Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"Mandate" to STOP THE RUN ...

ColtRider

I cannot tell Colts Fans enough how Jim Irsay's comments were music to my ears. Check out his comments on Colts Closeup Extra : Mandate to Stop the Run while visiting Colts.com! I think the following three positions are what Mr. Irsay is talking about ...

1. Stop the run - DT, S, ILB

2. Create HAVOC with speed and pace of the game - Offensively & Defensely

3. Incorporate strategies into the speed and pace by player versatility

If the Colts can accomplish these invaluable approaches it's going to be a long season for their adversaries.

Comments? ...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teams have worn our D down with running the ball. We gave reasonable resistance for a half or so, but eventually the D tired and we gave up chunks. We need to establish a punishing running game and keep the ball longer. This means we need road grader O lineman. Establish the run and throw when they stack the box.

Now, on the other side, a dominating NT or DE is required. Carl Davis or Goldman can fill that role. Also, I posted on another theme that taking Marcus Peters and having two shut down CBs follows what Seattle has done. By shutting down the other team's WRs the D line has more time to pressure the QB and/or more time to stop the run. Just a thought. comments?

Teams have worn our D down with running the ball. We gave reasonable resistance for a half or so, but eventually the D tired and we gave up chunks. We need to establish a punishing running game and keep the ball longer. This means we need road grader O lineman. Establish the run and throw when they stack the box.

Now, on the other side, a dominating NT or DE is required. Carl Davis or Goldman can fill that role. Also, I posted on another theme that taking Marcus Peters and having two shut down CBs follows what Seattle has done. By shutting down the other team's WRs the D line has more time to pressure the QB and/or more time to stop the run. Just a thought. comments?

I concur.

"We either get it fixed [stopping opponents from running all over us] or somebody else will be getting it fixed." --Chuck Pagano At least, the coaching staff knows what's at stake & on the same page. 

I love that our owner Jim Irsay is so smart about what it takes to win in this league & that he demands production, improvements, & results.

I have confidence in Pagano still. Legit confidence not fake platitudes or flowery cliches before they get a pink slip BTW.

I think a big part of this is scheming.  I did some research on Manusky's previous coaching stats as a defensive coordinator and I've been left highly unimpressed.  I think we were ranked top 10 for run defense before the regular season Pats game last year, but when the same team can gash you for so many yards in consecutive games, I think it comes down to scheming.  I think coaches who really know their Xs and Os like Belichick or Jason Garrett can find ways to beat Manusky's defense.  I do note that I don't watch film extensively, so I can't claim what I'm saying is the ultimate truth.  But that's just how it seems to me.  Manusky's defense can be figured out and beaten relatively easily, in my opinion

Maybe our D wouldn't fade so much if our Offense could sustain some decent drives.....

My feelings exactly.  Remember, in the AFC Championship game it was only 17-7.  Our offense couldn't stay on the filed and the D got worn down resulting in a 45-7 shellacking.

This goes not only to being able to stop the run but also running the ball effectively.

Anyone who doesn't think running the ball and stopping the run isn't a big part of

modern day football hasn't watched the playoffs recently.

This goes not only to being able to stop the run but also running the ball effectively.

Anyone who doesn't think running the ball and stopping the run isn't a big part of

modern day football hasn't watched the playoffs recently.

Exactly. And it seems like everyone focuses on the fact that the Colts had trouble stopping the run but ignored the fact that the Colts couldn't really run the ball either.

When the Colts were looking good defensively last year (weeks they played Ravens, Bengals) they did so with the offense controlling the ball and keeping the defense fresh enough to go out and make plays. Once that changed, the defense saw its performance take a hit.

Maybe our D wouldn't fade so much if our Offense could sustain some decent drives.....

Yeah, I wanna see the Great Wall Of China & mammoth strength protecting Luck up front. Success in this league starts & ends with a clean pocket & generating gigantic holes for the ground assault. 

Fixed that for you...

Obviously it's important for the run defense to get better, but the Pats are really the only team that's caused this issue.

They're the only team that abused us with the run. Others have had moderate success but we were able to adjust.

Stopping the run involves better coaching as well as players. Let's hope that also is held to task.

I think a big part of this is scheming.  I did some research on Manusky's previous coaching stats as a defensive coordinator and I've been left highly unimpressed.  I think we were ranked top 10 for run defense before the regular season Pats game last year, but when the same team can gash you for so many yards in consecutive games, I think it comes down to scheming.  I think coaches who really know their Xs and Os like Belichick or Jason Garrett can find ways to beat Manusky's defense.  I do note that I don't watch film extensively, so I can't claim what I'm saying is the ultimate truth.  But that's just how it seems to me.  Manusky's defense can be figured out and beaten relatively easily, in my opinion

Yeah if you take out the Pats game and replace it with the averages from the rest of the season, the run defense goes from 18th to 12th(?). That 257 yard outburst was an outlier.

And then, talking about scheming, the way the Colts struggled to handle the double strong formations in the first game, and then the wham and angle blocking in the second game, I think the issue is really more with coaching and execution than it is with personnel. Not that we couldn't stand to have better players in our front seven, but end of the day, whoever we have has to be deployed better and has to perform better.

They're the only team that abused us with the run. Others have had moderate success but we were able to adjust.

Stopping the run involves better coaching as well as players. Let's hope that also is held to task.

