Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drafting a Safety

What is your opinion on the safeties in this draft class? Who do you like, who would be a good fit for the Colts, etc?

Although I haven't watched much film two players that stand out are Kurtis Drummond and Anthony Harris. Neither of those two will probably make it to our 3rd pick so we'd have to take them in the 2nd.

I like Harris because of how Pagano wants interchangeable safeties. He's not amazing at anything, but well rounded. Two years ago he played more free safety and was a playmaker, while last year he was solid playing closer to the line.

I may be in the minority, but I love this safety class. Drummond will fall to our 3rd pick, though I think Anthony Harris will go late 2nd/early 3rd. I think Derron Smith fits well in our scheme, and I would love to take him in the 3rd if we could get him there. Adrian Amos in the 4th would be nice as well. Landon Collins isn't a great fit, but I think him at 29 is better then people are giving credit for here. 

Landon Collins and Gerod Holliman are the top two safeties in the draft. I also really like James Sample out of Louisville. 

I want no part Gerod Holliman.. Dude can't tackle for his life. Not something I want him anywhere near Indy. Defenetly not my #2 Safety. And not the #2 I've seen with many other analysts or scouts.

I really like Derron Smith. He'd be perfect for our scheme.

A late round/udfa that I like, based off of the limited film I've seen on him, is Julius White out of Rice. A little undersized, but could be a really good SS in a year or 2.

Clayton Geathers = Bob Sanders in a bigger body.

He's the safety I've got my eye on.

don't get my hopes up here i've been looking for a safety to fill the gapping hole in my colt loving heart since Bob left i really like Clayton and on tape he's got some great skills but i dunno if he's close to Sanders' level

I want no part Gerod Holliman.. Dude can't tackle for his life. Not something I want him anywhere near Indy. Defenetly not my #2 Safety. And not the #2 I've seen with many other analysts or scouts.

If you had talked to me a month ago I'd disagree with you. But after his Pro day I honestly can barely see him as a 4th rounder. If only his measurable equaled playmaker I could've easily forgotten about tackling ability as he seems to have a nose for the ball. But the minute he showed that he's below average as an athlete has me completely turned away.

Amos, Harris, Prewitt. Those are my guys right now and I'm loving Prewitt.

My top guy is Jaquiski Tartt. Pagano likes interchangeable safeties, and he's the one guy who has the body and skill set of a box safety, but can also hold his own in coverage. Plus he lays the wood. I hope we get him.

Derron Smith is the best safety in terms of coverage ability. He reminds me a lot of Jimmy Ward who a lot of us wanted last year. I'm not sure if he's like Earl Thomas though, in the sense that he's a FS at heart, but can dominate in the box too. But the Colts have met with him so he could be the selection

I also like what Cody Prewitt brings to the table. He seems pretty close to the mold we want. He's a big hitter who can come downhill and thump, but he knows what he's doing in coverage and can trick QB's into thinking a guy is open.

Those are my big 3. After that I like Damarious Randall, Anthony Harris, and Adrian Amos.

My top guy is Jaquiski Tartt. Pagano likes interchangeable safeties, and he's the one guy who has the body and skill set of a box safety, but can also hold his own in coverage. Plus he lays the wood. I hope we get him.

Derron Smith is the best safety in terms of coverage ability. He reminds me a lot of Jimmy Ward who a lot of us wanted last year. I'm not sure if he's like Earl Thomas though, in the sense that he's a FS at heart, but can dominate in the box too. But the Colts have met with him so he could be the selection

I also like what Cody Prewitt brings to the table. He seems pretty close to the mold we want. He's a big hitter who can come downhill and thump, but he knows what he's doing in coverage and can trick QB's into thinking a guy is open.

Those are my big 3. After that I like Damarious Randall, Anthony Harris, and Adrian Amos.

There were 18 teams that attended Tartts Pro Day yesterday(or the day before), but for some reason it does not list who the teams were so I'm kind of stuck as to whether or not the Colts showed any interest.  Maybe they'll update it later I suppose.

I'm okay with Derron Smith, although I think he lacks a little courage when it comes to defending the run. 

I have seen him stick his nose in there a every now and then though.

There were 18 teams that attended Tartts Pro Day yesterday(or the day before), but for some reason it does not list who the teams were so I'm kind of stuck as to whether or not the Colts showed any interest.  Maybe they'll update it later I suppose.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/jaquiski_tartt_robert_clark_he.html

That link says 24 teams, and that is a  lot for just 2 players. Doesn't list the teams. But this guy improved on his 40 time and ran a 4.46. 4.46 for a guy who's 6'1" and 221? Yeah the Colts really should be looking hard at him.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/jaquiski_tartt_robert_clark_he.html

That link says 24 teams, and that is a  lot for just 2 players. Doesn't list the teams. But this guy improved on his 40 time and ran a 4.46. 4.46 for a guy who's 6'1" and 221? Yeah the Colts really should be looking hard at him.

I read the original link from NFL.com, which states 18 teams.  Either way that's a lot of interest.

I'd pencil in Safety in the 3rd round.  I like the 3rd round crowd.  While the top few will likely be gone, I like them in this order:

Damarious Randall, Arizona St.

Josh Shaw, USC

Eric Rowe, Utah

Derron Smith, Fresno St.

Adrian Amos, Penn St.

Ibraheim Campbell, Northwestern

I love Tartt but I just don't think he is going to be there for us sadly... We will either have to waste our 1st on him or nothing...

Prewitt right now is my guy I'm loving everything about him.  Not huge on Smith or Randall, but love Amos and Harris.