Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defjamz 2.0 Mock (Semi-Final)

I'll probably do one final one on draft day. But here is my latest attempt:

Round 1: Jordan Phillips, NT Oklahoma

This pick could also be Eddie Goldman, but it depends on what the Broncos and Cowboys do. Phillips as an athletic NT who can also play DE on certain snaps, and instantly upgrades the line. He shows everything you would want to see a NT do.

Round 2: Jaquiski Tartt, SS Samford

This may seem to early, but the Colts have a huge need at safety and Tartt is a phenomenal player at a position of need. It's hard to find a lot of tape on him but he's a missile in run support and can hold his own in coverage. His closing speed is ridiculous though. He's about the same size as Landon Collins at around 6'1", 218 and ran well at the combine with a 4.53. Possibly the biggest sleeper in this draft. He's a day 1 starter. Pagano will love this guy.

Round 3: Ameer Abdullah, RB Wisconsin

I was tempted to not look at RB until the later rounds with Ballard, Gore, and Herron on the roster but Abdullah could be great value here. An Underrated between the tackles runner who had some fumbling issues in college, but can fix that in the pros. Could be the heir apparent to Gore once he retires. Or if we eventually let Boom go, Abdullah can be a change of pace back.

Round 4: Stephone Anthony, ILB Clemson

My opinion of him changed. I still think he's the most complete ILB in the draft, but he's also the rawest and doesn't have the natural instincts of Perryman, Kendricks,etc... But I don't think a LB will go in the 1st round, so everyone gets pushed down a round. Erik Kendricks and McKinney go round 2, Perryman round 3, and Anthony in 4. He's got size, can cover, good speed, and can find the ball. He's just really raw. Developmental pick

Round 5: Derrick Lott, DE/DT Tennessee-Chatanooga

An underrated lineman who can push competition for the DE spot that is being held by Kendell Langford. He's already 25 I think but the guy can play. Probably a rotational guy with upside at first.

Round 6: Cam Thomas, CB Western Kentucky

A long press corner who the staff will know from having studied Andrew Jackson last year. Doesn't have terrific long speed but he's a true press corner who can step in for Toler when his contract is up. Pagano can teach this guy how to play to his strengths like he did with Vontae. He's great value here

Round 6: Jamil Douglas, OG/OT Arizona State

The O-line depth isn't terrible on this team, it's just about the continuity. Finding a line that works. Herremans sures up the RG spot. Reitz can play RT for Cherilus if needed and Thorton should continue to develop. But Douglas can be a piece for the future. If we do eventually move Mewhort to RT, Douglas can be plugged in at LG, and by then hopefully Thorton is ready at RG. Either way, Douglas can play either Guard spot and sub in at tackle on an injury. He'll drop because of the amount of talent on the Offensive line this year.

Round 7: Darren Waller, WR Georgia Tech

A 6'5" WR, he comes from a line of big athletic WRs produced by GT (Megatron, Stephen Hill) but he's really raw. Now that we have AJ though, perhaps he can mentor the kid and teach him to be a decent pro some day.

Round 7: Detrick Bonner, FS Virginia State

Developmental guy who will play special teams from day one, and have a shot at FS when Adams eventually retires.

That's it for that. I was pretty satisfied with this. I really like the idea of us getting a solid D-lineman in round 1......however, Colts fans should also be prepared for Landon Collins should most of the lineman be taken before us because the staff seems to really like him.

This pick could also be Eddie Goldman, but it depends on what the Broncos and Cowboys do. Phillips as an athletic NT who can also play DE on certain snaps, and instantly upgrades the line. He shows everything you would want to see a NT do.

This may seem to early, but the Colts have a huge need at safety and Tartt is a phenomenal player at a position of need. It's hard to find a lot of tape on him but he's a missile in run support and can hold his own in coverage. His closing speed is ridiculous though. He's about the same size as Landon Collins at around 6'1", 218 and ran well at the combine with a 4.53. Possibly the biggest sleeper in this draft. He's a day 1 starter. Pagano will love this guy.

I was tempted to not look at RB until the later rounds with Ballard, Gore, and Herron on the roster but Abdullah could be great value here. An Underrated between the tackles runner who had some fumbling issues in college, but can fix that in the pros. Could be the heir apparent to Gore once he retires. Or if we eventually let Boom go, Abdullah can be a change of pace back.

