Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Maybe It Wasnt Jim Caldwells Fault?

bap1331

Maybe we just needed a defensive coordinator? or just a better backup? Honestly look at how Tebow turned his whole team around. or was it the coach for the Broncos? He was winless for 5-6 games until Tebow came in. I dont see the fans blaming the coach at all.

Just a thought. What do you think?

I still think Caldwell's a bad coach and other coaches would have gotten us a couple of wins with this team and talent. I think the real problem was the players being motivated and they didn't believe in themselves without PM. They believed in themselves and they won 2 straight against 2 good teams.

The players are playing REALLY hard for something or someone...either their own contracts, their pride, their teammates, their coach - something. There just seems to be a different aura to the team the last few weeks.

If they are playing for Caldwell, then what does that say about him?

Look what happened when they played hard for Dungy. :lombardi:

The players are playing REALLY hard for something or someone...either their own contracts, their pride, their teammates, their coach - something. There just seems to be a different aura to the team the last few weeks.

If they are playing for Caldwell, then what does that say about him?

Look what happened when they played hard for Dungy. :lombardi:

I think they are playing hard for Manning.

Something tells me that the players do not want the first pick.

Maybe we just needed a defensive coordinator? or just a better backup? Honestly look at how Tebow turned his whole team around. or was it the coach for the Broncos? He was winless for 5-6 games until Tebow came in. I dont see the fans blaming the coach at all.

Just a thought. What do you think?

Hahahahhahahahaha Hawhoeharharhar.....

Just like me, Caldwell isn't just bad this year. I gave him a chance when he took over and I have seen nothing from a coach that I like. He just seems like a yes man and I do not believe 100%, he has any control over this team. Even with Polian, Dungy had control.

You loose 13 games with basically the same personnell then you dig out 2 wins at the end of season. coaching is the same from day one. What changed? The last two opponents are crippled in the qb position. Orlovski is gaining confidense. The defensive scheme has changed somewhat. Bottom line is the players are tired of being chumps, and started performing in spite of thier coaching staff. Have you noticed Peyton talking with everyone exept the head coach? Caldwell has had as much to do with Peytons success as a QB than he has with this team.

I think it has to do more with playing on a even playing field then Caldwell's coaching. The Colts opponents the last 2 weeks have had injuries and back ups at the Qb position, which limited those offenses, making them more 1 dimensional. Our defense took advantage, allowing Orvlasky to score more than the opponent.

Our Colts did take advantage and won 2 in a row, I give the Colts credit. IMO Caldwell has shown some leadership but he's still painfully conservative(and so is Clyde).

Did our injury depleted Colts just win 2 in row in spite of the coaching staff?

I've never thought it was all his fault, but I do think it was partially his fault. I wouldn't take two victories at home against crippled and run-down division opponents too seriously. Most people felt like these two games would be our last chances to get wins anyways.

Still, watching what we did defensively and the insane playcalling for two months on offense, there's no doubt there's a coaching issue. Having a balanced roster and a great quarterback can maybe mask some of those issues, but that's no reason not to address them.

The defense is certainly playing MUCH better the past few weeks. I don't know if we can really determine what that should be attributed to, but I really enjoy what they are doing right now :D

On another note, it's been great to see how hard the Colts are playing these final games. No one can accuse them of tanking. Loved seeing the excitement on the field and on the sidelines from them!

What about the complete mismanagement at the end of the first half? It was pretty awful.

That's what I mean by painfully conservative. Also shows a lack of a killer instinct. The defense on the other hand is playing alittle aggressive.

Maybe Caldwell is only as aggressive as his coordinator?

You loose 13 games with basically the same personnell then you dig out 2 wins at the end of season. coaching is the same from day one. What changed? The last two opponents are crippled in the qb position. Orlovski is gaining confidense. The defensive scheme has changed somewhat. Bottom line is the players are tired of being chumps, and started performing in spite of thier coaching staff. Have you noticed Peyton talking with everyone exept the head coach? Caldwell has had as much to do with Peytons success as a QB than he has with this team.

Umm, coaching is not same. New defensive coordinator last three games. And it shows. Ask Lacey. He is no longer playing 5 to 8 yards off, for instance. Run blitzes are more frequent, roll outs are much better defended, etc,etc,etc.

What about the complete mismanagement at the end of the first half? It was pretty awful.

You are right. And that's on Caldwell

That's what I mean by painfully conservative. Also shows a lack of a killer instinct. The defense on the other hand is playing alittle aggressive.

Maybe Caldwell is only as aggressive as his coordinator?

You are right, and that is on Mike Murphy, LB coach & new Defensive Coordinator.

