Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phillip Dorsett will have a better season than Donte Moncrief.

horseshoeblue22

Phillip Dorsett is not our "4th wide receiver at best." He is our 3rd WR target, and the heir apparent to Andre Johnson two or three years down the road.

He will finish the season with more yards, more catches, more targets and more touchdowns than Donte Moncrief.

Donte Moncrief is a talented player, but I think he is pretty overrated around here. It reminds me of how fans were labeling Da'Rick Rogers as the "next Marvin Harrison" after he had a 100 yard game or two. The "Feed Moncrief" trend got a little too much traction, we all have to admit. Moncrief is still a VERY raw route runner, and only seems to excel at deep passes.

Raw stats don't tell the whole story, but let's look on Moncrief's rookie season.

32 Catches, 444 Yards, 13.9 YPC average, 3 TDs

He had two 100 yard games. One against the Steelers (113) where he had a 52 yard catch. The other came against the Redskins (134) where 79 yards came on one catch. Over 1/4 of his total yardage came off of two catches.

Only two other times (JAX, week 3 and CIN, wildcard) did Moncrief even have 50 yards receiving in a game.

You can argue that Moncrief was under utilized last season, but is he really any different than a LaVon Brazill or Da'Rick Rogers? He has immense physical talent, but the reason he fell to the 3rd round to begin with is because he is lacking the refined skills of an NFL wide receiver. He is not a natural catcher, he runs a limited route tree, isn't as fast as Dorsett, and isn't an excellent run blocker.

Meanwhile, the coaching staff can't stop saying good things about Dorsett long enough to say anything about Moncrief. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dorsett will make fools out of those that whined after he was selected at 1.29.

He runs better routes , is faster and has better hands than Montcrief. I don't think by a wide margin in any of those categories , although I hate the way Montcrief lets balls get into his body. As far as which player has the most production ? I dunno if both will be healthy for 16 games and what packages Pep will utilize the most. 

Why does it have to be a competition between our WRs?

You realize what sport we are talking about, right? This is football, at its highest level. The offensive line competes against each other for playing time. The linebackers compete against each other for playing time. Why would our WRs be any different? Even Adam Vinatieri is competing against another kicker in camp. No one can take their job for granted, iron sharpens iron...thats what training camp is all about. But in house competition doesnt end when camp breaks. This is the NFL, where players are constantly being replaced by younger, more effective players.

I see countless posts regarding the Dorsett pick..."Why pick a WR in the first when we have Moncrief and Duron Carter?"

Moncrief was our 4th WR last year, he'll be our 4th WR again this year. I don't see why anyone would be surprised by this. He has barely 400 career rec yards, far from an irreplacable superstar. Duron Carter has 0 career NFL catches, and a history of poor work ethic. The coaching staff isn't and shouldn't be counting on him to make a big impact. I don't see why anyone would be surprised by this.

Dorsett will make fools out of those that whined after he was selected at 1.29.

He runs better routes , is faster and has better hands than Montcrief. I don't think by a wide margin in any of those categories , although I hate the way Montcrief lets balls get into his body. As far as which player has the most production ? I dunno if both will be healthy for 16 games and what packages Pep will utilize the most.

I like Dorsett, but I still loath the pick.

Phillip Dorsett is not our "4th wide receiver at best." He is our 3rd WR target, and the heir apparent to Andre Johnson two or three years down the road.

He will finish the season with more yards, more catches, more targets and more touchdowns than Donte Moncrief.

Donte Moncrief is a talented player, but I think he is pretty overrated around here. It reminds me of how fans were labeling Da'Rick Rogers as the "next Marvin Harrison" after he had a 100 yard game or two. The "Feed Moncrief" trend got a little too much traction, we all have to admit. Moncrief is still a VERY raw route runner, and only seems to excel at deep passes.

Raw stats don't tell the whole story, but let's look on Moncrief's rookie season.

He had two 100 yard games. One against the Steelers (113) where he had a 52 yard catch. The other came against the Redskins (134) where 79 yards came on one catch. Over 1/4 of his total yardage came off of two catches.

Only two other times (JAX, week 3 and CIN, wildcard) did Moncrief even have 50 yards receiving in a game.

You can argue that Moncrief was under utilized last season, but is he really any different than a LaVon Brazill or Da'Rick Rogers? He has immense physical talent, but the reason he fell to the 3rd round to begin with is because he is lacking the refined skills of an NFL wide receiver. He is not a natural catcher, he runs a limited route tree, isn't as fast as Dorsett, and isn't an excellent run blocker.

Meanwhile, the coaching staff can't stop saying good things about Dorsett long enough to say anything about Moncrief.

