Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our D Line next year

RockThatBlue

Well one thing Coach and Grigson illuded to in the post draft Conf today was that with Anderson and Parry that Stanford D was pretty salty. They've been one of the top defenses in CFB the last number of years. So these guys had to have been something right. That Stanford D is nit easy to play and they are well coached. Also they said that Schematic wise as well as terminology wise there are alot of similarities between what Stanford does and we do. So it should make the transition alot easier on those guys.

I'm extremely excited about anderson.

I think him and Langford on the ends at times could cause trouble not to mention our OLBers. I think Langford is a very underestimated signing. And he's gonna be in a 3-4 now where he's really comfortable and at his best.

I think him and Langford on the ends at times could cause trouble not to mention our OLBers. I think Langford is a very underestimated signing. And he's gonna be in a 3-4 now where he's really comfortable and at his best.

A healthy Art Jones and Anderson on the line at the same time will be fun to watch too.

It depends. If they go back to that terrible tendency they had to not play guys, then our run D won't be any better.

Right now its still Chapman, Jones, and Langford penciled in as starters, and I'm not high on Chapman or Langford. I don't look for the run D to be anything special this year. We'll have to wait until Anderson is the starter and see what we have at NT between Chapman and Perry.

A healthy Art Jones and Anderson on the line at the same time will be fun to watch too.

Most definitely.. Im anxious to him get going at full health. I just mentioned Langford because he has that length. And two guys at 6'6 coming off the edge can really disrupt passing lanes as well as pressure the QB.

It depends. If they go back to that terrible tendency they had to not play guys, then our run D won't be any better.

Right now its still Chapman, Jones, and Langford penciled in as starters, and I'm not high on Chapman or Langford. I don't look for the run D to be anything special this year. We'll have to wait until Anderson is the starter and see what we have at NT between Chapman and Perry.

Not excusing him but you gotta remember Chapman is still very young and developing. And Langford has put up decent numbers in his time. Especially when he was in the 3-4. I think he's gonna be solid.

swiss_cheese.jpg

You're funny. Not! Unlike a lot of "experts" on here, I see the glass half full, not half empty. With Mathis coming back, and the addition of Cole, I have a lot of confidence. But people like you are probably skeptical about everything in life because you were hurt at some point in your life. Sorry, I don't subscribe to that. This is a Super Bowl caliber team. Maybe you should follow a not so successful team if you like to be negative. We came 1 game away from the SB, and all you can do is dwell on every negative possible. (edit)

If you actually thought about all of the good things, you might be upbeat. But that's not your style.

Edited by Superman

Not excusing him but you gotta remember Chapman is still very young and developing. And Langford has put up decent numbers in his time. Especially when he was in the 3-4. I think he's gonna be solid.

We can't afford for him to be sold when we left Redding go, who was good. He had to be better than Redding was our else we basically downgraded our defense.

And thus is the last % for Chapman. Contracts are coming up for the 2012 class and my guess is that with Luck going to be the highest paid QB in the league soon and T.Y. And Allen being deserving of new contracts, Chapman had to show something special to be deserving of even a cheap second contract because we need all the money we can get.

That's probably where Perry comes into play.

I don't think the Colts have done enough even with their additions made to the D line. Not really impressed with Langford, Anderson or Parry on paper. Will reserve final judgement until I see them play but right now I expect the Colts to have the same issues stopping the run against teams like the Pats that they have every season.

OK....

I'll bite.....    who didn't we play?

Everyone forgets that Robert Mathis is coming back.

And they also forget he was (is) kind of good.

I don't think everyone has forgotten .... but you also can't assume he is just going to pick up where he left off .... Hes older and coming off an injury there is a very real chance we don't get anything close to the old Mathis back.

I honestly don't expect Parry to make the 53. Big mistake taking him over Bennett IMO. Anderson pick was great, perfect pick at the time, he will be very good and start this year. Langford I'm so-so on. I think we'll be better, but not as good as we could of been.

The addition of Parry and Anderson.

The return of Mathis/ signing of Cole.

You'll also have Newsome coming into his second year.

Langford, Jones, Chapman and even Kerr.

If we can remain healthy.. Our defense should be solid.

I think the key to this is the improvement to an already strong football team

Overall we are a better team then we were last year

I am excited about next year

I honestly don't expect Parry to make the 53. Big mistake taking him over Bennett IMO. Anderson pick was great, perfect pick at the time, he will be very good and start this year. Langford I'm so-so on. I think we'll be better, but not as good as we could of been.

