Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clayton Geathers

He was my favorite pick of ours this year. What are some of your honest opinions on him? Do you think he gives us Bob Sanders type of production (a force,elite)? Or Bethea type of production

(Serviceable, above average)? Or do some of you think he'll just be another camp body? Me personally, I would be disappointed if he didn't have an impact at all.Thoughts???

Some experts seem to think we reached on him. As he shouldve gone in the later rounds and possibly UDFA. I personally trust the FO choices i questioned at first the #1 pick but after deep thought i guess he was rated the best on the board at that point in time. I think Geathers will see the field enough and possibly will turn into a full time starter towards the later of the season.  

I really came to this thread to voice my opinion on Geathers(whom I like and I like more the more I see of him) but then I read the original post and realized that someone who classifies Bethea's contribution to the Colts defense as servicable to above average does not understand what he sees every Sunday, at least in regards to the safety position.

I would not expect Geathers to play all that many meaningful snaps this year outside of special teams.

I think he's a ST guy his rookie year, playing primarily regular snaps when either a starter is hurt or the game is decided one way or the other.

I think he's being groomed for next year when the hope is he'll start.    This year it's Lowery, and Adams.

Just my hunch....

I really came to this thread to voice my opinion on Geathers(whom I like and I like more the more I see of him) but then I read the original post and realized that someone who classifies Bethea's contribution to the Colts defense as servicable to above average does not understand what he sees every Sunday, at least in regards to the safety position.

Yes, you are right, Bethea was a pro bowl safety. My bad.

I think Geathers is a coaching challenge.  He has really good tools and an aggressive playing style, so I think the staff has a lot to work with.  But I don't expect him to be ready to start this year, necessarily, as he probably has a ways to go.  But next year he should be a favorite for one of the starting spots...

Similar thoughts were said about Tim Jennings at his position before we let him go. In fact, he was called a bust. Bethea was constantly trying cover other fellow players inadequacies. 

I'm conflicted, I have read several reports saying he isn't good in coverage. As well as several other reports saying he IS good in coverage.

He's both actually.  Pretty descent in zone coverage, has good reaction to the ball in the air and the burst o get there.  But lacks the long speed to really cover a deep half of the field.  And he's too eager to jump the play so he can get caught in double moves when in man coverage.

At his Day #3 post-draft press conference,  Pagano made it very clear that Geathers is raw and -- if I remember correctly -- "No where near his ceiling.  Not even close".    Said with a great big smile. 

I think Grigson/Pagano think they got a very good kid who only needs some top quality coaching to turn into the safety they want.

Was he "over-drafted"...?    Perhaps.    But I think the Grigson/Pagano team feel like Geathers is worth it in the long-run.

Pagano is a DB coach by trade.   Like Smith at corner,  this was the safety he wanted.    I think you have to cut them some slack on this decision.

Bethea was one of my favorite Colts of the last 10 years. I watched as the Colts struggled to find a decent Safety all those years until Bethea came along and what he became was one of the most underrated players in the NFL. He got some credit but I don't think he ever got the credit he deserved and lots of folks on this board dinged him for his play in the most current defense but what Bethea did in the cover 2 Tony Dungy era was really really good. If Geathers turns out to be anything close to what Bethea was we got a steal.

I would not expect Geathers to play all that many meaningful snaps this year outside of special teams.

I think he's a ST guy his rookie year, playing primarily regular snaps when either a starter is hurt or the game is decided one way or the other.

I think he's being groomed for next year when the hope is he'll start.    This year it's Lowery, and Adams.

Just my hunch....

Lowery...Ughh...From what I've read, he was little more than a liability in Atlanta...What can we honestly expect from Lowery this year?

Lowery...Ughh...From what I've read, he was little more than a liability in Atlanta...What can we honestly expect from Lowery this year?

From everything I've read, Atlanta fan's loved, or at least like-liked, Lowery. He was the bright spot in their terrible secondary/defense.

His coverage skills worry me.

^  This.

Until he can prove that he can play coverage better, he is just a slightly better Landry who misses less tackles, but still misses the odd tackle. I'm not saying he is going to be bad, but he definitely needs to improve the coverage skills. He's young and he has already said he is out to prove that he isnt just a box safety. I think he is going to need time before he starts regularly and contributes in a positive way.

We know for sure 2 things: Pagano knows how to coach DBs and Geathers has talent but lacks of technique , i think he is gonna be productive as long as he wants to learn, i would give him 2 years until he fully develops, also i quote Pagano: "He's no way near his ceiling".

I am of the belief........Lowery is an improvement over Mr Ped.............

We just got better at one of the safety spots.... I think that is the true acid test

We cant have all pros at every position people (Nor can we afford it)

Geathers may be a steal....... time will tell

The logic is sound to get some improvement even if its in 2-3 areas (I think they have improved the AFC's 2nd best team in 5-6 areas)

It may be enough to move by team #1.........

the future seems bright

^ This.

Until he can prove that he can play coverage better, he is just a slightly better Landry who misses less tackles, but still misses the odd tackle. I'm not saying he is going to be bad, but he definitely needs to improve the coverage skills. He's young and he has already said he is out to prove that he isnt just a box safety. I think he is going to need time before he starts regularly and contributes in a positive way.

His coverage skills were very good in college. Watch his game films on draftbreakdown.com, he did not have many issues in coverage and he even made some great plays.

One year ago,  no one was excited when we signed Michael Adams.    He turned out pretty good.

Yes, Mike was a very pleasant surprise. Not sure what he honestly has left though. Were there a lot of other teams interested in Lowery does anyone know? Having been a journeyman his entire career, in my mind, he is seen more of a "Band aid" type of player that fills a temporary void. I really hope Geathers turns into the player that the Colts believe he can be.

Bethea was one of my favorite Colts of the last 10 years. I watched as the Colts struggled to find a decent Safety all those years until Bethea came along and what he became was one of the most underrated players in the NFL. He got some credit but I don't think he ever got the credit he deserved and lots of folks on this board dinged him for his play in the most current defense but what Bethea did in the cover 2 Tony Dungy era was really really good. If Geathers turns out to be anything close to what Bethea was we got a steal.

I think Bethea was criminally underrated for a long time. He had to play alongside scrubs from 2010-2012. I think he had a really bad year in 2013, though.

I think Bethea was criminally underrated for a long time. He had to play alongside scrubs from 2010-2012. I think he had a really bad year in 2013, though.

If Sanders would have stayed healthy just think what our safety tandem would have been for years.

If Sanders would have stayed healthy just think what our safety tandem would have been for years.

We got a taste in 2007. If Freeney and Mathis didn't get hurt that year, that defense would have finished a lot stronger than it did. 

We got a taste in 2007. If Freeney and Mathis didn't get hurt that year, that defense would have finished a lot stronger than it did.

And they still finished #1 in 2 or 3 categories that year - scoring and yards I'm pretty sure of. Bob was also DPOY that year as well. I think that was the defensive "look" that Dungy had been shooting for during his time here.

Here is an interesting tape-comparison of Damarious Randall and Clayton Geathers. One of the guys analyzing them is Matt Waldman of Football Outsiders (also running a site called "Rookie Scouting Portfolio"), the other guy is Ryan Riddle, a former NFL defensive end drafted by Oakland in 2005. His NFL carreer was short, but obviously, he knows something (at least more than I do) about how to evaluate prospects. So it's an interesting comparison of the two player's using some NCAA game tapes. The result is - according to them -, that Geathers is hands down a better prospect than Randall. Which might not be accurate, but at least might be a promising indication that Geathers might have the upside we look for.