Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who's going to step up this year and breakout?

COLTS449

I thought this would be a good discussion. Especially considering all the young talent we have. There's several possibilities on both sides of the ball. You got guys like Moncrief, Dorsett, Mewhort, Holmes on offense, and guys like Kerr, Hughes, Anderson, Newsome etc on D. I think our top 3 draft picks will all have an impact this year first up, maybe a major impact for 1 or 2. But who is your breakout star for us this year? I guess I'll go with Mewhort, but I think Newsome can easily put up 8-10 sacks this year. But I think Mewhort can be a true star at Guard.

I'm hoping it will be Werner!

That'd be nice wouldn't it. Since not many of us are expecting it maybe we'll get a pleasant surprise. We're pretty deep at OLB though and if he doesn't produce I can see him being kind of the odd man out. That's assuming Mathis is healthy btw. It would be so awesome if we have our future at OLB with Werner and Newsome. Ideally, Newsome could be our rush OLB and put up big sack numbers while Werner was the SAM and played the run well and set the edge you know, and still put up 6-8 sacks a year.

I will say it, Henry Anderson could be our best D-lineman.  He is going to put 10-15 lbs on, and be around 6'6" and 310ish.  He has BETTER 2014 stats than Malcom Brown!  He learned under a defensive scheme similar to ours.  He played the entire D-line at Stanford, rotating to different spots throughout each game. I swear Grigson did not take Brown in the first thinking this guy was going to be our D-line stud.

Yeah what's crazy is I can see several guys breaking out. I agree 150% on Anderson. I think he's going to be special. I mean I truly believe in the next couple years he'll be considered one of the best 3-4 ends in the league, and I think he'll be great this year too.

Kerr is interesting. He showed flashes of being a stud last year, but he also struggled at times. Normal for a rookie. Especially an UD rookie. I think he has the ability to put it all together more so than Hughes.

Donte Moncrief has the skill, tools and potential. 

I'd like to see Mewhort out it all together and be a top 10 guard in the NFL, (I think he's Top 20-15 right now, with flashes of top 10). Also Cherilus come back to form as a good OT. 

I'd also like to see Toler be a consistent good #2 CB, Werner be a solid EDGE guy, and have Newsome, Kerr, and Hughes continue to impress.

I think it will come from one of two groups...   or someone from each group....   (there's one overlap...)

I think it will either come from the 2013 draft class (Werner, Thornton, Holmes, Hughes....)

Or,  the DL group (Langford, Chapman, Kerr, Jones, Hughes, Quarles, or Anderson, Parry)

And I wouldn't be surprised if there are multiple candidates,  perhaps even from both groups.

I think the time has come for the 2013 class....   and when we said goodbye to Redding and RJF,  I think the front office was telling the DL group that your time has come to deliver....

I expect Newsome to be better,  but with Cole and maybe Mathis ahead of him, I'm just not sure how many opportunities he'll get?

I'm gonna leave the rookies out of it for now since I've not seen them play a snap in the NFL. I'm going to go with Newsome for the defense and Fleener for offense. I don't know how many touches Fleener gets now with so many other receiving options, but there was a stretch last year where he, IMO, looked second to only Gronkowski as the best receiving TE in the league. I'm gonna say he finally hits a higher gear this year in his contract year.

Donte Moncrief has the skill, tools and potential. 

I'd like to see Mewhort out it all together and be a top 10 guard in the NFL, (I think he's Top 20-15 right now, with flashes of top 10). Also Cherilus come back to form as a good OT. 

I'd also like to see Toler be a consistent good #2 CB, Werner be a solid EDGE guy, and have Newsome, Kerr, and Hughes continue to impress.

Toler had great season last year as a #2 CB... The only times he got truly burned were when he was asked to be the #1 when Vontae was out. Otherwise he was a great, solid #2.

Erik Swoope 

this guy is gonna make us not bother to re-sign one of fleener or allen

Swoope has never played a single snap of organised football at ANY level in his life.

That means not a single High School snap, not a single College snap and certainly not a single NFL snap.... How can anyone have so much confidence in someone who has never, ever played the game?.... Jimmy Graham played a year College ball, so he didn't just enter the PRO level with 0 football knowledge.

Collectively our defense. Top 10 overall and the discussion sbout our back office stops.

Come now my good man, we all know that we could be #1 in Offense, Defense, win the Superbowl with a 19-0 record and there would still be calls to fire one or a combination of Grigson/Pagano/Hamilton/Irsay/Blue.

I feel some people on here should have to endure supporting a team that hasn't won anything in my lifetime, my dad's lifetime (he's 72) and the only consistency they can offer is that they can and will break your heart every time you think they've turned a corner. It helps give you perspective on these things :P

Swoope has never played a single snap of organised football at ANY level in his life.

That means not a single High School snap, not a single College snap and certainly not a single NFL snap.... How can anyone have so much confidence in someone who has never, ever played the game?.... Jimmy Graham played a year College ball, so he didn't just enter the PRO level with 0 football knowledge.

Neither did Gates... Talent is talent and if he can play he will.

Neither did Gates... Talent is talent and if he can play he will.

How can anyone be so sure that his athletic basketball talents will transfer to the NFL though?... It's not just about raw ability, you have to know the game, understand it and be a student of the game. 

I'm going to say Khaled Holmes and Gosder Cherilus if they can stay healthy and start each game. Would be nice to see Donald Thomas healthy and hopefully Herreman can jump in and anchor our RG position that has never been good.

How can anyone be so sure that his athletic basketball talents will transfer to the NFL though?... It's not just about raw ability, you have to know the game, understand it and be a student of the game.

I NEVER said I was sure.. I will restate again for you: IF the talent is there, and he can play, the coaches will find room for him. Good lord, he's not learning Quantum Physics.