Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any thoughts about a #3/practice squad QB?

scooter4910

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping to eliminate vet pay for a backup QB and develop our own backup and do it on rookie pay scale for a few years.  But, whatever it takes.  Just do not want a QB on staff that is the other teams MVP if he has to play for any reason.  And Matt is likely done, and I hope he doesn't have to play any next season as well.

Yeah, I know you didn't like signing Hasselbeck in the first place. But $3m for a backup QB in 2016 will be even less of a hold. To me, it's a question of whether you want to spend a notable draft pick on a rookie backup who actually has some talent, or do you want to spend a little bit more for a veteran and try grooming a late round guy? 

In theory, I'm okay with a guy like Drew Stanton, but he didn't take a single snap for us. I think Irsay and the staff want to avoid having a backup who, like you say, is more valuable for the opponent than he is for us. Ideally, we'd have a talented prospect with us in 2015, even on the practice squad, and hope that he shows an ability to be a QB2 in 2016. That would be a nice bridge.

Matt Hasselbeck will turn 40 this year, so the Colts can't rely on him to keep putting off retirement.  An interesting QB prospect who will likely still be available in the late rounds is Shane Carden.  He was very productive at East Carolina and is credited with a high football IQ, but scouts question his arm strength and knock his big wind-up throwing technique.  Then again, the scouts also questioned Andrew Luck's arm strength, remember?  I wouldn't mind the Colts taking a flier on a project like Carden.  It's a bit of a luxury to keep a 3rd gunslinger on the active roster, but I'm not sure if Carden can be safely stashed on the practice squad with so many teams in desperate need of a good QB.

I will make a bold prediction. 

The 2 obvious quarterbacks will be taken in the first round. 

But no quarterback will be taken in the second.

I really believe that too. 

Because I think Matt Moore is a good quarterback, and I would like for him to learn our system for a season so he can take over for MH next year.

He is also a relevant cheap backup who could backup Luck for the next 5-10 years.

I think the issue is with using a roster spot on a third QB. I don't think that's good roster management for our team.

There are reasons to only keep 2 quarterbacks, but I don't see it as the rule. We are just used to it in Indy.

It's not a rule, but it makes sense. We have an established starter, and he has no history of injury. All of our hopes for contending depend on him. We have a veteran backup, so if our starter is out for a bit, we still have a chance to salvage our season until the starter gets back. Anything beyond that, we're probably toast, unless you want to commit notable resources and a roster spot to QB3 who can also play at a reasonably high level for a stretch. I think that roster spot would be better served at a different position.

If we didn't have an established starter, or if we didn't have a strong backup, then I could see a third QB being useful for depth and even competition. Teams like Arizona, Washington, etc., are likely to carry three QBs.

It's not a rule, but it makes sense. We have an established starter, and he has no history of injury. All of our hopes for contending depend on him. We have a veteran backup, so if our starter is out for a bit, we still have a chance to salvage our season until the starter gets back. Anything beyond that, we're probably toast, unless you want to commit notable resources and a roster spot to QB3 who can also play at a reasonably high level for a stretch. I think that roster spot would be better served at a different position.

If we didn't have an established starter, or if we didn't have a strong backup, then I could see a third QB being useful for depth and even competition. Teams like Arizona, Washington, etc., are likely to carry three QBs.

Established starter, but after this season there is no established backup quarterback. We will bring a new vet in or draft a rookie. 

We can disagree on this subject all day, and we have a few times now. To me, a backup veteran quarterback to get ready for our system and life without MH is the best option for the 53rd player in 2015.

We can't dress all 53 anyway.

I agree that if we had our backup quarterback of the future already on the roster then carrying 2 makes sense. 

Established starter, but after this season there is no established backup quarterback. We will bring a new vet in or draft a rookie. 

We can disagree on this subject all day, and we have a few times now. To me, a backup veteran quarterback to get ready for our system and life without MH is the best option for the 53rd player in 2015.

We can't dress all 53 anyway.

I agree that if we had our backup quarterback of the future already on the roster then carrying 2 makes sense. 

So we can just pick up Chase Daniels, Matt Schaub, Drew Stanton, Dan Orlovsky or Matt Moore when likely 1 or all 4 are going to be FA's at the end of the year

So we can just pick up Chase Daniels, Matt Schaub, Drew Stanton, Dan Orlovsky or Matt Moore when likely 1 or all 4 are going to be FA's at the end of the year

That quarterback is not ready for our system. If we brought him in a year earlier then he is ready.