The Texans are the only other team that put up good numbers, and that first game we were up three scores and went nickel almost exclusively after the first quarter. I think Chapman played 8 snaps in that game. 

The Texans are the only other team that put up good numbers, and that first game we were up three scores and went nickel almost exclusively after the first quarter. I think Chapman played 8 snaps in that game.

That's my point, other teams had moderate success. But we adjusted well. Well, except for the Eagles, they ran better at the end of the game.

We made no useful adjustments against the Pats.

The Ravens put up good running numbers against us too. Forsett was running wild.

Fixed that for you...

Obviously it's important for the run defense to get better, but the Pats are really the only team that's caused this issue. 

100% Agree. What teams have the best line in the league? The ones that run all over us. IMO its simply good coaching and great OL that exploit this. I mean we played some good running backs and they weren't all able to run all over us. We need to improve no doubt...be more stout at the point of attack....I mean we even had problems drumming up much of a pass rush either so that was apparant. But its not like its everyone...just the better running teams in the league that have exploited it. We have to get better coaching, play, and I agree we have to sustain some drives to rest our guys or nothing will change. Combine the 3 and outs with the defensive issues up front and it was a recipe for disaster. Maybe NE doesn't break so many arm tackles...maybe we are fresh and in position like we are suppose to be....but our offense did jack squat against that defense and that was a big issue.

The Ravens put up good running numbers against us too. Forsett was running wild.

But we adjusted and stopped them when it counted. I know a lot of it has to do withe the lack of respect we have for Flacco versus what we have for Brady.

So, considering that we did pretty well against just about every team - are the Pats that much better? Yes, they match up better against us, I get that. But I still think their gameplanning to take advantage of those matchups blow our coaching schemes out of the water.

We'll change our personnel, but will our coaching ever match theirs? IMHO, our best hope is that Brady's skills diminish so we can gameplan them like every other team with mediocre QBs.

"I think a big part of this is scheming."

"I think it comes down to scheming."

Has anyone ever seen an arrow into another arrow in Archery? I JUST DID ... with this post from "21isSuperman"! Nice shot! :)

He had 42 yards, and most of that was on 1 carry. His gains were 0, 1, 29, 2, -1, and then I think one of his catches was ruled a lateral for another 11 yards. He had a few catches that went for some gains. And Bernard Pierce had two carries up the middle for 12 and 13 yards, but his other two carries went for a total of 5 yards. The averages look like they hurt us, but on balance, the run defense did a good job. 

Our offense dominated the clock, even though they didn't score a lot of points. It was a two score game halfway through the 4th quarter, and the Ravens couldn't keep trying to run the ball. I'll take that.

draft two 6'4 300+ pounders in goldman and philips. problem solved

To paraphrase Bill Polian, size has little to do with it.  It has to do with skill and whether or not they fit your system.  You could have Mount Cody on your roster, but if he doesn't fit your system, he won't be of much use.  The Colts had the leagues heaviest roster last year, but that size doesn't stop the run.  Ability and scheme fits do.

To paraphrase Bill Polian, size has little to do with it.  It has to do with skill and whether or not they fit your system.  You could have Mount Cody on your roster, but if he doesn't fit your system, he won't be of much use.  The Colts had the leagues heaviest roster last year, but that size doesn't stop the run.  Ability and scheme fits do.

you dont think goldman and philips would upgrade our Dline

I'm not sure.  I haven't read up on them very much.  But your post suggested that their size will make a huge difference.  I'm just saying size isn't the determining factor

oh no they have more then size. 

My feelings exactly. Remember, in the AFC Championship game it was only 17-7. Our offense couldn't stay on the filed and the D got worn down resulting in a 45-7 shellacking.

I also felt that dumb muffed punt was huge. I still can't believe cribs wore a visor on a rainy day selfish move .

"It has to do with skill and whether or not they fit your system."

"Ability and scheme fits do."

Hey, 21isSuperman & Superman ... You guys are killing me with this "Systematic/Schematic Football" relativity! It's MY kryptonite (weakness), too! :)

Exactly. Build the Monster since day one.

This is exactly the trouble with today's society. Whether it's sports or anything else is has to be "instant". Instant everything is nice to have. However, unrealistic when it comes to building things that last. 3 years is a fraction of time to building a "monster" so to speak that will endure for many more years after the fact. Especially "winning" sport franchises. The NFL is not a fast-food restaurant. Accept it and deal with it, IMO.

Fixed that for you...

Throw out the NE game our run D was 9th in the league in rush yards per game. It should be better this yr Jones healthy Hughes focused and the addition of Langford and Irving.

I'm not sure what are deal is with NE

Throw out the NE game our run D was 9th in the league in rush yards per game. It should be better this yr Jones healthy Hughes focused and the addition of Langford and Irving.

Exactly. The mandate should be "Stop The Patriots". Not saying we should overlook any team, or being arrogant enough to believe we're better than every other team.

IMHO, Pittsburgh was an aberration, they're not that much better. Dallas was a meaningless game.

NE embarrasses us home our away. Out played, severely out coached.

I'm getting to the point where I don't care if it's Goldman, Davis, Phillips, or Armstead, I just want them to draft someone in the first round who is going to be a monster that wreaks havoc on the line and stops teams from running all over us. I really hope the staff is looking hard at the D-Line

Coaching. Our coaching staff couldn't figure out their same game plan not once,

not twice but three frickin' times in a row!