Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Duron Carters Number

indyagent17

As we all know he is wearing number 9.  But I have searched the rules and I cannot find the rule where a receiver can wear #9 in the regular season, you may only wear single digits numbers in the preseason.

It appears he may have to change his number in the regular season when Lenz (11) or Boone (15) gets cut

Here is the most current rule listing I could find

1. Such numerals must be by playing position, as follows: (a) quarterbacks, punters, and placekickers: 1-19; (b) running backs and defensive backs:20-49; (d) offensive guards and tackles: 60-79; (e) wide receivers: 10-19and 80-89; (f) tight ends: 80-89;
  1.  Receivers are permitted to wear single digit numbers during the preseason when there are no numbers in the 10s or 80s available. For example, Victor Cruz of the New York Giants wore number 3 in the 2010 preseason but changed to 80 before the start of the regular season.

in the pre-season, you can basically wear whatever number you want. hes gonna have to change it if he makes the 53 man roster. also TEs can wear 40-49. some examples are dallas clark wearing 44 or charles clay wearing 47

Just out of curiosity why is this an issue? Camp and pre season rules are not the same as regular season so who cares at this point? I know it's kind of slow with finding topics to discuss and debate in the off season but c-mon man.

Nobody claimed it was an issue. It's just a fact that he'll need to change his number if he makes the team.

Just out of curiosity why is this an issue? Camp and pre season rules are not the same as regular season so who cares at this point? I know it's kind of slow with finding topics to discuss and debate in the off season but c-mon man.

It is slow indeed....but come on man of ALL the offseason threads made this has some interest to it and actually included research....far better than those threads that start with "Sooooooooo......."

Carter is either the #4 or #5 receiver I think depending on what he can show in camp and the preseason... He's gonna find it hard to get above Moncrief on the depth chart and we all know AJ and TY are #1 and #2... in either order...

I'll say he's the #4 and will get the Moncrief treatment like Donte did last year. But that's just my opinion.

Man, haven't heard anything on Swoope since last pre season. I had high hopes for this kid.

He had never played organized football before, so his first year was bound to be on the PS to learn and grow. I still have marginally high hopes for him. He looked like he knew what he was doing in the ~12 preseason snaps he took last year.

Yeah, I agree CC1 who cares about a jersey number? If you're a stud on game day, Mr. Carter will get noticed. Trust me. 

Must be a slow news day in the NFL. Yes, I know I don't want to curtail any forum member creativity. Point taken. 

I say they start using binary numbers

Even better than metadata computer code would be Egyptian hieroglyphics. I'd love to see Jim Nance & Phil Sims try to tell the audience which RB, TE, or WR made the touchdown. 

Imagine radio broadcasters without the aid of video trying to do this symbol by symbol as opposed to a double digit number. Let the comedy of errors begin...

Sure the name would be easy unless a new fan wanted to know the number of a favorite rookie. 

What if somebody wants to buy a D. Carter jersey?  (Sorry Chris... got to wait until he gets his real # !!  LOL) ;-)

It's interesting in that he will have to change once he makes the 53 man roster, though.

What if somebody wants to buy a D. Carter jersey?  (Sorry Chris... got to wait until he gets his real # !!  LOL) ;-)

It's interesting in that he will have to change once he makes the 53 man roster, though.

I kind of doubt that there are any Carter jerseys available at this point. I would think the printers wouldn't print any up till they see what number he will be wearing. Also it is not unusual for there to be duplicate numbers in camp and pre season being there are 90 players give or take.