Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Im not too sure about dorsett as a kickreturner...

bap1331

We'll find out when the season starts cause he's going to be back there.  He'll be just fine because he's fearless.

Also you don't even see very many kicks get returned in the NFL because the bulk of them go out the back of the end zone.

We'll probably see more action from him as a punt returner than a kick returner.  If we see the opposite then that means our defense is pretty terrible.

If it helps the team, make the rookie do it.  We complain about drafting him into a deep position group, but we're afraid to get him experience on the field because he might get hurt?

If he's the best man for the job, he should be the one returning kicks and punts.

Im thinking I would rather carter do the returns. Hes bigger and can handle big hits but dorsett is pretty small.

The Pats always have small guys field their returns and they do fine. Hell, Welker they were overworking that poor guy with all the return duties, AND having him in play practically every down. Despite that, he somehow still ran faster than anyone I've seen. I would scream at my TV, telling them to take that boy out, cause he's going to die on the field, but the Pats don't care about that.

Im thinking I would rather carter do the returns. Hes bigger and can handle big hits but dorsett is pretty small.

You want smaller faster returners.  Carter is at the very least too slow.

Might as well have Dorsett doing it.  He's likely to be our #4 receiver at best.

Its likely that Dorsett will be our kick returner along with competing with Moncrief to be our third WR. Quan Bray, if he makes the team, would also be an option as our returner. We are giving Carter a chance to show he can do it, but I would rather see a guy with some lateral quickness as opposed to just having a guy out there who can catch it and run forward a couple yards.

I dont think its such a bad idea having him back there honestly. His speed would be a great asset back there. We haven't had a dynamic return man in quite some time. He is isnt going to be starting so any contribution he can make would be great, and Special Teams IMO is under valued these days great field position can make a difference in any game,

Grigs has made several moves that have indicated a fairly serious intention of improving the return game...

I would say Dorsett's potential as a return guy played at least a minor role in the thought process behind drafting the guy...

So yeah let the guy return kicks & punts...

You want smaller faster returners. Carter is at the very least too slow.

Might as well have Dorsett doing it. He's likely to be our #4 receiver at best.

dorsett is better than moncrief. He will probably end up being number 3

Dorsett is no smaller than hilton is in fact dorsett is a bit heavier Hilton is 5 foot 9 178 while dorsett is 5 foot 10 inches and is 185 pounds so he could withstand it.

You want smaller faster returners.  Carter is at the very least too slow.

Might as well have Dorsett doing it.  He's likely to be our #4 receiver at best.

Does that mean he might be our No 5 ? Wow... I had higher hopes than that for a 4.3 guy that runs great routes and has very good hands.

I'm worried about his knee. Obviously in today's sports a torn ACL/MCL isn't a big deal but I feel like we shouldn't take the chance on kick or punt returns with him.

I don't think it was bad for him in college and hopefully he will be okay in the NFL!

I would like to see Smith do it.  CBs, in general, have equal speed but better lateral agility than WRs, which is what you want from your punt returner.  It's all about making guys miss not straight line speed.  That being said, I Dorsett can just outrun guys if he gets a hole and that would be really exciting.

Does that mean he might be our No 5 ? Wow... I had higher hopes than that for a 4.3 guy that runs great routes and has very good hands.

Hard to say I would expect him to beat out Carter, but a year of experience can be huge in the NFL.  I don't think he will beat out Moncrief.  At least not yet.