Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano Extension/Not SB or bust (Merge)

12isthenew18

....  this comes at tonight's (Friday) cancer fund raiser in Pagano's name.

Irsay is quoted extensively in this article....

One thing he says he wants to make clear....   that 2015 is NOT a Super Bowl or fired scenario...  which is very good to hear...

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/11796/irsay-isnt-ruling-out-chuck-pagano-extension-before-season

....  this comes at tonight's (Friday) cancer fund raiser in Pagano's name.

Irsay is quoted extensively in this article....

One thing he says he wants to make clear....   that 2015 is NOT a Super Bowl or fired scenario...  which is very good to hear...

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/11796/irsay-isnt-ruling-out-chuck-pagano-extension-before-season

I just saw that interview on local TV, and could have swore he said "before the season's end".

I just saw that interview on local TV, and could have swore he said "before the season's end".

Here's the quote,  lifted from the story I linked....

"He’s done a very good job.  Nothing rules out that we couldn’t have an extension done before the season.  If not, we can still, I’m sure, probably work things out.”

Here's the quote,  lifted from the story I linked....

"He’s done a very good job.  Nothing rules out that we couldn’t have an extension done before the season.  If not, we can still, I’m sure, probably work things out.”

Thanks, but that doesn't change what I thought I heard him actually say.

I'll see if it's aired again, and pay more attention.

In my opinion if we lose a close AFCCG then it'll be ok, but nothing less.

Pagano is not going nowhere IMO as long as the Colts get into the playoffs. We can all debate, hate, love or anything else we care to think but Irsay will keep Chuck around as long as the Colts are knocking at the door. I think Pagano and Grigson are going to be around for quite a while

Jim Irsay makes bold moves that often pay off. He is playing with fire on this one though. Chuck Pagano is an outstanding coach who will only get better. If we manage to win another 10+ games then his market value will be through the roof at the end of the year. Not giving Pagano a fair deal now sends the wrong message to the fans, the players, and the coaches.

Jim Irsay makes bold moves that often pay off. He is playing with fire on this one though. Chuck Pagano is an outstanding coach who will only get better. If we manage to win another 10+ games then his market value will be through the roof at the end of the year. Not giving Pagano a fair deal now sends the wrong message to the fans, the players, and the coaches.

I agree Chuck would be a hot commodity.  The other side of that equation is he would be viewed as a guy who walked away from a team with this much potential, a team that most HC's would love to coach with a franchise QB.

It's all posturing on both sides and I am sure the comments will continue in this manner until a deal gets signed.

Pagano is supposed to be a defensive guru but the defense has been mediocre at best. He is easily replaceable and will hardly have a market value through the roof. The only must sign is #12.

Irsay's comment " The losses to the Cowboys, Steelers and Patriots are concerning" I believe he wants

to see if Pags can make the adjustments against the Steelers and Pats before he gives him 

an extension.

These are two of the biggest threats in the AFC, and it does no good to have a guy that gets blown

out against the two teams that are in our way to the Superbowl.

My only questions in this contract stuff is what is Pagano asking for in a contract? I mean, is he asking for top 3 money at head coach? Is he asking for more control? If pagano is such a "hot commodity, why has the team hired Chudinski and kept him off the market? As a few have pointed out, Pagano is supposed to be the defensive guru guy but we haven't seen anything special in our defense. If he has to have an assistant to monitor the offense or make on filed decisions during the game, how impressive is the man in reality?

Pagano is a real nice story with an elite young franchise QB. He was given a ton of cap space for last season and this season and probably next so has it been maximized? Is this a product of players picked in spite of Pagano buying in on them or a product of Grigggs saying here is what I purchased, make them work?

Is this contract hold up a product of Pagano's coaching and missteps along the way or a product of his GM not meshing well and not providing him the playmakers he desired? Pagano has made some gaffs in decisions made in game and Griggs has not brought in as many playmakers as we need. In fact one could argue that Vonte Davis is the only real playmaker brought in while all the offensive lineman have been questionable and his trade for TRich was a down right flop. We shall see soon enough who may be the problem. If only one of the two get extended, we have our answer. If both get resigned, this was Irsay in hard negotiations.

