Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Running game and today's league

It is a pretty common belief that running the ball is an antiquated tactic, and that today's rules give the advantage to the passing game.  This seemed to especially true when the Rams did their greatest show on turf.  Passing looked unstoppable.  I am questioning this however because Air attacks don't seem to be as dominant.  Are defenses catching up to the lower amount of contact by dbs and limits on pass rushers?   Besides the coverage linebackers, it is truly striking to see the size and speed of today's dbs.  Has it always been like that?  You can get defenders who run a 4.3 in the fourth round now.  That is scary.  It seems guys like Aaron Rodgers are not really imposing their will on people anymore.  Is it true that there are no such things as shut down corners?  I always thought that one on one a db wouldn't have a chance, but now you hear commentators talk about how zone defenses are suicidal and how you have to have an aggressive man coverage scheme.   I know passers are putting up record numbers and crazy stats, but at the same time I'm not seeing teams abuse defenses like that Ram's team did.  I know everything goes in cycles, and that defenses always adapt, but I did wonder if running became a permanent thing of the past.  It may not be a sole focus kind of attack anymore, but defenses have caught up enough for me to see the value of true balance.  About a 50/50 attack seems right to me.  Now with all those lighter defenders, it seems like a good idea to have the option of taking it right to them and seeing if they can tackle.  If any of you guys play chess, you know one of the most basic principles is controlling the middle of the board.   It gives you the most options.

I used to be an old OL.  I played for a little class3 school, and we had an unusual team because we had a boatload of size.  We had several three hundred pounders, and they came off the ball low and fast.  Something that always irritated me is that we would be blowing holes through these poor little class3 schools, and the coaches would throw the ball.  I would go to the huddle and tell our QB, hey we are blasting through these guys like the Red Sea, and the coach would have us go backwards and throw the ball.   GRRR  A grandmother with a walker could gain 20 yards with the holes I'm talking about.  Anyway, you can see my frustration about football shifting to the little guys. 

It is a pretty common belief that running the ball is an antiquated tactic, and that today's rules give the advantage to the passing game.  This seemed to especially true when the Rams did their greatest show on turf.  Passing looked unstoppable.  I am questioning this however because Air attacks don't seem to be as dominant.  Are defenses catching up to the lower amount of contact by dbs and limits on pass rushers?   Besides the coverage linebackers, it is truly striking to see the size and speed of today's dbs.  Has it always been like that?  You can get defenders who run a 4.3 in the fourth round now.  That is scary.  It seems guys like Aaron Rodgers are not really imposing their will on people anymore.  Is it true that there are no such things as shut down corners?  I always thought that one on one a db wouldn't have a chance, but now you hear commentators talk about how zone defenses are suicidal and how you have to have an aggressive man coverage scheme.   I know passers are putting up record numbers and crazy stats, but at the same time I'm not seeing teams abuse defenses like that Ram's team did.  I know everything goes in cycles, and that defenses always adapt, but I did wonder if running became a permanent thing of the past.  It may not be a sole focus kind of attack anymore, but defenses have caught up enough for me to see the value of true balance.  About a 50/50 attack seems right to me.  Now with all those lighter defenders, it seems like a good idea to have the option of taking it right to them and seeing if they can tackle.  If any of you guys play chess, you know one of the most basic principles is controlling the middle of the board.   It gives you the most options.

I used to be an old OL.  I played for a little class3 school, and we had an unusual team because we had a boatload of size.  We had several three hundred pounders, and they came off the ball low and fast.  Something that always irritated me is that we would be blowing holes through these poor little class3 schools, and the coaches would throw the ball.  I would go to the huddle and tell our QB, hey we are blasting through these guys like the Red Sea, and the coach would have us go backwards and throw the ball.   GRRR  A grandmother with a walker could gain 20 yards with the holes I'm talking about.  Anyway, you can see my frustration about football shifting to the little guys. 

I think the fans have a lot to do with the increase in passing. Not too many fans like a 10-7 or a 13-10 game. Action is what draws the paying customer in and the NFL knows this. The majority of rule changes (or should I say enforcement) has favored the offense. In turn the shut down defenders have become the elite position and are paid accordingly. The down side to that is the defenses are worn out in the 2nd half because their offenses go up and down the field.

I think the fans have a lot to do with the increase in passing. Not too many fans like a 10-7 or a 13-10 game. Action is what draws the paying customer in and the NFL knows this. The majority of rule changes (or should I say enforcement) has favored the offense. In turn the shut down defenders have become the elite position and are paid accordingly. The down side to that is the defenses are worn out in the 2nd half because their offenses go up and down the field.

I used to think the running game was an afterthought until I watched Seattle win the SB against Denver with a swarming defense which jammed the TE's & WR's routes in the 2013 season. It reminded me of the 85 Bears with an elite RB & a smothering defense who just wore down their opponent by the middle of the 3rd qtr. 

I always believed in the ground game & I still do, but I was falsely convinced that the Broncos high octane offense was going to outscore a stingy defense from the Pacific NW. Boy was I way off base. SB XLVIII reminded me that there is no substitute for a stout running game & a defense that closes distance quickly & hits hard all night long. Passing has it's place, but true intimidation comes thru a punishing defense.