Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

how is freeney not on this list?

ColtsFanMikeC

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000484355/article/top-rookie-seasons-of-the-super-bowl-era-defensive-linemen?campaign=Facebook_writers_harrison

The list is top 5 rookie seasons in the Super Bowl era for defensive lineman.

1) 'Mean' Joe Green (14 games played, 14 starts, first team all-pro)

2) Al 'Bubba' Baker (23 sacks, 16 games played, 16 starts)

3) Reggie White (13 games, 12 starts, 13 sacks)

4) Jevon Kearse (14.5 sacks, eight forced fumbles, 16 games, 16 starts)

5) Ndamukong Suh (16 games, 16 starts, 1 forced fumble, 10 sacks, 1 interception)

Toughest Omission: Aaron Donald (9 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 48 tackles)

Freeney had 13 sacks, 9 forced fumbles, 16 games (I think 16 starts). Seems to me that Freeney is a tougher omission than Aaron Donald.

....... why does it matter?

It really doesn't matter -- it's just the offseason and something to discuss before we get to the draft.  Freeney had a very good rookie year for us and I think he deserves to be on that list or at least should be mentioned in the article.

One reason could be position.  It's easier to get sacks as a DE than as a DT since DTs regularly have to have double teams.  To get 9 or 10 sacks as a rookie DT is very impressive.

I could see that -- and I do think stats are very difficult things to gauge a player's greatness (especially at that position -- some guys like Vince Wilfork never put up huge numbers for sacks or tackles, but he sure could do his job to eat up  blockers and let his teammates stop the run while he was with New England).  As much as I appreciate what Freeney meant to the Colts' organization, I have said I think if he ever gets into the HOF, he should thank Peyton more than anyone else.  Freeney was a sack monster when he was healthy, but he was always a liability against the run -- I don't think he would have had nearly as successful as a career if it wasn't for Peyton and the offense allowing him to 'pin his ears back' and focus his game almost solely on attacking the opposing QB. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000484355/article/top-rookie-seasons-of-the-super-bowl-era-defensive-linemen?campaign=Facebook_writers_harrison

5) Ndamukong Suh (16 games, 16 starts, 1 forced fumble, 10 sacks, 1 interception)

Freeney had 13 sacks, 9 forced fumbles, 16 games (I think 16 starts). Seems to me that Freeney is a tougher omission than Aaron Donald.

The only thing I can think of is that Feeney didn't "start" until about mid season. He played a lot but I remember Dungy being questioned about that. Again, just pointing it out.

The only thing I can think of is that Feeney didn't "start" until about mid season. He played a lot but I remember Dungy being questioned about that. Again, just pointing it out.

You are correct, I just looked up his stats and he only had 8 starts.  That said, I couldn't believe he didn't get defensive rookie of year (went to Julius Peppers, who only played in 12 games).  Freeney's 9 forced fumbles as a rookie is pretty remarkable if you ask me (compared to Peppers' 5 -- Freeney also had more tackles and sacks).

IMO the # of starts should be irrelevant

I guess the point 21issuperman was making may kind of factor into the idea of # of starts.  Especially things like sacks -- some guys in the league are brought in on 3rd and long just to rush the passer but don't do much else.  Rushing the passer is obviously important, but it doesn't always reflect a well-rounded player.  So in some senses, at DL, I think lack of starts might mean the player isn't an every down guy.  Regardless, Freeney had a terrific rookie year and really excelled at creating plays.

I agree Freeney should be on that list but he only started 9 games his rookie season.  He was played sparingly until he got his start against the Eagles I believe.