Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric weddle feels disrespected by chargers

bap1331

There is so much upheaval on our team right now - the more I hear, the more I think the Chargers already know it's likely they're moving to LA... I can't tell you how sad all this is making me.

The fact that they won't talk to the other guys about their contracts yet, fuels the speculation that Rivers may be forcing their hand to trade him.  I'm dreading draft day instead of looking forward to it.

I keep repeating to myself "It's only a game... it's only a game..."

There is so much upheaval on our team right now - the more I hear, the more I think the Chargers already know it's likely they're moving to LA... I can't tell you how sad all this is making me.

The fact that they won't talk to the other guys about their contracts yet, fuels the speculation that Rivers may be forcing their hand to trade him.  I'm dreading draft day instead of looking forward to it.

I think its the offseason and a lot of stories are being written off of basically speculation. There is a lot that would have to happen for the Chargers to move and for those favorite players to be moved. I wouldn't get too caught up in the day to day news. Truth will come out and when it does then you can make a decision on how you feel....otherwise worrying won't do much good. 

I do know that dgambill - and I'm not at all a worrier... and I'm careful about what I say.  

I am becoming more convinced that this may be a certainty.  You have to understand the character of the players that are saying these things.  These are exemplary men.  Leaders.  They have been the glue the team has been held together with.  Weddle is ANYTHING but a cry baby or emotionally extreme person.  For him to say what he said yesterday is a big deal.  I would so  LOVE TO BE WRONG!  

Whether the team is in San Diego or not I will still be a supporter and I don't live in the city any more so it won't affect me, but it will affect a lot of my friends and fellow fans.

The city has brought this on themselves.  They've had 14 years notice.  The Chargers have been more than patient.  But a decision has to be made.  It's poisoning the fans against the team and it may be time for them to make a clean start.  If the older players won't go along with that move it may be time to build for the future.

I do believe that Tom Telesco and the management will not let Rivers get away with no compensation.  They would keep him for the rest of his career - but there are two sides to that coin.  If Rivers will not play on the franchise tag and will retire (I would not at all rule that out) they will have lost their future.  They are between a rock and a hard spot and may have to make a move they did not plan for. 

He's asking for an extension, not necessarily a raise.

You're exactly right, in fact, he's offered to restructure.  He most certainly wants to retire a Charger and wants to have a shot at winning the SB with them.  He wants the best team around him that's possible.

I believe the reason the Chargers haven't been willing to talk to the guys that need to be extended is they have to deal with what happens with Rivers first.  Then give those guys the opportunity to willingly stay or go.  I just don't see Telesco as a guy who would shaft quality guys or sign them knowing something he can't tell them.  This is about the potential move and Rivers' situation.

You're exactly right, in fact, he's offered to restructure.  He most certainly wants to retire a Charger and wants to have a shot at winning the SB with them.  He wants the best team around him that's possible.

I believe the reason the Chargers haven't been willing to talk to the guys that need to be extended is they have to deal with what happens with Rivers first.  Then give those guys the opportunity to willingly stay or go.  I just don't see Telesco as a guy who would shaft quality guys or sign them knowing something he can't tell them.  This is about the potential move and Rivers' situation.

Sometimes when sports teams shy away from committing future money, especially to star players, they are contemplating a sale of the franchise. You keep future liabilities low, and it makes it easier to attract a buyer. Or in this case, a potential swap. 

I'm just thinking out loud, but if there's been any kind of whispers about the Chargers and Rams swapping ownership, then the Spanos' don't have to deal with bitter Chargers fans after moving the team, and instead inherit a fan base in St. Louis that is grateful to them for allowing them to keep their team. Kroenke takes the Chargers, still moves them to LA, but has no ties to San Diego and doesn't have to deal with the hatred (which would mostly still be directed at the Spanos' family and Mark Fabiani). And then the Raiders can join the Rams in Inglewood, or whatever.

Still sucks for San Diego area Chargers fans -- sorry. But I get the feeling everything is on the table, and the more likely it becomes that someone moves to LA, the more likely it is that the Chargers leave.

In 2016, the Chargers only have $73m committed in cash, most of it non-guaranteed salaries. That is a very fluid situation, and allows for a very mobile ownership and franchise. 

Sometimes when sports teams shy away from committing future money, especially to star players, they are contemplating a sale of the franchise. You keep future liabilities low, and it makes it easier to attract a buyer. Or in this case, a potential swap. 