My opinion of him changed. I still think he's the most complete ILB in the draft, but he's also the rawest and doesn't have the natural instincts of Perryman, Kendricks,etc... But I don't think a LB will go in the 1st round, so everyone gets pushed down a round. Erik Kendricks and McKinney go round 2, Perryman round 3, and Anthony in 4. He's got size, can cover, good speed, and can find the ball. He's just really raw. Developmental pick

An underrated lineman who can push competition for the DE spot that is being held by Kendell Langford. He's already 25 I think but the guy can play. Probably a rotational guy with upside at first.

A long press corner who the staff will know from having studied Andrew Jackson last year. Doesn't have terrific long speed but he's a true press corner who can step in for Toler when his contract is up. Pagano can teach this guy how to play to his strengths like he did with Vontae. He's great value here

The O-line depth isn't terrible on this team, it's just about the continuity. Finding a line that works. Herremans sures up the RG spot. Reitz can play RT for Cherilus if needed and Thorton should continue to develop. But Douglas can be a piece for the future. If we do eventually move Mewhort to RT, Douglas can be plugged in at LG, and by then hopefully Thorton is ready at RG. Either way, Douglas can play either Guard spot and sub in at tackle on an injury. He'll drop because of the amount of talent on the Offensive line this year.

A 6'5" WR, he comes from a line of big athletic WRs produced by GT (Megatron, Stephen Hill) but he's really raw. Now that we have AJ though, perhaps he can mentor the kid and teach him to be a decent pro some day.

Developmental guy who will play special teams from day one, and have a shot at FS when Adams eventually retires.

That's it for that. I was pretty satisfied with this. I really like the idea of us getting a solid D-lineman in round 1......however, Colts fans should also be prepared for Landon Collins should most of the lineman be taken before us because the staff seems to really like him.

i like all of the late round picks

I do Love the picks but Douglas, Anthony and Abdullah wont be there. Maybe others too.

Favorite pick is Lott. Would make a really good pass rushing DT in nickel and dime packages with potential to play a big role in future.

Abdullah can be substituted with whatever RB people prefer. Cobb, Langford, Mike Davis,etc... I'm confident Anthony will be there now. Most of the ILBs are going to go later anyways. Plus rounds 2-3 will be a run on CB's, RBs, and WRs so he should drop.

Abdullah is from Nebraska btw

Meant to put that. I was thinking Abdullah, but kept picturing Melvin Gordon

I love your picks,... (Goldman and Carl would be alternates). But......

I would be tempted to give up our 3rd and 4th and 6th this year and 3rd next year, to get another pick in round 2, to get Tevon from Indiana as well.

This would still leave us more than enough spaces for developmental players, along with UDFAs

AND.... Would give us 2 immediate starters as well at NT and S, and a rotational player at RB.

I would however add a OLB in there as well

Several observations....

To get both (chances still slim) I think you'll need to reverse picks 2 and 3.  Tartt in the 3rd, Abdullah in the 2nd.

Elsewhere....   I don't see Anthony lasting until R4, and certainly not the bottom of it...

I don't see Douglas lasting to R6 and certainly not the bottom of it....

And I don't see Waller lasting to R7 and certainly not the bottom of it....

I like the players,  but don't think it's very realistic.....     I wish it wasn't so....

I would be tempted to give up our 3rd and 4th and 6th this year and 3rd next year, to get another pick in round 2, to get Tevon from Indiana as well.

Glad you don't have any say in the draft 4 picks for a RB is just crazy

Glad you don't have any say in the draft 4 picks for a RB is just crazy

Using the pick value chart, supposedly used by the NFL teams..... This is EXACTLY what value is needed to get another mid round 2nd pick.......

ame="akcolt" post="1077040" timestamp="1427736050"]

Using the pick value chart, supposedly used by the NFL teams..... This is EXACTLY what value is needed to get another mid round 2nd pick.......

I understand the value to get the pick but to give up that many picks on a RB is not smart particularly in a draft filled with RB's. If the guy is worth 4 picks why not take him in the first and be done with it. You want to give up our 3rd and 4th and 6th this year and our 2nd next year on a position that can be filled with a 3rd or 4th in this draft NOT SMART again I am glad you have absolutely no say in the process.

I understand the value to get the pick but to give up that many picks on a RB is not smart particularly in a draft filled with RB's. If the guy is worth 4 picks why not take him in the first and be done with it. You want to give up our 3rd and 4th and 6th this year and our 2nd next year on a position that can be filled with a 3rd or 4th in this draft NOT SMART again I am glad you have absolutely no say in the process.

I am glad that you are glad........

Being glad is a good thing.......

