence last December.  Here's the response of a Senator about that-

**in a remark directed at the NFL Players Association, Sen. Dean Heller, a Nevada Republican, said: "When you're worried more about getting back on the field, instead of stopping abuse, your priorities are out of order."

That Senate hearing was to see where the 4 leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL) and each league sent League and Player reps, (except the NFLPA) to invetigate current policies and to see what could be done in the future.

Rockerfeller opened the hearing this way-

Rockefeller said he called for the hearing because "until very recently, the leagues' records have not been good" on the issue.

Rockefeller added that "the leagues have done little or nothing in response" when players have been charged or convicted for domestic violence.

Also in the new unilaterall imposed DV, I thought these were included-

The revised policy lays out a clear series of steps to be taken when there is an incident that requires review. New measures include:

- Additional NFL-funded counseling and services for victims, families, and violators.

- A more extensive list of prohibited conduct.

- Independent investigative procedures.

- Specific criteria for paid leave for an individual formally charged with a crime of violence, including domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse.

- An expert group of outside advisors to review and evaluate potential violations and consult on other elements of the policy.

- A baseline suspension of six games without pay for violations involving assault, battery, domestic violence, dating violence, child abuse, other forms of family violence, or sexual assault, with consideration given to possible mitigating or aggravating circumstances.

Yet the Senate says it's not enough and is threatening the revocation of the Tax Exempt status again...

To answer Q's about no charges, this happens all of the time. Here's interesting piece to ponder-

Due process exists for a reason. I know that there are things that happen to influence victims and witnesses, and that's too bad. But that doesn't mean we should act like every person who is accused is guilty.

The NFL has decided to operate separately from the legal process, where appropriate, and to work on a different standard when it comes to proof, guilt, punishment, etc. Greg Hardy is an example of that; all charges dropped, but he's still suspended, and that's after sitting out almost a full season while the situation was "resolved." And in situations like this, the NFL is treated as if it's responsible for these issues, not the player that has gotten himself in trouble.

I'm not sure that the opinions of Rockefeller and McCaskill are relevant or have any influence, when all is said and done. The NFL has already taken significant steps to better address these issues. The pols are now on the record, which is great for them, but it doesn't really make any difference. You're still dealing with a league made up of 2,000 individuals with varied backgrounds and circumstances.

Yet the Senate says it's not enough and is threatening the revocation of the Tax Exempt status again...

Two things: 

1) I'm pretty sure the Senate can't revoke an entity's tax exempt status because they don't like their employee conduct policy, unless they're deeming them an illegally run or terrorist organization.

2) The NFL already surrendered its tax exempt status, mostly because they don't want to have to make public disclosures anymore. All told, it will have little impact on the league's operations, as the league exists as a trade organization and the profits are split between the 32 teams, all of which pay taxes. All this changes is that we don't get to complain about how much money Roger Goodell makes, because it won't be released to the public anymore.