Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Options in each round

Obviously who gets chosen in the rounds prior will change picks later in the draft, tried to cover most positions with players i think are likely to go each round

Round 1:

Option #1- DL Jordan Phillips

Option #2- DL Carl Davis

Option #3- OL Ereck Flowers

Option #4- OL Cameron Erving

Option #5- OL Andrus Peat

Option #6- CB Kevin Johnson

Option #7- ILB Bernardrick McKinney

Option #8- RB Melvin Gordon

Unlikely to be there to pick but if they are holly % players! DL Eddie Goldman; Malcolm Brown; OL DJ Humphries; TJ Clemmings; La’el Collins; ILB Eric Kendricks; S Landon Collins (I put this here nervously because we don’t need another Landry!)

Round 2:

Option #1- FS Gerod Holliman

Option #2- S Damarious Randall

Option #3- DL Michael Bennett

Option #4- DE Henry Anderson

Option #5- OL AJ Cann

Option #6- CB Quentin Rollins

Option #7- CB Byron Jones         

Round 3:

Option #1- RB Mike Davis

Option #2- RB Jeremy Langford

Option #3- S Anthony Harris

Option #4- S Adrian Amos

Option #5- WR Tyler Lockett      

Round 4:

Option #1- CB/S Eric Rowe

Option #2- S Cody Prewitt

Option #3- WR Stefon Diggs

Option #4- G Laken Tomlinson

Option #5- LB Taiwan Jones

Option #6- LB Jake Ryan

Round 5:

Option #1- DL Tyler Davison

Option #2- S Jordan Richards

Option #3- S James Sample

Option #4- OL Shaq Mason

Option #5- OL Jeremiah Telfer  

Option #6- LB Kyle Emanuel

Round 6:

Option #1- LB Bryce Hager

Option #2- WR Ty Montgomery

Option #3- DL David Perry

Option #4- DL Derrick Lott

Option #5- CB Cam Thomas

Round 7:

Im sure a few of these guys above will drop into this last round…

Holliman would be a great Free safety of the future but we would still have a huge void at SS for this year. I think we could pull a 2012 draft ( two TE's in a row) and draft a safety in the 2nd and the 3rd. If we get a D lineman in the first I wouldn't mind this.

technically he's a SS but he played FS all of last year. We need a run support safety.

Explains the INT's

You thinking Amos in the 2nd? 

I think Dewey has the size and ability to compete for that SS spot. The kid is very intelligent 

I don't agree with all the names, but I like your method. I feel like that's how teams do it; have a number of targets by round, place them in order, and hope some of them are at your draft position. 

I wouldn't draft Gerod Holliman at all though. 

I feel it is the best way to do it, you may have multiple guys at the positions of need in the same round but separated by someone else rated higher at a different position. More logical to me so you don't overlook the guys that a free falling down the draft board. 

I know a few are in rounds that might be too soon or too late but no one can pick the draft because there are 32 teams who decisions change based on the other 31 teams picking before. its good fun & i love researching and finding players that make you wonder how they will do in the team and in the NFL in general. The draft is too far away!!

I feel it is the best way to do it, you may have multiple guys at the positions of need in the same round but separated by someone else rated higher at a different position. More logical to me so you don't overlook the guys that a free falling down the draft board. 

I know a few are in rounds that might be too soon or too late but no one can pick the draft because there are 32 teams who decisions change based on the other 31 teams picking before. its good fun & i love researching and finding players that make you wonder how they will do in the team and in the NFL in general. The draft is too far away!!

It's amazing how much of a science there is to something that is, by and large, a crapshoot. Every team has a lot of busts, and a lot of steals. Even the best GM isn't above drafting a complete bust in the 1st, and even the worst isn't below finding a stud in the 7th. 

It's amazing how much of a science there is to something that is, by and large, a crapshoot. Every team has a lot of busts, and a lot of steals. Even the best GM isn't above drafting a complete bust in the 1st, and even the worst isn't below finding a stud in the 7th. 