If Bill Polian could redo his thinking (Go back in time), how do you think he would approach carrying 3 quarterbacks? He lost his job because he did not have a quarterback ready to step in when Peyton went down.

I think that's a 2016 issue. And if we bring in a new vet, then there's little learning curve. That's my preferred strategy. We can also draft or sign someone who can work on the practice squad for a year or so.

That quarterback is not ready for our system. If we brought him in a year earlier then he is ready.

If Bill Polian could redo his thinking (Go back in time), how do you think he would approach carrying 3 quarterbacks? He lost his job because he did not have a quarterback ready to step in when Peyton went down.

I don't think that's why Bill Polian lost his job. I think it was the rest of the roster that was the problem.

I think that's a 2016 issue. And if we bring in a new vet, then there's little learning curve. That's my preferred strategy. We can also draft or sign someone who can work on the practice squad for a year or so.

Difference in approach. If I am Grigson then I want to keep my job. Some people may roll the dice though. Not me.

I don't think that's why Bill Polian lost his job. I think it was the rest of the roster that was the problem.

Bill Polian lost his job because we went 2-14. Had we gone 8-8 after losing Peyton then he probably would have been safe. 

That was about not having a quarterback.

Of course...But that's because he brought Collins in 16-17 days before the season started, Bring in one of the QB's I mentioned the minute FA starts (Which should not be a problem I don't think) and you give that QB plenty of time to learn whats expected of him and OTA's and TC to prepare, Bring Collins in sooner or have Orlovsky start from day 1 and we don't have Luck and Polian might still have his job

I wonder if Bill Polian had to do it all over again if he would change his mind on carrying 2 quarterbacks?

he has been asked directly about that and did not try to dodge the question.  he said that he obviously wished he had found better backups but that it was cost prohibitive to do so given the teams top heavy salary cap issues.

also there may not have been much interest among good qb free agents that wanted to be peytons back up.  hassleback is an  exception but most of the free agents with starter potential dont want to back up a guy like peyton manning in his prime.

Bill Polian lost his job because we went 2-14. Had we gone 8-8 after losing Peyton then he probably would have been safe. 

That was about not having a quarterback.

Meh. If the rest of the roster was capable of not going 0-13, things would have been different.

No question we could have done better than Collins and Painter. I'm not advocating that level of backup QB planning. I'm just saying I don't think it's necessary to carry three in 2015. And at the end of the day, if Luck is down for the year like Manning was in 2011, it changes everything, including the roster mechanics at QB.

I wonder if Bill Polian had to do it all over again if he would change his mind on carrying 2 quarterbacks?

no, none of them would have been able to make that team into a winner other than Peyton. a third qb wouldn't have made a difference

Polians problem wasnt that he only carried 2 QB's on the roster... It was the fact that he never even gave the 2nd string QB any thought at all..... I mean, until 18 had his neck surgery he hadnt missed a single game.... ever...  Polian was lucky 18 Peyton didnt miss any significant time before that because he mightve been out the door a lot faster otherwise.

Polians problem wasnt that he only carried 2 QB's on the roster... It was the fact that he never even gave the 2nd string QB any thought at all..... I mean, until 18 had his neck surgery he hadnt missed a single game.... ever... Polian was lucky 18 Peyton didnt miss any significant time before that because he mightve been out the door a lot faster otherwise.

I watched every game person ever played for the Colts and many games long before him. So I know he was durable. Is even at the game when his jaw was broken and he only missed one play. I don't need your history lessons.

Bill Polian brought in a few good backup quarterbacks over the years.

GMs who only carry 2 QBs take risks. Sometimes it is certainly justified. Sometimes it is not. A lot of people believe caring 2 QBs is a rule and it is not. It's risky.

Teams over draft qbs every year. This year will be no different

Taking any of this years QBs class (except Winston and Marcus) before round 5 is a reach.

I do not believe there is a QB in the second round for a team to fall in love with this year.

We will see soon enough.

no, none of them would have been able to make that team into a winner other than Peyton. a third qb wouldn't have made a difference

You're missing the point.

I am not saying we should always carry 3 quarterbacks. Maybe you should read my prior above so you understand my position.

Circumstances change every year. I think sometimes Colts fans do not look at why we have carried 2 QBs closely enough. It is as some think we are above carrying more than 2.

Sometimes carrying 3 QBs is just the smart move. Right now we have an aging backup who is in his last year. It is risky to completely replace him next year and start over at backup.

Had Polian prepared and planned the Colts QB position better, then he would likely still have a job.