I understand the value to get the pick but to give up that many picks on a RB is not smart particularly in a draft filled with RB's. If the guy is worth 4 picks why not take him in the first and be done with it. You want to give up our 3rd and 4th and 6th this year and our 2nd next year on a position that can be filled with a 3rd or 4th in this draft NOT SMART again I am glad you have absolutely no say in the process.

I believe, if we were to somehow pick 3 times in The first 2 rounds, we could get some

Immediate contributors......

Getting developmental players is nice..... But..... How many can you actually have and keep?

We only have so many roster spots......

The odds are very strong that most of the later picks are cut anyway.....

In this draft......when we are CLOSE (capitalized for you for emphasis) I am not after quantity....

I want quality....... There is a reason that someone is picked in the 6th vs 2nd.

We need a few players to win.... And win now

But of course....I could be wrong.......... I am in no way near as SMART as you.......

I believe, if we were to somehow pick 3 times in The first 2 rounds, we could get some

Immediate contributors......

Getting developmental players is nice..... But..... How many can you actually have and keep?

We only have so many roster spots......

The odds are very strong that most of the later picks are cut anyway.....

In this draft......when we are CLOSE (capitalized for you for emphasis) I am not after quantity....

I want quality....... There is a reason that someone is picked in the 6th vs 2nd.

We need a few players to win.... And win now

But of course....I could be wrong.......... I am in no way near as SMART as you.......

First of all Tevin is no lock to be an NFL caliber back anyone that knows the history of Big Ten backs and the draft in general knows that. There are no locks.

You don't give up 4 picks for a RB that could easily be there at 59 to begin with. Maybe if we really like him we move up from 59 but 4 picks for a RB is just dumb. You obviously aren't that bright you don't even know how to spell the guys name you want to give up 4 picks for unless Tevon is someone other than Tevin Coleman.

First of all Tevin is no lock to be an NFL caliber back anyone that knows the history of Big Ten backs and the draft in general knows that. There are no locks.

You don't give up 4 picks for a RB that could easily be there at 59 to begin with. Maybe if we really like him we move up from 59 but 4 picks for a RB is just dumb. You obviously aren't that bright you don't even know how to spell the guys name you want to give up 4 picks for unless Tevon is someone other than Tevin Coleman.

There are no "locks" anywhere.....

I hope you have a great day

First of all Tevin is no lock to be an NFL caliber back anyone that knows the history of Big Ten backs and the draft in general knows that. There are no locks.

That's just mainly Wisconsin, whose backs are normally overhyped. Although I'm sure most of college football would like to field that type of OL year in and year out.

Why are you calling this your semi-final mock?

Why put a cap on it?     You enjoy doing them,  so keep on doing them!

Do one a week right up until the draft....    keep having fun!     :thmup:

That's just mainly Wisconsin, whose backs are normally overhyped. Although I'm sure most of college football would like to field that type of OL year in and year out.

Along those same lines look at IU's track record. They've had other great backs (AT, Dunbar) who've failed miserably in the pros. I know Wisconsin backs, and to a lesser extent Bama backs, are frowned upon because of their system and rightfully so. But to omit Indiana's track record is not forthcoming. They are far worse at producing NFL caliber talent including RBs. The one slice of talent they produce is OL, and an occasional depth receiver.

Without a doubt Wisconsin RBs in general have plenty of tread missing due to their heavy workloads in college. That's my primary concern with them.

t

The only big ten back in the top 50 RB career rushing yard is Eddie George.

I'll admit that I love the first 3 picks. Big fans of all 3.

I can see Abdullah as being the Gio Bernard to Frank Gore's Jeremy Hill.

Phillips is a physical force and a playmaker in the middle of the line. His penetration ability reminds me of Wilfork.

I don't agree with your analysis of the ILB group though. Kendricks is a 1st rounder, no question, maybe even top 20. Perryman very likely a 1st rounder too. Anthony is 3rd round prospect.

I'll admit that I love the first 3 picks. Big fans of all 3.

I can see Abdullah as being the Gio Bernard to Frank Gore's Jeremy Hill.

Phillips is a physical force and a playmaker in the middle of the line. His penetration ability reminds me of Wilfork.

I don't agree with your analysis of the ILB group though. Kendricks is a 1st rounder, no question, maybe even top 20. Perryman very likely a 1st rounder too. Anthony is 3rd round prospect.

I like In the first too but I'm not sure that's where he'll go. So I pushed every LB down a round. Perhaps I'll change that pick in my next mock