I think we are due a 7th Round stud! or UDFA either one works for me! been a while since we have found a gem late in the 7th

Im still pulling for Dewey the UDFA we pick up last year to really push for that starting job and make it his own

Well of corse it isnt what happens...grigs and pagano im sure do a much better job at sorting the players they want and need, plus they get paid damn well to do so and get it right. As a fan, out of the players ive looked at, these are the players i would like the team to draft, obviously im not paid to be a scout and organise every player from 1 - 300 and im not claiming to be, this is just a few players i have liked and this seemed the best way for me to do it. Backing up your 1st option is always good, so i decided to do it 4 or 5 more times.

Maybe something constuctive like a few extra players to add in or take at for various reasons obviously or a better system to do it short of ranking every player coming out of college....

Explains the INT's

You thinking Amos in the 2nd? 

I think Dewey has the size and ability to compete for that SS spot. The kid is very intelligent 

Dewey might be good. But he hasn't done anything yet. I think we need a good talent at SS. I'd rather get Jarquiski Tartt in the 2nd and the best safety available in the 3rd.

Limiting a round down to 5-7 players isn't smart and doesn't actually happen.

Not 5-7, but it's going to vary by the round. For me personally, I am not high on more than 5 guys that I think could realistically be there in the first round. If those guys are all gone, and nobody fell that was supposed to go really early, I would trade down and move on to the next target range. Not much is black and white in the draft process. 

Dewey might be good. But he hasn't done anything yet. I think we need a good talent at SS. I'd rather get Jarquiski Tartt in the 2nd and the best safety available in the 3rd.

This was meant to be a reply....

Oh wow i cant believe i completely left him out!! How could i forget a last name like that!! I agree i would have put him next safety off the board after collins, but realisticly team that miss out on collins in the first will pick him up pretty quick in the second.

I think if we can get him in the second, maybe a 5/6 rounder on the other safety (next best off the board) will be better if your thinking to develop someone to take over adams, doesnt make sence to draft someone with and earlier pick if hes not going to affect the team imediately. Who knows what the safety class will be like next year...

Jake Fisher should be an option in round 1, the guy can play. Also Rowe and Holliman should be switched.

hes good at the LT, are you thinking flip him over to RT? or plug him in at LG and kick mewhort out to RT

or do we not resign costanzo and have him in next year?

ill be honest i havent really had a look at jake.

Rowe in the 2nd??? i did think he would be a 3rd or 4th but not a 2nd round

Yeah Rowe gonna be off the board by our 3rd pick. It's funny, I didn't think of him as a second rounder either, and to be honest I really haven't watched him much at all. I'm just going off what Troy Pauline said, which was that "most feel there's no way he gets out of the second round."

hes good at the LT, are you thinking flip him over to RT? or plug him in at LG and kick mewhort out to RT

or do we not resign costanzo and have him in next year?

I'd keep Costanzo and flip "The Vanilla Gorilla" to RT. That's where he played his junior year at Oregon, so he's got experience playing on the right side. He has good game tape and tested extremely well in his measurables - his SPARQ score was 94.2, which is tremendous. He'll go somewhere between 20 and 40 in the draft. 

Yeah Rowe gonna be off the board by our 3rd pick. It's funny, I didn't think of him as a second rounder either, and to be honest I really haven't watched him much at all. I'm just going off what Troy Pauline said, which was that "most feel there's no way he gets out of the second round."

I'd keep Costanzo and flip "The Vanilla Gorilla" to RT. That's where he played his junior year at Oregon, so he's got experience playing on the right side. He has good game tape and tested extremely well in his measurables - his SPARQ score was 94.2, which is tremendous. He'll go somewhere between 20 and 40 in the draft. 

im thinking short of all the DL going off the board before pick 29 we get the defensive side of the ball right. if he or another OL and still there around the 40 pick mark in the 2nd round we should try trade up to go get him or someone else to solidify that RT spot, we have an extra 6th and 7th round this year so use them as trade ammo to upgrade our 2nd round pick.

OR

same thing to upgrade our 3rd and go get rowe if hes still sitting there early in the round...

