Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jason La Canfora disses Colts management

dudley dawson

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25152431/colts-do-nothing-stance-on-new-contract-for-andrew-luck-a-mystery

Must be a slow news day at CBS.  It makes sense to me to wait to sign Luck so we can get as many useful FAs here as possible to help us win this year.  Luck's price is not going to be THAT significantly different between this year and next.

La Canfora used to be an information guy. I don't know what he is now.

This "article" is pretty awful. If you don't understand salary cap management, then don't talk about it.

Good point Superman. When Jason was on NFL Network, he rarely talked about cap space. He'd mention guaranteed dollars on a new player's contract once in awhile but that's about it. He's no GM or cap wizard why's he trying to pass himself off as one now? At least, I will tell you flat out I suck at cap management stuff. LOL! 

And Irsay offered Pagano a contract extension & Chuck said no thank you Jimmy. Get your facts right Mr. LA CanFora before you spew nonsense that's completely false. 

I didn't say he was being logical lol 

Isn't his points the same ones Colts fans posted on the Luck 5th year option thread? I don't get what is so outlandish about his take. Pay Luck now and save money versus paying next year when he will command more money.

Isn't his points the same ones Colts fans posted on the Luck 5th year option thread? I don't get what is so outlandish about his take. Pay Luck now and save money versus paying next year when he will command more money.

We wouldn't save any money. He'll be the highest paid QB regardless.

We wouldn't save any money. He'll be the highest paid QB regardless.

The market for QBs could go up next year and then there is Wilson's contract to contend with that I posted about on the other thread. Why not get out in front of all that and like LaConfora says start pushing the money out ...

The market for QBs could go up next year and then there is Wilson's contract to contend with that I posted about on the other thread. Why not get out in front of all that and like LaConfora says start pushing the money out ...

The difference will be minimal. We're talking a $2M difference. If we extended him this year, we wouldn't have gotten half of our free agents.

I think that Luck and the Colts both have a pretty good idea of what his new contract is going to cost anyways. I would say that this team is in phase 2 right now and will be for this season and next. Once, Luck gets a new contract I'm sure the team will look much different, but I don't see why La Canfora is making such a big deal about this. It's also important to remember that Luck's agent is his uncle, so this isn't a standard NFL negotiation on that front. Both sides have a plan.

The difference will be minimal. We're talking a $2M difference. If we extended him this year, we wouldn't have gotten half of our free agents.

You could have structured it in a way where the bulk of the money did not kick in until next season. I think LaCanfora mentions that. And you say it will be $2 mil but what if Wilson gets more than $25 mil a year or some ridiculous amount guaranteed? It seems as though the Seahawks want to do something unconventional with him.

You could have structured it in a way where the bulk of the money did not kick in until next season. I think LaCanfora mentions that. And say it will be $2 mil but what if Wilson gets more than $25 mil a year or some ridiculous amount guaranteed? It seems as though the Seahawks want to do something unconventional with him.

There's no way we could have structured it like that. We still would have had to pay $20M+ this year.

He isn't dumb, the inflated salary cap coming up is going to be accounted for. It's not like if we sign him now he'll become a steal when the cap increases.

this is silly.....

he asks this question:  

Why the hell aren't the Colts doing whatever they can to sign him now?

then he answers his own question with:  

Yeah, Indy saves some cash and cap this season by keeping him on his rookie deal,

he then states this:  

No one thinks he is anything other than a player who is going to be the highest paid in this league for a long time.

but also says:

Not paying him now could very well come back to bite the Colts big time when they do finally engage in contract talks. Waiting another year will only drive Lucks' price up. 

Buy in as low as you can on him and get the process started.

He just said that not resigning him now saved cap space.... ok, thats a good thing

He then says that everyone thinks Andrew Luck would be the highest paid QB if resigned now...followed by stating the Colts should resign him now when he is as low as they can get him at.  

Wouldn't signing him now as the highest paid QB be signing him at his highest price???  I don't see how waiting another year could possibly hurt.  

I highly doubt we make an offer making him the highest paid QB next year (the offer he suggests we do now) and he turns it down saying he wants to be even more of the highest paid QB because he had a good year.  

Paying him now doesn't save money now. It costs money now. Doesn't matter how you structure the contract, doesn't matter what kind of supposed long term savings there are, there's cash that comes out now, and it raises his cap hit, even if moderately. 

Working out the cap numbers in future years isn't going to be difficult. The cap is going up, the team has lots of cap flexibility, and whatever it takes, we'll keep him. 

Paying him now doesn't save money now. It costs money now. Doesn't matter how you structure the contract, doesn't matter what kind of supposed long term savings there are, there's cash that comes out now, and it raises his cap hit, even if moderately. 

