Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jimmy Smith signs 4 yr$48 mil extension

PeterBowman

I guess you guys don't realize, but Jimmy Smith is really doggone good. He's certainly not a JAG. In fact, he's better right now than Vontae was prior to 2013. This is a fair market deal for him. The only questionable thing about it is that Smith finished last season on IR; if he had been healthy, the Ravens would have had an even better shot of beating the Pats in the playoffs. I'm eager to see the structure, but the total value and average is right in line. 

I guess you guys don't realize, but Jimmy Smith is really doggone good. He's certainly not a JAG. In fact, he's better right now than Vontae was prior to 2013. This is a fair market deal for him. The only questionable thing about it is that Smith finished last season on IR; if he had been healthy, the Ravens would have had an even better shot of beating the Pats in the playoffs. I'm eager to see the structure, but the total value and average is right in line. 

oh I agree, he's very good and B-more probably would have beaten NE last year had he played

You are going to have pay Vontae more sooner or later probably sooner if he puts up another season similar to last year ...

By the time Vontae is ready for a new deal it will be time to move on from him more than likely. Let someone else pay his mega deal. Hopefully we will have drafted well and developed his replacement. I do think we invested wisely in him but it isn't like Jimmy is a slouch...guy was really good in Baltimore until his injury. All contracts are going up do to inflation in the market due to the CAP. I was surprised the Patriots didn't try to do more to keep Revis in NE. I know they have others to lock up but with the cap steadily raising and the hard time they've had getting corners I would rather pay for a great one and piece together the DL than the other way around. After they had him in the building and seeing what he was capable of on that team I don't know why they didnt try to extend him before the season was over. I know they get a high valued compensatory pick but if they could get 2 more years out of him with Tom there....thats almost two more AFC title appearances locked up at a minimum because of how good they could be with him on that defense and how good Tom runs that offense.

By the time Vontae is ready for a new deal it will be time to move on from him more than likely. Let someone else pay his mega deal. Hopefully we will have drafted well and developed his replacement. I do think we invested wisely in him but it isn't like Jimmy is a slouch...guy was really good in Baltimore until his injury. All contracts are going up do to inflation in the market due to the CAP. I was surprised the Patriots didn't try to do more to keep Revis in NE. I know they have others to lock up but with the cap steadily raising and the hard time they've had getting corners I would rather pay for a great one and piece together the DL than the other way around. After they had him in the building and seeing what he was capable of on that team I don't know why they didnt try to extend him before the season was over. I know they get a high valued compensatory pick but if they could get 2 more years out of him with Tom there....thats almost two more AFC title appearances locked up at a minimum because of how good they could be with him on that defense and how good Tom runs that offense.

What?!  He's 26 years old, is on a four year deal, and you are thinking about moving on from him already?  He's the best defensive player on the team by a huge margin and one of the best at his position.

And then you would rather the team got a "great one" in FA?  

What?! He's 26 years old, is on a four year deal, and you are thinking about moving on from him already? He's the best defensive player on the team by a huge margin and one of the best at his position.

And then you would rather the team got a "great one" in FA?

what I'm saying is if he is 30 and ready for a mega deal I would rather be ready to transition to a new younger guy that we would draft hopefully and develop. Let another team pay his mega contract deal when he will be ready to start declining in his 30s. Nothing wrong with him now and for the next few years but corners in their 30s typically start to decline. So I won't say I won't want him then but honestly do you want to pay a guy 10-12 million a year to play corner to his mid 30s. Not me. Who I was talking about paying was if I was NE... Paying for revis for a couple years because their window with brady is closing and revis is still at his prime....but I understand why they didn't do the jets deal because he will be declining when he hits the second half of that mega deal. I'll cross the vontae bridge when he is up but we should be looking to draft corner talent the next few years to replace toler and later Davis down the road.

I think you will be paying for Vontae for a long time to come. It would be foolish to move on from him after this current deal is up. And not sure how you can say the Pats should have done more to retain Revis and then say the Colts should move on from Vontae when his contract is up at which time he will be the same age Reivs is right now. lol.

