Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bleacher says Colts biggest need DT

Happy2BeHere

Bleacher says that the Colts' biggest need is Defensive Tackle?

Defensive Tackle is definitely near the top, but I would put Safety ahead of it right now, since we actually do have people that can play DT on the current roster, even if they need to be upgraded.  That's more than we can say for safety (just Mike Adams right now)..

Man, where's Antoine Bethea when you need him?

Can't name the head coach, but knows the roster well enough to identify the team's biggest need... right.

More likely, "they couldn't stop the Pats run game" translated into DT being the team's biggest need. As of right now, I'd say our biggest need is safety.

In perusing the various mock drafts we should be able get the first or second best available NT. Although there are players listed simply as "DL" that will be selected before we're on the clock.

I wonder if Grigs feels good enough to trade up for the S out of Alabama.

Either way, that first rounder better be a starter quality player

In perusing the various mock drafts we should be able get the first or second best available NT. Although there are players listed simply as "DL" that will be selected before we're on the clock.

I wouldn't want him to trade up for Collins. Not worth it for a guy that has trouble in coverage

I concur, I hope that we can honestly get a solid starter out of that first round...because as a first round pick that's what you typically expect and the horrid Richardson deal just puts more emphasis on how important this draft is IMO

Defensive Tackle is definitely near the top, but I would put Safety ahead of it right now, since we actually do have people that can play DT on the current roster, even if they need to be upgraded. That's more than we can say for safety (just Mike Adams right now)..

Bethea stinks

I'm guessing what they meant is that we need a D-lineman at any position, since Redding played DE. I would take Phillips. He's a pure NT who could beat out Chapman for the starting spot and probably take snaps at DE as well. Armstead seems a little one dimensional. I also really like Carl Davis.

Just to go to the point that everyone sees the same thing differently,  Lance Zeirlein, the guy who does draft personnel for NFL.com has the 5 biggest needs for every team.....     and DL is not even listed among them.

In no particular order,  he's got ILB, S, CB, RB and RT as the 5 biggest needs.

Honestly,  I think he missed on DL.....    but again,  things are not always as obvious as one might think....

Defensive Tackle is definitely near the top, but I would put Safety ahead of it right now, since we actually do have people that can play DT on the current roster, even if they need to be upgraded. That's more than we can say for safety (just Mike Adams right now)..

Lol if we had bethea you'd be saying we need a safety regardless being that he sucked in coverage so basically another linebacker in a way

Just to go to the point that everyone sees the same thing differently,  Lance Zeirlein, the guy who does draft personnel for NFL.com has the 5 biggest needs for every team.....     and DL is not even listed among them.

In no particular order,  he's got ILB, S, CB, RB and RT as the 5 biggest needs.

Honestly,  I think he missed on DL.....    but again,  things are not always as obvious as one might think....

His order is good. D-Line is not a priority,

Right now I think Safety--we only have 1 atm.  Not sure we should be giving up on Chapman and Kerr at NT yet--they only have a year or 2 experience at this stage (Chapman missed the whole of his first season remember) and you would expect them to make improvement

The New England games stick in our minds, but why over the past two years were the Colts blown out by the Cowboys, Steelers, Rams and Cardinals?  Why were they down 24-0 to the Broncos, 4 TDs to the Chiefs?  Pass coverage, mainly.  Can't defend a crossing route.  Can't defend anything over the middle. 

Do we need better run defense?  Absolutely.  But, when it comes to the Patriots, running the ball, stopping the run, attempting to grind out a win, etc., in my opinion, is not a recipe for success anyway.  For us, it never has been.  Historically, we've succeeded against the Patriots by being aggressive and turning the matchups into shootouts.  Attempting to grind out a win against the Patriots is a losing proposition.  Why?  Because a Bill Belichick team will always make fewer mistakes than your team.  You will make the critical mistake; they won't. 

The New England games stick in our minds, but why over the past two years were the Colts blown out by the Cowboys, Steelers, Rams and Cardinals? Why were they down 24-0 to the Broncos, 4 TDs to the Chiefs? Pass coverage, mainly. Can't defend a crossing route. Can't defend anything over the middle.

