Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's your grade on the 2015 NFL Draft?

We've all had a day to digest what happened in the 2015 NFL Draft. There were some highs and lows, some great picks and a few head scratchers. In your Opinion, how do you think we did. Give a letter grade and your reasoning behind it.

I give us a solid B for our draft. Dorsett was my no1 ranked WR in the entire draft and part of me is drooling over the fact that we got him. I was ok with it as long as we went defense for the next few picks, and that's exactly what we did. D'Joun Smith I actually am liking more and more. Love his confidence and people like Jon Gruden are really high on him as well. Henry Anderson was our best pick. He will make our D-Line a lot better and was a great value pick. Geathers is alright. I think he was a good, not great pick. T.J. Clemmings was the right pick here I think, and this is when the draft went downhill a bit. Parry was the worst pick of the draft. Not because I necessarily think he's the worst player, but because you picked a DT here and traded up and it wasn't Michael Bennett, a guy who could of easily been a starter for us. The Josh Robinson pick got a good reaction from me. Love the kid and I think he will be our starter when Gore is gone. He will probably get a few carries this year. The other two picks are meh, I would of gone Taiwan Jones at ILB instead and taken Cody Prewitt with our Comp pick because he would be highly sought after during the UDFA Period, and Denzelle as a UDFA.

Lot of potential here IMO and a very good UDFA class helps the grade. I hope we find a few gems and I think we definitely improved. Tell me what you think.

My grade is ......... incomplete

Grading on potential is tough

It sort of like grading a stack of unused lottery tickets...... you will only know if the lottery tickets are good

when they are actually used.

I was surprised with some picks, but our team, "on paper" got better

My favorite pick was Anderson........ I think he will be a star

I really LOVE this draft. I give it an A. I am not even trying to be biased.

I absolutely love the Dorsett pick. Yes, it was a luxury pick, but he has Pro Bowl potential. He is a cross between Hilton and Antonio Brown. Against the Patriots, no receiver could get open. They took away Hilton and no one stepped up. Now we add Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, and Dorsett to an offense that includes an improving Moncrief. Could be scary.

I was surprised how the draft played out starting in the 2nd round. An array of players went much earlier than I thought they would.

I like D'Joun Smith. I thought he would be a 3rd rounder, nice trade back. I like the Henry Anderson pick. Geathers was a nice pick, nice that he will have a year to be groomed. I am not familiar with Parry. I LOVE the Josh Robinson pick. He reminds me of Branden Oliver of the Chargers. He could surprise.

I have to say a B+

I just can't sit with that Dorsett pick considering who was still on the board.

But aside from that it went well. Tbh this was a weak draft class, and they're wasn't a lot of depth this year, but I thought we got a lot of bang for our buck. D'Juan Smith was a great pick that allowed us an earlier 4th.

Grigson finally got a safety and Geathers was one of those sleepers at that position. And of course the Anderson pick was great, since we finale addressed the line.

The Perry pick was confusing at first but makes a lot of sense when you consider the uncertainty with Chapman's future. Plus he could provide good depth at that position.

And of course I think Josh Robinson was the steal of the draft. Will be a great replacement for Gore and make everyone forget about Richardson. I don't know much about Amarlo Herrera and I thought Pullard was a better pick there, but it's cool. He's still an SEC player so he should have some skill.

All in all a good haul of players in a weak draft class with the Colts picking at the bottom of each round. Aside from the first round pick, I have no complaints.

I agree with most of your points Jared, B would be my grade. I too wish we had taken TJ Clemmings or Tre Jackson at 109 but also understand that we needed a safety so Geathers was okay there. I still am convinced that we should have taken M.Brown at 28 then moved up in the second round to take Landon Collins and then taken an OL in the 3rd.

With this said I am glad that we stick with defense throughout the second and third days so can't complain.

Edited by 21isSuperman

my only issue with the draft is not a single one will start this year expect maybe anderson and/or geathers if lowery and langford dont pan out. I have no problem with drafting dorsett when you actually look at the bigger picture of our WR situation

I forgot about Robinson.  Love that kid.  No idea what the NFL doesn't see in him - going as late as he did.

One scouting report questioned his field vision, lack of elusiveness and lack of break away speed. Certainly very strong and powerful. Called a "bowling ball". Sounds too much like TRich for my liking.

