Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano Say Dwight Lowery Has Been A Good Addition

krunk

That's been particularly true of the ones who have switched teams, which is why I would have been nervous about McCourty. But you have guys who signed for $8-9m/year, like Byrd and Goldson, and then you have Landry, who signed for $6m. Even Antrel Rolle's old contract was $7.4m/year. Tyvon Branch was $6.6m/year. That's why the contract never bothered me, it was above average pay for what we expected to be an above average player.

Whitner, Ward and Bethea have all been pretty good for their new teams, but they're all $7m/year or less. I think Searcy is gonna be a big plus for the Titans.

Yes .. Whitner was no doubt a good signing

He had a low PFF rating, but he played well for the most part (IMO).  He is a good athlete, seems pretty tough and (IMO) fits what Pagano/Manusky want in a safety in that he seems to be able to cover and tackle.  Some will say he got beat too much, which is probably true, but he also played on one of the worst defenses in football with a terrible pass rush.  Everyone in the secondaries' job is easier if the defense can rush the passer.  With T. Cole, Newsome, Mathis, and improved line play, I don't see any reason to think we shouldn't be very good at rushing the QB this season.

Low PFF rating? He finished with positive rating, on par with T.J Ward, Kendrick Lewis, Harper, Abdullah, had a better rating than Rahim Moore, Cyprien, Gilchrist, Harper, Eric Reid. But what I like more is that he had no TD on him, but 2 INT's and some passes defended. He allowed a little more than 600 yards, which is not great, but he has been targeted second most in the leage among safeties (behind Ward), so that's OK considering the 64% catch rate and 80 QB rating while allowing zero TD's. Especially, because he had little-to-no help from his teammates in that 2014 ATL secondary. I think he is a pretty good player, definitely a good starter caliber. The only downside is that he is quite injury prone. Other than that, he is a good signing for the money.

Low PFF rating? He finished with positive rating, on par with T.J Ward, Kendrick Lewis, Harper, Abdullah, had a better rating than Rahim Moore, Cyprien, Gilchrist, Harper, Eric Reid. But what I like more is that he had no TD on him, but 2 INT's and some passes defended. He allowed a little more than 600 yards, which is not great, but he has been targeted second most in the leage among safeties (behind Ward), so that's OK considering the 64% catch rate and 80 QB rating while allowing zero TD's. Especially, because he had little-to-no help from his teammates in that 2014 ATL secondary. I think he is a pretty good player, definitely a good starter caliber. The only downside is that he is quite injury prone. Other than that, he is a good signing for the money.

He had a 1.1 -- which is pretty low.  It is positive, at least, but Mike Adams was at 11.7, Sergio Brown was over 5, even Laron Landry was at 1.6.  Lowery had the 21st highest PFF ranking for FA safeties, so not very high. 

I don't put a lot of stock into PFF, a lot for reasons you mentioned (i.e., Lowery had very little help from other teammates in ATL).  The reason I made that last post is because his 1.1 is below a lot of the FA safeties who were (some still are) available.  I went on to say I thought he played well for the most part, blah blah blah.... some people put a lot of stock into PFF ratings and I figured I'd point out while he had a low grade (lower than Landry), I thought he played well before others came on and started bashing him for not having a higher grade than either Brown or Landry who is coming here to replace.

Where did Pagano hype him up or mention the HOF?

He mentioned his name in positive fashion. According to some, the coach shouldn't do that on the chance that the player doesn't perform well, that way us fans aren't disappointed.

Pagano does positive "coach speak" to a new level....... Its actually at a ridiculous level

You almost have to fully discount every player evaluation he does........

"rolling ball of plastic picnic knives" might have been more appropriate for our Richardson

... and then,,, the plastic picnic knives would feel insulted...... :)

Rolling ball of Fisher-Price knives?