Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Henry Anderson equals Derek Wolfe

Henry Anderson has been plenty popular around here in mock drafts.  Some even taking him as early as 61, though most in the third or  fourth.  

Some player similarities to Derek Wolfe but even moreso, a similar draft scenario will likely play out.  

In 2012, the Bronchos grab Wolfe to be their strongside DE early in the second at 36, far in excess of his draft projection by most.  He had production and a great motor, but limited talent.  As such, he was projected by most in the 3rd - 5th rounds.

Anderson tests even better than Wolfe, looks far more athletic when you watch him play, and has great production.  In the little bit I watched of him (I'm not the film hound many of you are), he has a relentless forward motion into the backfield.  He looks exactly like what we'd want from our 5 tech.

The league proves every year that they aren't afraid to rightly value players for their system, and Anderson looks like he will be rightly valued as an early to mid second when teams actually start to vote with their picks, not the 3rd round or later pick that most would suggest.  

He is a good enough piece of the puzzle that I'd be just fine with trading up in the second to get him if we don't go DL in the first.  I'm sure that will feel like overspending to all of you that think he'll still be there in the third or fourth, but you gotta get productive players when you can.  I think he'd last until the middle of the second.....

As the Stanford guy I don't think Henry Anderson will ever be worth a 2nd round pick.

He's simply not anything enough.

I'd be fine spending a 3 on him.   I'd be even happier spending a 4 on him, but that's not going to get the job done.

But the only way I'd trade up in the 3rd to get him is if I could do it with an extra pick.    I wouldn't go down a pick to move up for him.    I don't think he's worth it.

Henry is good.    He's solid.    He works hard and well within the system.   He's an asset.   But I don't think any team will ever get 2nd round value out of him.    He's not that much of a play maker.

As the Stanford guy I don't think Henry Anderson will ever be worth a 2nd round pick.

He's simply not anything enough.

I'd be fine spending a 3 on him.   I'd be even happier spending a 4 on him, but that's not going to get the job done.

But the only way I'd trade up in the 3rd to get him is if I could do it with an extra pick.    I wouldn't go down a pick to move up for him.    I don't think he's worth it.

Henry is good.    He's solid.    He works hard and well within the system.   He's an asset.   But I don't think any team will ever get 2nd round value out of him.    He's not that much of a play maker.

This is why I refer to the Derek Wolfe comparison.  You could say all the same things in 2012 about Derek Wolfe before he was drafted at 36.

I know that perceived draft value is a high priority to you, as it should be, but when I looked at Anderson's actual production along with play disruption that isn't measurable statistically and his grasp of technique that most never learn combined with his very solid combine measurables and I believe his actual value will be higher than the perceived value you are assigning.

Furthermore, just as a prophet has no honor in his hometown, so do we over scrutinize the role players from our favorite team....or at least I do.  This is, at least in part, because their shortcomings are associated with the failures of the team during their tenure.

Only bad thing I have to say about Anderson is that he winds up on the ground too often, especially away from the play. I think it's an issue of balance, not just strength. To start off, he'd be a passing down sub, but he could eventually become a starting DL. 

Ideally, he'd be a third rounder. Or maybe a guy you sneak back into the early 4th for. Not really a second rounder, especially high in the second. 

This is why I refer to the Derek Wolfe comparison.  You could say all the same things in 2012 about Derek Wolfe before he was drafted at 36.

I know that perceived draft value is a high priority to you, as it should be, but when I looked at Anderson's actual production along with play disruption that isn't measurable statistically and his grasp of technique that most never learn combined with his very solid combine measurables and I believe his actual value will be higher than the perceived value you are assigning.

Furthermore, just as a prophet has no honor in his hometown, so do we over scrutinize the role players from our favorite team....or at least I do.  This is, at least in part, because their shortcomings are associated with the failures of the team during their tenure.

The thing about Anderson is that much of his production came from effort -- a quality I love -- but one that doesn't always translate into results at the NFL level where you're going against great talent week in and week out.

I don't see Anderson putting up the kind of numbers in the NFL that he put up at Stanford.   

Don't get me wrong:   I love Henry.   He's someone I hope the Colts get,  I really do.    I just HATE overdrafting someone,  even a Stanford guy.

