Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Danny Shelton

I think Danny Shelton will have the biggest impact next season, of any player in this draft, I would love to see him wear the horseshoe. I know there is a very slim chance of this happening, but if he slides a little, I would love to see us do whatever it takes, to make him a Colt. The middle of our defense is our weakest spot and this guy dominates the middle in both the run and passing game. He is that rare talent that can collapse the pocket and bring the pressure up the middle and dominate the running game at the same time, Shelton is everything the Colts defense needs, he would be expensive, but if he slides a couple of spots I would do whatever it takes.  Here is to praying for a miracle.   "GO COLTS"

He has tons of potential.

Hard to see him getting past the Giants though, but anything is possible. Crazier things have happened. 

I have given Shelton to the Colts a lot of thought over the past few months, and the only way I can see us getting Shelton is if a lot of crazy things to happen early, and him falling to 15.

I believe that 15 is the key, because San Fran needs several picks, and i feel confident they will be willing to trade down.

Since the idea of trading with SF is being discussed I thought I'd do the math on how this could be done...

SF sits at 15....    their pick is worth 1050 points according to the value chart.

Indy's pick at 29 is worth 640 points.

To give SF the value of the 410 point difference we'd have to give them our 1 our 2 and our 3.

That's 420 points.    I'm sure SF would be happy to give us back a 7....    maybe even a 6....   but that's it.

Anyone soooooo in love with Danny Shelton that their willing to trade our 1/2/3 for one player?

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

Certainly not me.........

And for the record,   I really, really like Danny Shelton.   And would love for him to fall to the Colts.

But trade up for him?       Way, way, way too expensive....

Since the idea of trading with SF is being discussed I thought I'd do the math on how this could be done...

SF sits at 15....    their pick is worth 1050 points according to the value chart.

To give SF the value of the 410 point difference we'd have to give them our 1 our 2 and our 3.

That's 420 points.    I'm sure SF would be happy to give us back a 7....    maybe even a 6....   but that's it.

Anyone soooooo in love with Danny Shelton that their willing to trade our 1/2/3 for one player?

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

And for the record,   I really, really like Danny Shelton.   And would love for him to fall to the Colts.

I agree that it is a lot to give up, but we are talking about striking distance vs. as far as Shelton could fall. Although extreme, I feel this is our only possible option, and it's a pipe dream at best. 

For the record, I did the math on it too, and it doesn't look good for us getting up there. Although it is possible, I don't see us trading with Houston (division rival), and if Shelton makes it to the Chiefs then it is game over. 

I agree that it is a lot to give up, but we are talking about striking distance vs. as far as Shelton could fall. Although extreme, I feel this is our only possible option, and it's a pipe dream at best. 

For the record, I did the math on it too, and it doesn't look good for us getting up there. Although it is possible, I don't see us trading with Houston (division rival), and if Shelton makes it to the Chiefs then it is game over. 

The Chiefs have Poe, who is very good.     Another NT can't be a priority, they have too many other needs....

I'm not following your thinking here....

The Chiefs have Poe, who is very good.     Another NT can't be a priority, they have too many other needs....

I'm not following your thinking here....

Because I believe Shelton is quick enough to play DT in the 3-4 as well as strong enough play NT in a 3-4.

I love Danny Shelton also, and he would be a big piece of the puzzle for run stopping, but there lies the rub. Most think right now he is only a 2 down player. He may develop into a pass rusher, along the lines of Ngata, but right now everyone who I read has the same thought. Mayock thinks he may only play 40% of snaps. Lets say he plays 2/3 downs. A player like that should not go in the top 10. You need an every down player in the top 20. I have seen many drafts having him drop to 19 with Cleveland. I just don't believe he is worth the move up. I look at the kid from East Carolina, who Dusting thinks is a steal as a NT, and the Clemson NT, and I say those are more realistic.

My hope if for Malcomn Brown from Texas to drop.

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

The trade value chart is only a guideline though. If a team really wants to move down, and few teams want to move up, a better deal can be struck. As an example, the Eric Reid trade a couple of years ago where the 49ers moved up from pick #31 to #18. The 49ers gave up the 31st pick (600 points) and the 74th pick (220 points) for the 18th pick (900 points). 

I am not saying we could move up with just our first and second round picks, but if San Francisco is looking at rebuilding their linebacking corps, trading back with our #1 and #2 could possibly yield Eric Kendricks (1st), Denzel Perryman (2nd), and possibly a guard like AJ Cann (2nd).