Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

At least two teams, possibly more, have approached NY Jets about trading for Muhammad Wilkerson.

I don't see why that makes a difference.

To me it's like trading your best player to the Pats although it's not that extreme in this case.  Or trading to an inter divisional rival.

I just don't see the Jets sending him to the Colts.   Maybe I'm reaching here

To me it's like trading your best player to the Pats although it's not that extreme in this case.  Or trading to an inter divisional rival.

I just don't see the Jets sending him to the Colts.   Maybe I'm reaching here

I think you are.  It's not a common opponent.  In the division matters, a team you play once every few years does not.

I think you are.  It's not a common opponent.  In the division matters, a team you play once every few years does not.

I agree, I don't think it would matter if they traded with in the conference unless there was a choice between 2 teams, one NFC and one AFC team that had very similar trade packages. Now, if we were looking at a star QB trade, that may be different but it is a positional player that doesn't direct the game like a QB does. I see a trade of this guy, even though he may be very good, not making a bit of difference to the Jets who gets him outside of their own division providing they are given compensation they like.

Personally, I would stick with the guys we have and build they LB's group up. Keep the draft picks and build the team from the draft. We have enough talent to get where we need to unless we get no help in this years draft or have many injuries. IMO

I wouldn't be against trading a second rounder for Wilkerson. He's one of the best defensive lineman in the league.

Plus he's only 25.

Those two facts are why you wouldn't get him for a 2nd rounder

I'd he was available for any pick below 61, he'd be on another team right now.

I would love to see the Jets trade him away as long as it is to a team in the NFC. :)

But this speaks to the issues they are going to have retaining their stars with how much they are paying Revis and Cro. Both Wilkerson and Sheldon will be FAs next year so it would seem they will try to retain Sheldon and see what they can get for Wilk.

I would love to see the Jets trade him away as long as it is to a team in the NFC. :)

But this speaks to the issues they are going to have retaining their stars with how much they are paying Revis and Cro. Both Wilkerson and Sheldon will be FAs next year so it would seem they will try to retain Sheldon and see what they can get for Wilk.

Sheldon is not a FA next year. And they have his 5th year option. He won't be a FA until 2018 at the earliest. 

Same here.

I venture it's going to be in the 90-100m range.

Probably should wait till he is a FA and outbid NYJ if we want him. At most I'd consider a 2nd & 6th, but not our 1st.

Yeah, a high draft pick (maybe multiple picks), plus a Gerald McCoy / JJ Watt contract? Hard to pass up, but no thanks.

Sheldon is not a FA next year. And they have his 5th year option. He won't be a FA until 2018 at the earliest. 

I think I must have him confused with another player. I read somewhere that they had Wilkerson and another key player up after 2015. I thought it was defensive but maybe it was on the offense? I will look it up ...

Yeah, a high draft pick (maybe multiple picks), plus a Gerald McCoy / JJ Watt contract? Hard to pass up, but no thanks.

Those are valuable resources we could be using to draft guys like Bjoern Werner and signings like RJF and Laron Landry. 

I wouldn't be against trading a second rounder for Wilkerson. He's one of the best defensive lineman in the league.

Plus he's only 25.

One of the best defensive players in the league and he's only 25, for a 2nd round pick? 

29635062.jpg

One of the best defensive players in the league and he's only 25, for a 2nd round pick? 

29635062.jpg

If we get Wilkerson and an extra Jets' (say 3rd or 4th rounder) pick, I'd be fine with giving up the 1st, which is essentially a 2nd rounder for practical purposes.

It just cannot be a flat out exchange of a 1st rounder for Wilkerson. That extra pick might come in handy for us.

It is not far fetched to state that Rex Ryan had as much to do with Wilkerson's success as anyone else. One cannot just be enamored so much to expect them to replicate the same level of success somewhere else. That is why I am happy we did not go after Pernell McPhee.

If we get Wilkerson and an extra Jets' (say 3rd or 4th rounder) pick, I'd be fine with giving up the 1st, which is essentially a 2nd rounder for practical purposes.

It just cannot be a flat out exchange of a 1st rounder for Wilkerson. That extra pick might come in handy for us.

It is not far fetched to state that Rex Ryan had as much to do with Wilkerson's success as anyone else. One cannot just be enamored so much to expect them to replicate the same level of success somewhere else. That is why I am happy we did not go after Pernell McPhee.

I have no opinion on giving up a 1st or 2nd round pick for Wilkerson.  I don't watch enough of the Jets to say what I believe he's worth.  However, if he really is one of the better defensive players in the league, and considering the fact he's only 25, there's no way imo he could be had straight up for anything less than a 1st.

I have no opinion on giving up a 1st or 2nd round pick for Wilkerson.  I don't watch enough of the Jets to say what I believe he's worth.  However, if he really is one of the better defensive players in the league, and considering the fact he's only 25, there's no way imo he could be had straight up for anything less than a 1st.

While the premise of it might be fine (where I agree with you), the timing of the Jets' requesting such a high return during a draft loaded with DL prospects might not fetch them what they want.

I think I must have him confused with another player. I read somewhere that they had Wilkerson and another key player up after 2015. I thought it was defensive but maybe it was on the offense? I will look it up ...

You are probably getting Sheldon Richardson confused with their NT Damon Harrison which he is stud for them as well.

Considering that he's in a contract year for 6.9 million I would not be a huge fan of giving up a high draft pick for him.  

He's gonna want big money and if you don't sign him to a new deal along with the trade then he could just bolt your team after one year.  

You are dreaming. And Parnell McPhee isn't in the same galaxy as Wilkerson as a player.

Considering that he's in a contract year for 6.9 million I would not be a huge fan of giving up a high draft pick for him.  

He's gonna want big money and if you don't sign him to a new deal along with the trade then he could just bolt your team after one year.

Why do colts fans not want to pay anyone?

Seriously wth!

So people on this board, notably quite a few in THIS thread want the Colts to draft a defensive lineman in the first, A FIRST ROUND PICK, yet DON'T want to give up a FIRST ROUND PICK for a PROVEN, top tier mind you, NFL defensive lineman.

521aca06b6125c841827a1814edefdc4.jpg

Defensive linemen in the draft are younger and cheaper.  

And unproven.... I'd give a first rounder for a PROVEN NFL player, who fits and is needed, over ANY college player.

So you would have traded the #1 overall pick in 2012 away for say Matt Ryan or maybe AP.  Because I'm sure the Vikings would have pulled the trigger on that trade any day.

You build through the draft, not by trading away picks.  The reason you build through the draft is because proven NFL players who are not on rookie contracts cost a lot of money against your cap.  Draft picks cost very little money against the cap.  

This guy is one of the best in the league. . . Ok good for him.  But he's NEVER ever going to be cheap.  He's gonna want a big money deal or he's going to walk.  That big money we need to extend Andrew Luck who we consequently got through the draft and has given us 3 years of uber cheap play in comparison to his production.  Do you know how much our cap hit on Luck was last year?  6 million. . .  Do you know how much QB's who lead the league in TD passes normally get paid when they arn't on rookie deals?  That's up near the 20 million dollar range.

Build through the draft, I don't think it's a good idea to trade for stars unless the price is really good.  Maybe a 3rd rounder for him, and I'm being nice.  If someone else wants to give up more for him they can, it's their cap space that they will be sacrificing.

It would be a pretty slick move by the Jets if they can dump Wilkerson right before an impending mega-contract to go right back to the well for Fowler or Williams... that's assuming either one would pan out like he did.  Williams being the safest pick in the draft, it would be a big money-saver.