I have slightly lower grades on most of my Stanford guys than I'm reading around the web.   The one guy who I really like is Peat, which to me is ironic because he's not liked much by most here.   At least,  that's the sense I get....

The thing about Anderson is that much of his production came from effort -- a quality I love -- but one that doesn't always translate into results at the NFL level where you're going against great talent week in and week out.

I don't see Anderson putting up the kind of numbers in the NFL that he put up at Stanford.   

Don't get me wrong:   I love Henry.   He's someone I hope the Colts get,  I really do.    I just HATE overdrafting someone,  even a Stanford guy.

I have slightly lower grades on most of my Stanford guys than I'm reading around the web.   The one guy who I really like is Peat, which to me is ironic because he's not liked much by most here.   At least,  that's the sense I get....

To the bolded, I get that.  Guys like Anderson are often overlooked for the reasons you suggest, and it could very well be that his draft market is 3rd round and lower.  However, the time he consistently spends in the backfield looks to be related to his length, subtle movement skills, and technique - all of which are arguably talent to go with his considerable effort.  History also shows that effort is itself a talent, but we all now that doesn't get you on an NFL roster and your foundation is solid in that regard.

What I haven't heard you address yet is the comparison to Derek Wolfe (and, I suppose, a zillion other examples in every draft) as a supportive case for why the league may value Anderson higher than we do.

To the bolded, I get that.  Guys like Anderson are often overlooked for the reasons you suggest, and it could very well be that his draft market is 3rd round and lower.  However, the time he consistently spends in the backfield looks to be related to his length, subtle movement skills, and technique - all of which are arguably talent to go with his considerable effort.  History also shows that effort is itself a talent, but we all now that doesn't get you on an NFL roster and your foundation is solid in that regard.

What I haven't heard you address yet is the comparison to Derek Wolfe (and, I suppose, a zillion other examples in every draft) as a supportive case for why the league may value Anderson higher than we do.

The only reason I haven't compared him to Wolfe is because I don't know Wolfe well enough.

I wasn't following the draft closely for a number of years.   I've been following it very closely since I became a Colts fan.   Now, it means everything to me.  I used to follow it very heavily when I was a member of the media.

For whatever it's worth,  ESPN's Scouts Inc had Wolfe with a solid 2nd round grade.   But NFL.com had him with a much, much lower grade, which surprised me.     I do remember reading that Wolfe was a very late, very fast riser on draft boards.   There are those kind of guys every year.    It's come to my attention that Demarious Randall is one such guy this year!         :thmup:

Strength can be gained.

After all these years you continue to see all prospects as what they are,   and not what they can be.

Of course it can and it probably will be gained, Seeing what he is a good thing. Anderson becoming more then what I see would be great, I like him for what he is...A rotational 3 tech, I think there will be better players available but I wouldn't mind if we drafted him depending on whos on the board at the time...But again he is a 3 tech...That's what he is.....Anything more then that is a projection of what more he may turn into and that's a What If game

I haven't seen the 2013 Oregon game, but I did watch the 2014 Oregon game. And USC and UCLA. He's super disruptive in every game. He's just on the ground so much...

Chase Thomas had the same problem. Stanford coaches their defensive lineman not to "step heavy" which sacrifices balance and base for quickness. That's why they are always falling over. 

Chase Thomas had the same problem. Stanford coaches their defensive lineman not to "step heavy" which sacrifices balance and base for quickness. That's why they are always falling over. 

That explains that, but if he plays with a better base, how much of the quickness and disruptiveness goes away?

That explains that, but if he plays with a better base, how much of the quickness and disruptiveness goes away?

Shouldn't be any that goes away if he anticipates snap counts well, reads formations and game situations well I think

Man, I got Anderson with a much higher grade than people here lol. I hope he reaches our 2nd round pick.

I hope you're right. I'd rather have Anderson rise and Carl Davis fall. Davis is one of the most complete players in this draft.

I like Anderson in round 3-4, but if you're talking round 2 gimme Davis all day.

Man, I got Anderson with a much higher grade than people here lol. I hope he reaches our 2nd round pick.

Josh Norris ranked him 11th overall on his board. I don't go that high, but this 3rd and 4th round talk confuses me. I'd put him in my top 40.