Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Giving Grigson his Due

ztboiler

For those unsatisfied with reaching the playoffs 3 straight years and progressing deeper in each of those campaigns...

You can't win the games in the off-season, but when the pundits think your roster is at the top of the conference, aren't you doing something right regardless of how you got the players and the players that didn't work out?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000485792/article/roster-reset-recap-patriots-colts-atop-afc

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you take over a 2-14 roster and transform it so the team goes to the playoffs the next three years, wins two divison titles, and goes a round further every year in the playoffs you are doing something right regardless of what anyone says.

Is Grigson perfect? No, but show me a GM in any sport who is.

When you take over a 2-14 roster and transform it so the team goes to the playoffs the next three years, wins two divison titles, and goes a round further every year in the playoffs you are doing something right regardless of what anyone says.

As has been pointed out here at least a hundred times, the 2-14 season coming off nearly 15 years of excellence was surely an anomaly due to the loss of Peyton and having no competent backup. How do you thnk the current team would do without Luck, even though we have a good backup? The non-qb talent today is probably about the same as it was before Grigson arrived. Of course, the only way I can prove that is if, heaven forbid, Luck cannot play in 2015.

As has been pointed out here at least a hundred times, the 2-14 season coming off nearly 15 years of excellence was surely an anomaly due to the loss of Peyton and having no competent backup. How do you thnk the current team would do without Luck, even though we have a good backup? The non-qb talent today is probably about the same as it was before Grigson arrived. Of course, the only way I can prove that is if, heaven forbid, Luck cannot play in 2015.

Also look at the roster most of the players from Peyton Era is completely different then Luck era even the 2012 was majorly different

I think we can all agree that Grigson has had some misses. As a member of this forum, I am well aware of Grigson's misses.

Yes, he had the good fortune to draft Andrew Luck, but let's not forget the other shrewd moves that he made. He selected two TEs in the same draft. Most GMs would not have made this move but we continue to reap the rewards of this move. He moved up to draft T.Y. Hilton. He drafted Chapman knowing that he would not play in 2012, and he traded for V. Davis. He found Freeman in the CFL, and brought in Toler and Butler to shore up the CB position. He's done some good things to make the Colts a very solid team.

There is room for improvement on the roster but I think that Grigson has done a good job overall.

Credit to him for being the GM who had the #1 pick when Luck was available. 

I would have said that his first year, but he's made some good decisions other than doing the obvious and picking Andrew Luck. The Vontae Davis trade was great for us. Sure Richardson sucked, but we're moving on.

I like Grigson, I just really believe he outthinks himself way too often.

Taking project players (Werner) with 1st round picks

Trading 1st round picks for RB's whreally are a dime a dozen now

Keeping players who aren't benefiting the team at all on the roster (Landry, Cribbs, Etc)

But other than that, he's done wonderful with building the roster. I just want him more aggressive in the decision making on this team. Like how Pagano and co. bench players or something, Grigson should overrule them if he feels the player shouldn't be benched or something

Vontae is better than any CB we've ever had in the Peyton Era

Hilton is the best WR we've had (outside of Marvin and Reggie) since Peyton

The talent isn't the same level, may not be skyrocket higher but not the same

Also look at the roster most of the players from Peyton Era is completely different then Luck era even the 2012 was majorly different

An excellent point PAPT. Grigs dealt with a massive turnover of talent from the Manning era & basically started over transforming us from a tall, speed finesse team to a girth impose our will team in the trenches. 

INDY's not there yet, but we are getting closer. I just wanna run the ball & stop the run. Todd Herremans is a good addition, but I just wish Grigs wouldn't rely on his Philadelphia days so much. 

better than the team without Manning did. Would they be as good as they are with Luck? No, but with a good back up like Hasselbeck they would still be compative in most games and win a handful of games.

I'll say this any team built around a super star QB is not going to withstand losing that superstar QB for a full season, the Pats the year Brady was out are an exception to the rule. However, it's not unreasonable to expect them to at least be competitive. The Colts without Manning weren't even that. Also, the Colts were showing cracks the year before Manning was gone. Losing Manning just spead up the decline that was already in progress.

If the problem was just losing Manning the roster would not have been striped down and result they would have either just kept Manning or added just put Luck in place with the rest of the roster. That wasn't the case Grigson has replaced players to the point there are only four players from before he was here and of those four two are kickers, one is a backup lineman, and the other didn't play last season.

Everyone else Grigson brought in so yeah he has done a darn good job turning around a 2-14 roster in very short order and didn't just do it by fixing one or two weak spots with Polian's guys he's done it by replacing Polian's guys.

would you rather have the GM for the raiders and browns?

Touche CR91. When I look at the annual dysfunction in Cleveland, I really have nothing to moan & groan about with Grigs. Thanks for the proper perspective my man.

Even I can't argue with Ryan's winning record getting 1 step closer each season to a SB. My issue with his double speak press conferences is meaningless now. I respect what he's done & how he made my Colts Lombardi contenders so quickly.  

This isn't pointed towards you Dustin, but to all the people who say the team is Luck with no help.  Grigson built a solid team around Andrew.  Obviously, not all the moves were successful but you have to look at the big picture.  

The other 'experts' that tick me off are those that have said we should have had multiple SBs with Peyton and we're wasting Luck in the same way.  If a top 5 QB is all it takes to guarantee SBs, then Rodgers would have more.  

Rant over...

I would have said that his first year, but he's made some good decisions other than doing the obvious and picking Andrew Luck. The Vontae Davis trade was great for us. Sure Richardson sucked, but we're moving on.