Of course...But that's because he brought Collins in 16-17 days before the season started, Bring in one of the QB's I mentioned the minute FA starts (Which should not be a problem I don't think) and you give that QB plenty of time to learn whats expected of him and OTA's and TC to prepare, Bring Collins in sooner or have Orlovsky start from day 1 and we don't have Luck and Polian might still have his job

You are making my point. Collins was way past his playing days. Had we brought him in the preseason prior then we would have seen that in training camp. We already knew it was risky to only keep only Painter. Those are the risks, and Bill Polian paid for it. 

I am not a risk taker on situations this important. I would make sure I always had a solid backup on deck.

I watched every game person ever played for the Colts and many games long before him. So I know he was durable. Is even at the game when his jaw was broken and he only missed one play. I don't need your history lessons.

GMs who only carry 2 QBs take risks. Sometimes it is certainly justified. Sometimes it is not. A lot of people believe caring 2 QBs is a rule and it is not. It's risky.

This is why a person should not post from a cell phone. ;)

Should read:

I watched every game Peyton ever played for the Colts and many games long before him. So I know he was durable. I was even at the game when his jaw was broken and he only missed one play. We fumbled the ball on that play. I don't need your history lessons.

GMs who only carry 2 QBs take risks. Sometimes it is certainly justified. Sometimes it is not. A lot of people believe carrying 2 QBs is a rule but it is not. It's risky. It is very risky.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the spot...he went third :)

I thought of you when that pick was made.  I couldn't remember which round you said, but I knew I'd have to eat crow.

Good prediction.  My prediction that the Colts wouldn't draft a QB and pick up someone that would never be heard from again after the 4th preseason game was sort of like predicting the sun will come up tomorrow.

I thought of you when that pick was made.  I couldn't remember which round you said, but I knew I'd have to eat crow.

Good prediction.  My prediction that the Colts wouldn't draft a QB and pick up someone that would never be heard from again after the 4th preseason game was sort of like predicting the sun will come up tomorrow.

Well, I did stretch it having him go in the second, but people forget he ran a pro offense and put up significant junior year numbers. 

Mannion had a great junior season (4,662 yards, 37 TDs, 66.3 completion percentage) but struggled as a senior (3,164 yards, 15 TDs, 62.3 completion percentage).  He was a four-year starter, has excellent size (6-foot-5½, 229 pounds) and played in a pro-style attack at Oregon State.

I will make a bold prediction. 

The 2 obvious quarterbacks will be taken in the first round. 

But no quarterback will be taken in the second.

I really believe that too. 

You called that one right!   Grayson and Mannion in round 3, Bryce Petty round 4, and Brett Hundley round 5.  Unfortunately these guys are all backup material.  And those below are camp arms.  Doubt more than 1 makes a 53 man roster, and more than a couple make a PS.

Its been a little over a month and I can still honestly say I have not given 1 thought TIL NOW about who a 3rd string PS QB will be....Still a couple months til TC starts...Perhaps I should make my way down to the complex and try out, I got a good arm, I figure I got as good a shot at making the PS :funny:

You called that one right!   Grayson and Mannion in round 3, Bryce Petty round 4, and Brett Hundley round 5.  Unfortunately these guys are all backup material.  And those below are camp arms.  Doubt more than 1 makes a 53 man roster, and more than a couple make a PS.

Because they played in a more NFL-friendly system in college,  I give both Grayson and Mannion a decent shot at being more than back-ups.....    maybe not a great shot,  but a decent shot.

Petty and Hundley,  I think need to be handled with great patience....   it's going to come slowly...   they've got skill,  but no real practical experience in an NFL offense....      Patience will be the key....

Because they played in a more NFL-friendly system in college,  I give both Grayson and Mannion a decent shot at being more than back-ups.....    maybe not a great shot,  but a decent shot.

Petty and Hundley,  I think need to be handled with great patience....   it's going to come slowly...   they've got skill,  but no real practical experience in an NFL offense....      Patience will be the key....

To me, even Winston and Mariota have a tough row to hoe to stick, let alone the others.

It's a combo of skill set, experience, and organization.  It's hard to believe any of those guys will be Russell Wilson or Tom Brady; but it's true.  You need to take a look because you never know.  It's much easier to believe they may be the next David Carr, Tim Couch, David Klingler, Akili Smith, Jason Campbell, Matt Leinart, Rex Grossman,, Robert Griffin III; let alone a Charlie Frye, Quincy Carter, Kordell Stewart, or Browning Nagle type,   This is just a small pinch off the top of potential QB's that never really made it in the NFL.  If getting a decent (let alone franchise) QB was so easy, every NFL team would have one.  We all know, they don't.  And the Colts are extremely fortunate in that regard.