Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Tannehill Got 96 mil, and Wilson will get more...What will Luck get

Freeupfreeney

Probably somewhere around 25 million a year (in new money), when it's all said and done. Something like 5 year, 125 million or 6 year 150 million. It won't be any longer or any shorter then 5-6 (new) years.

Luck's deal will make him the highest paid player in the league, and in the history of the league. I don't see how his agent would allow him to accept anything less.

The price could be ungodly. Can we do 8-9 year contracts, cuz Wilson gonna get at least 105 million. Luck, He is gonna probably be at 115 million. Why, or Why did the dolphins do that. They are so dumb.

Do you know what the impact of the Dolphins deal with Tannehill is to the Colts and Luck?

Nothing.    Nada.    Zip.    Zero.

I guess you haven't noticed,  but Ryan Tannehill is a pretty good quarterback and that's what they're going to pay him.

But it mean's nothing to the Colts.    Luck is going to get more than $20 Mill per and that's been known for years.

The only questions how many years and how many millions per?     It's more than $20 Mill per.    Probably less than $25 Mill per.

One would guess at least 6 years and no more than 8 years.

But it will likely be restructured so Luck can get more guaranteed money every few years and the Colts will be able to get some salary cap relief.

The Dolphins didn't do anything wrong signing up Tannehill.    He's a good QB and he's gotten better every year.

Tannehill has increased his total in TDs, pass yards, completion percentage, completions, and rush yards.  With solid WRs and TEs he has the skills to be Top 10 in the next couple years.  His QB rating has gone from 76.1 in his rookie year to 92.8 last year.  

I don't see management giving him a deal longer than 6 years. We know his deal will have massive guarantees. If unforeseen injuries occur, I would hate to see this team paying out guaranteed bonuses for the next 8 years. The average extension for NFL players is somewhere around 4-5 years. It's very rare any more you see a 7 year extension, let alone a 8-10 year deal. I believe Tyron Smith is the only player to agree to those kinds of terms in a long time.

Probably somewhere around 25 million a year (in new money), when it's all said and done. Something like 5 year, 125 million or 6 year 150 million. It won't be any longer or any shorter then 5-6 (new) years.

Luck's deal will make him the highest paid player in the league, and in the history of the league. I don't see how his agent would allow him to accept anything less.

Who knows. If Luck doesn't believe in needing to sign for all that money he wont. His agent will listen or have to talk to his sister.(Luck's mom)

Who knows. If Luck doesn't believe in needing to sign for all that money he wont. His agent will listen or have to talk to his sister.(Luck's mom)

Thats fan mentality. Luck is going to get largest contract in NFL history, and he'd be a fool to not take every penny. He's earned it.

Tannehill's deal was a bargain. Luck's deal will have most fan's underwear in a bunch, but will look like a bargain by year 3 of the deal.

I thinking Jimmy will use the #84 out of top 100 to get at least $850.00 shaved off the contract.

I don't see management giving him a deal longer than 6 years. We know his deal will have massive guarantees. If unforeseen injuries occur, I would hate to see this team paying out guaranteed bonuses for the next 8 years. The average extension for NFL players is somewhere around 4-5 years. It's very rare any more you see a 7 year extension, let alone a 8-10 year deal. I believe Tyron Smith is the only player to agree to those kinds of terms in a long time.

If a bad injury would happen there are insurance policies to cover that. There are ramifications when collecting on a policy with the salary cap. The policies have to be OKed by the league. There are too many ramifications to list so if anyone want to see them all go to the Denver Post on an article written on 7/17/13. But the answer is yes, there is insurance to cover injured players.

Tannehill, if he got no better than he is right now, was STILL worth what they paid him.  Without a serviceable QB., you have little chance to succeed.  With a serviceable QB, you can build a monster Defense (which the Dolphins are doing) and go the route of Baltimore.  (And Flacco has his moments as a Top QB and moments as a terrible... often in the same season within a few games of each other).  Luck will get a record deal, but it will likely not be the largest forever, as the cap keeps climbing as the NFL keeps making money.   Imagine 5-6 years from now when Manning and Brady are gone, Rodgers is on his way out and Wilson will come back to the pack much like Eli Manning has, Luck and some younger guys will be the main faces of the league.  And we'll have him unless he gets hurt, misses a season and we draft the next Luck to replace him. Hey, it happened before, we could do it again.  

That, my friend, is naive and living in a dreamland. Luck is going to be focusing on the football side and let his agent sort out the best deal for him. And his agent, of course, is going to go for the biggest slice of the pie available, so that he gets more bonus off of that.

That, my friend, is naive and living in a dreamland. Luck is going to be focusing on the football side and let his agent sort out the best deal for him. And his agent, of course, is going to go for the biggest slice of the pie available, so that he gets more bonus off of that.

Unless Luck has changed his agent -- and I haven't read of that happening -- his agent is his uncle.   Who I don't think was an agent before Luck turned pro and I doubt has any other client.

My point is I don't think the agent is going to go for every last dollar, especially because of his bonus, or his cut of the deal.

I don't see Luck looking to get every last dollar possible.   I think he WILL get the biggest deal in the NFL,  but I still think he'll leave money on the table.    And I think that will come from Andrew and the uncle/agent will simply follow his wishes.

That's not a fans point of view.   That's the view of someone who has followed Luck since his senior year of high school.