Holliman would be a great Free safety of the future but we would still have a huge void at SS for this year. I think we could pull a 2012 draft ( two TE's in a row) and draft a safety in the 2nd and the 3rd. If we get a D lineman in the first I wouldn't mind this.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. As much as Pagano likes interchangeable safeties, I still think you need a SS and a FS. They don't always have to play those exact positions, but you at least need guys who have those skillsets.

I think Tartt in round 2, and Derron Smith in round 3 would be a steal. If you think about it, after Collins, Tartt is the only true SS of note besides Durell Eskridge. I also like Tartt and Prewitt as a pair. You can't sell me on Holliman though. You can't coach basic football to a guy in his 20s. Tackling is literally the most fundamental aspect of football.

I disagree that Landon Collins is another Laron Landry. I am not sure that Collins a Pro Bowl caliber safety, but he would represent a vast improvement over Landry. Collins has great size and athleticism. I think he will fair better in coverage than most seem to give him credit for. If Collins is available, I would not hesitate in making him the pick. 

I wouldn't be opposed to that. As much as Pagano likes interchangeable safeties, I still think you need a SS and a FS. They don't always have to play those exact positions, but you at least need guys who have those skillsets.

I think Tartt in round 2, and Derron Smith in round 3 would be a steal. If you think about it, after Collins, Tartt is the only true SS of note besides Durell Eskridge. I also like Tartt and Prewitt as a pair. You can't sell me on Holliman though. You can't coach basic football to a guy in his 20s. Tackling is literally the most fundamental aspect of football.

Tartt and smith would be awesome additions but i think both will be gone before we get to pick

If either Andrus Peat or La El Collins falls to within 5 picks of our 29th, we'll trade up to get him.

if we get a OL in the first, we definately need a S in the second when do we draft a DL? a 3rd rounder most likley wont beat out josh chapman out in camp...

I disagree that Landon Collins is another Laron Landry. I am not sure that Collins a Pro Bowl caliber safety, but he would represent a vast improvement over Landry. Collins has great size and athleticism. I think he will fair better in coverage than most seem to give him credit for. If Collins is available, I would not hesitate in making him the pick. 

if he plays true SS he has a pro bowl shot. otherwise he will be getting burnt left right and center, even if he covers athletic tight ends i think most will fancy their chances. if he plays in the box and is another run stopper he will be a welcome addition. put him against WR in the slots 1on1 he will be another Landry

IDK about Collins. The Colts have met with him so maybe they feel he can drop back into coverage when they need him like Kam Chancellor, but they'll mostly user him as an enforcer. Wouldn't be shocked to see the Colts take him.

i doubt he falls to us...too many teams want that Kam Chancellor type safety after watching he own games

Obviously who gets chosen in the rounds prior will change picks later in the draft, tried to cover most positions with players i think are likely to go each round

Round 1:

Option #1- DL Jordan Phillips

Option #2- DL Carl Davis

Option #3- OL Ereck Flowers

Option #4- OL Cameron Erving

Option #5- OL Andrus Peat

Option #6- CB Kevin Johnson

Option #7- ILB Bernardrick McKinney

Option #8- RB Melvin Gordon

Unlikely to be there to pick but if they are holly % players! DL Eddie Goldman; Malcolm Brown; OL DJ Humphries; TJ Clemmings; La’el Collins; ILB Eric Kendricks; S Landon Collins (I put this here nervously because we don’t need another Landry!)

Round 2:

Option #1- FS Gerod Holliman

Option #2- S Damarious Randall

Option #3- DL Michael Bennett

Option #4- DE Henry Anderson

Option #5- OL AJ Cann

Option #6- CB Quentin Rollins

Option #7- CB Byron Jones         

Round 3:

Option #1- RB Mike Davis

Option #2- RB Jeremy Langford

Option #3- S Anthony Harris

Option #4- S Adrian Amos

Option #5- WR Tyler Lockett      

Round 4:

Option #1- CB/S Eric Rowe

Option #2- S Cody Prewitt

Option #3- WR Stefon Diggs

Option #4- G Laken Tomlinson

Option #5- LB Taiwan Jones

Option #6- LB Jake Ryan

Round 5:

