Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady Mad at White House...? Thoughts?

Gramz

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the situation is over rated. The White House visit isn't mandatory, and if Brady didn't want to go, or had previous commitments, so be it. Maybe the statements did rub him the wrong way; in that case, Brady was justified in not paying a visit. The writer should just get over it and go on to different topics.

Steven A Smith is such a filthy racist. My god, he actually pulled the race card on this issue too. 

ESPN's Steven A. Smith.

"So Tom Brady couldn't attend, huh? So Tom Brady couldn't attend," Smith said on the April 24 edition of First Take. "But was he there in 2001 when George W. Bush was president? Yes. Was he there in 2003 and 2004? I'm not sure about anything, I'm just simply presenting the question because I got a problem with the fact that the franchise quarterback... the face of New England Patriots, the future Hall of Famer and all of this other stuff. Tom Brady can't do anything wrong. He passes gas as perfume, OK. That's how untouchable Tom Brady is but when George W. Bush was president in 2001, 2003, 2004, Tom Brady was there. Tom Brady was there at the White House celebrating."

Really? Seriously? 

Steven A Smith is such a filthy racist. My god, he actually pulled the race card on this issue too. 

ESPN's Steven A. Smith.

"So Tom Brady couldn't attend, huh? So Tom Brady couldn't attend," Smith said on the April 24 edition of First Take. "But was he there in 2001 when George W. Bush was president? Yes. Was he there in 2003 and 2004? I'm not sure about anything, I'm just simply presenting the question because I got a problem with the fact that the franchise quarterback... the face of New England Patriots, the future Hall of Famer and all of this other stuff. Tom Brady can't do anything wrong. He passes gas as perfume, OK. That's how untouchable Tom Brady is but when George W. Bush was president in 2001, 2003, 2004, Tom Brady was there. Tom Brady was there at the White House celebrating."

Really? Seriously? 

lol. That is classic Smith. Everything is race to him unless it does not fit his agenda than it's not. lol.

Tom Brady may be running for the GOP. He is sooooo loved around the world. Indiana would become Democratic with a hint of Thomas Brady POTUS! HA HA HA!

This just in: His Campaign poster...to prove he is real...

tom-brady-crying.jpg

Thanks for bringing humor to this. :thanks:

The guy literally said NOTHING about race.  Maybe he's saying Brady is a Republican.  Wouldn't that be a scandal in Massachussets?!?!

That would be interesting.  I could half imagine Boston running him out of town and throwing the SB trophies at him as he left.

But really I think we are making too much of this stuff.  It might not have much to do with Obama as much as Brady saying "Well I've already done 3 of these.  I'd rather spend my time off relaxing."

If he did it because he's a Republican then that just seems petty.  Lots of people go to White House visits with presidents they disagree with, it's still an honor.  

That would be interesting.  I could half imagine Boston running him out of town and throwing the SB trophies at him as he left.

But really I think we are making too much of this stuff.  It might not have much to do with Obama as much as Brady saying "Well I've already done 3 of these.  I'd rather spend my time off relaxing."

If he did it because he's a Republican then that just seems petty.  Lots of people go to White House visits with presidents they disagree with, it's still an honor.  

Brady is registered as an independent.

ESPN's Steven A. Smith.

Really? Seriously? 

lol. That is classic Smith. Everything is race to him unless it does not fit his agenda than it's not. lol.

What in the world are the two of you talking about?

You know what, never mind... I don't want to do this.

I think he had reasons that go beyond a family commitment.  Who plans any sort of family commitment on the day you have to meet the President of the United States? I wouldn't be surprised if he had some private dislike of white house policies or something else.  I remember Matt Burke skipping out on meeting the president because Burke didn't support Planned Parenthood I believe.  It's possible Brady may have had a similar reason. Who knows?

Brady is registered as an independent.

Doesn't mean anything, in my state you are registered as an independent until you vote in a primary.  If you don't vote in a primary but show up each election day and punch 10 or punch 12 you would still be registered as an independent, but that doesn't mean that's what you really are.