Caldwell's report card should be incomplete. Remember when an incomplete was worse than an F. He is what he is. When he does step out to make a move, its usually wrong, so he just stands there looking the way he does. Quiet strength or clueless, who knows? You know, if they gave me the coaching job, I would take it too. If someone offers you a ride in a F-16 you don't decline because your not a pilot. You go and toss up you lunch. He may have been a good positional coach, however, not a head coach in the NFL.

The question is, will the Polians hire a coach that is or has been successful and wants control in building the team his way with support from the front office?

Caldwell's report card should be incomplete. Remember when an incomplete was worse than an F. He is what he is. When he does step out to make a move, its usually wrong, so he just stands there looking the way he does. Quiet strength or clueless, who knows? You know, if they gave me the coaching job, I would take it too. If someone offers you a ride in a F-16 you don't decline because your not a pilot. You go and toss up you lunch. He may have been a good positional coach, however, not a head coach in the NFL.

The question is, will the Polians hire a coach that is or has been successful and wants control in building the team his way with support from the front office?

Quick answer. No This needs to be addressed by Irsay.

I think they are playing hard for Manning.

Something tells me that the players do not want the first pick.

Even if we end up as the 3rd pick after Vikings and Rams, not sure Rams and Vikings would go for Luck as they have Sam Bradford and Ponder. I could be wrong. We still might have Andrew Luck at 3rd if they pick RB III ahead of him. We really wouldnt know at this time.

As Irsay mentioned, Peyton is his priority and he will take if Andrew Luck is around. Believe me, if you ask Andrew Luck he will be happy to sit behind Peyton ( and he probably wont have a choice if he ends up being a Colts ).

Quick answer. No This needs to be addressed by Irsay.

Im not a Caldwell supporter but Irsay values continuity greatly. I can see the FO looking for a new coordinator or coordinators. Caldwell is just a game manager, he doesnt offer specific schemes or plays. I think he can be successful if he has good coordinators.

Im not a Caldwell supporter but Irsay values continuity greatly. I can see the FO looking for a new coordinator or coordinators. Caldwell is just a game manager, he doesnt offer specific schemes or plays. I think he can be successful if he has good coordinators.

Sorry about that, because as a game manager he is TERRIBLE.

It was never entirely Caldwell's fault. Two wins against struggling teams doesn't change that either way.

Exactly Caldwell just doesn't bring much to the table other than continuity. I don't think firing him will take away any positives from late season heroics.

Even if we end up as the 3rd pick after Vikings and Rams, not sure Rams and Vikings would go for Luck as they have Sam Bradford and Ponder. I could be wrong. We still might have Andrew Luck at 3rd if they pick RB III ahead of him. We really wouldnt know at this time.

As Irsay mentioned, Peyton is his priority and he will take if Andrew Luck is around. Believe me, if you ask Andrew Luck he will be happy to sit behind Peyton ( and he probably wont have a choice if he ends up being a Colts ).

It is likely that they would hold the pick hostage and force us, Miami, or Washington to mortgage the farm.

As an aside, if Luck is so good, why wouldn't the Rams or Vikings take him? Do they have other needs? Sure, but Luck is good enough to supplant Manning, surely he's better than Bradford or Ponder. Why be so sure they'd pass on him if he's a once in a lifetime player (even though he's drawing comparisons to Matt Ryan and Tony Romo)?

Is Caldwell's fault, all of sudden team turns it on? I guess they did that after reading he may be canned they if went 0 and 16- Players probablly did not want a strict task master coming in.

No its more about Colts playing other teams that have issues at QB because they had to play their backups. Basically the Colts had a chance to play on a level playing field. To BigO's credit, he played better than the other team's backups ,the rest of the team put him in the position to win and he sealed the deal.

The last two weeks have shown the positive that JC brings to the table: he appears to be excellent at motivating the players and keeping the locker room unified. This showed during last year's up and down injury riddled season as well.

That being said, this attribute isn't enough to outweigh the fact that he is terrible at in-game adjustments/ management and questionable at game planning.

But the players speak highly of him, an enjoy playing for him. Dare I say he even showed emotion on occasion last night. He quieted Garcon down in a hurry after one of the late drives where Dan missed him in the endzone.

I really liked that. I would take that anyday over a guy like Todd Haley who will yell back and make a scene.

Caldwell's not the best game decision coach I've ever seen nor is he a great X's and O's guy either, but I never got the feeling that the team quit on him this year. In a couple of games, some of the team did seem lose heart for short periods, but that may have been the result of the defense being tired and having to defend so many short fields. Our offense is and has been conservative this year and that was out of necessity. He finally has started to show some emotion and I think the team responded. Maybe he was previously trying too hard to be like Dungy. I think he'll be better going forward. Regardless of Manning's status next year, I hope the team sticks with the transition to a more run oriented offense and gains a reputation as a tough, physical team.

P.S. There's a kid named Murcilus who will be in the draft this year. Be kind of cool to have a defense with one guy named Murcilus and another named Angerer!! ;o)