Working out the cap numbers in future years isn't going to be difficult. The cap is going up, the team has lots of cap flexibility, and whatever it takes, we'll keep him. 

Sure I get all that but I think La Confora's point is that it will cost more to sign him next year which it will so why no do him now and save that money for future years. I see both sides but not sure why La Confora is getting slammed so hard on this thread. His points are valid for the Colts to do Luck now but would have been more balanced obviously if he discussed the benefits of also waiting which he touched on when he said they did not have a lot of cap room this season.

Sigh ... Are we really gonna go through this, again? Just as Dustin and Superman have pointed out time after time it doesn't make any sense to structure and implement Luck's contract now. Extending provides FAs this year and next. (yes, I said next) The cap expands next year. The structure of AL's contract may change by next season. Too many what ifs can occur. The organization's overall picture could change. You can eliminate _ALL_ of that by simply extending. So, why not? Then there are the intangibles of hype, focus, and end goal arguments. ET.AL Over speculation is why some teams in the NFL get into ill-advised hurried ness. The route the Colts have chosen is the conservative and safe one, IMO. Why rock the boat when you do not have to comes to mind.

Holy moly man is Mr. Harrison a fool. Andrew Luck succeeds Peyton Manning, wins 11 games, & erases the debacle that is Curtis Painter from my mind & yet Elliot raves about RG3 that even the DC fan base is thru with. 

You're exactly right SH. Elliot has no business analyzing QBs period. Do not renew that guy's contract. There is no need for a 2nd Skip Bayless in this world. Enough said. 

Sure I get all that but I think La Confora's point is that it will cost more to sign him next year which it will so why no do him now and save that money for future years. I see both sides but not sure why La Confora is getting slammed so hard on this thread. His points are valid for the Colts to do Luck now but would have been more balanced obviously if he discussed the benefits of also waiting which he touched on when he said they did not have a lot of cap room this season.

La Canfora is getting slammed on this thread because he evidently doesn't know what he's talking about.

I don't think it will cost that much more next year, if at all. Luck isn't signing any kind of discount contract, even if you offer it today. So we're probably talking about the difference between $21m/year to maybe $23m/year. And most of that extra money wouldn't matter until you get into Year 3 or 4 of the contract, when the cap is higher.

As an exercise, I've compared the two strategies. There's negligible long term difference. The big change is that you're sacrificing cap space now in order to presumably save some cap space later, and to save total money over the life of the contract. As a long term projection, that might seem like it makes sense. But people are still struggling with the concept of cap space. It's not a year to year asset; it's a total asset. What you don't spend today, you can still spend tomorrow. But once you spend it today, that's it. So increasing your cap number today in order to potentially decrease your cap number and total investment over the long term isn't as smart as it seems.

That's especially true once you start projecting future salary cap increases. Keeping him at a lower cap number today, even if it's offset by a higher cap number in the future, theoretically takes up a smaller percentage of your available cap space. Against a $160m salary cap, it's a difference of barely 1% of the cap. This idea of "savings" is really less of a factor than most people realize. The real savings happens right now.

All that said, there are definitely potential benefits to extending him now, rather than later. Most notably, you get rid of the amortized bonus sooner, making it easier to extend and restructure him in the future. But we're talking about five years from now. This CBA will be almost done by then. That's a long time from now. It makes more sense to save more now, even if it costs you more later. The increasing cap makes the long term savings kind of irrelevant.

La Canfora is getting slammed on this thread because he evidently doesn't know what he's talking about.

I don't think it will cost that much more next year, if at all. Luck isn't signing any kind of discount contract, even if you offer it today. So we're probably talking about the difference between $21m/year to maybe $23m/year. And most of that extra money wouldn't matter until you get into Year 3 or 4 of the contract, when the cap is higher.

As an exercise, I've compared the two strategies. There's negligible long term difference. The big change is that you're sacrificing cap space now in order to presumably save some cap space later, and to save total money over the life of the contract. As a long term projection, that might seem like it makes sense. But people are still struggling with the concept of cap space. It's not a year to year asset; it's a total asset. What you don't spend today, you can still spend tomorrow. But once you spend it today, that's it. So increasing your cap number today in order to potentially decrease your cap number and total investment over the long term isn't as smart as it seems.

That's especially true once you start projecting future salary cap increases. Keeping him at a lower cap number today, even if it's offset by a higher cap number in the future, theoretically takes up a smaller percentage of your available cap space. Against a $160m salary cap, it's a difference of barely 1% of the cap. This idea of "savings" is really less of a factor than most people realize. The real savings happens right now.

All that said, there are definitely potential benefits to extending him now, rather than later. Most notably, you get rid of the amortized bonus sooner, making it easier to extend and restructure him in the future. But we're talking about five years from now. This CBA will be almost done by then. That's a long time from now. It makes more sense to save more now, even if it costs you more later. The increasing cap makes the long term savings kind of irrelevant.