If a bad injury would happen there are insurance policies to cover that. There are ramifications when collecting on a policy with the salary cap. The policies have to be OKed by the league. There are too many ramifications to list so if anyone want to see them all go to the Denver Post on an article written on 7/17/13. But the answer is yes, there is insurance to cover injured players.

Whiie that may be true, I believe I would still have to carry any guarantees (and signing bonus) against the cap. While we may get money back, our cap room would suffer. I may be wrong on that, but either way 8-10 year deals are lose/lose for the player and team in most situations.

Say we sign Luck to 10 yr/250 million. By year 5, the quarterback market has ballooned up to unforeseen levels, and even mid tier QBs are getting 35 million a year. Then that looks like an awful deal for Andrew, and he will be looking to throw out the rest of the deal, asking for market value of 40+ million.

It's much more likely we give him a 5 year deal, and then revisit the contract when those 5 years are up. That's essentially what we did with Manning. It's better for the player, and better for the team. Having a player stuck on one contract for virtually his entire career can backfire for the team and the player.

Whiie that may be true, I believe I would still have to carry any guarantees (and signing bonus) against the cap. While we may get money back, our cap room would suffer. I may be wrong on that, but either way 8-10 year deals are lose/lose for the player and team in most situations.

Say we sign Luck to 10 yr/250 million. By year 5, the quarterback market has ballooned up to unforeseen levels, and even mid tier QBs are getting 35 million a year. Then that looks like an awful deal for Andrew, and he will be looking to throw out the rest of the deal, asking for market value of 40+ million.

It's much more likely we give him a 5 year deal, and then revisit the contract when those 5 years are up. That's essentially what we did with Manning. It's better for the player, and better for the team. Having a player stuck on one contract for virtually his entire career can backfire for the team and the player.

I wasn't debating you comment. I was going with the insurance aspect of it. I really cant recall any contracts that have gone over 6 years. I may be wrong but there is none that I can think of.

I wasn't debating you comment. I was going with the insurance aspect of it. I really cant recall any contracts that have gone over 6 years. I may be wrong but there is none that I can think of.

Tyron Smith, as I mentioned, is the only player in the last 5-10 years that I can recall signing a deal that covers virtually his entire career. He signed a 8 year extension with 2 years left on his old deal, with a payout of $110 million over 10 years. This is because the Jones family has been content with "kicking the can down the road" in regards to their salary cap problems, and they didn't have the cap space to sign Smith to a conventional deal. According to the comments at the time, Tyron and his agent were fine with a deal that "set him up for life", and had a hard time turning down a contract that will earn him $110 million in addition to what he's already earned from his rookie contract.

Source: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/30/tyron-smiths-10-year-deal-is-nuts/

Unless Luck has changed his agent -- and I haven't read of that happening -- his agent is his uncle.   Who I don't think was an agent before Luck turned pro and I doubt has any other client.

My point is I don't think the agent is going to go for every last dollar, especially because of his bonus, or his cut of the deal.

I don't see Luck looking to get every last dollar possible.   I think he WILL get the biggest deal in the NFL,  but I still think he'll leave money on the table.    And I think that will come from Andrew and the uncle/agent will simply follow his wishes.

That's not a fans point of view.   That's the view of someone who has followed Luck since his senior year of high school.

Yeah, if he really wanted the money, he'd be with Tom Condon by now. Yet and still, he's probably gonna be the highest paid player in NFL history in terms of yearly average, and he'll probably have a league-record guarantee also. And we'll still get off easy because it won't be $25m/year.

Yeah, if he really wanted the money, he'd be with Drew Rosenhaus by now. Yet and still, he's probably gonna be the highest paid player in NFL history in terms of yearly average, and he'll probably have a league-record guarantee also. And we'll still get off easy because it won't be $25m/year.

fixed it for ya.

He's the biggest leach out there IMO. . . sucks TY has him for an agent.

Completely off-topic but i'm a "senior member" i feel important!

Thanks guys!

fixed it for ya.

He's the biggest leach out there IMO. . . sucks TY has him for an agent.

Completely off-topic but i'm a "senior member" i feel important!

Thanks guys!

Agreed, but I didn't use Rosenhaus because he typically doesn't represent QBs. The big name, big money QB agent is Condon. And I don't think of him as a leach or someone who tries to burn teams, but he always gets top money for his guys. And he's done three big QB contracts with Irsay.

Agreed, but I didn't use Rosenhaus because he typically doesn't represent QBs. The big name, big money QB agent is Condon. And I don't think of him as a leach or someone who tries to burn teams, but he always gets top money for his guys. And he's done three big QB contracts with Irsay.

Leach may have been the wrong term lol. Yah If i remember correctly Condon was Mannings agent

Best hope is that his agent is too inexperienced to get Luck his market value.  Luck's the only NFL player he represents and he happens to be Luck's uncle.

All that having been said, I doubt we could count on that.  He can get on the internet and read articles about it and have a pretty good idea.  

Best hope is that his agent is too inexperienced to get Luck his market value.  Luck's the only NFL player he represents and he happens to be Luck's uncle.

All that having been said, I doubt we could count on that.  He can get on the internet and read articles about it and have a pretty good idea.  

I think any of us could get Luck his market value. 

And thats why I was making the joke about Andrew's mom telling his Uncle to not take all the money