Do we need better run defense? Absolutely. But, when it comes to the Patriots, running the ball, stopping the run, attempting to grind out a win, etc., in my opinion, is not a recipe for success anyway. For us, it never has been. Historically, we've succeeded against the Patriots by being aggressive and turning the matchups into shootouts. Attempting to grind out a win against the Patriots is a losing proposition. Why? Because a Bill Belichick team will always make fewer mistakes than your team. You will make the critical mistake; they won't.

Unless they're playing the Giants :thmup:

A couple of points.....

IMO,  the Colts lose games at the line of scrimmage.    That's not a safety problem.

We need to get younger, better talent on the DL.

Safety may be our most pressing need, but the problem is there's only ONE safety worthy of a 1st round pick and that's Collins.

No other safety is remotely worth that high a pick.      So, are we going to draft a safety?   Yes.    But in the first round?    No.

I'd look for a safety in the 2nd or 3rd round.

A couple of points.....

IMO,  the Colts lose games at the line of scrimmage.    That's not a safety problem.

We need to get younger, better talent on the DL.

Safety may be our most pressing need, but the problem is there's only ONE safety worthy of a 1st round pick and that's Collins.

No other safety is remotely worth that high a pick.      So, are we going to draft a safety?   Yes.    But in the first round?    No.

I'd look for a safety in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Perhaps Grigson doesn't see only 1 Safety worth a 1st round pick

Nope you're wrong he in fact sucks and still was a liability in coverage for us

Who's us? 

Aren't 99% (100%) of people who play in the secondary occasionally a liability? Bethea was by in large good as a Colt and had a good year last year as a 9er. 

I didn't say he was wrong because I don't know what I'm talking about...

Perhaps Grigson doesn't see only 1 Safety worth a 1st round pick

I think the chances of that are somewhere near zero.

First,  I don't think the Pagano/Grigson duo think it's hard to properly fill the position.   At least,  they haven't approached it that way.

Second,  there is strong consensus that Safety is the weakest position in the draft.    It's Collins, and everyone else.   I think Shaq is the only other possible candidate and if he's taken in the 1st,  I think it's a terrible over-reach.     I hate taking players a round before they should be picked.

I think the chances of that are somewhere near zero.

First,  I don't think the Pagano/Grigson duo think it's hard to properly fill the position.   At least,  they haven't approached it that way.

Second,  there is strong consensus that Safety is the weakest position in the draft.    It's Collins, and everyone else.   I think Shaq is the only other possible candidate and if he's taken in the 1st,  I think it's a terrible over-reach.     I hate taking players a round before they should be picked.

Second, there is strong consensus that Safety is the weakest position in the draft. It's Collins, and everyone else. I think Shaq is the only other possible candidate and if he's taken in the 1st, I think it's a terrible over-reach. I hate taking players a round before they should be picked.

2.Thats what Im talking about.....Grigson may not see it that way...It happens a lot with GM's and "experts"...Grigson may actually see another Safety as a worthy pick at 29 such as Damarious Randall....I don't...But Grigson might...He did say the 40 time helps assign proper market value http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Ryan-Grigson-Previews-2015-NFL-Combine/4e49cbee-a13d-4ce2-9890-7ca2b86af2e3

What Im saying is just because analysts say a guy is worth a certain round pick that doesn't necessarily mean GM's think the same thing.....Though I agree with draft analysts more often then I don't that don't make always right...Its about where YOU think a player should go

Hope this makes sense and I don't come off as an ***....I just see ya often telling members where draft analysts say they should or will go but I don't often see you saying where you think a player should go....Again not meant to come off as a shot or a poke at you...I guess it just irks me when you say where an analysts say a player should or will go but I don't often see your opinion on that (Though at times I have)

Second, there is strong consensus that Safety is the weakest position in the draft. It's Collins, and everyone else. I think Shaq is the only other possible candidate and if he's taken in the 1st, I think it's a terrible over-reach. I hate taking players a round before they should be picked.

