Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OTA Notes (You don't wanna miss this)

TKnight24

Team drills underway here. Seeing a lot of Dwight Lowery with first defense at free safety. That's what I figured. #Colts

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

May 20, 2015

Remember what I said about Jack Mewhort getting a look at right tackle? Well he's getting some reps there. Shows what I know. Nothing.

May 20, 2015

Phillip Dorsett bounced back from an early drop w/ an impressive grab over the middle and a deep ball from Hasselbeck. Nice day for the rook

— Kevin Bowen (@KBowenColts)

May 20, 2015

Other guys that did not participate today: Vontae Davis, Bjoern Werner and Coby Fleener. Chuck Pagano about to address the media.

May 20, 2015

All the talk about the @Colts pass catches. Count Frank Gore intrigued. Says he’s finally looking forward to running against 6-7 man fronts.

May 20, 2015

Pagano very pleased with the professionalism shown by Frank Gore & Andre Johnson: “They are not talkers. They are doers. They are workers."

May 20, 2015

Ugh Hugh Thornton at LG? Unless he has changed his pass blocking immensely, he needs to be a backup. I wonder if now management is regretting not bringing in La'el Collins.

There's nothing to worry about right now. Honestly, unless Thornton has improved immensely or the line is devastated by injuries, he won't see the field. Mewhort, Herremans, Donald Thomas, and Joe Reitz all should be ahead of him when the dust clears.

Ugh Hugh Thornton at LG? Unless he has changed his pass blocking immensely, he needs to be a backup. I wonder if now management is regretting not bringing in La'el Collins.

I imagine they tried to. If they drafted him he wouldn't have signed and he was essentially a free agent. He chose Dallas. That's not on the front office.

I imagine they tried to. If they drafted him he wouldn't have signed and he was essentially a free agent. He chose Dallas. That's not on the front office.

The was an empty threat by his agent. I figured it was at the time and the agent has come out since and admitted to it. Collins would have signed if he was drafted.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lael-collins-agent-nfl-draft-dallas-cowboys-2015-5

According to Klemko, Collins' agents told teams that if he was drafted after the third round, he would not sign with the team and would instead sit out a year and enter next year's draft. It was a gamble with multiple risks, and teams could have simply ignored the threat.

After the draft, one of Collins' agents admitted that the move was a bluff.

"We can put it on the record now: We were never going back in the draft," his agency's general counsel, Rick Smith, told Klemko. "If someone had drafted him, we would’ve had a long, long discussion about it, but at the end of the day you can’t go back in the draft. He could get injured, gain weight, or 10 great tackles could come out. Too many risks."

The was an empty threat by his agent. I figured it was at the time and the agent has come out since and admitted to it. Collins would have signed if he was drafted.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lael-collins-agent-nfl-draft-dallas-cowboys-2015-5

It was a heck of a move by his agents then. Either way, 31 other teams didn't call his bluff so I'm not holding it against Grigson.

Thornton is only going into his 3rd yr. castonzo's pass blocking was a hot mess his first two seasons and he turned it around.

I"m not sure, but if any team did draft him and he refused to sign, then wouldnt that team still own the rights to him when he does decide to play ?

I"m not sure, but if any team did draft him and he refused to sign, then wouldnt that team still own the rights to him when he does decide to play ?

that could have been very ugly for both team and player.  no one wanted to use any draft picks, even a late rounder on a guy that refuses to sign and cooperate in general.  i was hoping we would use a 7th or something to get him but even if we had it may not have ever worked out.

It was a heck of a move by his agents then. Either way, 31 other teams didn't call his bluff so I'm not holding it against Grigson.

I agree with you, but I think the league's hesitation was more due to the possible implication in a murder and not so much the agent's bluff.

I agree with you, but I think the league's hesitation was more due to the possible implication in a murder and not so much the agent's bluff.

Exactly, even the dumbest of all agents knew he wouldn't have been eligible to go back into next years draft and the NFL had already said he wouldn't be eligible for the supplemental draft either. It strictly about the murder issues and the legal troubles that may follow. Jerry Jones likes the circus surrounding his team. It's a business that generates money and if it comes with a championship with in the circus, it's just gravy but I doubt he cares as long as he makes bags of cash and his team does that. That agent is an * if he thinks he outsmarted the NFL GM's with that threat.

I like the OL ...  if they all can STAY IN THE GAME.      That is the issue with this OL... not quality...   it's availability. 

Costonzo is the ONLY sure fire starter.       And maybe Mew.

OL has killed this team for the last few seasons.

Im expecting at this point our starting O Line to be going into preseason (Barring injury)

LT-Castonzo

LG-Mewhort

C-Holmes

RG-Herremans

RT-Cherilus

Until then guys will get time at different spots to build continuity with with players at multiple spots.....So just because you read for example Mewhort at RT or Thornton at RG or probably eventually Herremans at RT that likely wont be the case come week 1 barring injury

Im expecting at this point our starting O Line to be going into preseason (Barring injury)

LT-Castonzo

LG-Mewhort

C-Holmes

RG-Herremans

RT-Cherilus

Until then guys will get time at different spots to build continuity with with players at multiple spots.....So just because you read for example Mewhort at RT or Thornton at RG or probably eventually Herremans at RT that likely wont be the case come week 1 barring injury

It`s the Amazing Kreskin children. Weeee!  Good Grief!

#Colts Andrew Luck and Phillip Dorsett getting along just fine. "It's definitely not too big for him," Luck said http://t.co/WHxQQIRiwj

May 21, 2015

In the story I just linked to, I also include details on the Colts' usage of Andre Johnson, Trent Cole and how Dwight Lowery fits in

May 21, 2015

Note from Holder about Andre Johnson, suggesting he'll be primarily in the slot (like Reggie): 

Johnson was featured extensively in the slot on Wednesday, a spot that gives the Colts numerous options in the routes he can run. Johnson showed himself adept at working between the hash marks, and that's an area where the Colts could use some help.

One guy Colts are quietly hopeful about is OLB Cam Johnson. Came on strong in camp last year but got hurt in season opener. Looked good Wed

May 21, 2015

They have some potential for depth at pass rusher for first time in a while. Much depends on Mathis, but can rotate Cole, Newsome, Johnson

May 21, 2015