Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Hoose Report; Mock #4

This mock is a little different. It takes some offensive players early, but only because of their superior talent.

1. CAMERON ERVING, C/T, FSU.

Erving was an All American LT who slid to C because of team needs. He can do it all, and is at worst the C of the future, and quite likely the RT to replace Cherilus. He slides to the Colts only because of a run on defensive players.

2. STEPHONE ANTHONY, ILB, CLEMSON.

Just a heckuva football player who has the agility to cover in the short area while manning the middle against the run. Tough, hard hitter.

3. JEREMY LANGFORD, RB, MSU.

Terrific RB with solid hands. Langford will be Gore's heir apparent.

4. HENRY ANDERSON, DE, STANFORD.

Excellent football player. He can play the Cory Redding role, and bring a little pass rush as well. Solidifies the D-line.

5. CLAYTON GEATHERS, SS, UCF.

Not a FS, but a special football player who can really bring it in the box. He can cover as well, but that skillset needs development. I like this guy.

6. JOEY MBU, DT, HOUSTON.

A big dude to plug the middle. Allegedly strong as an ox with long arms. Not a pass rusher, but so what.

6. QUANDRE DIGGS, CB, TEX.

Solid player. Solid career. Solid depth for our CB squad.

7. CJ UZOMAH, TE, AUBURN.

The Colts will need another TE  with contracts for the starters coming up soon. This guy can play, with decent hands, decent speed, and good blocking skills. Underutilized at Auburn.

7. TREY WILLIAMS, RB/KR, TEXAS A&M.

Water bug player with strong return skills. Change of pace back but real value is he can become the kick returner the team lacks while playing a fourth string role as RB.

What this draft lacks is an early selection of both CB and S, as well as run plugger. I'm not saying that that direction isn't a better focus for the Colts, but Erving and Langford are major talents in areas of need for the team. The key to this draft would be the development of Geathers and Anthony.

This mock is a little different. It takes some offensive players early, but only because of their superior talent.

1. CAMERON ERVING, C/T, FSU.

Erving was an All American LT who slid to C because of team needs. He can do it all, and is at worst the C of the future, and quite likely the RT to replace Cherilus. He slides to the Colts only because of a run on defensive players.

2. STEPHONE ANTHONY, ILB, CLEMSON.

Just a heckuva football player who has the agility to cover in the short area while manning the middle against the run. Tough, hard hitter.

3. JEREMY LANGFORD, RB, MSU.

Terrific RB with solid hands. Langford will be Gore's heir apparent.

4. HENRY ANDERSON, DE, STANFORD.

Excellent football player. He can play the Cory Redding role, and bring a little pass rush as well. Solidifies the D-line.

5. CLAYTON GEATHERS, SS, UCF.

Not a FS, but a special football player who can really bring it in the box. He can cover as well, but that skillset needs development. I like this guy.

6. JOEY MBU, DT, HOUSTON.

A big dude to plug the middle. Allegedly strong as an ox with long arms. Not a pass rusher, but so what.

6. QUANDRE DIGGS, CB, TEX.

Solid player. Solid career. Solid depth for our CB squad.

7. CJ UZOMAH, TE, AUBURN.

The Colts will need another TE  with contracts for the starters coming up soon. This guy can play, with decent hands, decent speed, and good blocking skills. Underutilized at Auburn.

7. TREY WILLIAMS, RB/KR, TEXAS A&M.

Water bug player with strong return skills. Change of pace back but real value is he can become the kick returner the team lacks while playing a fourth string role as RB.

What this draft lacks is an early selection of both CB and S, as well as run plugger. I'm not saying that that direction isn't a better focus for the Colts, but Erving and Langford are major talents in areas of need for the team. The key to this draft would be the development of Geathers and Anthony.

LOL. Your write up about Erving is 100000000% off. He was a horrible Tackle and should never play another snap from the edges again. He was not all american.... he did not slide because of team need, it was poor performance. He should never play another snap at LT or RT. He is a very good center, with ability to play G that is it.

I think every other pick is atleast a round off IMO,I think that Stephone Anthony will be the 2 LB off the board in the high second, he's getting tons of love. Anderson would probably have to be taken at 61, I don't see him there even at 93, let alone 128. Gathers is a mid-late 4th round prospect from what I've seen, and I definitely agree with that. Diggs has been rising up boards after a stellar pro day (Matt Miller says atleast), and I've seen him in a couple mocks in the 4th, too talented to slide to the 6th, same with Mbu who I think we'd have to select in the 5th.