In your arguments that Moncreif had 2 games over 100 yards was because of 1 big yardage catch in each of the 2 games he went over a 100 yards could be said of many of the big play wr's in the league. You did point out he could have been under utilized as well and I think he was but he was a rookie and you wouldn't expect a 3 Rd round guy to come in and light it up every week. If RW wasn't such a huge fan and team favorite, I guarantee, based off of RW's play last year, Moncreif would have seen more time and been more involved in the offense for better or worse.

As for your argument about Moncreif being limited in route running etc...well that is a big knock on Dorsett as I recall as well is his route running is not refined either. Dorset is speed and had most of his yards on big plays behind the defense. Moncreif has 1 year in the system and and should be ahead of Dorsett on knowing the route tree and keys from defenses. He also has size and enough speed to be a very good WR in the league. You say the team can't say enough good things about Dorsett? They still have to sell picking a luxury pick to the base because of the big perceived need for defensive talent that was available at the time we picked. They have to talk about how good the kid looks and what a sponge and how he fits in and all those rah rah things. This kid has to perform because of his draft pick and the circumstances around the pick. If the kid doesn't produce at the beginning of the year and our defense struggles or if the offensive line falters at RT, this front office will get cooked in the media. They have to sell this kid and he has to produce results.

I still believe Moncreif will see the starting nod before Dorsett though and produce. Maybe it comes down to which player gets the route tree refined first between the two.

In your arguments that Moncreif had 2 games over 100 yards was because of 1 big yardage catch in each of the 2 games he went over a 100 yards could be said of many of the big play wr's in the league. You did point out he could have been under utilized as well and I think he was but he was a rookie and you wouldn't expect a 3 Rd round guy to come in and light it up every week. If RW wasn't such a huge fan and team favorite, I guarantee, based off of RW's play last year, Moncreif would have seen more time and been more involved in the offense for better or worse.

As for your argument about Moncreif being limited in route running etc...well that is a big knock on Dorsett as I recall as well is his route running is not refined either. Dorset is speed and had most of his yards on big plays behind the defense. Moncreif has 1 year in the system and and should be ahead of Dorsett on knowing the route tree and keys from defenses. He also has size and enough speed to be a very good WR in the league. You say the team can't say enough good things about Dorsett? They still have to sell picking a luxury pick to the base because of the big perceived need for defensive talent that was available at the time we picked. They have to talk about how good the kid looks and what a sponge and how he fits in and all those rah rah things. This kid has to perform because of his draft pick and the circumstances around the pick. If the kid doesn't produce at the beginning of the year and our defense struggles or if the offensive line falters at RT, this front office will get cooked in the media. They have to sell this kid and he has to produce results.

I still believe Moncreif will see the starting nod before Dorsett though and produce. Maybe it comes down to which player gets the route tree refined first between the two.

Moncrief overrated? Lol, the kid is a flat out beast. Big, fast, good hands and very physical. Not sure what guy you have been watching. He is hands down way better than Dahhhh-rick

Let's hold off on calling Moncrief a beast. He has a lot of work to do

I like Dorsett, but I still loath the pick.

Thing about "loathing the pick "is that you'll never really know who the Colts would have selected if they decided to pass on Dorsett for the obvious reasons. They may have even traded down which then makes it about impossible to even guess at what they would have had ended up with. So all we can do is really just see how it works out and revisit this in a couple of years. 

Thing about "loathing the pick "is that you'll never really know who the Colts would have selected if they decided to pass on Dorsett for the obvious reasons. They may have even traded down which then makes it about impossible to even guess at what they would have had ended up with. So all we can do is really just see how it works out and revisit this in a couple of years.

I believe Doesett will be a quality player, but I don't put a high value on receivers. I'm a get a QB and build the trenches guy, but that's just me.

Let's hold off on calling Moncrief a beast. He has a lot of work to do

He was our most physical reliever on the team last year. At 6'2-220 he more physical than Dorsett. Somethin like a beast, he'll be a beast on the 13th

I believe Doesett will be a quality player, but I don't put a high value on receivers. I'm a get a QB and build the trenches guy, but that's just me.

I can agree with you there. It ALL starts in the trenches in both sides of the ball.

I can appreciate that . But if you think back to last year , Luck really struggled when Wayne was too banged up to contribute and Allen had the sprained ankle. Take a peek at his passer ratings over the last 5-6 games. Problem with what you have is that today's NFL is a passing league. If you are down to one outstanding target , teams are now very adept at taking that guy out and making you beat them with your other guys. When Hilton was neutralized , it left us with a almost useless RW , (or Nicks) a rookie and Fleener. I agree that the "trenches" are paramount as you say but if you have the franchise guy like Luck , you have to give him some weapons.

He was our most physical reliever on the team last year. At 6'2-220 he more physical than Dorsett. Somethin like a beast, he'll be a beast on the 13th

He's physical after the catch, not so much going up for the ball. Kinda odd given his size.