In terms of Revis staying with the Pats, once the Jets entered the game for him and were willing to pay him that mega salary, the Pats were out. I do think the Pats were trying to get a deal done with Revis after the SB but he was smart to force them to either pick up his $20 mil option or the hit market. I do wish they did pick up the option as some of the scuttle here has been that Bill thinks Revis only has one more elite year left and if that was the case then I do wish they paid him the $20 for this season but that would have severely hampered their FA moves and draft so in the end, I get it even though I still wanted him to remain with the team.

what I'm saying is if he is 30 and ready for a mega deal I would rather be ready to transition to a new younger guy that we would draft hopefully and develop. Let another team pay his mega contract deal when he will be ready to start declining in his 30s. Nothing wrong with him now and for the next few years but corners in their 30s typically start to decline. So I won't say I won't want him then but honestly do you want to pay a guy 10-12 million a year to play corner to his mid 30s. Not me. Who I was talking about paying was if I was NE... Paying for revis for a couple years because their window with brady is closing and revis is still at his prime....but I understand why they didn't do the jets deal because he will be declining when he hits the second half of that mega deal. I'll cross the vontae bridge when he is up but we should be looking to draft corner talent the next few years to replace toler and later Davis down the road.

Revis is one year younger than Davis will be when his contract is up. If Davis keeps playing like he has, they'll renew his contract when he's 29 and deserve every penny of a nice deal for him. The Colts got a great deal for him.

Great comments. Jimmy was having his best season when he went down with an injury. He also made the key play against Crabtree in the Super Bowl. They also restructured with Webb. The key is whether these two can stay healthy.

They still need more depth based on what happened last year. Wish we had Vontae also. Very good CB at a great price.

Revis is one year younger than Davis will be when his contract is up. If Davis keeps playing like he has, they'll renew his contract when he's 29 and deserve every penny of a nice deal for him. The Colts got a great deal for him.

we did but that doesn't mean we have to pay the future vontae.vontae isn't revis and isn't close. He had a great year but he hasn't had the longevity. Maybe if he does we entertain an offer down the road but that doesn't we have to pay a huge mega deal for what a guy was and not what he will be during that entire contract. Corners have a short shelf life at that elite level...there are some HOF guys who played into their 30s at an elite level but I'd wouldn't expect to get the 26 yr old vontae when he is 31-32 and yet pay him twice the amount of the 26 vontae is all I'm saying.

I think you will be paying for Vontae for a long time to come. It would be foolish to move on from him after this current deal is up. And not sure how you can say the Pats should have done more to retain Revis and then say the Colts should move on from Vontae when his contract is up at which time he will be the same age Reivs is right now. lol.

In terms of Revis staying with the Pats, once the Jets entered the game for him and were willing to pay him that mega salary, the Pats were out. I do think the Pats were trying to get a deal done with Revis after the SB but he was smart to force them to either pick up his $20 mil option or the hit market. I do wish they did pick up the option as some of the scuttle here has been that Bill thinks Revis only has one more elite year left and if that was the case then I do wish they paid him the $20 for this season but that would have severely hampered their FA moves and draft so in the end, I get it even though I still wanted him to remain with the team.

yeah I know...I agree...I just would have tried to figure something out to keep him there for a couple years. Great it worked out but they have a small window for Tom and I would have wanted to max out that time. Whether that was the original contract was set up or negotiating something before he hit the free market but yeah once he did...jets were always going to outbid the pats. It's just a different situation than what we will be in with vontae when he is a free agent...luck will be in his prime for a number years coming and we don't want to hamstring our cap by overpaying for guys that will be ready to hit the down side of their career and not the upside.

yeah I know...I agree...I just would have tried to figure something out to keep him there for a couple years. Great it worked out but they have a small window for Tom and I would have wanted to max out that time. Whether that was the original contract was set up or negotiating something before he hit the free market but yeah once he did...jets were always going to outbid the pats. It's just a different situation than what we will be in with vontae when he is a free agent...luck will be in his prime for a number years coming and we don't want to hamstring our cap by overpaying for guys that will be ready to hit the down side of their career and not the upside.

I think the Pats did a lot to get him by paying the 12 mil guaranteed but that second year option at $20 was protection for Revis to ensure he hit the market again. It is hard to be too upset over it given we won the Super Bowl with him but I also think it is easy to look at him and think he was the difference maker in winning the ring. For sure he was a key contributor vs the pass but the growth of Jamie Collins and his play was as key as Revis especially with Mayo going down. And then on offense it seems as though LaFell is always forgotten but he was a great addition on the outside who brought a physical presence to go along with Gronk and Edelman. In the SB, the Pats offense was more physical than the Seahawks knocking out two Seattle players during the game. Also the offensive line, in particular Stork at center was huge all season.

