Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shane Ray cited for possession.

Sometimes draft prospects just can't get out of their own way.

It is not a good thing for the Colts to have 2 of the top Edge rushers to slide past us. We need Gregory and Ray to be taken in front of us to help avoid a run on offensive lineman. 

Not surprising.......Im actually surprised Markus Golden hasn't been busted yet(I watched him do an interview at Missouri and he was clearly higher then a kite, If I remember correctly the interview was with Ray as well on the SEC network), Shame some extremely talented kids got to be stupid

I love Shane Ray. I know I might be in the minority but he'll be the best pure pass rusher in this class easily IMO. He's my "Man Crush" of this class and tbh my favorite player. If he's there at 29, and we take him I'll go bananas (happiness). 

I wasn't as giddy as you about him, but by the same Toke - n , I wasn't as down on him as many others here.  But now, I am.  I hope he falls at least to round 3 now.  :-(

I love Shane Ray. I know I might be in the minority but he'll be the best pure pass rusher in this class easily IMO. He's my "Man Crush" of this class and tbh my favorite player. If he's there at 29, and we take him I'll go bananas (happiness). 

I believe Ray is going to be a good pro, if these off field issues do not become chronic. He very well could have cost himself a first round grade on several teams boards. 

Before today, I would have thought he had very little chance to be there at #29, but now it is certainly a possibility.

The biggest hurdle of your dream coming true is, does Grigson take the character risk? He has been burned so many times that I think Ray might be off our board now too.

It's all your fault Dustin!

Poor Shane has been reading all your negative posts about him and he just got so depressed....    he couldn't help himself....

Put another notch on your belt....      :thmup:

But seriously,  how stupid does one have to be to get busted the WEEK OF THE DRAFT!?!?

hopefully this also gets him off our board not a fan of his bet polian feels pretty silly right now

Why would Polian feel silly? He went on the information he had. Now the information has changed.

I can tell you without a doubt, he would be off of Polian's board now too. Polian did not take character risks. 

Why would Polian feel silly? He went on the information he had. Now the information has changed.

I can tell you without a doubt, he would be off of Polian's board now too. Polian did not take character risks. 

his comparisons of Ray to Robert Mathis which i thought were just bizarre

When it comes down to the ability to play football, Polian is probably still correct.

Now we have another variable though. Is this guy going to be an off the field problem? If Polian ever had to think about asking himself that question then he just would not draft the player. 

Polian's drafting traits were actually pretty simple. 

1. Did the player produce in college?
  2. Does the player have character issues?
  3. Is the player fast for his position?

If the player met the criteria then Polian would dig more into the players abilities.

guys, what in the world does "fail to drive in the right lane of the highway with two or more lanes" mean?

Sounds a lot like "being black on a Saturday night" to me...

Edit: that was a joke... I'm actually not sure what Ray's race or ethnicity actually is... and, of course, I wasn't there..

guys, what in the world does "fail to drive in the right lane of the highway with two or more lanes" mean?

I presume the inner-lane is to be used for passing. Sounds like he may have been driving too slow or erratic or something. I bet he almost had a heart attack right before and after the cop lit them up.

With several states having pot legal, I can live with a player getting busted by the league for testing positive, or being arrested for pure possession. It is the direction the whole country seems to moving to. I would rather not have to accept it, but it is hard to stop a movement. What I do not like is when they are pulled over when they are high. For me, it is the same as a DUI with as potent as pot is these days. Also, if a player, like Gregory has shown to be a habitual user, then I take him off my board. Habitual use does not make for players who have football as their career and number 1 priority.

With that said, I think Ray is going to be there at #29. I don't think Gregory will slip that far because he is a better talent, and he has already asked for help. So teams are going to say at a certain point, too much talent wins. For Ray with the toe injury, and a bad pro day, I believe 2nd round now, but someone may view him the same way. Dustin is one of few I have read that do not like the kid as a player. Most are like Polian who think at our spot he would be a steal. Hopefully someone before us feels the same way, but I also will take into account the fact so many talent scouts like the kid, there has to be something there.

I believe Ray is going to be a good pro, if these off field issues do not become chronic. He very well could have cost himself a first round grade on several teams boards. 

Before today, I would have thought he had very little chance to be there at #29, but now it is certainly a possibility.

The biggest hurdle of your dream coming true is, does Grigson take the character risk? He has been burned so many times that I think Ray might be off our board now too.