One scouting report questioned his field vision, lack of elusiveness and lack of break away speed. Certainly very strong and powerful. Called a "bowling ball". Sounds too much like TRich for my liking.

I am going by his tape, not an article.  And I see nice vision and elusiveness.  Doesn't have breakaway speed though.  Is bowling ball a bad thing?

The crazy thing is if you watch his tape his vision is actually pretty good. Also in another scouting report they consider that a strength of his. He was also the second highest running back with a 94.1 elusiveness rating in college football 2nd only to Todd Gurley. He doesn't quite have the breakaway speed you want as it is below average, but he has enough. He is a very powerful running back as that is his style. I don't think Richardson has the power nor the balance Robinson has and definitely doesn't have his vision.

The crazy thing is if you watch his tape his vision is actually pretty good. Also in another scouting report they consider that a strength of his. He was also the second highest running back with a 94.1 elusiveness rating in college football 2nd only to Todd Gurley. He doesn't quite have the breakaway speed you want as it is below average, but he has enough. He is a very powerful running back as that is his style. I don't think Richardson has the power nor the balance Robinson has and definitely doesn't have his vision.

He also doesn't plant his feet for five seconds to examine where a hole might be like TRich,

He also doesn't plant his feet for five seconds to examine where a hole might be like TRich,

Yeah that is another thing I like about him is he knows where the ball is going to go and he gets there. He doesn't wait he finds the hole or the closest thing to one and hits it. I actually really like Robinson's running style as he may not be the most athletic back but what he does works for him really well. Plus his production in the SEC speaks for itself.

I am going by his tape, not an article.  And I see nice vision and elusiveness.  Doesn't have breakaway speed though.  Is bowling ball a bad thing?

Don Nottingham, a former Colt and Mr. Irrelevant, was referred to as a bowling ball his entire career. He was used in short yardage.

Yeah that is another thing I like about him is he knows where the ball is going to go and he gets there. He doesn't wait he finds the hole or the closest thing to one and hits it. I actually really like Robinson's running style as he may not be the most athletic back but what he does works for him really well. Plus his production in the SEC speaks for itself.

Trich's production in the SEC certainly spoke for itself!

I guess different scouts view the same tapes and draw different conclusions.

I guess different scouts view the same tapes and draw different conclusions.

Yeah it happens a lot that is why one guy is ranked 1st on someones board but 3rd on another. Have you watched any film on Robinson if not I suggest you do and I am sure you will feel better about his vision. Trust me scouting reports are not always right it just someones opinion.

Don Nottingham, a former Colt and Mr. Irrelevant, was referred to as a bowling ball his entire career. He was used in short yardage.

Trich's production in the SEC certainly spoke for itself!

Have to say you got me there. Many people thought that Richardson was a top tier talent and what happened there? I never watched much tape of Richardson in college to be honest as I never thought the Colts were ever going to get him. So to be fair I can't honestly compare what they did in college against one another.

Yeah it happens a lot that is why one guy is ranked 1st on someones board but 3rd on another. Have you watched any film on Robinson if not I suggest you do and I am sure you will feel better about his vision. Trust me scouting reports are not always right it just someones opinion.

I only saw a highlights film of him. Of course, the highlights film only showed his best runs. In most cases he had a big hole opened up for him. So, no, I really haven't watched game films.

Probably a B+.

An A+ for the first two picks.

Thought the Anderson pick was okay. B

I assume Pagano sees something in Geathers that I don't readily understand. B-

Didn't car for the trade up to get Parry. C

Liked the Robinson pick. B+

Would have liked more ILB or DT prospects after the 5th round, which would have included one more pick that was given up for Parry. C

I only saw a highlights film of him. Of course, the highlights film only showed his best runs. In most cases he had a big hole opened up for him. So, no, I really haven't watched game films.

Yeah highlight films are only going to show his best runs. If you feel ambitious, and feel like checking some game film out here you go. I suggest watching both games as I think they were great.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/josh-robinson-2/

Have to say you got me there. Many people thought that Richardson was a top tier talent and what happened there? I never watched much tape of Richardson in college to be honest as I never thought the Colts were ever going to get him. So to be fair I can't honestly compare what they did in college against one another.