LOL. Your write up about Erving is 100000000% off. He was a horrible Tackle and should never play another snap from the edges again. He was not all american.... he did not slide because of team need, it was poor performance. He should never play another snap at LT or RT. He is a very good center, with ability to play G that is it.

I think every other pick is atleast a round off IMO,I think that Stephone Anthony will be the 2 LB off the board in the high second, he's getting tons of love. Anderson would probably have to be taken at 61, I don't see him there even at 93, let alone 128. Gathers is a mid-late 4th round prospect from what I've seen, and I definitely agree with that. Diggs has been rising up boards after a stellar pro day (Matt Miller says atleast), and I've seen him in a couple mocks in the 4th, too talented to slide to the 6th, same with Mbu who I think we'd have to select in the 5th.

I was getting ready to say something similar. I was under the impression that Erving was an interior lineman. The footwork completely changes from C/G to tackle. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think he ever play tackle in college. i wouldn't foresee that transition going smoothly.

I still like Erving though, done get me wrong. If Castonzo does in fact get his much deserved extension, our line will be stacked in the furture

I was getting ready to say something similar. I was under the impression that Erving was an interior lineman. The footwork completely changes from C/G to tackle. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think he ever play tackle in college. i wouldn't foresee that transition going smoothly.

I still like Erving though, done get me wrong. If Castonzo does in fact get his much deserved extension, our line will be stacked in the furture

He played tackle in 2012 and 2013, then moved to center in 2014. I think he's merely average at tackle (based on a couple of games I watched), and much better at center. Much better. People keep touting his versatility, but just because he played tackle doesn't mean he was good at it, or should be projected to that position in the pros. I don't think versatility is a major plus in his case. He's an interior lineman.

I also don't think he should be our first round pick. 

I like Anthony and Anderson. I think Anderson is too low, and Langford is too high. Flip those, and it makes a little more sense. 

I've gone back and checked my research on Erving. I would say you are right in one thing: he was not All American at LT. However, he was the starting LT for the national champs in 2013 and played most of the season at LT for the 2014 team. He was All ACC at Tackle in 2013 and 2014, and third team All ACC at Center in 2014 ( yes, he made the team at two positions ).

He was voted the top blocker in the ACC in both 2013 and 2014.

This "poor performer" was voted the top blocker two years in a row at LT in the nation's best college league and you call him terrible? I have to disagree. But that's ok. I'm glad you took the time to read the mock and share your opinions. That is what makes this fun.

I've gone back and checked my research on Erving. I would say you are right in one thing: he was not All American at LT. However, he was the starting LT for the national champs in 2013 and played most of the season at LT for the 2014 team. He was All ACC at Tackle in 2013 and 2014, and third team All ACC at Center in 2014 ( yes, he made the team at two positions ).

This "poor performer" was voted the top blocker two years in a row at LT in the nation's best college league and you call him terrible? I have to disagree. But that's ok. I'm glad you took the time to read the mock and share your opinions. That is what makes this fun.

Scouting is different from handing out awards. Nate Orchard won the Hendricks award; that doesn't make him better than Vic Beasley. 

I wouldn't call Erving terrible, but I don't think he'll be a good tackle in the NFL. At least not right away. I think he projects best at center, where he'd be a really good prospect and have a chance to become one of the best in the league. 

Watch his tape vs Vic Beasley or Eli Harold (week before he was moved to C) against actually NFL talented he is destroyed, like absolutely destroyed. He is a very good Center but saying that he would be a RT is just flat out not smart, he's a good Center. That's what he's good at, on the other hand he struggles immensely at OT and he spend 2 full years there compaired to 3 months to be a dominant Center.

I like Erving at #29 simply because I'm not a big fan of some of the mocks focusing on RT, and prefer the versatility Erving provides to justify a 1st round pick on a non LT.

I think you should swap Anderson and Langford...Langford is more likely to be there in the 4th than Anderson, IMO.

Did you really just call the ACC the best college conference? Try fourth or fifth. They're close with the BIG.

Well, I like the optimism!  I'd like a different round 1 selection.  If #2 is there, great.  #3 should be Anderson and #4 Geathers... if either even make it that far.  Then hope Langford is still up in rnd 5.  or you can get Langford round 4 and hope I. Campbell is on the board in round 5.

The funny thing is, we (well, at least I) don't know the full injury history, substance abuse history, or personal conduct issue of all of the later round folks, and that can and will make some players move up and down some.

Not going to nitpick rnd 6 on (crapshoot!).  But it does interest me how some decide for a player like MBU in the 6th over someone like, say...  Derrick Lott, or David Parry...

Down that far in the rounds I have tough time picking one over another.