No, he won't if true to his words to Sports Illustrated-

**If you turn over as many stones as the Colts do, you have to be willing to get your hands dirty. Grigson knows that every Super Bowl champion has employed players whom you wouldn't ask to babysit your kids. He will not draft a player he deems a character risk in the first four rounds. After that he will consider it, as long as the player has the potential to be a starter.**

"Usually these aren't the cleanest guys, or they don't learn well, or they have some sort of drug issue, or maybe they don't fit in society well," he says. "But between the white lines, they can go all day. That's their sanctuary."

Quote toward bottom of this article-

http://www.si.com/vault/2015/04/20/106753868/the-prospector

What's bizarre?

They're almost the same size...    they were both under-size defensive ends....    and they have similar styles.

Don't you think Polian knows what Matis was when he drafted him?    He sees the same thing now.....

What's bizarre?

They're almost the same size... they were both under-size defensive ends.... and they have similar styles.

Don't you think Polian knows what Matis was when he drafted him? He sees the same thing now.....

He's undersized now?

Mathis was 235lbs coming out of college and is 6'2" 34 4/8 inch arms

Ray is 6'3" 33 1/8 inch arms and 245lbs

Regardless, if Ray keeps his head on straight and doesn't get into more trouble and develops(Mainly strength and pass rush repertoire) like he should this whole Ray debate will be moot because teams will have to account for him every single snap, He is going to have multiple years of double digit sacks and with good coaching do well against the run

Mathis was 235lbs coming out of college and is 6'2" 34 4/8 inch arms

Ray is 6'3" 33 1/8 inch arms and 245lbs

Regardless, if Ray keeps his head on straight and doesn't get into more trouble and develops(Mainly strength and pass rush repertoire) like he should this whole Ray debate will be moot because teams will have to account for him every single snap, He is going to have multiple years of double digit sacks and with good coaching do well against the run

Functional strength rarely improves and if it does it still will be well below average against NFL tackles as opposed to CFB ones.

Functional strength rarely improves and if it does it still will be well below average against NFL tackles as opposed to CFB ones.

I think it can given time in NFL weight lifting/training program, Not saying it will a lot. I think it did over the years for guys like Mathis and now Jerry Hughes, A lot of times I agree with you on a prospect but I think your going to end up being off on Ray

First Gregory, now Ray.  Its not that being busted right before the draft is bad.....it is....its the fact that they have had these issues apparently throughout their college careers.

Its gotta be a mindset.  It must be really easy for young people to be made to believe its not a big deal...and that law enforcement is actually the enemy.

Somebody needs to sit these mush minded kids down and tell them...

"You are on scholarship because you are an athlete, and you want to be a professional athlete after college.  How would it look if you were a frequent cigarette smoker? 

Would anybody take your desire to be a professional athlete seriously if you were? 

And who are you listening to that makes you believe that smoking pot is somehow cool and doesn't matter?" 

He's undersized now?

Now you're trying to get cute.

He's under-sized as a 4-3 defensive end.  

He's NOT under-sized as a 3-4 OLB.

Since we run a 3-4,  his size is fine for the Colts.      And I've never argued anything else.

I was simply commenting on what Polian sees in Ray that he saw in Mathis.   They're roughly the same size is one quality.

First Gregory, now Ray.  Its not that being busted right before the draft is bad.....it is....its the fact that they have had these issues apparently throughout their college careers.

Its gotta be a mindset.  It must be really easy for young people to be made to believe its not a big deal...and that law enforcement is actually the enemy.

Somebody needs to sit these mush minded kids down and tell them...

"You are on scholarship because you are an athlete, and you want to be a professional athlete after college.  How would it look if you were a frequent cigarette smoker? 

Would anybody take your desire to be a professional athlete seriously if you were? 

And who are you listening to that makes you believe that smoking pot is somehow cool and doesn't matter?" 

From a coaching position, it is telling about the players decision making.  Getting caught for week a week before the draft means the kids doesn't have good decision making abilities.  What is he going to do on Friday night before the travel off for the big game Sunday?  GM's and coaches also worry about potential chronic issues, since testing will be frequent from now on for that player.

From a coaching position, it is telling about the players decision making.  Getting caught for week a week before the draft means the kids doesn't have good decision making abilities.  What is he going to do on Friday night before the travel off for the big game Sunday?  GM's and coaches also worry about potential chronic issues, since testing will be frequent from now on for that player.

After the Dion Jordan news, Shane Ray is losing A LOT of money. Our #29 pick will sign a four year contract for ~$7.5m. Our #128 pick will sign a four year contract for ~$2.7m. 

If you can't make it a few weeks before the draft without sparking up, there are serious questions about your ability to avoid getting caught during the season.