Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock Draft 1.0

Hey guys, just thought I would give a shot at a mock draft while I'm at work and bored.  I'm going to be taking a bit of a different approach in this draft.  I know a lot of you want us either upgrading our front 7 with our first pick or using it on O-Line.  I wouldn't disagree with doing this, but there are only a handful of players that I would want in the first round to fill those needs. As for player availability I took into account multiple other mock drafts to figure if they will be available or not (WalterFootball, Draftek, Nfl, ESPN, SI, etc)

R1 #29 - Byron Jones CB Connecticut 6'1'' 200 lbs

I love this kid.  He doesn't fill a HUGE need on our team, but along side Vontae Davis gives us bookend corners for a long time.  He has great measurables for the position, smart with great instincts, high character kid, and reads routes/ball well. Has good tape to go along his combine performance, I think this would greatly improve our secondary. Unless Randy Gregory falls too us, or if Ereck Flowers from Florida is available I think this would be a great pick.  More of a fill and BA pickup(could also argue for Erik Kendricks).

R2 #61 - Stephone Anthony ILB Clemson 6'3'' 243 lbs

This will be controversial for a lot of you, not because of the pick, but more so availability.  I actually wouldn't mind moving up in the 2nd to get this kid if we were to get Jones, Flowers, or an EDGE rusher in the 1st.  He has prototypical size for the position, has plus-speed, nose for the ball carrier, great in coverage, and moves well sideline to sideline.  He does everything you want your ILB to do.  Does struggle a bit disengaging from blocks and doesn't show much development blitzing.

R3 #93 - Tre' Jackson OG Florida St. 6'5'' 335 lbs

This would be a great value pick.  Will shore up the interior of our offensive line and the run game.  He reminds me of Larry Warford they have a lot of the same traits.  As for someone his size he isn't that explosive out of his stance.  Struggles a bit sliding his feet and in pass protection, but could loss some weight without losing power to help with that and is coachable. Does a decent job at pulling as well.

R4 #128 - Adrian Amos S Penn St. 6'0'' 218 lbs

This is another kid I really like that people aren't talking about as much, again he may not be available here, but I've seen him here this late in a couple mocks.  He is a great athlete at safety, shows great range and coverage skills.  Has fluid hips and dips well and shoes versatility in coverage.  In terms of run support, its not that he is unwilling more so that he doesn't engage himself.  He has the size and speed to be a thumper, but he tends to launch himself into the runner rather than wrapping up and bring the runner down.  I feel like this is something he can be taught though, as he is not unwilling to get to the runner.

R5 #165 - Cameron Artis-Payne RB Auburn 5'10'' 212 lbs

Maybe not the running back of the future, but shows good patience and vision.  He doesn't hit the hole/seam with authority has shown that he can, but needs to more consistently. Good for depth/backup role.

R6 #204 - Derrick Lott DT Tennessee-Chatt 6'4'' 314 lbs

Doesn't have the size for NT, but shows quickness to pass the rusher and had 30 bench reps so shows solid strength.  Shows good technique.  Could be a surprise DE that can replace Redding.

R6 #206 - Deiondez Mount OLB Louisville 6'5'' 243 lbs

Has good size and arm length for the position.  Had a solid pro-day 4.62 40 and 28 bench reps. Doesn't display a lot of pass-rushing ability, but can learn under Mathis and Cole.  Shows effort and could be Jonathan Newsome 2.0

R7 #244 - Austin Shepherd OT Alabama  6'4'' 315 lbs

Tough smart kid. Shows solid abilities in pass protection.  A bit weak at the point of attack in the run game and doesn't show great strength.  Could add more strength and 10 lbs to frame without losing lateral speed. Best part is he is intelligent and very coachable.  Could be a great depth pick and has starting potential.

R7 #255 - Zach Hodges OLB Harvard 6'2'' 250 lbs

He was a bit of a feel good story coming into the draft.  I think he plays with a lot of energy and a controlled wreckless.  A bit raw in pass rushing skills and has good instincts but doesn't always trust them.  A bit small and could add some strength and bulk.  Rotational player and could blossom into a starter.

