Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

La'el Collins Update

I want to start by stating that in no way do I take lightly the horrific event that led to the 29 year old woman her infant losing their lives and another young child losing a parent. It is an absolute tragedy. 

It appears that Collins will not be sitting out the 2015 season and will sign with a team once he is cleared of the case that has unfolded. Instead, he will sign as an undrafted free agent once cleared of any tie to the case. 

It would appear that the Colts would have to be near the top of his list of teams to play for (only a guess on my part). He has an opportunity to start immediately for a Super Bowl caliber team which will only raise his price tag once he reaches free agency in 4 years (3 year contract while reaching restricted status for year 4).

If he is cleared, I would imagine the Colts would be interested. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/02/collins-plans-to-sign-once-hes-cleared/ 

If he is cleared, I would imagine the Colts would be interested. 

That is my opinion as well. I know Grigson stressed about getting good character guys in the draft. I hope that he will be able to clear his name and Grigson make it a point to get him over other teams. However, I can see Grigson also not even making an attempt just because of the story that will most likely forever follow him. I hope not though.

Does anyone know when he will be cleared or how long before he is to be cleared. It has almost been a week how long does this process normally take for a person to be interviewed. Have not heard the whole story except that he was wanted for questioning did not hear he was a person of interest in this death

Does anyone know when he will be cleared or how long before he is to be cleared. It has almost been a week how long does this process normally take for a person to be interviewed. Have not heard the whole story except that he was wanted for questioning did not hear he was a person of interest in this death

Not only are they questioning him but he is also getting DNA testing does to find out if the child was his. Maybe that holds things up a bit too?

Not only are they questioning him but he is also getting DNA testing does to find out if the child was his. Maybe that holds things up a bit too?

If they put a rush it, they can get it back in 48 hours, sometimes sooner.

Here's a working link to the story......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/04/lawyer-says-lael-collins-met-with-police-answered-all-their-questions/

If Collins' is cleared I'd expect the Colts to make a huge push for him.    The only way I can see us not going after him is if Irsay says "no"....

But as a GM,  if given the green light,  I'd expect a full court press type of effort.

Stephen Holder from the Star just said on the radio that he doesn't expect the Colts will have much interest.

If he is cleared of any off field issues, why would Indy not go after him? RT is a position of need and he could play RG right away and then start at RT next year. He is mroe talented than Cherilus at this point in his career.  

I watched some videos of him and my impression is that he is not that good, very sloppy in his technique most of the time. I bet the Colts don't go after him because they think he is not that good and not necessarily because of character concerns.

Considering he was more than likely going to go in the first round, I'm going to have to disagree with you.

I watched some videos of him and my impression is that he is not that good, very sloppy in his technique most of the time. I bet the Colts don't go after him because they think he is not that good and not necessarily because of character concerns.

He's the best UDFA ever, at this stage.

Ross Dellenger just tweeted he has meetings lined up with the Dolphins and Bills. And that he's also heard from "almost every" NFL team.

almost                      +                         every

Indy Colts                   -                   all other teams

Grigson probably isn't even pursuing him. Nobody knows for sure, though.

I would hope that's not true but people in the media are acting like the Colts are luke warm on him. Even though our tackle situation sucks.

According to stampedeblue.com the Colts would have "lukewarm" interest at best in Collins.

Well, even if that was true, stampede blue is a blog site with no sources, so they really wouldn't be able to break any type of news like that.

Well, even if that was true, stampede blue is a blog site with no sources, so they really wouldn't be able to break any type of news like that.

Yeah true, but I've seen them say things that are correct also.  Not the only source I would use certainly.

The NFL should hold a special supplemental draft for Collins....(perhaps with a lottery type weighting system for the teams)...or simply allow him to go into the supplemental draft this year.

If some team wants him, then they give up next year's draft pick in the same round they bid.

Best would be to grant his request for the supplemental draft to avoid the circus that is already starting.

Well...

No sources known to you and me and everyone else here....

But I suspect they have a decent chance at having some sources....

yeah I could easily see Grigson not thinking he's good. His evaluation of talent on the o line and D blows

Put it this way if Grigson has any bit of a brain we should be the team that wants him the most. Our RT is old and has a degenerative knee. We're honestly the team that needs him the most IMO I believe he could replace Cherilus this year hell we could even cut him

I know it's a fan blog site.

Do they not have reporters on that site? Who wrote the comment about the Colts having "lukewarm" interest in Collins? A fan? Or a reporter?

No they don't. Im guessing they just repeated what Stephen Holder wrote.