I can tell you that whatever I'm registered as doesn't reflect actual political leanings.  Mostly because the parties that best represent my political leanings are in Europe and don't exist of any relevant size in the US.  I'd vote for Angela Merkel if she was a US citizen.

Doesn't mean anything, in my state you are registered as an independent until you vote in a primary.  If you don't vote in a primary but show up each election day and punch 10 or punch 12 you would still be registered as an independent, but that doesn't mean that's what you really are.

I can tell you that whatever I'm registered as doesn't reflect actual political leanings.  Mostly because the parties that best represent my political leanings are in Europe and don't exist of any relevant size in the US.  I'd vote for Angela Merkel if she was a US citizen.

I know. I was just telling you he is registered as an independent not a Republican.

The guy literally said NOTHING about race.  Maybe he's saying Brady is a Republican.  Wouldn't that be a scandal in Massachussets?!?!

That is not the entire quote.  He also mentioned Clinton who is a democrat.  The fact that Smith indicated that Brady would be there had it been Clinton or Bush, but now not Obama, make some draw a conclusion that Smith's comments were not all politically based.

who knows what his reasons were, there could be many including some of the following:

He has done it three times and the novelty has warn off,

He wanted his teammates to get the limelight,

He had other obligations,

Political,

Was not happy about the Whitehouse, which really should otherwise stay out of sports, making comments about the issue of Deflategate, an otherwise minor infraction to anyone that understands football,

And so on.

What in the world are the two of you talking about?

You know what, never mind... I don't want to do this.

The subtext seems obvious, but maybe I've heard too many people label others as racist just for not liking Obama. What other reason would Smith mention Bush in this context? Smith has a pattern of hinting that people are racist without just saying it. 

But I digress. I'm not trying to wind up a debate about this. Smith's comments were in the OP link, the author adding "Smith seemed to insinuate that Brady didn't show up because Obama's president" at the end of the quote from Smith I posted above. 

I am curious what you think Smith was suggesting with his comment? Perhaps he was suggesting that Brady is a devout republican? 

That is not the entire quote.  He also mentioned Clinton who is a democrat.  The fact that Smith indicated that Brady would be there had it been Clinton or Bush, but now not Obama, make some draw a conclusion that Smith's comments were not all politically based.

Meh, I'm of the opinion that allegations of racism, sexism etc should be handled on the basis of beyond a reasonable doubt.  

It's also kind of silly, how many black teammates has Brady had over the years?  How many have said that Brady is a racist?  If he was so racist that he chose not to go to the WH specifically because the president is black, I really doubt he could keep said attitudes hidden from his teammates.

The more likely answer is simply because he's bored of it.  He's done it 3 times.  It's probably the same old song and dance each time.  It's cool the first time obviously but after that, it's just kind of silly.  

The subtext seems obvious, but maybe I've heard too many people label others as racist just for not liking Obama. What other reason would Smith mention Bush in this context? Smith has a pattern of hinting that people are racist without just saying it. 

But I digress. I'm not trying to wind up a debate about this. Smith's comments were in the OP link, the author adding "Smith seemed to insinuate that Brady didn't show up because Obama's president" at the end of the quote from Smith I posted above. 

I am curious what you think Smith was suggesting with his comment? Perhaps he was suggesting that Brady is a devout republican? 

How come it can't be an insinuation by Smith that Brady doesn't like Obama, without it being Smith accusing Brady of being racist?

Most of you will dismiss out-of-hand the possibility that there was nothing deceitful or nefarious going on with "Deflategate," so this is a moot point, but I'll say it anyway.

Imagine something happening in your life/career that called your integrity into question. Pretty much everything you've achieved or accomplished. Regardless of what you do professionally, imagine the mental, physical, and overall effort that you've put into getting to where you are today. And then imagine that all being called into question, unfairly in your view, and for mostly ulterior/peripheral reasons. 

