Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis Says He'll be ready for training camp.

GAColtsFan

im concerned mathis wont have that same burst and speend

I'm not expecting it.  A 5 sack season would be a big accomplishment for him, in my opinion.  At his age, coming off such a major injury that is such a key thing for a guy whose game is built on speed and explosion, that doesn't bode well.

He won't.

I'd say that's highly speculative.  That said, the only thing we can do at this point is speculate. 

An Achilles injury is serious business but ligament-based knee injuries can be much trickier (particularly ACL injuries, as the ACL plays a pivotal role in providing knee stability during explosive, football-based movements).

Terrell Suggs made a spectacular comeback after tearing his Achilles.  He was back playing in months (5-6 months).  While Mathis is older than Suggs, he is still an athlete that is in incredible physical shape.  That fitness will only aid in his recovery. 

I'd say that's highly speculative.  That said, the only thing we can do at this point is speculate. 

An Achilles injury is serious business but ligament-based knee injuries can be much trickier (particularly ACL injuries, as the ACL plays a pivotal role in providing knee stability during explosive, football-based movements).

Terrell Suggs made a spectacular comeback after tearing his Achilles.  He was back playing in months (5-6 months).  While Mathis is older than Suggs, he is still an athlete that is in incredible physical shape.  That fitness will only aid in his recovery. 

Your T-Sizzle commentary notes actually cheered me up a little bit zibby43. Thanks man. I know every athlete's body is different when coming off a serious injury, but Mathis is one of my favorites on the pass rushing front & I need some good news after losing Reggie Wayne forever off our roster.

I just wanna see Robert on the field even if he can't go full boar right now. It's a psychological shot to the chemistry arm to me. I love Robert man. I just wanna see him laughing & interacting with his coaches & teammates man. 

You don't know that. Seemingly every year now players come back like new after ACL tears. Yes, Mathis is old but he's also a super athlete. Time will tell.

How about that Adrian Peterson guys recovery?

What Peterson did is an exception, not the norm, still, no reason to completely count RM out yet

You're right, my bad.

What for FCF? You didn't do anything wrong. In fact, I appreciate the update on his health status. Now, if I could just hear any news on RB Vick Ballard's condition for this season, I'd be really pleased. That's another thread topic I know. 

What for FCF? You didn't do anything wrong. In fact, I appreciate the update on his health status. Now, if I could just hear any news on RB Vick Ballard's condition for this season, I'd be really pleased. That's another thread topic I know. 

I was just stating my topic says RM said he'll be ready for camp and the article actually says he plans to be back. I guess there is a fine line here, but he is not running yet. I just didn't want to appear to be misleading.

Thanks SW

The first step toward making that happen, however, is getting back on the field, and while he's still not to the point where he's running, Robert Mathis does expect to be ready for the start of training camp.  Whether or not that actually happens is something that we'll be keeping an eye on this offseason.

small_stampedeblue.com.minimal.pngMore from Stampede Blue

I'll believe it when I see it

The man's got the HEART of a giant! You might very well see it, TKnight24 and others. Sometimes the mind controls the body no matter what the injury. If he gets a clean bill of health in his mind ... watch out ... the burden on his shoulders may be liken to a piece of dust. I surely hope that will be the case. Assume "beast mode", Robert Mathis! You have many friends praying and hoping that very thing comes to fruition.

Not only is this Forum awash with football savvy experts, it contains a high percentage of medical guru's.

Clearly time will tell, but I have more faith in Robert's assessment than any budding columnist from the Indianapolis Lancet.

And what a shocker to have a predomninantly pessimistic set of responses. At first I thought I'd logged into the wrong Forum.

Heal well young man, and show that a fanstic technique and a smart experienced mind can compensate for age and injury.

Just don't be trying for no more babies.

Your T-Sizzle commentary notes actually cheered me up a little bit zibby43. Thanks man. I know every athlete's body is different when coming off a serious injury, but Mathis is one of my favorites on the pass rushing front & I need some good news after losing Reggie Wayne forever off our roster.

I just wanna see Robert on the field even if he can't go full boar right now. It's a psychological shot to the chemistry arm to me. I love Robert man. I just wanna see him laughing & interacting with his coaches & teammates man. 

My pleasure, southwest1!  Thanks for the kind words.

And I agree.  Mathis is one of those "glue guys."  He's one of the most important leaders on the team.  Having him back and healthy will help to fill the leadership void created by Redding's departure.

I'll elaborate a bit on my earlier comments re: Achilles tendon injuries as I do have a tiny bit of experience in the realm of orthopedic surgery.

Before ultimately choosing another career path, I had the privilege of working with the Colts' orthopedic surgeons for a few months. 

I was fortunate enough to meet several Colts players (including both Mathis and #18).  I spent at least two days per week in the operating room watching a wide variety of orthopedic surgical procedures - ACL reconstructions, arthroscopic meniscus repairs, hamstring re-attachments (imagine the sight of someone cut from their butt cheek to the back of their kneecap and a surgeon scraping muscle tissue of the back of a femur with a tool reminiscent of an ice pick), etc.

ACL tears suck.  You wouldn't believe how fragile/insignificant the anterior cruciate ligament looks.  Yet, despite its unimpressive appearance, it is vitally important for athletes because it provides knee stability during running, jumping, cutting, etc.  The recovery timetable for those undergoing ACL replacement/repair really varies. 