Option #1- DL Tyler Davison

Option #2- S Jordan Richards

Option #3- S James Sample

Option #4- OL Shaq Mason

Option #5- OL Jeremiah Telfer  

Option #6- LB Kyle Emanuel

Round 6:

Option #1- LB Bryce Hager

Option #2- WR Ty Montgomery

Option #3- DL David Perry

Option #4- DL Derrick Lott

Option #5- CB Cam Thomas

Round 7:

Im sure a few of these guys above will drop into this last round…

Last year I was heavily involved in mocks etc.. this years I'm just reading everyone's contributions.  My question, is your options based more upon BPA, or need?  does scheme fit and personal conduct/attitude affect their slots? Injury history, etc... ? Just curious.  I know Grigson has to consider all of these and more in his board.  I know last year I didn't account for these things (or the hardest thing to account for, if my draft slot was worth more to another team in a trade when on the clock).  I do appreciate your effort and will check out some of these guys and what folks think about them.

the draft is a 7 month process for teams, mainly beginning with teams scout group and progressing from there.  Some teams go through all the items avaiable (talent, measurabkes, interviews, background chacks, injury history, scheme fit, etc..) to grade players by round, in order.  I heard a story that Green Bay had only 20 players that graded as first round picks in 2005.  When their pick, at #24, came up, there was one guy on that list still available.  Aaron Rodgers.  They already had Brett Favre!  ARod might have to sit for 2-3 years or more!  some in the room didn't want to waste the 1st rounder on a guy that might sit for years.  Ted Thompson got Rodgers agent on the phone, and made him wait until almost the whole 15 minutes was up while they were on the clock.  Nobody called GB to trade, so Thompson went with his board, and not for need.

I point out that 'Baaaaad Man' of Quarterbacking is now one of (if not the) premier QB's in the NFL.  And staying with the board, and not need, gave GB that QB to follow Favre.  Just saying...

ee25687bdad83ffb2d74923e46d4ad7e.jpg

But Thompson didn't...

Here's mine, for a few rounds, anyway (resulting expected selection is bolded in each round):

First:

1) Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest

2) Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami

3) Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford

4) Jalen Collins, CB, LSU

5) D.j. Humphries, OT, Florida

That takes care of Round 1.  It's basically Best Available Athlete at a position of need, as I see it.  I don't like Landon Collins (Landry 2.0 might be accurate).  I don't see DL, ILB, or OLB as enough of a need, and the players who could fall are not preferable to those above.

Second:

1) Donovan Smith, OT, Penn St.

2) Eric Rowe, S, Utah

3) Steven Nelson, CB, Oregon St.

4) Jake Fisher, OT, Oregon

5) David Johnson, RB, Northern Iowa

6) Damarious Randall, S, Arizona St.

7) Quinten Rollins, CB, Miami (Ohio)

I've fallen in love with Smith as our RT of the future.  Obviously, if we end up with an OT in Round 1, we skip that position here.  Rowe will be a good safery in our scheme, IMHO, but Rotoworld is now calling him a 2nd Round lock, making him unlikely to be available.  Nelson is the last guy in this draft that I really love to upgrade our #3 boundary CB position.  Fisher shouldn't rise as much as some think, but he shouldn't last to here.

Third:

1) Damarious Randall, S, Arizona St.

2) Quinten Rollins, CB, Miami (Ohio)

3) Josh Shaw, S, USC 

4) Derron Smith, S, Fresno St.

5) Davis Tull, OLB, Tennessee Chattanooga

6) Ibraheim Campbell, S, Northwestern

7) Henry Anderson, DL, Stanford

8) Ben Heeney, ILB, Kansas

Obviously, this is where I see the safety value lying...

Fourth:

1) Davis Tull, OLB, Tennessee Chattanooga

2) Henry Anderson, DL, Stanford

3) Ibraheim Campbell, S, Northwestern

4) Ben Heeney, ILB, Kansas

5) Mike Hull, ILB, Penn St.

6) Jake Ryan, LB, Michigan

7) Grady Jarrett, DL, Clemson

8) Gabe Wright, DL, Auburn

9) Tye Sambrailo, OT, Colorado St.

10) Buck Allen, RB, USC

And here's where the ILB value kicks in...