Parry will most certainly make the roster.

Langford/Chapman/Jones

Have Anderson be in a 50/50 rotation with Langford and I think the D-line is improved. Nate Irving is a pretty good run stopper, and I love the addition of Trent Cole. I think our front 7 is considerably better. 

I'd be depressed if the only additions we had were from the draft.  I like the FA additions and I think that Irving will be a good addition.  Cole as well.    I'm reserving judgment on the DT position.  

All you people who don't expect our run defense to be good again need to add "against the Patriots".

The run D was pretty solid except for those games. Certainly good enough.

Some simple math shows it should be better. Take our subtraction (Redding, Landry) from our additions. Comes out as a positive to me.

I know they are not the norm, but almost nobody wins back to back Super Bowls in today's game and that should include NE.  They lost their secondary after the Super Bowl and that kind of stuff plus the wear and tear of an extended season takes it's toll.  I think we have to worry more about the Steelers, Bengals, Ravens, etc..

All you people who don't expect our run defense to be good again need to add "against the Patriots".

The run D was pretty solid except for those games. Certainly good enough.

Some simple math shows it should be better. Take our subtraction (Redding, Landry) from our additions. Comes out as a positive to me.

Whoa with the common sense and logic in one post buddy...  :thmup:

I agree.  I still don't understand how a guy like Hughes doesn't dominate.  His size and speed are superior measurables and yet....

Technique, experience...

There are only a handful of players who "dominate" at that position. It's a bit too much to expect an UDFA to step in and do it.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, May 4, 2015 - quoting edited post
Hidden by Superman, May 4, 2015 - quoting edited post

You're funny. Not! Unlike a lot of "experts" on here, I see the glass half full, not half empty. With Mathis coming back, and the addition of Cole, I have a lot of confidence. But people like you are probably skeptical about everything in life because you were hurt at some point in your life. Sorry, I don't subscribe to that. This is a Super Bowl caliber team. Maybe you should follow a not so successful team if you like to be negative. We came 1 game away from the SB, and all you can do is dwell on every negative possible. I feel sorry for your significant other. (If you even have one)

If you actually thought about all of the good things, you might be upbeat. But that's not your style.

You took it too far.. Chill out

I think a lot depends on how guys like Kerr, Hughes and Anderson play.

I completely agree with this. I'm very excited to see how Kerr plays this season. He has shown some very strong ability at times. More consistency and familiarity should make him a solid contributor.

I think a lot depends on how guys like Kerr, Hughes and Anderson play.

I strongly agree. I'm hoping that either Hughes or Kerr, both from small schools and development projects, have developed to the point that they overtake and outperform Chapman. Chapman was healthy in 2014 and I think we have seen him at close to his ceiling. Insufficient. Hughes and Kerr, hopefully, have higher ceilings. I'm concerned that Parry will be overpowered by NFL linemen.

I think the D will be pretty solid, that's all they have to be considering there is no reason the O shouldn't be putting up 30 ppg......

If the O decides not to take advantage of the monumental amt of talent there, and or the OL continues to have the injury bug then there may be an issue.

We can't afford for him to be sold when we left Redding go, who was good. He had to be better than Redding was our else we basically downgraded our defense.

And thus is the last % for Chapman. Contracts are coming up for the 2012 class and my guess is that with Luck going to be the highest paid QB in the league soon and T.Y. And Allen being deserving of new contracts, Chapman had to show something special to be deserving of even a cheap second contract because we need all the money we can get.

That's probably where Perry comes into play.

Looking at Reddings and Langford numbers, they are pretty simular. And Solid and good are essentially the same. And as I said Langford is gonna be back in his natural position as a 5 tech where he is better and comfortable. He was having to be a DT in St.Louis. So you gotta take that into account. We'll see how it turns out.

I strongly agree. I'm hoping that either Hughes or Kerr, both from small schools and development projects, have developed to the point that they overtake and outperform Chapman. Chapman was healthy in 2014 and I think we have seen him at close to his ceiling. Insufficient. Hughes and Kerr, hopefully, have higher ceilings. I'm concerned that Parry will be overpowered by NFL linemen.

Would you happen to know why Kerr kinda disappeared shortly after the Season got underway? Was it injury, him getting sloppy? I was just wondering.

Would you happen to know why Kerr kinda disappeared shortly after the Season got underway? Was it injury, him getting sloppy? I was just wondering.

I don't know. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for this coming season that either he or Hughes overtakes Chapman. As I said, I'm concerned that Parry will be able to be overpowered in the NFL due to his size.