I thought the comments from the White House press guy back in January were just... I don't know, inappropriate. Considering the source, that is. And I know Brady holds any slight very close to the vest. I think it ticked him off but it's not like he's complaining publicly about it. There may have been a commitment or prior thing that could probably have been moved, but he chose not to. I don't have any problem with that either way. 

How come it can't be an insinuation by Smith that Brady doesn't like Obama, without it being Smith accusing Brady of being racist?

1) Smith ignored the comments that the White House press secretary made about Brady concerning deflategate. I wouldn't have gone either. Brady's like "Been there done that". 

2) For over 6 years, people have used the race card to attack people who espouse their displeasure with Obama. Such a thing becomes ingrained and I see Smith's comments as purposely ambiguous barbs. Elaboration is needed if he was to go so far as to make cracks about Brady's farts. 

Most of you will dismiss out-of-hand the possibility that there was nothing deceitful or nefarious going on with "Deflategate," so this is a moot point, but I'll say it anyway.

Imagine something happening in your life/career that called your integrity into question. Pretty much everything you've achieved or accomplished. Regardless of what you do professionally, imagine the mental, physical, and overall effort that you've put into getting to where you are today. And then imagine that all being called into question, unfairly in your view, and for mostly ulterior/peripheral reasons. 

I thought the comments from the White House press guy back in January were just... I don't know, inappropriate. Considering the source, that is. And I know Brady holds any slight very close to the vest. I think it ticked him off but it's not like he's complaining publicly about it. There may have been a commitment or prior thing that could probably have been moved, but he chose not to. I don't have any problem with that either way. 

The press secretary didn't accuse Brady of anything. He said he was bad at his presser. I think that's beyond dispute.

And whether that's the reason Brady didn't go or not -- he has no obligation to go, and isn't the first high profile SB winner to decline (James Harrison comes to mind) -- when you're Tom Brady and you choose not to go to a high profile event like this, it's going to raise eyebrows. I don't care that he didn't go, or why he didn't go, and I don't care whether he lied about why he didn't go, etc. But it's not surprising that people are talking about this.

1) Smith ignored the comments that the White House press secretary made about Brady concerning deflategate. I wouldn't have gone either. Brady's like "Been there done that". 

2) For over 6 years, people have used the race card to attack people who espouse their displeasure with Obama. Such a thing becomes ingrained and I see Smith's comments as purposely ambiguous barbs. Elaboration is needed if he was to go so far as to make cracks about Brady's farts. 

Who cares if Smith ignored the press secretary comments? How is that relevant?

And when a person says nothing about race, and you call him a racist, you don't get to blame it on everyone else. That's your responsibility, as the one who made the inference.

And when a person says nothing about race, and you call him a racist, you don't get to blame it on everyone else. That's your responsibility, as the one who made the inference.

Well.......history?

"Stephen A. Smith is too smart to come right out and call Chip Kelly a racist. Smith knows that an accusation like that would require evidence, and Smith has none.

So what Smith did on ESPN First Take today is he merely implied that Kelly is a racist, going over a selection of Kelly’s recent roster moves and then hinting that Kelly might not want black players in his locker room.

“Chip Kelly makes decisions over the last couple of years that, dare I say, leave a few brothers feeling uncomfortable,” Smith said. “I think that’s fair to say. I mean, we’re sitting here looking at some of the decisions that Chip Kelly makes and I’m like what is up? What’s up with that? I mean, it’s like you’ve got to be his kind of guy, you know? And I’m like, well, Riley Cooper’s your kind of guy?”"

You're surprised that I'm accusing him of racial subtext when Smith literally just used racial subtext to smear and shame another man? 

Who cares if Smith ignored the press secretary comments? How is that relevant?

I care. If Smith is going to use his platform to insult NFL players, he should be clear and elaborate. Agreed? 

I care. If Smith is going to use his platform to insult NFL players, he should be clear and elaborate. Agreed? 

