Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My take on the Roster after the Draft (2015 season)

BProland85

OL

One thing I found curious during the draft was that the Colts didn't draft an OT till round 7. That tells me Cherilus should be healthy for this season. If he isn't, they really screwed up there.

DL

The Colts are betting that Montori Hughes and Josh Chapman will be better than they were last year at NT, and the addition of David Parry will hopefully help alleviate the pressure on them. At DT/DE the Colts have help with getting Henry Anderson, and is probably the best pass rusher on the DL instantly. If Arthur Jones and Langford prove worthy as starters this year, then great. If not, this will again be a need next offseason.

RB

I'm not as high on Josh Robinson as everyone else is. I know we got him late in the 6th, but he really lacks athleticism. I'm still willing to bet the Colts will need to find a RB of the future next year to take over for Gore when he hangs it up.

WR

Obviously the Colts have no real needs here, and are overloaded at the position. Dorsett should hopefully be the starter at the slot position, with Hilton and Andre on the outside. Moncrief is still progressing, but will share reps with Dorsett. Once Andre retires, Indy still has their WRs of the future in Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett.

TE

With the selection of Dorsett, maybe the Colts will be going to a 4 WR set and the use of the two TE system will be no more. They certainly can't afford to keep Moncrief and Dorsett on the sideline at the expense of Allen. Maybe this would be a good opportunity to trade Allen if it makes sense to the coaches, since Indy could very well lose him anyways after the season.

CB

The Colts are looking pretty good here considering the addition of D'Joun Smith. He can play either CB or FS and depending on how Dwight Lowery and Clayton Geathers look, he may have a chance at starting at FS. If Lowery or Geathers pan out this year at SS, Smith will be a talented backup to Toler or Davis in case one of them get injured.

S

Geathers helps with depth at SS, but FS is shaky unless Indy envisions D'Joun Smith as a potential FS. Maybe Indy lucks out and either Dewey McDonald or Winston Guy steps up as well.

LB

ILB is still a need after the 2015 season with Jackson getting older and slower. Freeman may or may not be here for the future, depending on how he plays this season. Going into next draft, this could be a major need. At OLB, we are deep but still need a stud pass rusher for the future to replace Mathis. For 2015 though, Indy should be fine with the current depth.

What are your takes on the roster and do you agree or disagree with my assessment on the current state of each position?

OL

One thing I found curious during the draft was that the Colts didn't draft an OT till round 7. That tells me Cherilus should be healthy for this season. If he isn't, they really screwed up there.

DL

The Colts are betting that Montori Hughes and Josh Chapman will be better than they were last year at NT, and the addition of David Parry will hopefully help alleviate the pressure on them. At DT/DE the Colts have help with getting Henry Anderson, and is probably the best pass rusher on the DL instantly. If Arthur Jones and Langford prove worthy as starters this year, then great. If not, this will again be a need next offseason.

RB

I'm not as high on Josh Robinson as everyone else is. I know we got him late in the 6th, but he really lacks athleticism. I'm still willing to bet the Colts will need to find a RB of the future next year to take over for Gore when he hangs it up.

WR

Obviously the Colts have no real needs here, and are overloaded at the position. Dorsett should hopefully be the starter at the slot position, with Hilton and Andre on the outside. Moncrief is still progressing, but will share reps with Dorsett. Once Andre retires, Indy still has their WRs of the future in Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett.

TE

With the selection of Dorsett, maybe the Colts will be going to a 4 WR set and the use of the two TE system will be no more. They certainly can't afford to keep Moncrief and Dorsett on the sideline at the expense of Allen. Maybe this would be a good opportunity to trade Allen if it makes sense to the coaches, since Indy could very well lose him anyways after the season.

CB

The Colts are looking pretty good here considering the addition of D'Joun Smith. He can play either CB or FS and depending on how Dwight Lowery and Clayton Geathers look, he may have a chance at starting at FS. If Lowery or Geathers pan out this year at SS, Smith will be a talented backup to Toler or Davis in case one of them get injured.

S

Geathers helps with depth at SS, but FS is shaky unless Indy envisions D'Joun Smith as a potential FS. Maybe Indy lucks out and either Dewey McDonald or Winston Guy steps up as well.

LB

ILB is still a need after the 2015 season with Jackson getting older and slower. Freeman may or may not be here for the future, depending on how he plays this season. Going into next draft, this could be a major need. At OLB, we are deep but still need a stud pass rusher for the future to replace Mathis. For 2015 though, Indy should be fine with the current depth.

What are your takes on the roster and do you agree or disagree with my assessment on the current state of each position?

We have at least 3 guys who can play RT with no Cherilus. So No.

We were fine at NT last year and they Should be Better. Barring Injury Parry doesn`t make the 53 man roster.

At the NFL level, Anderson won`t get much pressure.