Really nice mock. I am really liking the idea of CB in the 1st as well. I would really like Kevin Johnson in the 1st, but he is beginning to have his value shoot up so Byron Jones or Ronald Darby would be close 2nds. I really like the Tre' Jackson pick in the 3rd that would be awesome value at that pick. I think he has the potential to be a pro bowl G in the NFL.

This is probably one of my favorite drafts.. I am not sure about Byron Jones (mostly because I have watched any tape) but his combine was amazing! I would really like it if we could grab Stephone Anthony could turn out to be the best all around Linebacker in this draft. We desperately need a 3 down linebacker. I also like the value of Derrick Lott in round 6.

Edited by 21isSuperman

I like it. I for one really hope we go DB first in the draft. I don't think there's a safety I would pick in the first so I want Peters or Jones.

Yeah I don't like any of the safeties enough to draft them #1 either.  I prefer Jones over Peters because I find their ceilings to be about the same, but Jones has no character concerns nor coaching concerns.  Whereas Peters comes with both and I don't think he is as technically sound either.

Rather have Josh Robinson than Payne but good mock

I agree. Overall it looks good but I'd prefer another back as well. In the 5th other options could be Buck allen, Johnson, possibly Cobb, Langford, and of course Robinson.

I actually hadn't done TOO much scouting for RB's as I find it the least of our worries this past year, but this years draft class is pretty deep at RB so it wouldn't be bad to pick one up.  Of all the ones that might be available in the middle rounds Langford was my favorite, but he was mocked to be gone before out 4th round pick in every mock so I went with Payne.  I honestly haven't seen/watched much on Robinson.

Really nice mock. I am really liking the idea of CB in the 1st as well. I would really like Kevin Johnson in the 1st, but he is beginning to have his value shoot up so Byron Jones or Ronald Darby would be close 2nds. I really like the Tre' Jackson pick in the 3rd that would be awesome value at that pick. I think he has the potential to be a pro bowl G in the NFL.

I personally like Jones better then Johnson.  The thing about Johnson is he is very lanky and although length is good he is too small for my taste.  Jones is probably my favorite CB of the group honestly overall.  Tre' Jackson would be awesome IMO.  I see him as Pro Bowl potential as well... literally a Larry Warford in my eyes.  I hope we pick him up.

I like it. The fact that everyone and their dogs have Derrick Lott in their mocks tells me it is a near certainty he wont be a Colt. Shame.

haha, you never know! I would love to pick him up I think he would be great at DE for us and could be the Michael Bennett from Seattle of our defense with his versatility and technique.

leave. i'll join fire grigs if we take jones

Well at least you gave a solid reason as to why you don't like it. -claps-

Good mock

However, I think your first round pick will be there in the late to mid 2nd round

I really think that we will need a DL with our first pick

I can almost guarantee you Jones won't be there for our 2nd round.  As to your concerns at DL, I completely understand, but there aren't many guys I REALLY like for DL at #29.  I find Armstead and Goldman to be a bit overrated.  Unless Danny Shelton falls to us, which I highly doubt he will, and Jones is available I rather grab him than Armstead or Goldman.

This is probably one of my favorite drafts.. I am not sure about Byron Jones (mostly because I have watched any tape) but his combine was amazing! I would really like it if we could grab Stephone Anthony could turn out to be the best all around Linebacker in this draft. We desperately need a 3 down linebacker. I also like the value of Derrick Lott in round 6.

I love the first four rounds.  I'm not a huge Byron Jones fan but I wouldn't complain.

I mean Byron Jones isn't a sure fire thing, but he has a lot of upside in my opinion, he has the work ethic and intelligence we would want, and has the athleticism and body type to play press for us. His tape is a bit inconsistent, but I think it is solid enough to warrant picking him up at #29

Jones is very good imo.

Would you prefer to grab him in the 1st round over guys like Armstead, Goldman, and Kendricks?  The handful I rather have than Jones in the 1st are if Ereck Flowers, Randy Gregory, or Danny Shelton if they were to fall to us.

Would you prefer to grab him in the 1st round over guys like Armstead, Goldman, and Kendricks?  The handful I rather have than Jones in the 1st are if Ereck Flowers, Randy Gregory, or Danny Shelton if they were to fall to us.

I'd take him over Goldman. Not over Kendricks or Armstead though.

Would you grab Kendricks if you knew Stephone Anthony would be available to us in the 2nd?