Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Bryan Bennett vs Connor Halliday Selection?

I guess I was never really that big of a fan of Halliday but that is just my opinion he seems to rush throws and forces the ball too much. I think Bennett could be a solid developmental guy especially when we get him in and get him NFL level coaching which will be a huge upgrade over what Southeastern Louisiana could offer him.

Washington State QB Connor Halliday (leg) "is recovered from injury and drawing a buzz," according to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora.

Halliday broke his tibia and fibula when Trojans defensive end Leonard Williams fell on his leg in November. "He was on pace to smash records before breaking his leg and impressed at his pro day," La Canfora wrote. "I would not be surprised at all if he is one of the first four or five quarterbacks taken (Miami, Pittsburgh, Washington and San Diego are among those looking at him)." The 6-foot-3, 204-pound Halliday threw for 11,308 yards and 90 touchdowns during his career in Mike Leach's offense at Washington State.

cuz halliday got hurt BADly

Maybe Halliday went to Washington because he got a better offer,  or thought it was a better opportunity in the long run?

Maybe we were interested in him,  but he wasn't all that interested in us.

Also,  with the new CBA,  what teams can offer these undrafted colllege free agents is very small.   I think the entire pool of money per team is roughly 75k.   Perhaps a little more, but not much.  

I think the top amount you can offer any one player is $15k.     So,  you have to be able to sign all the free agents you want for roughly 75k.     We're talking 5k per player this year as we signed 15.     I think last year we signed 20 kids,  so then it was less than $4k per player.

You can see,  there's only so much to offer.   The player is in complete control of where he goes.

It didn't work out for the Colts and Halliday.....

I heard a report from Gil Brandt this evening about the QB's in the Cowboys camp and just how awful they are.  I somehow feel most teams are n the same boat. I highly doubt any UDFA QB from this draft ever makes it in the league.  Maybe a PS for a couple, before they drift away into obscurity

Anyone know why we took Bryan Bennett instead of Connor Halliday out of WSU? Halliday graded out higher...and frankly this is the #3 position.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/connor-halliday?id=2552642

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/bryan-bennett?id=2552643

This may answer your question.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/25187348/redskins-rookie-qb-connor-halliday-retires-before-first-practice

That would provide a hypothetical answer....today. But not back when we took Bennett unless mgt had some inkling this might occur.

I wanted Halliday too... but the staff always talks about getting guys who love to play the game, and so on. If they weren't convinced of his enthusiasm during interviews or while watching him work out or whatever, or if there were rumors that he might hang 'em up, then they might not have been interested. Just spitballin'. 

I wanted Halliday too... but the staff always talks about getting guys who love to play the game, and so on. If they weren't convinced of his enthusiasm during interviews or while watching him work out or whatever, or if there were rumors that he might hang 'em up, then they might not have been interested. Just spitballin'. 

Suffered broken tibia and fibula in early November....didn't participate at the combine.....undrafted....possibly being #3 behind Luck and Hasselbeck....common knowledge that he would be cut after camp.

I can see where he might have an attitude problem. Watching all your hopes and dreams being flushed.

Suffered broken tibia and fibula in early November....didn't participate at the combine.....undrafted....possibly being #3 behind Luck and Hasselbeck....common knowledge that he would be cut after camp.

I can see where he might have an attitude problem. Watching all your hopes and dreams being flushed.

I can't. If you want to play, and you're auditioning for a job, you put your best foot forward. It's telling that he would walk away from his best shot at an NFL roster spot without talking to his coaches first. He's probably done.

I can't. If you want to play, and you're auditioning for a job, you put your best foot forward. It's telling that he would walk away from his best shot at an NFL roster spot without talking to his coaches first. He's probably done.

If I knew I had zero chance to make the Colts roster but maybe a slim chance on the Redskins......I might not interview well with the Colts either.

If I knew I had zero chance to make the Colts roster but maybe a slim chance on the Redskins......I might not interview well with the Colts either.

He was always going to be a UDFA. It's not like he had to compel any team to not draft him. You don't want to burn a bridge, ever. But the fact that he walked away from Washington says it's more than just him trying to pick his best destination. There's something else going on.

He was always going to be a UDFA. It's not like he had to compel any team to not draft him. You don't want to burn a bridge, ever. But the fact that he walked away from Washington says it's more than just him trying to pick his best destination. There's something else going on.

True

You always try to interview well -- especially if you're a quarterback -- because you never know when someone in that room interviewing you might be in a position to acquire you.

Maybe a person in that room makes a note to himself that if he ever gets a chance to acquire Connor Halliday,  he'll do it because he liked what was said in the interview room.

You never get a 2nd chance to make a good 1st impression.   That's true in everything, but especially in sports.