In TRich's senior season he ran for 1,679 yds averaging 5.9 y/carry with 21 TDs. He ran a 4.48 40 and did 25 BP reps. Scouts universally had him as a clear 1st round pick. I expect they are far better film watchers than I am. Not to mention, he had great games in both the 2010 and 2012 National Championships against tough defenses.

Net,net,  success in the SEC doesn't guarantee a thing.

Yeah highlight films are only going to show his best runs. If you feel ambitious, and feel like checking some game film out here you go. I suggest watching both games as I think they were great.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/josh-robinson-2/

I think we must be like two different scouts looking at the same film and drawing different conclusions. For the most part what I saw was excellent blocking by the MS OL.Sizeable holes were where they were designed to be. Robinson hit the designed hole and was into the second level virtually untouched.The commentator on the LSU film even stated "I can't say enough about the blocking schemes" that the MS OL was pulling off. Not to mention, I saw some evidence of another scout's concern about Robinson...that he will have to work to improve his pass blocking.

The problem is that he won't have big holes nor will they holes necessarily be where they are designed to be with this Colts OL.

There was a very funny meme posted in this forum after TRich was released saying that it summed up TRich's career with the Colts. It showed a huge hole on the right and TRich trying to run behind totally jammed up blockers on the left. Obviously, the Colts' OL hadn't created a hole where the play was designed to go, but TRich commited to it anyway.

Then why say anything? Not trying to be rude, but if there are contrary reports in someone, forming an opinion without watching is about as useful as pissing I'm the wind.

I think we must be like two different scouts looking at the same film and drawing different conclusions. For the most part what I saw was excellent blocking by the MS OL.Sizeable holes were where they were designed to be. Robinson hit the designed hole and was into the second level virtually untouched.The commentator on the LSU film even stated "I can't say enough about the blocking schemes" that the MS OL was pulling off. Not to mention, I saw some evidence of another scout's concern about Robinson...that he will have to work to improve his pass blocking.

The problem is that he won't have big holes nor will they holes necessarily be where they are designed to be with this Colts OL.

There was a very funny meme posted in this forum after TRich was released saying that it summed up TRich's career with the Colts. It showed a huge hole on the right and TRich trying to run behind totally jammed up blockers on the left. Obviously, the Colts' OL hadn't created a hole where the play was designed to go, but TRich commited to it anyway.

I understand your concerns I guess, but what you see and I see are two separate things like two different scouts might see for example. I agree Mississippi State did block pretty well and made some massive holes at times, but you must of overlooked the vision Robinson had to see them and the cuts that Robinson made to hit them. As you might say seeing huge holes is a given any running back should do it I agree, but Richardson didn't and that meme you described proved it. You also must of missed him running to the designed play area with no hole there yet Robinson seeing a hole on the back side of the line develop and planting his feet turning upfield and hitting the hole that was there tribute to his vision. Not to mention the plays where there was a slim hole and he exploded through it tribute to his vision and power. I also saw flashes of good pass blocking but it could improve. Like during the Kentucky game it was a play action pass and Dupree came around the corner untouched and Robinson put his shoulder pads on Dupree's knees; perfect cut block. It is fine though me and you have two different opinions, and I respect that. Thanks for offering your opinion I appreciate it, who knows you may be right too. Just to clarify as well, I am not trying to say that you are wrong at all, just trying to offer my opinion as I see something different.

Then why say anything? Not trying to be rude, but if there are contrary reports in someone, forming an opinion without watching is about as useful as pissing I'm the wind.

Go bug off. This is a forum. It is for discourse among fans. Are you the official moderator? What are your credentials for "policing" the dialog? I read several scouting reports before commenting. It is ridiculous for me to try to find all that are available. Different folks search for them in different ways and find different reports. When you make a comment are you sure that you have exhaustively turned over every stone before typing a word? 

I have now watched film of two games and I hold to my statements. I saw Robinson's OL creating sizeable holes at the line of scrimmage where they were designed to be. Robinson hit the designed holes and was into the second level virtually untouched. I didn't see evidence of him getting creative when the holes weren't where they were designed to be. He just ran where they were supposed to be and was tackled for little or no gain. IMHO, his success was primarily due to the OL. The commentator on the LSU game film even praised the OL for consistently creating running lanes for Robinson.

