Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Apparently Most Texans Fans Did Not Like the JJ Watt Pick in 2011

BullsColtsFan1

I was thinking the same it's not an example of BPA watt was needed

Well, it was both. I'm guessing some fans didn't like it because they assumed he was a big slow white guy from Wisconsin.

How so? They he just hired Bum Jr and needed a 34 DE.

I was thinking the same it's not an example of BPA watt was needed

Just that there were supposed greater needs but they took their BPA. Fans wanted a quarterback or defensive back.

I didn't know that about JJ Watt.  Wow!  You can measure all you want, but you can't measure heart and "want to" on a chart.  He's got more "want to" than 3 other guys put together and that makes him a very special player.

Yeah... I almost hate tuning in to our own Charger's forum during the draft because of the hysteria.  Consider me silly, but I think the scouts, front office and coaches know more about our existing players, potential draftees and the holes on our team than I do.

Part of that would be due to the fact I don't watch much college ball so I find it a waste of time to form an opinion on many players.  

I also don't expect the team/scouts/GM to be perfect and draft a pro-bowl starter on every pick!  What I do want is a GM that will cut his losses if he misses and turn over every rock for the hidden gems.  I like that so far about Tom Telesco.  He's missed on a couple free agent signings and didn't waste time defending his choices - he cut them loose as soon as it was obvious it wasn't going to work no matter the cap hit.

Well, it was both. I'm guessing some fans didn't like it because they assumed he was a big slow white guy from Wisconsin.

as a Texas resident I'll tell you that the media absolutely scrutinized the Texans because they picked a "need" instead of BPA.

Imo this completely proves my thought process on the draft. You draft your needs. The highest impact player available that will have the highest impact on your team. The Steelers do it and the Patriots do it. the draft isn't an exact science sometimes you've gotta take a couple of swings to balance your team. I wish Grigson would have more drafts like he did in 12 when he drafted Werner. Yea he may have missed grabbing Mathis' replacement but at least we have talent on that side of the ball now and an edge setter. But no we went straight back to them Polian days grabbing receivers when we have 6 on the roster.

I dunno how many times I have to bring it up but the perfect example is the steelers recent transition from 2008 to now. They picked needs in the first and their team is always evolving never having the same weakness. Yea they may have missed on a great player or 2 but their TEAM is balanced, not getting blown out by playoff teams and always in contention for a Super Bowl.

as a Texas resident I'll tell you that the media absolutely scrutinized the Texans because they picked a "need" instead of BPA.

Imo this completely proves my thought process on the draft. You draft your needs. The highest impact player available that will have the highest impact on your team. The Steelers do it and the Patriots do it. the draft isn't an exact science sometimes you've gotta take a couple of swings to balance your team. I wish Grigson would have more drafts like he did in 12 when he drafted Werner. Yea he may have missed grabbing Mathis' replacement but at least we have talent on that side of the ball now and an edge setter. But no we went straight back to them Polian days grabbing receivers when we have 6 on the roster.

I dunno how many times I have to bring it up but the perfect example is the steelers recent transition from 2008 to now. They picked needs in the first and their team is always evolving never having the same weakness. Yea they may have missed on a great player or 2 but their TEAM is balanced, not getting blown out by playoff teams and always in contention for a Super Bowl.

The same Steelers that have only made the playoffs 3x and went one and done 2 of the 3 times since 08 yeah I wish we were more like them too

That post could fertilize around 10 acres of corn.

The same Steelers that have only made the playoffs 3x and went one and done 2 of the 3 times since 08 yeah I wish we were more like them too

The same Steelers that won 2 superbowls with half the QB Indy had.  

The same Steelers that haven't been blown out 60 to 7 or repeatedly blown out by the Patriots.

The same team that didn't need to find ONE player to completely collapse them and then ONE player to bring them back up.

Yea that team.  They at least have a balanced team and yea I wish we were like them because I'm tired of getting to a big game and losing by 30+ with a better QB.  That is just sad.

The same Steelers that won 2 superbowls with half the QB Indy had.

The same Steelers that haven't been blown out 60 to 7 or repeatedly blown out by the Patriots.

The same team that didn't need to find ONE player to completely collapse them and then ONE player to bring them back up.

Yea that team. They at least have a balanced team and yea I wish we were like them because I'm tired of getting to a big game and losing by 30+ with a better QB. That is just sad.

Then stop being so sad get yourself a Steelers jersey move along they haven't done much since 2008 the date you picked 3 playoffs 2 one and dones very impressive

People not liking the Watt pick is pretty old news. Slow news day?

I guess so. Old dirt, don't understand the point of it. 

I don't think it's dig at the Texans at all, just comparing the outcry then to our own Colt's flavoured outcry about Dorsett and how (hopefully) if he works out people will have short memories about how bad a pick it was.

All this thinking about TY must have affected your brain Vance :P 

Watt was the BPA, IMO the best player in the draft !

Bragging about your own brilliance is a very nice attribute. Give yourself another pat on the back.

Then stop being so sad get yourself a Steelers jersey move along they haven't done much since 2008 the date you picked 3 playoffs 2 one and dones very impressive

Got it I'll head to the store, antidepressants and a Steelers jersey got it.

That is amazing. A guy is paid to know and follow sports and it's players misses a player like Watt. I followed him in cheese town and the thought I had was if the Packers get him he will be the second person in history to walk on water.