Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

P. Manning VS Luck

superrep1967

:deadhorse: I don't know why we have to keep doing this, instead of being appreciative of both.

Agreed. Peyton is my favorite modern day player but I will say Andrew has outplayed just about every qb ever during their first 3 years. That said there are many many differences....league rules for one making it easier on offenses, rules that protect qbs, and Andrew is a better athlete so that also has helped him early on. Manning while still a very good athlete has always been mentally ahead of the game...but that was something that took time to develop. I don't want to take anything away from Andrew. The real question will be 15yrs down the road. Luck is right now on a path that could take his career up and away statisticly above any that has come before. Will he achieve that we just don't know but it is a bright future.

One thing to be careful of is the fact that using Lucks post-season success is a double edged sword...to say he is superior to Manning because of the playoff success he has enjoyed would also be said that Russell Wilson is superior to Luck because he has been to the playoffs and won more games and a SB. So just be careful of making that arguement.

All in all I am excited that having had my favorite player of this generation play for over a decade on my favorite team. Watching how he ran the offense...audibled...and made plays outsmarting the defense etc etc was a great joy. It would seem that I may get another chance to witness another special player now too and thats awesome. Even if they play the game differently doesn't make me appreciate one more or less. Regardless of how many championships more or less one wins I hope to have a place for them in my sports heart for a long time!

Peyton's outta Luck in this particular debate. First 3 years comparison it's Luck due to his superior post season resume.

That said...Peyton has done it over the long haul though, Luck still has a lot to accomplish before a real comparison between the two can even be entertained.

This is Peyton by a country mile. He should have won league MVP in 2012 coming off the neck surgeries if not for APs historic season and then he put up the best season ever by any QB in 2013. Slight edge to Luck last year but overall, it is Peyton the last three years easily.

This is Peyton by a country mile. He should have won league MVP in 2012 coming off the neck surgeries if not for APs historic season and then he put up the best season ever by any QB in 2013. Slight edge to Luck last year but overall, it is Peyton the last three years easily.

He's talking about through their first 3 years in the NFL not the past 3 years

He's talking about through their first 3 years in the NFL not the past 3 years

Oh. That seems like apples to oranges to me given how much the league has changed in terms of rules and also the development of the college game. I think what Manning did early on back then was much more impressive because very few young Qbs were given the reigns to lead their teams and expected to win. Remember Aikman at 1-15? And Favre early on too. Manning from the get go was in complete command even though he struggled a lot his first season. He broke the mold IMO on how teams see rookie QBs and it was him may be more so than anyone that put the expectations Luck has on his back.