I can appreciate that . But if you think back to last year , Luck really struggled when Wayne was too banged up to contribute and Allen had the sprained ankle. Take a peek at his passer ratings over the last 5-6 games. Problem with what you have is that today's NFL is a passing league. If you are down to one outstanding target , teams are now very adept at taking that guy out and making you beat them with your other guys. When Hilton was neutralized , it left us with a almost useless RW , (or Nicks) a rookie and Fleener. I agree that the "trenches" are paramount as you say but if you have the franchise guy like Luck , you have to give him some weapons.

Those weapons would be freed up more if the colts actually had a viable running game. Sure, the colts receivers couldn't get open vs the patriots, but it doesn't help when the pats drop everyone and don't concern themselves with the run.

Those weapons would be freed up more if the colts actually had a viable running game. Sure, the colts receivers couldn't get open vs the patriots, but it doesn't help when the pats drop everyone and don't concern themselves with the run.

ironically herron was averaging 5 ypc.  it really killed me that we were so quick to abandon the run in a game that was not yet out of hand. 

i think boom could have done some damage, and possibly helped our passing game get off the ground too.

tired of the patriots out coaching us

I can appreciate your point of view. I'm not sure why some others feel that they have to put you down, or this thread, but to each their own. I think it's a good topic of discussion.

1. What if Dorsett does become our #3 WR? What does that mean for Moncrief and his development? Personally, I see a rotation at all receiver positions. Dorsett can come in at the slot and also play out wide for T.Y. at times. Moncrief can play outside and can come in for A. Johnson, at times. They should all see playing time.

2. Moncrief showed his big play ability and earned every bit of those 100-yard games. In the Pitt game, he took a 10-yard route and turned up field for a huge gain. That's what you want to see from a play maker. I'm not sure that you can knock him for that. Also, the other receptions show that he can play the intermediate game, thus, showing he can run all the routes in the route tree-- not just the deep routes.

3. Nicks was the #3 receiver most of the year. Moncrief was the #4. If the roles were reversed, Moncrief would've had a better year. If I was a coach, I too would've erred on the side of caution and started a veteran receiver. Moncrief showed enough in practice and in games to earn more playing time.

4. In order for Dorsett to justify being the #1 pick, he should be a contributor. I fully expect that he will next year and onward, but for this year he needs to justify Grigsons pick. I hope that he shows to be a play maker, otherwise Grigson........

My point is that when Wayne and Allen were healthy , Luck was on schedule to easily break the yardage record and throw for 50 Tds. The O line actually protected him better later in the season but he no doubt struggled when he lost some weapons.  Another thing neither of us mentions (which supports both our arguments ) is Bradshaw also went down. 

Anyway . I'm not looking to argue that O Line and D line are not important as only a full fledged * would assert that. And yes a running game for sure helps your passing game.  All I'm saying is if you have a Luck , Manning or Rodgers , IMO most GM's are going to make sure they have weapons. It's no accident that all 3 of those guys have top 5 WR's . Matt Ryan is a top QB and Atlanta has 2 No 1 WR's. Conversely if you look at the Saints , it appears that maybe Brees has slipped a bit due to what now appears to be an average to below average WR group. 

He's physical after the catch, not so much going up for the ball. Kinda odd given his size.

You're right on that. I agree with your comment that he needs to improve. But I think he has a lot of talent. I like Dorsett also. They just need to get their big boy pants on and come out and ball. Playing with grown men now.

My point is that when Wayne and Allen were healthy , Luck was on schedule to easily break the yardage record and throw for 50 Tds. The O line actually protected him better later in the season but he no doubt struggled when he lost some weapons.  Another thing neither of us mentions (which supports both our arguments ) is Bradshaw also went down. 

Anyway . I'm not looking to argue that O Line and D line are not important as only a full fledged * would assert that. And yes a running game for sure helps your passing game.  All I'm saying is if you have a Luck , Manning or Rodgers , IMO most GM's are going to make sure they have weapons. It's no accident that all 3 of those guys have top 5 WR's . Matt Ryan is a top QB and Atlanta has 2 No 1 WR's. Conversely if you look at the Saints , it appears that maybe Brees has slipped a bit due to what now appears to be an average to below average WR group.

He needs weapons, but you don't need to spend high picks to get them. Packers, and Pittsburgh are excellent examples of that. Receivers aren't a dime a dozen, but it's getting close.

Yeah, and that T.Y. Hilton guy can't do anything either. Otherwise he wouldn't have fallen to the third round. 

Dwayne Allen? What a chump. Third round camp fodder.

Don't even get me started on Jonathan Newsome. That joker was drafted in the FIFTH round. Bah, he'll never be better than a practice squad player.