RB Robinson is just a guy, has a shot for the practice squad.

Someone will over pay for Hilton in free agency. Jax? Get it?

TE Really? You keep the blocking TE as Fleener becomes the more expendable one.

CB DJoun can help immediately in 4 wide sets and covering  some of the short stuff we get killed at.

Putting your best on the field DJoun May get some deep experience.

We will take another beating with these ILB`ers. But the Rush should be better.

See below..........

OL

One thing I found curious during the draft was that the Colts didn't draft an OT till round 7. That tells me Cherilus should be healthy for this season. If he isn't, they really screwed up there. No...it doesn't say that Gosder should be healthy...there is no way to predict that. Also, no...they didn't screw up. Olineman aren't plug and play, they need development. The Colts are counting in the continuing development of the players they have already invested in in recent drafts on the oline. 

DL

The Colts are betting that Montori Hughes and Josh Chapman will be better than they were last year at NT, and the addition of David Parry will hopefully help alleviate the pressure on them. At DT/DE the Colts have help with getting Henry Anderson, and is probably the best pass rusher on the DL instantly. If Arthur Jones and Langford prove worthy as starters this year, then great. If not, this will again be a need next offseason. Most any dlineman that has the ability to be better than veterans on day one are usually taken in the top 10 or 20 picks. He is about to face the nastiest olineman he ever faced in college...every week. 

RB

I'm not as high on Josh Robinson as everyone else is. I know we got him late in the 6th, but he really lacks athleticism. I'm still willing to bet the Colts will need to find a RB of the future next year to take over for Gore when he hangs it up. Sorry, but no skill player taken in the NFL draft lacks athleticism. I realize we are talking semantics, but com'n. 

WR

Obviously the Colts have no real needs here, and are overloaded at the position. Dorsett should hopefully be the starter at the slot position, with Hilton and Andre on the outside. Moncrief is still progressing, but will share reps with Dorsett. Once Andre retires, Indy still has their WRs of the future in Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett. I realize we got Johnson, but our ability to move the chains in our final loss of the season was directly affected by our lack of depth at WR. I'll also bet the Dorsett will not be the day one starter in teh slot. He may get there during the season, but not day one. 

TE

With the selection of Dorsett, maybe the Colts will be going to a 4 WR set and the use of the two TE system will be no more. They certainly can't afford to keep Moncrief and Dorsett on the sideline at the expense of Allen. Maybe this would be a good opportunity to trade Allen if it makes sense to the coaches, since Indy could very well lose him anyways after the season. I don't know how to even respond to this.

CB

The Colts are looking pretty good here considering the addition of D'Joun Smith. He can play either CB or FS and depending on how Dwight Lowery and Clayton Geathers look, he may have a chance at starting at FS. If Lowery or Geathers pan out this year at SS, Smith will be a talented backup to Toler or Davis in case one of them get injured. Have to wait and see about Smith and his multipositional abilities at the next level. 

I find this draft to be excellent, but of course...as any draft, we won't know for 2 to 3 years. I see far more to be excited about than not. 

OL im not sure either.

DL did get upgraded in draft.

RB I don't see how Robinson lacks athletisism at all!? Just because he isn't Chris Johnson or Charlss doesn't mean he lacks athletisism. Did you not see his film!? I'm not saying he's going to be the best ever or that he's even going to be good at all but lacks athletisism? No way! Breaking tackles takes plenty of athletisism.

WR is pretty set.

TE is also set. Have 3 good TE that's can play great roles.

CB Smith was a bug pickup for depth and possibly a great role player.

S still the Colts most needed position on the roster. Some decent players. Adams is good and Geathers has potential but other than that just average to below average players at S.

ILB going to be good. Freeman and Jackson are both average to above average players at ILB. With Irving backing them up it will be a good group.

Were great offensively, average to below defensively. Vontae Davis is the only blue chip player on defense. Most of the playoff teams have 4 to 5 blue chip players on defense. The defense will look great against the Jags, Titans, or Texans. When we have to go against Brady, Big Ben, or Rivers in the playoffs they get exposed.

We have at least 3 guys who can play RT with no Cherilus. So No.

We were fine at NT last year and they Should be Better. Barring Injury Parry doesn`t make the 53 man roster.

At the NFL level, Anderson won`t get much pressure.

RB Robinson is just a guy, has a shot for the practice squad.

Someone will over pay for Hilton in free agency. Jax? Get it?

TE Really? You keep the blocking TE as Fleener becomes the more expendable one.

CB DJoun can help immediately in 4 wide sets and covering some of the short stuff we get killed at.

Putting your best on the field DJoun May get some deep experience.

We will take another beating with these ILB`ers. But the Rush should be better.

And people say I'm negative lol. Looks like you don't have much faith in the Colts huh?