Trading up to get Hilton, grabbing both Fleener and Allen, finding Freeman out of Canada, signing Mike Adams when no one else in the league would, drafting Newsome, drafting Mewhort, there are more but those are just some of his good moves in addition to the ones you listed above. 

So don't give him any credit for building a playoff team that had 4 players on the roster from the 2-14 team. And two of those players were kickers. We wouldn't want to do that now would we. I guess him starting out with 39 million in dead cap money means he didn't do his job either? Sorry Dustin you are making yourself look pretty lame in the knowledge aspect of the NFL.

Trading up to get Hilton, grabbing both Fleener and Allen, finding Freeman out of Canada, signing Mike Adams when no one else in the league would, drafting Newsome, drafting Mewhort, there are more but those are just some of his good moves in addition to the ones you listed above. 

You wouldn't want to cloud the negative fans too much. The facts are not good enough to change their minds. I guess IMO their NFL knowledge is lacking big time.

So don't give him any credit for building a playoff team that had 4 players on the roster from the 2-14 team. And two of those players were kickers. We wouldn't want to do that now would we. I guess him starting out with 39 million in dead cap money means he didn't do his job either? Sorry Dustin you are making yourself look pretty lame in the knowledge aspect of the NFL.

Nah. If he didn't have Luck he'd be fired by now. Roster is awful and he's wasted two first round picks.

Nah. If he didn't have Luck he'd be fired by now. Roster is awful and he's wasted two first round picks.

I cant believe your serious. So most everyone is wrong but you? Even ESPN, the NFL network and Fox sports are all wrong. Sorry, like I stated in my opinion. Your knowledge of how a NFL team is put together and the ins and outs of dealing with the cap space is completely lost on you. I think you make these comments just trying to stir the pot because you like that kind of stuff. We also have quite a few Patriots fans who loves the same stuff.

For those unsatisfied with reaching the playoffs 3 straight years and progressing deeper in each of those campaigns...

You can't win the games in the off-season, but when the pundits think your roster is at the top of the conference, aren't you doing something right regardless of how you got the players and the players that didn't work out?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000485792/article/roster-reset-recap-patriots-colts-atop-afc

The colts roster is the tops in the AFC south? Wow, what a compliment.....

I cant believe your serious. So most everyone is wrong but you? Even ESPN, the NFL network and Fox sports are all wrong. Sorry, like I stated in my opinion. Your knowledge of how a NFL team is put together and the ins and outs of dealing with the cap space is completely lost on you. I think you make these comments just trying to stir the pot because you like that kind of stuff. We also have quite a few Patriots fans who loves the same stuff.

If FOX, ESPN, and NFLN says the Colts have a good roster, then yes, they are wrong.

That's funny, when I listen to pundits on espn they claim Luck is carrying the colts. The latest being Dick Vermeil. The only people who like the colts roster? Colts fans

I think this year is Grigson's make-or-break year.  He needs to have a really good draft and we need to get some really good production out of those free agents he signed.  I think he spends money a little too loosely, giving players more money than they deserve.  Lucky for him, a QB like Luck covers up a lot of deficiencies.

I agree. Grigson is doing a good job for a young first time GM.

He has had some room to fail though, and those days will be over when we have to start paying Luck what he deserves. It will be interesting to see how Grigson deals with off-seasons when we don't have as much money to spend. 

I would also like to see him do better in the first half of the draft.

I am not complaining. 

I agree !! But there was a lot of people saying RG3 was better before the draft and even after the rookie year. I am glad Grigson wasn't the fool.

It would not have made any difference if Grigson was foolish enough to prefer RG3, he did not make the pick; Irsay did. 

I agree !! But there was a lot of people saying RG3 was better before the draft and even after the rookie year. I am glad Grigson wasn't the fool.

I'd almost guarantee that Irsay told Grigson the Colts where drafting Luck early in their interview for the GM position.   Luck was Irsay's pick.  Grigson's draft choices begin with Fleenor.

Trading up to get Hilton

I think of Hilton as Grigson's best draft pick so far.

But if I remember right, they didn't trade with the team that was on the clock -- they traded with a team that was 3 or 4 spots behind the team currently on the clock.  Shortly after the draft, I read they had actually traded up for a different player and were upset when that player went of the board before their pick -- at which point they decided to draft Hilton.  I think the rumor was they targeted DL Jake Bequette who was drafted by NE 2 picks ahead of Hilton.

Does anybody else remember how the trade went down or remember hearing that the targeted another player and missed out?

I personally think grigson has done a hell of a job, Ya he's had his misses... But name me 1 Gm who hasn't! I think people take the good for granted and just focus on the bad... I for one think this roster even though it's still not as good as it will be, is one of the best colts team, and this is only 3 years into Grigsons tenture. ya the D gave up few bad games but i can't remember a D with the manning era to play as solid as they did in certain games, shoot they even won us a couple games.

I think of Hilton as Grigson's best draft pick so far.

But if I remember right, they didn't trade with the team that was on the clock -- they traded with a team that was 3 or 4 spots behind the team currently on the clock.  Shortly after the draft, I read they had actually traded up for a different player and were upset when that player went of the board before their pick -- at which point they decided to draft Hilton.  I think the rumor was they targeted DL Jake Bequette who was drafted by NE 2 picks ahead of Hilton.

Does anybody else remember how the trade went down or remember hearing that the targeted another player and missed out?

I tried to look it up and found this gem from our friend brad wells LOL

qAyfttu.png