I also think in terms of the post-season, Brady was on a mission. If ever there was a QB that carried his team to the ring, it was him with his two 14 point comebacks vs the Ravens which was Revis' worst game of the season by the way, and then Brady's 10 point comeback in the Super Bowl vs the best defense in the league. So, really everything fell into place last year with many big time contributors. Still, I would rather have Revis back for sure but I believe this is still the team to beat in the AFC until proven otherwise. We will see how it all pans out.

I think it was Dustin who had posted a thread awhile back that said their were no starting CBs over age 29 on any team. Of course Revis will turn 30 in June but it is interesting stat given how athletic the position is. You may be right about Vontae when he hits 30 but many do still play well into their 30s. But I am glad that Pats did not give Revis the contract that the Jets did. That is just too much for any one player IMO.

I think the Pats did a lot to get him by paying the 12 mil guaranteed but that second year option at $20 was protection for Revis to ensure he hit the market again. It is hard to be too upset over it given we won the Super Bowl with him but I also think it is easy to look at him and think he was the difference maker in winning the ring. For sure he was a key contributor vs the pass but the growth of Jamie Collins and his play was as key as Revis especially with Mayo going down. And then on offense it seems as though LaFell is always forgotten but he was a great addition on the outside who brought a physical presence to go along with Gronk and Edelman. In the SB, the Pats offense was more physical than the Seahawks knocking out two Seattle players during the game. Also the offensive line, in particular Stork at center was huge all season.

I also think in terms of the post-season, Brady was on a mission. If ever there was a QB that carried his team to the ring, it was him with his two 14 point comebacks vs the Ravens which was Revis' worst game of the season by the way, and then Brady's 10 point comeback in the Super Bowl vs the best defense in the league. So, really everything fell into place last year with many big time contributors. Still, I would rather have Revis back for sure but I believe this is still the team to beat in the AFC until proven otherwise. We will see how it all pans out.

I think it was Dustin who had posted a thread awhile back that said their were no starting CBs over age 29 on any team. Of course Revis will turn 30 in June but it is interesting stat given how athletic the position is. You may be right about Vontae when he hits 30 but many do still play well into their 30s. But I am glad that Pats did not give Revis the contract that the Jets did. That is just too much for any one player IMO.

I think it was like 32 but yes I get your point. I'm not afraid of Vontae at 29-30...but the 3 years after that when your still paying elite money...thats where it gets dicey. Vontae had a great year last year...I'm hoping for a couple more seasons like that...but honestly I'm not sure he will be able to constistantly play at that level for years to come. I'm super happy right now...but that next contract will be a tough one...a lot depends on how he is playing and what the going rate would be but I'm not opposed to letting a big money guy walk when their entering the later part of their career.

I still think Revis was the missing piece of your guys puzzle. Add a healthy Gronk and you guys became legitly the team to beat. What Revis allowed that defense to do...roll coverage to the other side...run different fronts....get away with less than elite pass rush...it means a TON. Granted the offense was so good the defense didn't need to be elite but Revis I do think put it over the top. With him gone it is still good...but it has vulnerabilities it didn't have before...and it will come down to a team exploiting them. Time will tell. I still think as long as your OL holds up as it has...and you have a healthy Gronk...Tom will put you in position to win 90% of your games.

I think it was like 32 but yes I get your point. I'm not afraid of Vontae at 29-30...but the 3 years after that when your still paying elite money...thats where it gets dicey. Vontae had a great year last year...I'm hoping for a couple more seasons like that...but honestly I'm not sure he will be able to constistantly play at that level for years to come. I'm super happy right now...but that next contract will be a tough one...a lot depends on how he is playing and what the going rate would be but I'm not opposed to letting a big money guy walk when their entering the later part of their career.

I still think Revis was the missing piece of your guys puzzle. Add a healthy Gronk and you guys became legitly the team to beat. What Revis allowed that defense to do...roll coverage to the other side...run different fronts....get away with less than elite pass rush...it means a TON. Granted the offense was so good the defense didn't need to be elite but Revis I do think put it over the top. With him gone it is still good...but it has vulnerabilities it didn't have before...and it will come down to a team exploiting them. Time will tell. I still think as long as your OL holds up as it has...and you have a healthy Gronk...Tom will put you in position to win 90% of your games.