2.Thats what Im talking about.....Grigson may not see it that way...It happens a lot with GM's and "experts"...Grigson may actually see another Safety as a worthy pick at 29 such as Damarious Randall....I don't...But Grigson might...He did say the 40 time helps assign proper market value http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Ryan-Grigson-Previews-2015-NFL-Combine/4e49cbee-a13d-4ce2-9890-7ca2b86af2e3

What Im saying is just because analysts say a guy is worth a certain round pick that doesn't necessarily mean GM's think the same thing.....Though I agree with draft analysts more often then I don't that don't make always right...Its about where YOU think a player should go

Hope this makes sense and I don't come off as an ***....I just see ya often telling members where draft analysts say they should or will go but I don't often see you saying where you think a player should go....Again not meant to come off as a shot or a poke at you...I guess it just irks me when you say where an analysts say a player should or will go but I don't often see your opinion on that (Though at times I have)

No worries,  no offense taken.

And since I'm the one who preaches that everyone sees the same thing differently,  I understand the argument.

I just don't think it applies here.    I think it applies when you're talking about who do you like better?   Goldman, Phillips or Davis?

Issues like that.     Three different GM's might see the same thing differently.    One guy might be a better fit scheme-wise,  that type of thing.

But on where does a person grade-out, while I respect there are going to be differences,  I don't see it at Safety.   There is virtually no one who is hinting about 2nd safety in the 1st round.    Those that are pushing Shaq Thompson like him as a linebacker.

I'm not worried that Grigson is going to over-reach for Randall or the Fresno kid (whose name escapes me)  or a Louisville safety or a Mississippi safety in the 1st round.     There's no reason to over-draft.

"Need a terrible judge of talent"    That translates to "just because you need a safety the most,  doesn't mean there's a safety worth taking in the first round.

In three drafts,  I've yet to see Grigson take someone too early.   I think most every player was "round appropriate"....   Werner may have been a bad pick,  but he had a first round grade by plenty of teams.    He just shouldn't have had one with the Colts.

I'm not worried about Grigson making that kind if mistake.   I don't think he reaches just because we need one. 

No worries,  no offense taken.

And since I'm the one who preaches that everyone sees the same thing differently,  I understand the argument.

I just don't think it applies here.    I think it applies when you're talking about who do you like better?   Goldman, Phillips or Davis?

Issues like that.     Three different GM's might see the same thing differently.    One guy might be a better fit scheme-wise,  that type of thing.

But on where does a person grade-out, while I respect there are going to be differences,  I don't see it at Safety.   There is virtually no one who is hinting about 2nd safety in the 1st round.    Those that are pushing Shaq Thompson like him as a linebacker.

I'm not worried that Grigson is going to over-reach for Randall or the Fresno kid (whose name escapes me)  or a Louisville safety or a Mississippi safety in the 1st round.     There's no reason to over-draft.

"Need a terrible judge of talent"    That translates to "just because you need a safety the most,  doesn't mean there's a safety worth taking in the first round.

In three drafts,  I've yet to see Grigson take someone too early.   I think most every player was "round appropriate"....   Werner may have been a bad pick,  but he had a first round grade by plenty of teams.    He just shouldn't have had one with the Colts.

I'm not worried about Grigson making that kind if mistake.   I don't think he reaches just because we need one. 

What is interesting is that our odds of drafting a safety at all this year are roughly the same as last year.  By that I mean it was a foregone conclusion we would draft one in '14 for the same reasons in front of us now.  We have the same roster hole and another weak safety draft as rated.  Of course, we are right to expect to use a pick on one this year....but none of us should be surprised if we go another 7 rounds without one.  Once the safeties with a draftable grade go by the windshield, its pretty obvious that Grigs will lump the rest into his UDFA target list.

It kind of makes me chuckle.  3 drafts and no DB's....its as if he see them like Kickers.  It is pretty strong evidence that Grigs is a BPA guy for any that doubt it.

Edit: John Boyett....but he is easy to forget.  Plus, he's almost a kicker minus the canal swim!