With Achilles repairs, 80 out of 100 patients are able to return to their previous lifestyles (including playing professional sports) at 100% capacity.  

The likelihood of a 100% recovery depends on many factors and age is only/merely one of them. 

Another essential component of recovery is rehab.  The fitter the patient, the more intensive the treatment, the better the prognosis.

Mathis is an elite athlete.  He has access to the best doctors, therapists, and rehab resources in the country.  These are all factors that will aid in his full recovery.

Other factors working in Robert's favor: he had his Achilles repair promptly after the injury; he has not had previous Achilles injuries.   

My pleasure, southwest1!  Thanks for the kind words.

And I agree.  Mathis is one of those "glue guys."  He's one of the most important leaders on the team.  Having him back and healthy will help to fill the leadership void created by Redding's departure.

I'll elaborate a bit on my earlier comments re: Achilles tendon injuries as I do have a tiny bit of experience in the realm of orthopedic surgery.

Before ultimately choosing another career path, I had the privilege of working with the Colts' orthopedic surgeons for a few months. 

I was fortunate enough to meet several Colts players (including both Mathis and #18).  I spent at least two days per week in the operating room watching a wide variety of orthopedic surgical procedures - ACL reconstructions, arthroscopic meniscus repairs, hamstring re-attachments (imagine the sight of someone cut from their butt cheek to the back of their kneecap and a surgeon scraping muscle tissue of the back of a femur with a tool reminiscent of an ice pick), etc.

ACL tears suck.  You wouldn't believe how fragile/insignificant the anterior cruciate ligament looks.  Yet, despite its unimpressive appearance, it is vitally important for athletes because it provides knee stability during running, jumping, cutting, etc.  The recovery timetable for those undergoing ACL replacement/repair really varies. 

With Achilles repairs, 80 out of 100 patients are able to return to their previous lifestyles (including playing professional sports) at 100% capacity.  

The likelihood of a 100% recovery depends on many factors and age is only/merely one of them. 

Another essential component of recovery is rehab.  The fitter the patient, the more intensive the treatment, the better the prognosis.

Mathis is an elite athlete.  He has access to the best doctors, therapists, and rehab resources in the country.  These are all factors that will aid in his full recovery.

Other factors working in Robert's favor: he had his Achilles repair promptly after the injury; he has not had previous Achilles injuries.   

Thanks for the update and the insight.We all hope he can come back and perform at a high level.

My pleasure, southwest1! Thanks for the kind words.

And I agree. Mathis is one of those "glue guys." He's one of the most important leaders on the team. Having him back and healthy will help to fill the leadership void created by Redding's departure.

I was fortunate enough to meet several Colts players (including both Mathis and #18). I spent at least two days per week in the operating room watching a wide variety of orthopedic surgical procedures - ACL reconstructions, arthroscopic meniscus repairs, hamstring re-attachments (imagine the sight of someone cut from their butt cheek to the back of their kneecap and a surgeon scraping muscle tissue of the back of a femur with a tool reminiscent of an ice pick), etc.

ACL tears suck. You wouldn't believe how fragile/insignificant the anterior cruciate ligament looks. Yet, despite its unimpressive appearance, it is vitally important for athletes because it provides knee stability during running, jumping, cutting, etc. The recovery timetable for those undergoing ACL replacement/repair really varies.

Another essential component of recovery is rehab. The fitter the patient, the more intensive the treatment, the better the prognosis.

Mathis is an elite athlete. He has access to the best doctors, therapists, and rehab resources in the country. These are all factors that will aid in his full recovery.

Nice work sir. Thanks.

The man's got the HEART of a giant! You might very well see it, TKnight24 and others. Sometimes the mind controls the body no matter what the injury. If he gets a clean bill of health in his mind ... watch out ... the burden on his shoulders may be liken to a piece of dust. I surely hope that will be the case. Assume "beast mode", Robert Mathis! You have many friends praying and hoping that very thing comes to fruition.

Not saying he won't be ready, just saying I'll believe it when I see it. Of course he'll say he'll be ready to get the fans fired up, but only him, family, and his doctors know what's really going on

With you on that Brother. Pulling for Vick to make it back.

With you on that Brother. Pulling for Vick to make it back.

Bowen: This was a popular question for Chuck Pagano and Ryan Grigson at the Combine last week. Ballard is coming off two season-ending injuries, both non-contact instances. The “good” news this time around is the injury occurred early in Training Camp allowing for plenty of rehab time. Now, at the same time, you have no idea how Ballard is going to react physically, (or maybe more importantly, mentally) coming off two devastating injuries. He was an extremely productive back in 2012 as a sixth-round rookie. Grigson talked at the Combine about the “core traits” Ballard brings as a runner. Pagano said Ballard is right on schedule with his rehab. Ballard has to be treated as an unknown heading into 2015, one that could reap some serious benefits though. Only thing ive found.

Four words.

Hes.     Not.     Running.       Yet.

And once he does,  he has to be able to eventually put tremendous pressure on his achillies so he turn the corner on a pass rush.

He's a long, long way from being ready to play NFL football.

Hope for the best,  just don't expect it.

A couple years ago he said his feet and legs hurt him terribly. Followed by his "Issue".

Four words.

Hes.     Not.     Running.       Yet.

And once he does,  he has to be able to eventually put tremendous pressure on his achillies so he turn the corner on a pass rush.

He's a long, long way from being ready to play NFL football.

Hope for the best,  just don't expect it.

Four words....

It is only April......