Sad to say, that won't be the case with the Colts. As often as not with this OL, which is not particularly good at run blocking, the holes aren't always where they are designed to be.  TRich had the same type of excellent line at Alabama. His senior year he ran for 1679 yds and 5.9 y/c and 21 TDs. His line created running lanes where they were designed to be and he was consistently into the second level before he was touched. Robinson may or may not have better vision than TRich. The point is his college success may well not translate to the Colts situation. 

I understand your concerns I guess, but what you see and I see are two separate things like two different scouts might see for example. I agree Mississippi State did block pretty well and made some massive holes at times, but you must of overlooked the vision Robinson had to see them and the cuts that Robinson made to hit them. As you might say seeing huge holes is a given any running back should do it I agree, but Richardson didn't and that meme you described proved it. You also must of missed him running to the designed play area with no hole there yet Robinson seeing a hole on the back side of the line develop and planting his feet turning upfield and hitting the hole that was there tribute to his vision. Not to mention the plays where there was a slim hole and he exploded through it tribute to his vision and power. I also saw flashes of good pass blocking but it could improve. Like during the Kentucky game it was a play action pass and Dupree came around the corner untouched and Robinson put his shoulder pads on Dupree's knees; perfect cut block. It is fine though me and you have two different opinions, and I respect that. Thanks for offering your opinion I appreciate it, who knows you may be right too. Just to clarify as well, I am not trying to say that you are wrong at all, just trying to offer my opinion as I see something different.

Thank you for the discourse and your politeness. I will readily admit that I am nothing approaching a football scout. For example, you see examples of good pass blocking and focus on that. I see him getting overrun in the LSU game a few times and I focus on that. Of course, you may well be right in that he may have great pass blocking potential. While I'm thinking he's certainly no Frank Gore at this point in time.

Very understandable.

Once again, thank you for your politeness. I appreciate it.

I just had a humorous thought... If congress can feel OK voting on bills that have a major impact on the public without reading them or knowing what is in them, then I guess I can feel OK commenting in this forum after only reading a few scouting reports without grading films since my comment won't affect anyone.

Just a humorous thought that entered my mind somehow. 

I think we came away with 3 future starters (Dorsett, Smith, Josh Robinson)......2 rotational D Linemen (Anderson, Parry) and 3 players Im not sure that will see a second contract (Geathers, Goode, Herrera).

I think we came away with 3 future starters (Dorsett, Smith, Josh Robinson)......2 rotational D Linemen (Anderson, Parry) and 3 players Im not sure that will see a second contract (Geathers, Goode, Herrera).

I pretty much agree with this. I do think Anderson will end up being a good starter for us. As for Geathers I think he will develop into a solid starter. The rest pretty much spot on.

Thank you for the discourse and your politeness. I will readily admit that I am nothing approaching a football scout. For example, you see examples of good pass blocking and focus on that. I see him getting overrun in the LSU game a few times and I focus on that. Of course, you may well be right in that he may have great pass blocking potential. While I'm thinking he's certainly no Frank Gore at this point in time.

Very understandable.

Once again, thank you for your politeness. I appreciate it.

Not a problem I actually love to hear other peoples points of view on players to make sure I am not missing something as I even look at my thoughts objectively at times haha. Again I am a long way from a scout myself, but I enjoy watching film on prospects. I agree pass blocking is a place were he could definitely improve as he did get ran over at times. I was just pointing out that he made good plays as well. Agreed he is no Frank Gore, but talk about a great mentor for a guy like Robinson.

By pick, which will yield an average:

Dorsett, B-: I don't think you pick for need, but in the first round, if you can maximize value by aligning your pick with a major need or getting more out of your pick by trading to a range where you can more directly improve your roster, then you get high marks from me. We did neither. Can't dictate the board, but a trade down would have been ideal. That said, the player picked is gonna be really good, I believe. In two years, Dorsett will be a fan favorite; Antonio Brown, by my projection. But I hope the roster is balanced enough in two years for our team to contend deep in the playoffs. We'll see about that.

Smith, B+: One of the best man corners in the draft, though undersized, still a tough defender. We managed to get him where the value was max by trading back, and moved up in the fourth. By my board, there might have been better players on the board, but he's a quality character guy, and that likely made him more attractive to the staff.