I can't believe that Grandpa Mathis is still on the team, considering he was a fifth rounder. What has that guy ever done for us?

What we really need is more first round players. Like LaRon Landry and Bjoern Werner on this team. That's how we win football games. 

He needs weapons, but you don't need to spend high picks to get them. Packers, and Pittsburgh are excellent examples of that. Receivers aren't a dime a dozen, but it's getting close.

Dunno if that's really true. I think the amount drafted in first round even trumps the # of O Linemen as you have 5 startingO linemen on each team. In any event very significant # of WR's taken early

2015   First 41 picks included 9 WR's. ( 6 in first round)

2014   First 45  picks included 8 WR's (5in first round)

Franchise tags seem to indicate teams value the position as much as any other excluding QB and DE....

Quarterbacks: $18.51 million (That's up significantly from $16.91 million last year). 

Running backs: $10.93 million

Wide receivers: $12.80 million

Tight ends: $8.33 million

Offensive linemen: $12.93 million

Defensive tackle: $11.17 million

Defensive ends: $14.78 million

Linebackers: $13.17 million

Cornerbacks: $13.05 million

Safeties: $9.60 million

Kickers/Punters: $4.12 million

The Colts in fact tried to trade their pick. They didn't find a

suitor so they said put. Dorsett then fell right into their hands. Watch the part 1 of our draft on youtube. Grigson says it himself. You were right on!

Dunno if that's really true. I think the amount drafted in first round even trumps the # of O Linemen as you have 5 startingO linemen on each team. In any event very significant # of WR's taken early

2015   First 41 picks included 9 WR's. ( 6 in first round)

2014   First 45  picks included 8 WR's (5in first round)

Franchise tags seem to indicate teams value the position as much as any other excluding QB and DE....

Quarterbacks: $18.51 million (That's up significantly from $16.91 million last year). 

Running backs: $10.93 million

Wide receivers: $12.80 million

Tight ends: $8.33 million

Offensive linemen: $12.93 million

Defensive tackle: $11.17 million

Defensive ends: $14.78 million

Linebackers: $13.17 million

Cornerbacks: $13.05 million

Safeties: $9.60 million

Kickers/Punters: $4.12 million

The points is that while you can draft a quality WR in the first round,  you can also draft quality WR's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Which is exactly what teams like Green Bay and Pittsburgh have done.   And they've all been hits not misses.

You can find quality WR's after the 1st round because there are so many of them that they all can't go in the first.

As to the OP......  I expect Dorsett to be our 3rd WR,  but I see no reason at all to knock Moncrief in the process.    Moncrief had a very good rookie season,  he's got nothing to apologize for.    So, he'll be the 4th WR again this year.   And maybe even also in 2016.    OK,  great for the Colts.    And when Andre Johnson is done,  Moncrief will be there to step into the 3rd WR spot.

It's a win-win for the Colts.

I'm a Colts fan and all I know is we have two great young talented recievers that will compliment each other for years too come. They both will help this Colts team win a lot of football games. I could care less about who has a better season as long as they both stay healthy, play hard, and are good character guys.

The points is that while you can draft a quality WR in the first round,  you can also draft quality WR's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Which is exactly what teams like Green Bay and Pittsburgh have done.   And they've all been hits not misses.

You can find quality WR's after the 1st round because there are so many of them that they all can't go in the first.

As to the OP......  I expect Dorsett to be our 3rd WR,  but I see no reason at all to knock Moncrief in the process.    Moncrief had a very good rookie season,  he's got nothing to apologize for.    So, he'll be the 4th WR again this year.   And maybe even also in 2016.    OK,  great for the Colts.    And when Andre Johnson is done,  Moncrief will be there to step into the 3rd WR spot.

It's a win-win for the Colts.

As you can draft quality O linemen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. My point is that if you go by GM's , you will see that they appear to not have that exact same sentiment. Hence the most recent draft showing 9 of the first 41 picks to be WR's. That should slam dunk my argument but I guess I won't just declare it a win. But I'm pretty good at math and what I can gleen out of that # is the following....

You have 22 starting players on your roster. Let's allot 2.5 to the WR position. That would be 11.3% of your starting 12 that are WR's. Of the first 41 players selected in the last NFL draft you have 11 Wr's which would be 26 %. If you do by just the first round , it would be 18.75. 

I mean C'mon just because Pittsburgh and Green Bay found some nice value at WR in the last few drafts . Furthermore , unlike Pittsburgh which really did as you guys claim , GB did spend 2nd rounders on their guys. Cobb and Nelson were both drafted in the 2nd and they just took another WR in 2015 in the 2nd .. Davante Adams. In all fairness all 3 were toward the bottom of the 2nd but then again Dorsett is the bottom of round 1.