worst trade  

118 members have voted

1. 1. worst trade

• booger mcfarland for a second round pick
    • trading dickerson for a 4th and an 8th
    • walter murray for a second round pick
    • tony ugoh for a first round pick
    • t-rich for a first round pick

mcfarland was actually a key to the resurgence of our defense during our championship run, but the following year he got hurt and then retired the year after that so we basically traded a second round pick for a player that played half a season

dickerson as we all know was a me type of player, but going back to what was traded for him 3 first round picks 3 second round picks and couple of players and was having success as a colt, but issues with the team and not getting the ball enough and speaking out against the team got him shipped for a 4th and 8th. now lets put this into perspective, if the vikings traded peterson for a 4th and a 7th, viking fans would kill the viking management. 

walter murray was a wr that was drafted by the redskins, but didnt wanna sign with them because of his contract so he held out. the colts traded their second round pick. he came into practice out of shape and with immaturity issues. even the wr coach publicly came out and called him horrible horrible horrible. a second round pick for a guy that caught 22 passes

tony ugoh was drafted by the colts in the second round, however the colts had to trade their first round pick with the 49ers to move up to draft him. this was suppose to be the replacement for glenn and instead was waived by the colts 3 seasons later

t-rich..................well that horse has been discussed to death 

Fred Young for 2 1st round picks

Didnt know about this- for anyone else who didn't, he was drafted in 1984 and proceeded to make the pro bowl each of his first four years. He was traded to Indy for a first in 1989 and 1990, and then proceeded to play mediocre football and never started a full season for us and retired two years after the trade due to arthritis.

I mean T-Rich obviously, with Ugoh being a pretty close 2nd. If we hadn't made that stupid trade for Richardson, we could've drafted a good defensive player or an O-Lineman in the 1st and we'd be one more piece closer than we are now. We could've gotten Bradley Roby, or we could have taken Joel Bitonio and be set on the offensive line. So yeah the Richardson trade really hurt us quite a bit.

Didnt know about this- for anyone else who didn't, he was drafted in 1984 and proceeded to make the pro bowl each of his first four years. He was traded to Indy for a first in 1989 and 1990, and then proceeded to play mediocre football and never started a full season for us and retired two years after the trade due to arthritis.

As I recall, he made the Pro Bowl as a special teams player. 

I'd make the claim that Booger was one of the better trades in Colts history.

Second rounder for Booger McFarland shouldn't be on the list. He helped the Colts get to, and win a Super Bowl.

he didnt even play a full season 

He was huge in the playoffs. Without Booger, we would have been eliminated round 1 of the layoffs. A 2nd rounder was well worth it to get the championship.

Remember, this was when Corey Simon and Montae Reagor both got injured...we had Raheem Brock and his 274 lbs at DT, that was it.

He was huge in the playoffs. Without Booger, we would have been eliminated round 1 of the layoffs. A 2nd rounder was well worth it to get the championship.

Remember, this was when Corey Simon and Montae Reagor both got injured...we had Raheem Brock and his 274 lbs at DT, that was it.

ok I get that, but there was no long term ROI for this trade. it was half a season, got injuried, then retired. if he played at the same rate for a couple seasons, the trade would have been worth it, but he didnt

You guys have some good ones from the Indy era, but the John Elway trade is the worst in all of Colts history, and maybe in NFL history. It's not even close.

I cant really count that because it wasnt like the colts wanted to trade elway, he forced their hand

I cant really count that because it wasnt like the colts wanted to trade elway, he forced their hand

True, but they could have gotten a way better deal than what they got. I think Dallas had a better package, but Irsay was more comfortable with the Denver owner. If we could go back in time, Irsay should have called his bluff , and let Elway languish in the Yankees Single A system for four years. That is why I will never respect Elway, but will always respect Peyton. Unfortunately, Eli pulled the same crap on the Chargers, so I put him in the bum column also.

I mean T-Rich obviously, with Ugoh being a pretty close 2nd. If we hadn't made that stupid trade for Richardson, we could've drafted a good defensive player or an O-Lineman in the 1st and we'd be one more piece closer than we are now. We could've gotten Bradley Roby, or we could have taken Joel Bitonio and be set on the offensive line. So yeah the Richardson trade really hurt us quite a bit.

T-Rich was no even close to being the worst trade in Colts history. I would have to say the Fred Young might have been the worst.

You guys have some good ones from the Indy era, but the John Elway trade is the worst in all of Colts history, and maybe in NFL history. It's not even close.

The Fred Young was worse than the Elway trade. Two number ones. At least the Colts got Mark Herrman, Chris Hinton and Ron Solt for Elway.

ELWAY

I always wonder if John ever wishes he could have missed the Dan Reeves years & then been traded to Denver in the Mike Shanahan era of 1997 & 1998. 

Everyone always saying playing in a SB is an honor even if you lose. No, it isn't. Losing sucks. Let's be honest here. 

T-Rich was no even close to being the worst trade in Colts history. I would have to say the Fred Young might have been the worst.

I know the history and all, but that was still before my time. I'm just 25 lol. I guess I tend to choose the ones I remember best. But I've heard my grandpa talk about the Fredd Young trade over the years.

Trades are bad when someone has a choice

The Colts... HAD NO CHOICE

Elway promised to play baseball if the Colts kept him.......

Who cares? Would you be happy if the Colts gave a 2nd rounder this year if it meant they would win the Super Bowl? I know I would be happy. That Super Bowl victory is the one thing that keeps the Colts fans going who have been following the team the last 30 years. Championship and Super bowl losses doesn't cut it. Its what separates us from the Eagles fans.

ok I get that, but there was no long term ROI for this trade. it was half a season, got injuried, then retired. if he played at the same rate for a couple seasons, the trade would have been worth it, but he didnt

Booger was essentially a 2nd rounder for the super bowl win, all Seattle's Percy Harvin.

Trades are bad when someone has a choice

The Colts... HAD NO CHOICE

Elway promised to play baseball if the Colts kept him.......

Irsay should have called his bluff. It was a horrible trade because they could have gotten much more if they had to trade him. Irsay didn't listen to his GM Ernie Accorsi, drank, panicked, then traded him for a 1, a horrible back up QB, and a decent OL. The price should have been like three 1's and a 2. Dallas was offering much more than Denver.

There is no way Fred Young even compares to trading a once in a lifetime QB, and what makes it a horrible trade is Irsay basically got nothing for him.

Even if Elway forced the trade, it was Irsay hiring * Frank Kush, which was a big reason Elway and his daddy didn't want him to come to Baltimore.