Justin Houston

Aldon Smith

4-3 DT - - - - -

Ndamukong Suh

Gerald McCoy

4-3 OLB - - - - -

Von Miller

Lavonte David

Jamie Collins (perhaps a bit generous too early, but I would still say so)

ILB/MLB - - - - -

Luke Kuechly

CJ Mosley

DeAndre Levy

CB - - - - -

Darrelle Revis

Richard Sherman

Vontae Davis

Safety - - - - -

Earl Thomas

Kam Chancellor

• 2 weeks later...

Lets call it this way

1.) Aaron Rodgers

2.) Andrew Luck

..and then everyone else..

The mobility of Rodgers and Luck (separate from but not totally ignoring team success, of which they've both had plenty) puts them, a touch ahead of everyone else.....even the GOAT

Lets call it this way

1.) Aaron Rodgers

2.) Andrew Luck

..and then everyone else..

The mobility of Rodgers and Luck (separate from but not totally ignoring team success, of which they've both had plenty) puts them, a touch ahead of everyone else.....even the GOAT

Peyton with a jet pack still wouldn't be a better QB than Luck right now. He simply isn't the same as previous years.

You could probably add Greg Olsen to the TE list. I would put Julius Thomas over him, but Greg Olsen was both healthy and consistently good last year. 

RBs...Jamaal Charles, Eddie Lacy, or Demarco Murray.

WR...I feel like Dez Bryant should be on there, but I'm not sure who I would replace. That's tough.

QB 

Aaron Rodgers

Tom Brady

Andrew Luck

RB 

Jamaal Charles

Marshawn Lynch

Eddie Lacy

TE 

Rob Gronkowski

Jason Witten

Greg Olsen

WR 

Antonio Brown

Julio Jones

Dez Bryant

3-4 DE

JJ Watt

Sheldon Richardson

Calais Campbell

3-4 NT

Dontari Poe

Marcell Dareus

3-4 OLB 

Justin Houston

Aldon Smith

4-3 DT

Ndamukong Suh

Gerald McCoy

4-3 OLB 

Von Miller

Lavonte David

Jamie Collins (Definitely on the rise)

ILB/MLB 

Luke Kuechly

Brian Cushing

Bobby Wagner

CB

Darrelle Revis

Patrick Peterson (Give me all the crap you want)

Vontae Davis

Safety

Earl Thomas

Kam Chancellor

Eric Berry

Devin McCourty

I'd put Luck as #1 atm, he is slightly better than Rodgers due to age and less injury prone. Rodgers has not been healthy the last few seasons, always ends up getting banged up...but that's because their O-Line can't keep him up right.

Brees and Peyton over Luck, really...

Brees and Peyton have both accomplished more than Luck has, and are ahead of him in the mental aspect of the game. Luck has only been playing three years, of course 10 year vets at the top of the game are ahead of him. Once Luck starts cranking out 5000 like its nothing like Brees, starts setting TD passing records like Manning or quarterbacks at a hyper efficient level like Rodgers, then we'll talk.

Defense:

3-4 DE: Watt, Campbell, Wilkerson

HM: Richardson

4-3 DE: Mario Williams, Quinn, Ware

HM: Wake, Bennett

DT: Suh, Atkins, McCoy

HM: Dareus, Kyle Williams

NT: Poe, Ngata, Wilfork

HM: Damon Harrison

3-4 OLB: Houston, Matthews, Suggs

HM: Aldon Smith, Kerrigan, Hali

4-3 OLB: V Miller, L David, Irvin

HM: Collins, T Davis

ILB: Kuechly, Bowman, D Johnson

HM: Mayo, Wagner

CB: Sherman, Revis, Davis

HM: Haden, Harris Jr

FS: Thomas, McCourty, Quin

HM: Weddle

SS: Chancellor, Bethea, TJ Ward

HM: Berry, M Adams

K: Vinatieri, Gostkowski, Gould

HM: Bailey

P: McAfee, Lechler, Lee

HM: Morstead

KR: Anyone but Josh Cribbs

Personal Punt Protector: Tim Tebow

And to the guy hating on Brees...consider this. There are only five quarterbacks in the history of the NFL to pass for 5,000 yards in a single season. Marino, Brady, Manning, Stafford and Brees. No one has done this more then once, expect Brees...who has done it four times. He has as many 5k seasons as EVERY other QB in NFL history, combined.

Brees and Peyton have both accomplished more than Luck has, and are ahead of him in the mental aspect of the game. Luck has only been playing three years, of course 10 year vets at the top of the game are ahead of him. Once Luck starts cranking out 5000 like its nothing like Brees, starts setting TD passing records like Manning or quarterbacks at a hyper efficient level like Rodgers, then we'll talk.