You always try to interview well -- especially if you're a quarterback -- because you never know when someone in that room interviewing you might be in a position to acquire you.

Maybe a person in that room makes a note to himself that if he ever gets a chance to acquire Connor Halliday,  he'll do it because he liked what was said in the interview room.

You never get a 2nd chance to make a good 1st impression.   That's true in everything, but especially in sports.

Perfect world.....however I'm sure his manager had some input and a vested interest in the outcome.

Again I'll pose the question....if you knew you could be picked up by the Colts as a #3 with almost a 100% guarantee you'd be cut after training camp (virtually guaranteeing you wouldn't play in 2015 for any team) or take the chance with any other team....wouldn't you try harder to be picked up by the other teams? I'm sure the Chargers interviewed Eli and he flat out told them to go pound sand so you can't say it doesn't happen.

This is just a hypothesis....the Colts probably didn't want him for other reasons so it's a mute point.

Perfect world.....however I'm sure his manager had some input and a vested interest in the outcome.

Again I'll pose the question....if you knew you could be picked up by the Colts as a #3 with almost a 100% guarantee you'd be cut after training camp (virtually guaranteeing you wouldn't play in 2015 for any team) or take the chance with any other team....wouldn't you try harder to be picked up by the other teams? I'm sure the Chargers interviewed Eli and he flat out told them to go pound sand so you can't say it doesn't happen.

This is just a hypothesis....the Colts probably didn't want him for other reasons so it's a mute point.

Honestly,  I don't disagree with you.    None of us even knows if the Colts had any interest in Halliday.   For all we know, our interest may have been tempered due to what we saw in his physical?    Or some other reason?     All sorts of things turn up in a profile that never gets to you and me and Superman and the rest of the fan base.

But I certainly wouldn't blame Halliday for picking Washington over Indy.   It's a better opportunity.   I would think most other teams are a better opportunity.

I've said in many posts that I don't expect Luck to have a young back-up for many years.   That when Hasselbeck retires, some other veteran will become our back-up.

If Halliday regain his interest in football, I'm sure some team will be happy to give him a try-out.   He's got too much talent not to give the kid a chance.  

Honestly,  I don't disagree with you.    None of us even knows if the Colts had any interest in Halliday.   For all we know, our interest may have been tempered due to what we saw in his physical?    Or some other reason?     All sorts of things turn up in a profile that never gets to you and me and Superman and the rest of the fan base.

But I certainly wouldn't blame Halliday for picking Washington over Indy.   It's a better opportunity.   I would think most other teams are a better opportunity.

I've said in many posts that I don't expect Luck to have a young back-up for many years.   That when Hasselbeck retires, some other veteran will become our back-up.

If Halliday regain his interest in football, I'm sure some team will be happy to give him a try-out.   He's got too much talent not to give the kid a chance.  

I'm sure there is a QB out there who has a similar skill set (at least practice squad level skills) who'd be willing to settle for $6,300 a week ($107,100 annually). That's probably more than an Arena League player makes and probably close to a backup in the CFL. Three years to refine your skills, possibly market yourself, bring in over $300K and 1 in a thousand chance you might actually have to take the field. Not to shabby for an undrafted twenty something.

I'm sure there is a QB out there who has a similar skill set (at least practice squad level skills) who'd be willing to settle for $6,300 a week ($107,100 annually). That's probably more than an Arena League player makes and probably close to a backup in the CFL. Three years to refine your skills, possibly market yourself, bring in over $300K and 1 in a thousand chance you might actually have to take the field. Not to shabby for an undrafted twenty something.

Yeah.....   but that assumes that we'd hold a spot on the PS for a 3rd string QB.

We did the first year (2012) with Chandler Harnisch.   But as soon as we signed Hasselbeck (2013) we haven't had a 3rd string QB on the PS since.

Not sure a young QB can count on that with the Colts.

Yeah.....   but that assumes that we'd hold a spot on the PS for a 3rd string QB.

We did the first year (2012) with Chandler Harnisch.   But as soon as we signed Hasselbeck (2013) we haven't had a 3rd string QB on the PS since.

Not sure a young QB can count on that with the Colts.

What exactly does the practice squad do during the season w/o a QB to practice with? It probably gets old just running around, hitting the weight room and reading the play book day after day. 

What exactly does the practice squad do during the season w/o a QB to practice with? It probably gets old just running around, hitting the weight room and reading the play book day after day. 

The PS squad players practice with the other 53 players.

And they do drills on their own to get better........

But a 10 person PS is too small so that you have to have a QB.  

I don't know what Arena League players make, but CFL players average about $80K/year. Rookies make about $50K. So sitting on the practice squad is better financially, at least in the short term. And if you get called up to the active roster, it's over $25K/week, with a three week minimum. 

• 2 weeks later...