What I am hoping Bill does is not go away from press/man-to-man coverage completely. He has brought in a lot of CBs to compete for the position with the current guys that are already on the team. It would seem to me that Butler can play man given his ball skills and also the CB from Philly as well even though he had a rough year last year. I really felt like what made the Pats so formidable was the man coverage although they did mix it up quite a bit too. Right now they have gotten younger on defense as Bill has signed young guys up front and in the secondary so I am hopeful that he finds some starters in there as well as in the draft. I do think a player like Revis helped Bill open up the play book which he enjoyed so the key is finding players that can still give him options and that type of versatility. The more I think about it, the more I am really happy they resigned McCourty. They will need his skills and leadership back there big time.

What I am hoping Bill does is not go away from press/man-to-man coverage completely. He has brought in a lot of CBs to compete for the position with the current guys that are already on the team. It would seem to me that Butler can play man given his ball skills and also the CB from Philly as well even though he had a rough year last year. I really felt like what made the Pats so formidable was the man coverage although they did mix it up quite a bit too. Right now they have gotten younger on defense as Bill has signed young guys up front and in the secondary so I am hopeful that he finds some starters in there as well as in the draft. I do think a player like Revis helped Bill open up the play book which he enjoyed so the key is finding players that can still give him options and that type of versatility. The more I think about it, the more I am really happy they resigned McCourty. They will need his skills and leadership back there big time.

They are definately young and there might be some good young players but I think the learning curve is going to be a little steeper than you think. If Bill can generate a better pass rush than perhaps that will help...but there were times when you guys weren't getting any rush at all and without Revis and McCourtey and Browner covering like they were..you guys would have been exposed. Its going to take more scheming, better rush, and people stepping up to get it done. I think you can...but its going to take time this year...and per usual you guys will probably peak late. Fortunately even though you guys face some very very tough defenses within that division...you don't have offenses or quarterbacks within it that will test that pass defense to much. I still think you guys are the class of the conference...and while the defense may take a step back...it won't be too far.

They are definately young and there might be some good young players but I think the learning curve is going to be a little steeper than you think. If Bill can generate a better pass rush than perhaps that will help...but there were times when you guys weren't getting any rush at all and without Revis and McCourtey and Browner covering like they were..you guys would have been exposed. Its going to take more scheming, better rush, and people stepping up to get it done. I think you can...but its going to take time this year...and per usual you guys will probably peak late. Fortunately even though you guys face some very very tough defenses within that division...you don't have offenses or quarterbacks within it that will test that pass defense to much. I still think you guys are the class of the conference...and while the defense may take a step back...it won't be too far.

I think the approach this off-season has been different for the reasons you outlined. They have beefed up the front 7 in an effort to get more pressure. That being said, the Pats defense ranked 13th in terms of pass rush last year based on sacks with 40. Unlike pervious seasons they were able to generate consistent pressure for sacks, hurries and hits but they will need to improve this year IMO into the top 10 given the secondary. I also think that if the offense can be as dynamic as it was last year than it will force our opponents to be one dimensional and as you noted, we are not facing the same caliber of QBs/offenses as last year so that should help our pass coverage as well. BTW, the Pats have then 22nd easiest strength of schedule.

I think the approach this off-season has been different for the reasons you outlined. They have beefed up the front 7 in an effort to get more pressure. That being said, the Pats defense ranked 13th in terms of pass rush last year based on sacks with 40. Unlike pervious seasons they were able to generate consistent pressure for sacks, hurries and hits but they will need to improve this year IMO into the top 10 given the secondary. I also think that if the offense can be as dynamic as it was last year than it will force our opponents to be one dimensional and as you noted, we are not facing the same caliber of QBs/offenses as last year so that should help our pass coverage as well. BTW, the Pats have then 22nd easiest strength of schedule.

I agree with some of that. I do think you give your front 7 a little too much credit...there was quite a few coverage sacks in that mix which may or not be the same but I do agree you have some developing guys on that front. I still think you guys are the class of the division. Not quite as strong as last year....running game questions, secondary questions, lb questions, but overall...you still have one of the best offenses in the AFC....best qb in the AFC..and best coach in the league. I think you start slow...have a couple stumbles but continue to improve and as long as Gronk or Brady don't go down you still end up with the #1 seed.