Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts view Ulrick John as the next RT?

The mystery draft pick from last year is Ulrick John. He looked very good in the limited playing time he received in the pre season. Then the injury. Apparently he has bulked up through the year and is now a much bigger player. He could be a surprise and potentially Cherilus' replacement.

Many have mocked an O-lineman to the Colts in the first or second day of the draft. Does Ulrick John give the Colts the luxury of not taking a top O-lineman early?

I hope not.

Based on?  If they have seen him play, while we really we haven't, and believe he has the talent to be successful there, I don't see how anyone would be against that.  

Normally you are right Dustin, but unless you are basing that on something other than him being a 7th round pick, I gotta agree with Wig. He hasn't had enough of a sample size to say he's bad yet. I would like to draft someone else in the first three rounds, but John deserves a shot to compete and we don't anything yet based on last year.

I'm usually against putting stock into late round picks and UDFA guys, but this is an OT we're talking about. You don't need high round draft picks at that position to be successful. We'll see what John can do in pre-season.

RT isn't an incredibly hard position to play, which is why LTs get the big money.

Normally you are right Dustin, but unless you are basing that on something other than him being a 7th round pick, I gotta agree with Wig. He hasn't had enough of a sample size to say he's bad yet. I would like to draft someone else in the first three rounds, but John deserves a shot to compete and we don't anything yet based on last year.

I don't think he's bad. I have nothing to base that on. I hope that the FO doesn't view a 7th round pick who practiced like 6 times as a potential starter at RT. It would be reckless.

Ulrick John was picked in the 7th round out of Georgia State because he was going to be a project.  He weighed 287 playing tackle, and was on All Conference 2 years in a row.

He worked to add muscle and weight through the entire season and offseason.

The Colts are still high on him, and he is now 300 pounds.  I am sure we would have liked to see more put on.

Lets just see how he does in the OTAs, training camp and pre-season.  Nobody knows how good he is except the Colts.

Ulrick John was picked in the 7th round out of Georgia State because he was going to be a project. He weighed 287 playing tackle, and was on All Conference 2 years in a row.

He worked to add muscle and weight through the entire season and offseason.

The Colts are still high on him, and he is now 300 pounds. I am sure we would have liked to see more put on.

Lets just see how he does in the OTAs, training camp and pre-season. Nobody knows how good he is except the Colts.

The Colts don't even know how good he is. He didn't even make it to the regular season.

I don't think he's bad. I have nothing to base that on. I hope that the FO doesn't view a 7th round pick who practiced like 6 times as a potential starter at RT. It would be reckless.

I would agree with that sentiment I'd we were talking about a position like LB, edge rushers, or safety. But I think you can get away with it with certain positions like RT.

Now I'm not okay with Grigs thinking our D-Line depth is fine because of Montori Hughes and Zach Kerr, but I'm not opposed to putting stock in a 7th round RT depending on how he does in the pre-season.

The Colts don't even know how good he is. He didn't even make it to the regular season.

And that also means that Dustin doesn't even know how good he is.    You've never seen him play at all.

And the Colts have seen him in practice.    I'm NOT talking about THIS year.   But in the near future.

But,  you've already decided...................

And that also means that Dustin doesn't even know how good he is. You've never seen him play at all.

And the Colts have seen him in practice. I'm not talking about THIS year. But in the near future.

But, you've already decided...................

I literally said like 3 posts above I don't know how good he is.

The Colts still know the most of anyone.  I am sure that he was seem working his tail off in rehab.  Half of that is wanting the chance to play in the NFL.

I do not seehim asthe starter by any means ...but Griggs likes him.

Based on him being 7th round pick.

A lot of all time greats weren't seen that way out of college. Not saying he's that, but if the only people to have really seen him think he can be the guy, people who haven't shouldn't pass judgement.

I think he as as good a shot as anyone else on the roster. He showed some potential last year in his limited playing time. He has increased his weight and has had a year of strength and conditioning. I personally wouldn't feel good if the colts went into the season with only him and Cherilus as the two options at RT. However, we have Heremans and Reitz that can bounce out in a pinch. I still hope we would draft a OT in round 3 or 4 to have the solid depth at the position.

The Colts still know the most of anyone.  I am sure that he was seem working his tail off in rehab.  Half of that is wanting the chance to play in the NFL.

I do not seehim asthe starter by any means ...but Griggs likes him.

Yes that's half the battle . :thmup: They knew he was green when they drafted him , and I know Grigs sees a lot of upside or he wouldn't be here.

Yes that's half the battle . :thmup: They knew he was green when they drafted him , and I know Grigs sees a lot of upside or he wouldn't be here.

One thing I liked was he was a 'cut 297.'  How often do we say that about an OL?  Some guys are all belly.  All I know is they kept him, and had planned on him being on the PS all year for a reason.

Some good thoughts on this thread. I suspect the Colts do not go O-line on day one or two but instead look for a diamond in the rough on day 3. Defense is just too important right now.

And I do think its correct that with the number of guard prospects on the team, Mewhort could bounce out to the RT slot if necessary.