Key word of the title: currently. If I was going by your rules, I'd pick Unitas and Montana among my top 3.

Key word of the title: currently. If I was going by your rules, I'd pick Unitas and Montana among my top 3.

Yeah, and I weighted my lists based on longevity at their positions, and performances in the 2013 and 2014 seasons. Manning and Brees didn't fall off a cliff. If I weighted it more towards future potential and youth, then Luck would be at the top of the list. I put him at #4. Unitas and Montana never put up the raw numbers that Manning and Brees have. Brees threw for more yards last year (4,900+) than Andrew Luck and most other quarterbacks have in their lifetime. This is while NO's offensive line struggled and their defense was awful. If you think Luck is already better than Brees...than I don't know how to convince you otherwise. Brees has surpassed 4k passing yards each of the last ten years...or in other words, since Andrew Luck was a teenager still in high school. The dude is good, a future hall of famer. Luck is not on that level yet. He has all the potential in the world yes...but this list is based on "currently".

Brees has done everything Andrew has done, and even won a Superbowl.

Yeah, and I weighted my lists based on longevity at their positions, and performances in the 2013 and 2014 seasons. Manning and Brees didn't fall off a cliff. If I weighted it more towards future potential and youth, then Luck would be at the top of the list. I put him at #4. Unitas and Montana never put up the raw numbers that Manning and Brees have. Brees threw for more yards last year (4,900+) than Andrew Luck and most other quarterbacks have in their lifetime. This is while NO's offensive line struggled and their defense was awful. If you think Luck is already better than Brees...than I don't know how to convince you otherwise. Brees has surpassed 4k passing yards each of the last ten years...or in other words, since Andrew Luck was a teenager still in high school. The dude is good, a future hall of famer. Luck is not on that level yet. He has all the potential in the world yes...but this list is based on "currently".

Brees has done everything Andrew has done, and even won a Superbowl.

You obviously do not watch the Saints much. Brees may throw heavy numbers, but pay attention to how many games we won last year. Also pay attention to his turnovers and all those close games that had the worst timed interceptions. I don't care if he throws for 5,000 like he did before, all those stats mean nothing if you can't win games. Same goes for Manning. All that stat padding in 2013 didn't win him a SB. 

Brees threw for more yards than Luck yet we go 7-9. Luck goes 11-5.

You don't have to ask me what quarterback I'd rather have in black and gold. 

I know it's easy to drool at numbers but I'm telling you, if you had the torture of watching the saints as I do, Brees has declined sharply, and no one wants to admit it. The Saints are the only team in the league that can get the #1 ranked offense in yardage statistics yet score 40 points in only one game all year long. I cannot tell you how many times last year they racked up big numbers and didn't score many points. This team had #1 offense, yet got held to 14 points vs Atlanta, who had the 32nd ranked defense. Carolina and Cincinnati held us to 10 points. Dallas had us shut down to just 3 points until the 4th quarter. 

Stats aren't everything, and do not worry about Luck. He will get you a Super Bowl in the near future. 

You obviously do not watch the Saints much. Brees may throw heavy numbers, but pay attention to how many games we won last year. Also pay attention to his turnovers and all those close games that had the worst timed interceptions. I don't care if he throws for 5,000 like he did before, all those stats mean nothing if you can't win games. Same goes for Manning. All that stat padding in 2013 didn't win him a SB. 

Brees threw for more yards than Luck yet we go 7-9. Luck goes 11-5.

You don't have to ask me what quarterback I'd rather have in black and gold. 

I know it's easy to drool at numbers but I'm telling you, if you had the torture of watching the saints as I do, Brees has declined sharply, and no one wants to admit it. The Saints are the only team in the league that can get the #1 ranked offense in yardage statistics yet score 40 points in only one game all year long. I cannot tell you how many times last year they racked up big numbers and didn't score many points. This team had #1 offense, yet got held to 14 points vs Atlanta, who had the 32nd ranked defense. Carolina and Cincinnati held us to 10 points. Dallas had us shut down to just 3 points until the 4th quarter. 

Stats aren't everything, and do not worry about Luck. He will get you a Super Bowl in the near future. 

Brees posted 69.2 Completion Percentage, and threw 17 interceptions.

Luck posted a 61.7 Completion Percentage, and threw 16 interceptions.

You can't bring up Brees's interceptions and fail to mention Andrew's. Andrew had some poorly timed turnovers as well. Stat's aren't everything no...but I see no indication that Drew's performance "sharply declined". If it did, it's because he was behind a struggling offensive line and the defense couldn't make any stops. To win in the NFL, you need a defense doing it's part. Indy finished 11th in yards allowed, where the Saints finished 31st. You don't think that could possibly be the difference between a 7-9 record and 11-5?

