Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com Ranks GM's.... sort of...

JPFolks

NFL.com did a ranking of GM's.  I am not really buying it as meaning all that much.  But see for yourself.  Grigson is on the lower end of the spectrum, but again, their criteria I think is flawed.  I don't think ALL ROOKIE teams are fair in their evaluations and favor certain markets over others.  I am curious as to what you guys think? 

Here's the link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000481917/article/which-gms-have-the-best-success-rate-with-rookies

(PS: Sorry if someone else posted this already, I didn't see it here).  

NFL.com did a ranking of GM's. I am not really buying it as meaning all that much. But see for yourself. Grigson is on the lower end of the spectrum, but again, their criteria I think is flawed. I don't think ALL ROOKIE teams are fair in their evaluations and favor certain markets over others. I am curious as to what you guys think?

Here's the link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000481917/article/which-gms-have-the-best-success-rate-with-rookies

(PS: Sorry if someone else posted this already, I didn't see it here).

Just to put this into perspective. ..the hooded one is only 2 spots a head.....

There's an All-Rookie team?  I think PFF has one, but I don't think there's any official All-Rookie team like the NBA has.  By that alone, the list is highly subjective and flawed.  I could make an All-Rookie team that includes Mewhort, and Newsome.  Add in Luck and Hilton from 2012 and that's 4 All-Rookies for Grigson, bringing his percentage to 18.18%, making him 4th on the list.  It's an interesting way to look at things, but it's highly flawed

Yeah that's hardly a good way to rank a GM overall.  It doesn't count free agency moves at all, doesn't count players that arn't all rookie team but contribute strongly.  (It should be points in your favor if you make a 5-7th round pick into a solid starter (anywhere except kicker that is.)

And perhaps worst of all it doesn't count what happens AFTER the rookie season.  RG3 probably was all rookie his first year.  Was that a good pick?

Plus as someone pointed out you have both Ozzie Newsome and Belichek near the bottom of the list while the guys at the top are guys who havn't been around for very long and hit on one or two giving them a high percentage.

Must be the off-season.  I really don't know what the point of the nfl.com article is.  Seems like a very weak way to rate anyone's performance and doesn't really prove anything when he goes on to say there are other factors and other GMs shine in other ways.

People are funny.  The article is discussing which GM has had the best success rate with rookies.  The criteria they used is # of rookies drafted divided by # rookies to make the "all rookie team".  As much as some people don't like to admit it, there are GMs out there that have done a better job than Grigs.