I'm just thinking out loud, but if there's been any kind of whispers about the Chargers and Rams swapping ownership, then the Spanos' don't have to deal with bitter Chargers fans after moving the team, and instead inherit a fan base in St. Louis that is grateful to them for allowing them to keep their team. Kroenke takes the Chargers, still moves them to LA, but has no ties to San Diego and doesn't have to deal with the hatred (which would mostly still be directed at the Spanos' family and Mark Fabiani). And then the Raiders can join the Rams in Inglewood, or whatever.

Still sucks for San Diego area Chargers fans -- sorry. But I get the feeling everything is on the table, and the more likely it becomes that someone moves to LA, the more likely it is that the Chargers leave.

In 2016, the Chargers only have $73m committed in cash, most of it non-guaranteed salaries. That is a very fluid situation, and allows for a very mobile ownership and franchise. 

Had not even thought about or heard anyone else talk about this.  You may have a point...

That is weird, Weddle seems like a nose to the grindstone type of guy. A guy that doesn't say much just works his craft. The Chargers must of really did something to get him to feel the way that he does as this really surprises me. It also sounds like San Diego is heading to a dark place at least with all this speculation it does. I highly doubt all this speculation comes to be anything but rumors, but something has to be happening down there and sounds like the veteran leaders (Rivers and Weddle) don't want any part of it.

The fact that they won't talk to the other guys about their contracts yet, fuels the speculation that Rivers may be forcing their hand to trade him. I'm dreading draft day instead of looking forward to it.

La is only 2 hours away lol. Hey atleast when the colts come they are less than an hour away from me...

May I copy your post on to the SD message board and ask what people think of your suppositions?  I didn't want to do it without your permission.  Thanks either way  :thmup:

Here's the link to the post if you want to follow it: 

I removed the link because we don't allow links to other forums.

But I did check the thread out. Let the one guy know that I have nothing against the Chargers, and I'm from SoCal and know a lot of Chargers fans. I think they should stay in San Diego, but I don't think it's viable.

One point that was made is that the Spanos' would want to move to LA and gain equity for a few years before they sell. But I don't think a short term cash cut is really relevant if that's the case.

Again, I'm just spitballing. 

Sorry, I'm sure I knew at some point no links to forums were allowed but completely forgot.  The "gentlemen" that attacked you is one of the reasons I like hanging around here.  Other than the obligatory, "Who is the better QB Peyton or Brady" endless discussions most of our interactions are good solid football and not so much trash talk :-)

I almost answered him back "Some people could make the point we USED to 'own' Peyton until he got to Denver - not so much anymore!"  I've personally never thought that.  Every game with the Colts has been hard fought.

Sorry, I'm sure I knew at some point no links to forums were allowed but completely forgot.  The "gentlemen" that attacked you is one of the reasons I like hanging around here.  Other than the obligatory, "Who is the better QB Peyton or Brady" endless discussions most of our interactions are good solid football and not so much trash talk :-)

I almost answered him back "Some people could make the point we USED to 'own' Peyton until he got to Denver - not so much anymore!"  I've personally never thought that.  Every game with the Colts has been hard fought.

No worries. And yeah, I figured on the one guy. 

I do know that dgambill - and I'm not at all a worrier... and I'm careful about what I say.  

I am becoming more convinced that this may be a certainty.  You have to understand the character of the players that are saying these things.  These are exemplary men.  Leaders.  They have been the glue the team has been held together with.  Weddle is ANYTHING but a cry baby or emotionally extreme person.  For him to say what he said yesterday is a big deal.  I would so  LOVE TO BE WRONG!  

Whether the team is in San Diego or not I will still be a supporter and I don't live in the city any more so it won't affect me, but it will affect a lot of my friends and fellow fans.

The city has brought this on themselves.  They've had 14 years notice.  The Chargers have been more than patient.  But a decision has to be made.  It's poisoning the fans against the team and it may be time for them to make a clean start.  If the older players won't go along with that move it may be time to build for the future.

I do believe that Tom Telesco and the management will not let Rivers get away with no compensation.  They would keep him for the rest of his career - but there are two sides to that coin.  If Rivers will not play on the franchise tag and will retire (I would not at all rule that out) they will have lost their future.  They are between a rock and a hard spot and may have to make a move they did not plan for.

Nice post, Girlzarefanstoo! Believe it or not, I do feel sorrowful for you and the fans of San Diego if all of this plays out as suggested.