Anderson, A: One of my favorite players in the draft, and someone that I think will immediately contribute to our team. On day one, he's probably our best pass rushing DL. I think he's better than Armstead, who went two and a half rounds earlier (and probably better than a few other guys who went in the first). I'd give him a + if I thought he was a particularly strong value, but I think he went right were he should have, based on pre-draft projections.

Geathers, C+: Big, long, athletic, physical, hits hard, can make open field tackles, and when he's on, makes plays in coverage. But he's raw in technique, and is prone to mistakes in both phases. Needs a lot of coaching, but could be just as good as the consensus #1 safety in the draft, Landon Collins. Reason for the low grade is that everything I've seen suggests that he's was a late 5th / 6th rounder, yet we took him in the top third of the 4th round. Know one knows how every draft board looked, so maybe that's a nitpick. But not only do I think he's overdrafted, I would rather have had a number of other safety prospects -- Amos, Shaw, Derron Smith -- or other players -- Clemmings, Ajayi, Jarrett, etc.

Parry, B-: Another high character guy who can make the roster and get on the field right away. A shade NT who can disrupt and hold the point of attack. Pagano compared him to Kelly Gregg, and I think that's a good comp. But combined with overdrafting Geathers, this trade-up could have been Amos, and Geathers could have been Clemmings, and we would have checked off another need with GREAT value.

Robinson, B+: I think late-round RBs can generally contribute right away, and Robinson was very productive as a rusher and a receiver as a college senior, yet doesn't have a lot of mileage (only 148 touches prior to 2014). Prototype inside zone runner in terms of style and body, and he can pass block. He won't bend the corner, but if he catches the defense slipping, he can get to the second level quicker than you'd think. And of course, he's a finisher. 

Herrera, INC: I know next to nothing about him, but his profile isn't impressive. He racked up tackles, but isn't imposing and doesn't seem like his very athletic. Seems like Pat Angerer without the range meets Andrew Jackson without the body. But I've never specifically watched him play. As a late 6th, if he's just a special teamer, that's acceptable. If he can actually compete at ILB, it's a bonus.

Goode, INC: I know less than nothing about him. Big body, at the very least. Likely a PS guy, but if he kicks in to guard, he would probably be a mauler. 

Total grade averages out to a strong B (3.21). I was inclined to say B-. I'm good with this draft. Wish we had been able to swing a nice trade for #29, but given how good I think Dorsett will be, I'll learn to deal with it.

Dorsett:

I didn't like the pick one bit. Still don't. Grigson went BPA, according to his board. I'm surprised Dorsett would be BPA on his board, considering who else was available. Personally, I think BPA is a good way to do things, but with some limitations.

When you have big holes in some areas of the squad, and lots of available talent in other areas you just don't pick a player for a position where you have lots of quality and depth, unless it's a "Can't miss" talent who's heads and shoulders ahead of the rest on your board. If you're not in love with the available options at OT, DT, DE, ILB, S or even RB and CB - Trade down. Would have loved to have made the trade that Titans made with the Giants when they got Collins. But we didn't, and we could have had him late in the second if we really wanted him.

There's no doubt that the kid is talented, and I hope all the best for him. But I still think it was a bad decision.

D'Joun Smith.

Not overly ecstatic about that on either. Mostly because I thought there was better options than a CB at that point. But they went BPA again. I did like the trade down, though.

Henry Anderson.

Best pick in my opinion. Very pleased with that pick.

Geathers.

Seems like Pagano knew his coaches, so he has good intel on the kid. Let's hope that the intel holds up. To me, he seems like a "project". Maybe a special teams guy.

Parry.

He knows Anderson, so that should be a plus, if they actually get to play together. A good run stuffer,

Robinson.

Depth to the RB position. Liked that pick, and what I've seen of him.

Herrera.

Don't know much about him, but he fills a need.

Goode.

From the little I've been able to find on him, he's unlikely to be a tackle in the NFL, due to agility and feet. But a big mauler in the run game. Could be a future guard perhaps.

When looking at the draft this year, you also need to look at who we didn't pick when we had the chance.

I think there was better options for some of our picks, especially the first two picks.

We didn't improve our O-line, despite having the chance to pick several good RT's and while getting more options on D, we're still going to have problems against the run.

So putting a grade on it, weighing up the good and the bad.. Probably a C+/B-. Solid, but nothing exciting.