Again, once Andrew wins a Superbowl, or breaks Manning's records, or breaks Brees's records, then I will view him on the same level as those guys. Luck has time on his side, he is only 25. But being only 25 doesn't make him any better now.

Really, the difference between Brees and Luck right now isn't significant either way you look at it. However, in my opinion Brees is still playing at a higher level than Luck has so far in his career. I don't see why I am getting called out on that opinion. Luck had some drool inducing stats last year, but like you said...all those stats didn't win him a Superbowl.

Brees had a "down year" to an extent, but his "down year" is better than any year most QBs have ever posted in their lifetime. The Saints defense last year was nearly the worst in the league, and that is what Drew had to work with in New Orleans.

You can't bring up Brees's interceptions and fail to mention Andrew's. Andrew had some poorly timed turnovers as well. Stat's aren't everything no...but I see no indication that Drew's performance "sharply declined". If it did, it's because he was behind a struggling offensive line and the defense couldn't make any stops. To win in the NFL, you need a defense doing it's part. Indy finished 11th in yards allowed, where the Saints finished 31st. You don't think that could possibly be the difference between a 7-9 record and 11-5?

Again, once Andrew wins a Superbowl, or breaks Manning's records, or breaks Brees's records, then I will view him on the same level as those guys. Luck has time on his side, he is only 25. But being only 25 doesn't make him any better now.

Really, the difference between Brees and Luck right now isn't significant either way you look at it. However, in my opinion Brees is still playing at a higher level than Luck has so far in his career. I don't see why I am getting called out on that opinion. Luck had some drool inducing stats last year, but like you said...all those stats didn't win him a Superbowl.

Brees had a "down year" to an extent, but his "down year" is better than any year most QBs have ever posted in their lifetime. The Saints defense last year was nearly the worst in the league, and that is what Drew had to work with in New Orleans.

"Stats don't give the whole story"

That's silly. Unitas and Montana are not active ("current") players. Brees is still one of the elite QBs currently playing.

Agreed.

As for your list of top 3 defensive players at each position, what do you think of safety Harrison Smith? He is one of the best players that no one, outside of Vikings fans, knows.

Quote:

The Minnesota Vikings safety was named to Pro Football Focus' All-Pro Defensive Team at the safety spot as the top safety in the NFL over the likes of those who were selected in front of him to the Pro Bowl and to the Associated Press All-Pro Team. Smith was named a starter alongside Chargers safety Eric Weddle,...

Smith was the No. 2-highest graded safety on PFF with a +17.9 grade, only behind Weddle who earned a +18.9 grade. The next highest safety was 3.5 points lower than Smith and Weddle.

http://min.247sports.com/Bolt/Harrison-Smith-Named-PFF-All-Pro-Floyd-Honorable-Mention-34535714

"Stats don't give the whole story"

No, they don't...but this is a rather pointless argument for me to participating in. As far as I am concerned, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Luck, Brady and Ben are the six "elite" QBs in the league. How you rank them as far as who is 1, who is 2 and who is 6 is based on personal preference. You could rank them in any order and you wouldn't be "wrong", it depends on what you like.

If you like gaudy TD numbers, MVP awards, deciphering a defense and a quick release, Manning is your guy.

If you like pinpoint accuracy, hyper efficient QBing and someone who never throws the INT, Rodgers is your guy.

If you like insane yardage totals and a guy that can march your offense up and down the field passing nearly every play, Brees is your guy.

If you like youth, potential, mobility, toughness and deep passing, Luck is your guy.

If you like Superbowl appearances and clutch play, Ben is your guy.

If you like cheating scandals, deflated footballs, tainted rings and five yard passes, Brady is your guy.

Comes down to what you like from your quarterback.

As far as Harrison Smith as a top safety, he would certainly deserve to be in the conversation. I personally haven't seen him play enough to put him in the top 3-5 at his position, but he may deserve to be there. When I have seen him play, he has been solid, but lacks the jaw dropping INTs and splash plays that really make a safety stand out amongst his peers.

Nobody has had more poorly timed interceptions than Drew Bree's the last two years.

Nobody has had more poorly timed interceptions than Drew Bree's the last two years.

I get the feeling that this statement is based on how you felt when you posted this, not any actual analysis. How do you reach this conclusion? 

I get the feeling that this statement is based on how you felt when you posted this, not any actual analysis. How do you reach this conclusion?

Watching highlights of him throwing interceptions in the fourth quarter of close games.....coming from behind and with the lead. I believe it was also a discussion Matt Williamson had on his football today podcast.

For my own future reference:

I'd like to know when a good time to throw an INT is.

Bad: first quarter when the score is zero zero

Worse: 5 min to go in the game and you are holding onto a 3 point lead

And yes, I know it was mostly in jest