IMO....this conversation shifts from a "glass half-full" to a "glass half-empty" one starting THIS season. Contrary to the opinion that we should have already won a Super Bowl in the first 3 seasons off a rebuild...I'm pretty sure we all know how unrealistic that is.

And you can only "guru" or "half-time adjust" mediocre talent so much...they're still mediocre and exploitable by playoff caliber teams. And we've STILL made steady progress.

But with a franchise QB in Andrew Luck and some of the additional pieces added this off-season, as well as key departures from New England, I also don't think it is unreasonable to expect a Super Bowl appearance this year and/or next year.

For me, years 4 and 5 of Grigson and Pagano's tenure are the acid test of Grigson properly finishing off the roster and Pagano and staff coaching them against whoever we may face in an AFC playoff run.

For continuity's sake, I'd extend Grigson and Pagano out for 2 more seasons now....with generous, stepped options added should we reach and/or win the Super Bowl.

Uh...ya know....Chuck is a JAG.

Outstanding coach and his market value will go through the roof?

Are you serious?

And please don't quote me the team record and steadily advancing in the playoffs each year.

A lot of us think he's the beneficiary of a franchise QB in a very weak division.

Imo, he needs to improve to just be average. And I don't think there would be a major market for him should he become available.

With the division improving and speculation of some "real qb`s" possibly coming, we actually may see if he is a good coach or not.

If Chuck has a great year,  he's not going anywhere.

We'll offer him appropriate money and he'll stay in Indy, where's he's beloved by man and, oh by the way,  he has a franchise quarterback.

Jason Garrett played out his contract last year,  did well,  and earned a very big, sweet 5/30 contract with the Cowboys.

The same could happen for Pagano.....

Pagano is supposed to be a defensive guru but the defense has been mediocre at best. He is easily replaceable and will hardly have a market value through the roof. The only must sign is #12.

Perhaps you have a point, although I don't agree, with regards to in game coaching or adjustments. But with regards to these young men giving there all for a man who they respect and want to give it up for....I doubt there are even 3 coaches in the NFL today who can glean that level of "I'll go through a wall for you" respect. THAT is far from replaceable. In fact, I'll go as far as saying that he garnishes that respect more than any coach that has ran the Colts in Indy. 

Perhaps you have a point, although I don't agree, with regards to in game coaching or adjustments. But with regards to these young men giving there all for a man who they respect and want to give it up for....I doubt there are even 3 coaches in the NFL today who can glean that level of "I'll go through a wall for you" respect. THAT is far from replaceable. In fact, I'll go as far as saying that he garnishes that respect more than any coach that has ran the Colts in Indy.

So players love him? That should get them far......

I don't know about that "I'll go through a wall for you" mentality But they sure don't go through the Patriots offensive line.

Technically it isn`t Super Bowl or bust for THIS Season.
 But Pagano has to  make Irsay believe he has the Chops to get there soon, very soon.
 Irsay KNOWS he has the QB to get there. Does he have the coaching staff is the question.
 I certainly question the DC, OL coach, and OC. Much to prove this season.

You must be forgetting how bad this defense was before Pagano. Rome was not built in a day. Our defense is much further along than mediocre when properly compared. 

I agree Chuck would be a hot commodity.  The other side of that equation is he would be viewed as a guy who walked away from a team with this much potential, a team that most HC's would love to coach with a franchise QB.

It's all posturing on both sides and I am sure the comments will continue in this manner until a deal gets signed.

I doubt any front office would blame him for leaving. If we had faith in him then we should not have let him go into his final season without a deal. This situation could actually land him a very long-term deal somewhere else.

If he becomes fair game then he could get a better offer. I would not blame him for going if he feels it is the right move for him to make. 

Outstanding coach and his market value will go through the roof?

Are you serious?

And please don't quote me the team record and steadily advancing in the playoffs each year.

A lot of us think he's the beneficiary of a franchise QB in a very weak division.

Imo, he needs to improve to just be average. And I don't think there would be a major market for him should he become available.

With the division improving and speculation of some "real qb`s" possibly coming, we actually may see if he is a good coach or not.

So you are saying that the fact our team was 2-12 and had a horrible defense 3 years ago should not be part of the equation? Yeah, that is not going to happen.

what a ridiculously naive perspective.  I suppose during those years when the Pats' defense was sub-par, they should have gone ahead and fired Bellichick?