No, on several counts. First, he didn't insult Tom Brady.

Second, between you and Stephen A. Smith, only one of you called someone "a filthy racist" within the past week.

No, on several counts. First, he didn't insult Tom Brady.

Second, between you and Stephen A. Smith, only one of you called someone "a filthy racist" within the past week.

So you're telling me that if I just randomly told you during one of our many interesting debates that you are an "Untouchable man that can do no wrong and your farts are perfume", you wouldn't feel that I just took a shot? 

Maybe Smith didn't say that because Smith is a racist, but he's still a racist. He proved that to me with his Chip Kelly comments. Precedent comes into play here. 

So you're telling me that if I just randomly told you during one of our many interesting debates that you are an "Untouchable man that can do no wrong and your farts are perfume", you wouldn't feel that I just took a shot? 

Maybe Smith didn't say that because Smith is a racist, but he's still a racist. He proved that to me with his Chip Kelly comments. Precedent comes into play here. 

No, I wouldn't feel you took a shot. I'd feel you were being sarcastic. He was saying that Brady is often viewed as untouchable and above any criticism. That's not an insult.

I don't care for Stephen A. Smith. But calling someone a filthy racist when he didn't say anything about race is interesting, at the very least. I guess every time he comes up, you'll say the same thing...?

I also disagree with this idea that if a person points out what they perceive to be racism that it makes them racist.

who knows what his reasons were, there could be many including some of the following:

He has done it three times and the novelty has warn off,

He wanted his teammates to get the limelight,

He had other obligations,

Political,

Was not happy about the Whitehouse, which really should otherwise stay out of sports, making comments about the issue of Deflategate, an otherwise minor infraction to anyone that understands football,

And so on.

He's a crybaby. 

No, I wouldn't feel you took a shot. I'd feel you were being sarcastic. He was saying that Brady is often viewed as untouchable and above any criticism. That's not an insult.

I'll call it 'backhanded sarcasm' then. It felt as if Smith was projecting those comments onto Brady, as if this is what Brady believes to be true of himself. 

I don't care for Stephen A. Smith. But calling someone a filthy racist when he didn't say anything about race is interesting, at the very least. I guess every time he comes up, you'll say the same thing...?

Yeah, I'll always identify with Smith as a racist and a racial agitator after making what I consider to be outrageous, inexcusable remarks about Chip Kelly. 

I also disagree with this idea that if a person points out what they perceive to be racism that it makes them racist.

If Mike Golic said on his radio show [paraphrasing from Smith's remarks about Kelly] "Lovie smith keeps making decisions over the years that, dare I say, leave a few white people feeling uncomfortable".........you telling me that wouldn't get BLASTED by the media, the fans, the league. Golic would've been fired within seconds. 

Here in freedom loving America, we call that a "double standard".

He's a crybaby. 

Devils advocate time; Eventually Tom's gonna need to have a Super Bowl ring sized for his toes. Dude be all like "I'm outta fingers, coach." 

He's got fire and passion, I have no perception that he's a crybaby. 

I'll call it 'backhanded sarcasm' then. It felt as if Smith was projecting those comments onto Brady, as if this is what Brady believes to be true of himself. 

I'm pretty sure sarcasm is always backhanded. 

As for the rest, I've already contributed way too much to this ridiculous topic. I don't care whether Brady went to the White House, or why. I don't care about Stephen A. Smith or his comments. I just think you're being outrageous, again. Pretend I didn't say anything.

I'm pretty sure sarcasm is always backhanded. 

As for the rest, I've already contributed way too much to this ridiculous topic. I don't care whether Brady went to the White House, or why. I don't care about Stephen A. Smith or his comments. I just think you're being outrageous, again. Pretend I didn't say anything.

Sorry... My bad.  I'm the one that started this "ridiculous topic".   I should have known better, I don't normally start topics and I should have known the places this one  would go.

Feel free to close it, or delete.