This is "BY FAR" the easiest way you've explained cap management that I've seen, Superman! I sure hope this edification for all will be absorbed like a sponge by Colts Fans and non-Colts fans alike.

Nice post.

I think you forgot the biggest benefit which is giving Luck his money now. I am sure he would rather get the deal now than play next year and potentially have an injury end his career. I think with someone special like him, you don't make him wait to get paid. JMO.

I think you forgot the biggest benefit which is giving Luck his money now. I am sure he would rather get the deal now than play next year and potentially have an injury end his career. I think with someone special like him, you don't make him wait to get paid. JMO.

That's not a benefit to the team. That's a side consideration that has pretty much nothing to do with cap/roster management. He's under contract, and now has an injury guaranteed Year 5 for over $16m, and probably has a ton of insurance in case he does get hurt.

From a cap/roster management standpoint, it makes more sense to use that little bit of cap flexibility now to put better players around him. That's really the answer to the original question.

That's not a benefit to the team. That's a side consideration that has pretty much nothing to do with cap/roster management. He's under contract, and now has an injury guaranteed Year 5 for over $16m, and probably has a ton of insurance in case he does get hurt.

From a cap/roster management standpoint, it makes more sense to use that little bit of cap flexibility now to put better players around him. That's really the answer to the original question.

Yes, I know. But I think with a special player like him you don't make him wait. I think that is why Seattle is getting Wilson done. He deserves it now as does Luck.

It is interesting but that rookie salary scale was put in place to save teams from paying QBs who turn out to be busts. But in Wilson and Luck's case they would have been well worth those contracts and then some. I think teams realize that pretty early on. But then you get guys like Newton who Carolina was unsure about until probably last season and of course RG and it is a good thing that the rookie salary scale is there.

Yes, I know. But I think with a special player like him you don't make him wait. I think that is why Seattle is getting Wilson done. He deserves it now as does Luck.

It is interesting but that rookie salary scale was put in place to save teams from paying QBs who turn out to be busts. But in Wilson and Luck's case they would have been well worth those contracts and then some. I think teams realize that pretty early on. But then you get guys like Newton who Carolina was unsure about until probably last season and of course RG and it is a good thing that the rookie salary scale is there.

Seattle doesn't have a fifth year option on Wilson. He's a year away from free agency. Luck is two years away. It's not the same.

It's like this deal with the Cubs and Kris Bryant. I'm all about doing right by your players, especially the really good ones. But I also think you need to have a modus operandi that puts the good of the team ahead of any one person's interests, both short term and long term. It's six in one, half dozen in the other with this Luck deal, as there's offsetting risks/rewards with either scenario, but it's not like he's being hung out to dry either way. He's gonna get paid. For now, it's about the team keeping as much flexibility as they can.

Seattle doesn't have a fifth year option on Wilson. He's a year away from free agency. Luck is two years away. It's not the same.

It's like this deal with the Cubs and Kris Bryant. I'm all about doing right by your players, especially the really good ones. But I also think you need to have a modus operandi that puts the good of the team ahead of any one person's interests, both short term and long term. It's six in one, half dozen in the other with this Luck deal, as there's offsetting risks/rewards with either scenario, but it's not like he's being hung out to dry either way. He's gonna get paid. For now, it's about the team keeping as much flexibility as they can.

Yeah. It can be a catch 22. I don't get the sense that Luck is someone to make a big stink anyways but there are some large contracts about to come down soon with Wilson, Newton and Eli and of course Big Ben just got paid too.

Yeah. It can be a catch 22. I don't get the sense that Luck is someone to make a big stink anyways but there are some large contracts about to come down soon with Wilson, Newton and Eli and of course Big Ben just got paid too.

The Seahawks are acting like they might draw a line in the sand on Wilson's contract and I don't think Eli's contract will be crazy either.  

There's a little bit of a lid on QB contracts, and has been since Drew Brees signed for $20m/year. Aaron Rodgers is the highest paid at $22m, and everyone else who's signed since 2012 has been in that range, or less. I don't think anyone is suddenly going to jump up way above that range, including Wilson and Luck. Certainly not Newton or Eli. 

I think Luck will be the highest paid, maybe $23m/year, with a record amount of guaranteed money. And I think there will be a lot of articles from know-nothings like La Canfora between now and then, claiming that league execs think the Colts are messing something up with Luck and he's going to get mad and leave, blah blah blah. It's really not all that dramatic. 

Or the real Andrew has already figured out money management and can have Everything he needs/wants with the $$ he will have made thru year 5.

I don`t see him being broke in 2 years like so many, if he never plays another down. Nor a $$$ grubber like :D .