Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano Say Dwight Lowery Has Been A Good Addition

krunk

Pagano on Dwight Lowery:

gob_bluth_huge_mistake.jpg

P.S. I'm joking, I liked the signing from day one. It's just the thought that Pagano would say anything other than positives about him, especially this early, is amusing to me. So, this comment means absolutely nothing to me.

Pagano on Dwight Lowery:

P.S. I'm joking, I liked the signing from day one. It's just the thought that Pagano would say anything other than positives about him, especially this early, is amusing to me. So, this comment means absolutely nothing to me.

Maybe the thought of Pagano mentioning him should? Just saying.

Reporter: "Coach, can you tell us how Lowery has been looking early on? Which unit is he working with?"

Pagano: "Terrible! Signing the guy was a huge mistake. Is Bob Sanders still available? He's a rolling ball of butcher knives."

:)

Pagano on Dwight Lowery:

We all know Pagano does tend to go overboard sometimes, but at least he didn't start with "He's learning our system right now, but we expect he'll come along as he gets more experience" or something that doesn't give you any type of positive feedback.  Long road ahed for sure though.

I'm not sure how he did in Atlanta last year, but my die hard falcon friend said he played good? That Falcons defense had no playmakers outside of Weatherspoon, which was on Ir

He had a low PFF rating, but he played well for the most part (IMO).  He is a good athlete, seems pretty tough and (IMO) fits what Pagano/Manusky want in a safety in that he seems to be able to cover and tackle.  Some will say he got beat too much, which is probably true, but he also played on one of the worst defenses in football with a terrible pass rush.  Everyone in the secondaries' job is easier if the defense can rush the passer.  With T. Cole, Newsome, Mathis, and improved line play, I don't see any reason to think we shouldn't be very good at rushing the QB this season.

He praises everyone

Laron Landry

Samson Satele

Trent Richardson

Mike McGlynn

You get the point

He praises everyone

Laron Landry

Samson Satele

Trent Richardson

Mike McGlynn

You get the point

TK I get your point, but...

What would you think of a coach who does not support the guys on the roster.

I don't think he would have much support in the locker room If he was going to pressers and saying this guy or that guy was Hot Garbage.

You know what I mean?

"Coach Speak" is all it is.

Pagano does positive "coach speak" to a new level.......  Its actually at a ridiculous level

You almost have to fully discount every player evaluation he does........

"rolling ball of plastic picnic knives" might have been more appropriate for our Richardson

... and then,,, the plastic picnic knives would feel insulted......   :)

TK I get your point, but...

What would you think of a coach who does not support the guys on the roster.

I don't think he would have much support in the locker room If he was going to pressers and saying this guy or that guy was Hot Garbage.

You know what I mean?

"Coach Speak" is all it is.

I mean obviously you never down your players but don't hype a 3rd stringer up as if they're the next HOF entry is all I'm saying

Which means he's not great, but one of the better players on a terrible defense. Great players don't get released unless its for cap reasons.

I'll hold my breath on him.

No one will ever confuse Lowery for a great player, but he's serviceable. I just wanted to add that he wasn't released. He was a free agent, and Dan Quinn is understandably particular about his safeties, so the Falcons moved on.

He praises everyone

Laron Landry

Samson Satele

Trent Richardson

Mike McGlynn

You get the point

The only one I really had issue with and will never understand was Landry. That signing had red flags flying all over and I thought was crazy from the beginning.

The only one I really had issue with and will never understand was Landry. That signing had red flags flying all over and I thought was crazy from the beginning.

Pro Bowl season in 2012, he was flying all over the field and making his presence felt all season long, and he had a good game against us that year. He started off well for us in 2013; I still remember him chasing down a ball carrier from 20 yards away in the Raiders game. I understood the signing, and thought it was a good one. The only thing that seemed off about it was the signing bonus, which was an outlier (along with Cherilus'). 

Two years later, it seems pretty obvious that Landry wasn't really interested in being a good football player. But I don't think that was something anyone knew in 2013.

Pro Bowl season in 2012, he was flying all over the field and making his presence felt all season long, and he had a good game against us that year. He started off well for us in 2013; I still remember him chasing down a ball carrier from 20 yards away in the Raiders game. I understood the signing, and thought it was a good one. The only thing that seemed off about it was the signing bonus, which was an outlier (along with Cherilus'). 

Two years later, it seems pretty obvious that Landry wasn't really interested in being a good football player. But I don't think that was something anyone knew in 2013.

I would never bother to go back that far but if I did , I can pull up a little back and forth you and I had on this signing. I thought it was too much money for a guy that had two good years out of I think 6 ? I also made references to his body type and thought that was a red flag... I couldn't mention steroids back then but I guess I can now as he's been suspended ? He did have a great game against us that year and yes he did start off playing pretty well. No big deal that it turns out I called a "smelly" signing when it happened. There are only 3 possibilities ... good , bad and neutral. Let's face it , signing the better players that teams let go is a very tough proposition. They are not being resigned by their present team and yet as they are the best players on the market , the competition is intense. So you no doubt are going to have plenty of misses when you have the cap room Grigson had to spend. 

I would never bother to go back that far but if I did , I can pull up a little back and forth you and I had on this signing. I thought it was too much money for a guy that had two good years out of I think 6 ? I also made references to his body type and thought that was a red flag... I couldn't mention steroids back then but I guess I can now as he's been suspended ? He did have a great game against us that year and yes he did start off playing pretty well. No big deal that it turns out I called a "smelly" signing when it happened. There are only 3 possibilities ... good , bad and neutral. Let's face it , signing the better players that teams let go is a very tough proposition. They are not being resigned by their present team and yet as they are the best players on the market , the competition is intense. So you no doubt are going to have plenty of misses when you have the cap room Grigson had to spend. 

I believe you. I still don't think the contract was out of whack with the market. He just sucked once he signed. Not a good deal for us, but I feel like he was a crook more than the Colts just made a bad decision. Oh well...

I believe you. I still don't think the contract was out of whack with the market. He just sucked once he signed. Not a good deal for us, but I feel like he was a crook more than the Colts just made a bad decision. Oh well...

Yeah you have a point on the contract. I'm thinking that I was probably wishing we spent the money elsewhere and didn't express that well at the time. No big deal . Hey... here's a thought . I'm not going to research it so maybe I'm wrong. But seems to me that most of the safeties that signed big contracts in the last few years really busted out badly .

Yeah you have a point on the contract. I'm thinking that I was probably wishing we spent the money elsewhere and didn't express that well at the time. No big deal . Hey... here's a thought . I'm not going to research it so maybe I'm wrong. But seems to me that most of the safeties that signed big contracts in the last few years really busted out badly .

That's been particularly true of the ones who have switched teams, which is why I would have been nervous about McCourty. But you have guys who signed for $8-9m/year, like Byrd and Goldson, and then you have Landry, who signed for $6m. Even Antrel Rolle's old contract was $7.4m/year. Tyvon Branch was $6.6m/year. That's why the contract never bothered me, it was above average pay for what we expected to be an above average player.

Whitner, Ward and Bethea have all been pretty good for their new teams, but they're all $7m/year or less. I think Searcy is gonna be a big plus for the Titans.