Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sam says there are more gay players in NFL; wonders if he is not on team because of sexuality

amfootball

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12567532/michael-sam-says-there-more-gay-players-nfl

It is amazing to me how much this guy talks about his sexuality and now the sexuality of other players that have confided in him about their orientation and he still drums the beat and wonders if he is not playing football because of his sexual preference vs. talent.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me its hard to believe the guy don't have the talent to play in the NFL, He has a good but not elite first step and has shown in the NFL he can get after the QB...He is a little stiff no doubt...But he did produce. I do find it hard to believe that the only reason he is not in the NFL is because of lack of talent....He has some talent...at least as a rotational pass rusher

To me its hard to believe the guy don't have the talent to play in the NFL, He has a good but not elite first step and has shown in the NFL he can get after the QB...He is a little stiff no doubt...But he did produce

It's weird no team has stepped up to show interest.  

To me its hard to believe the guy don't have the talent to play in the NFL, He has a good but not elite first step and has shown in the NFL he can get after the QB...He is a little stiff no doubt...But he did produce. I do find it hard to believe that the only reason he is not in the NFL is because of lack of talent....He has some talent...at least as a rotational pass rusher

He doesn't. Just because he made 1 or 2 play's in the pre-season doesn't mean anything. His veteran combine numbers reflect this as well. I could care less about his sexuality. At the end of the day, he can't play football or else he'd be playing for a team.

He doesn't. Just because he made 1 or 2 play's in the pre-season doesn't mean anything. His veteran combine numbers reflect this as well. I could care less about his sexuality. At the end of the day, he can't play football or else he'd be playing for a team.

I would have to believe in today's world that what you are saying is correct.  I can't imagine a team caring about his sexuality.

He has zero tackles and zero sacks in the NFL

I have to believe if he was good enough, he would be signed by someone no matter what.

Using the sexuality card, is like using the race card, and ridiculous here.   As others have said, in this day and age I wouldn't think any of that would even come into play with the decision of whether or not to sign him.

I have to believe if he was good enough, he would be signed by someone no matter what.

Using the sexuality card, is like using the race card, and ridiculous here.   As others have said, in this day and age I wouldn't think any of that would even come into play with the decision of whether or not to sign him.

Completely agree.

I do agree to a certain extent with you Gramz but one thing NFL teams don't like is players using their league as a platform either whether it be sexual preference or race relations, etc.. For Sam, he came into the league trumpeting his sexuality as the first openly gay player to enter the draft and he continues to beat that drum. I do think to some extent he is hurting his chances as he is already a marginal player at best and teams really don't want the publicity for a player that is going to come with a media parade. This is also what hurt Tebow back when he was looking for a team after the Pats let him go.

I do agree to a certain extent with you Gramz but one thing NFL teams don't like is players using their league as a platform either whether it be sexual preference or race relations, etc.. For Sam, he came into the league trumpeting his sexuality as the first openly gay player to enter the draft and he continues to beat that drum. I do think to some extent he is hurting his chances as he is already a marginal player at best and teams really don't want the publicity for a player that is going to come with a media parade. This is also what hurt Tebow back when he was looking for a team after the Pats let him go.

True.  I think all his talk has maybe hurt his chances some, but I still believe, IF he was good enough he'd be signed.  

I'm not getting in to the Tebow discussion again.  :facepalm:

Well it's true. Of course they're in the closet though, cause NFL fans are going to shame them no matter what for not being REAL MEN. Football is all about REAL MEN hitting each other and slamming their bodies into one another trying to kill each other in the name of entertainment similar to any other blood sport. 

The way Michael Sam has been treated by the NFL and NFL fans says enough for itself about the "progress" of accepting gay men in this society. 

I am glad this man exists. I wish there was more Michael Sam's that would ruin the day of the typical people that can't handle human evolution in the sense of society moving past outdated and terrible "traditions" just cause they hate change. 

Michael Sam should be on an NFL roster, considering Tim Tebow was on one, but Tebow was OK since he was an all American super christian that everyone loves.

I don't want to hear about how this is "sexuality card" when people loved could never get enough of QB Jesus out there praying and doing his media tricks. Tebow is OK, but Sam is not. That speaks for itself about the "progress" of accepting human beings in this country for who they are and being different from said "traditions" that are not in law, and no where on paper does it say you have to live your life the way society tells you too, and that's why I respect Michael Sam for giving the finger to these people and coming out the way he did. Kudos to anyone brave enough to do that, cause society and it's invisible unwritten rules sucks. 

Well it's true. Of course they're in the closet though, cause NFL fans are going to shame them no matter what for not being REAL MEN. Football is all about REAL MEN hitting each other and slamming their bodies into one another trying to kill each other in the name of entertainment similar to any other blood sport.

The way Michael Sam has been treated by the NFL and NFL fans says enough for itself about the "progress" of accepting gay men in this society.

I am glad this man exists. I wish there was more Michael Sam's that would ruin the day of the typical people that can't handle human evolution in the sense of society moving past outdated and terrible "traditions" just cause they hate change.

Michael Sam should be on an NFL roster, considering Tim Tebow was on one, but Tebow was OK since he was an all American super christian that everyone loves.

I don't want to hear about how this is "sexuality card" when people loved could never get enough of QB Jesus out there praying and doing his media tricks. Tebow is OK, but Sam is not. That speaks for itself about the "progress" of accepting human beings in this country for who they are and being different from said "traditions" that are not in law, and no where on paper does it say you have to live your life the way society tells you too, and that's why I respect Michael Sam for giving the finger to these people and coming out the way he did. Kudos to anyone brave enough to do that, cause society and it's invisible unwritten rules sucks.

How are you always on the wrong side of the argument. If Aaron Rodgers were to come out and say he was gay, he would be cheered and respected.. If Sam were an impact player, he would be on a roster

For someone who is a football fan, you really seem to hate the sport

Does Sam's sexuality play a role in him not being on a football team?  YES, and not just because he is gay, but because he is openly gay, which brings with it an incredible amount of media hysteria. So the real question is, does Michael Sam's talent trump the scrutiny placed on him, his teammates, and the organization to constantly deal with the media about just this one particular subject? NO. If he had Suh's talent, then of course it would be worth it.

Tim Tebow creates a media circus wherever he goes. The NFL determined that his talent did not warrant the headaches associated with the amount of media hysteria and therefore, he is currently not in the NFL. Meanwhile, guys like McDonald and Hardy (who are talented) get second opportunities. 

Does Sam's sexuality play a role in him not being on a football team?  YES, and not just because he is gay, but because he is openly gay, which brings with it an incredible amount of media hysteria. So the real question is, does Michael Sam's talent trump the scrutiny placed on him, his teammates, and the organization to constantly deal with the media about just this one particular subject? NO. If he had Suh's talent, then of course it would be worth it.

Tim Tebow creates a media circus wherever he goes. The NFL determined that his talent did not warrant the headaches associated with the amount of media hysteria and therefore, he is currently not in the NFL. Meanwhile, guys like McDonald and Hardy (who are talented) get second opportunities.

He does bring some of it on himself though...There was the whole Oprah fiasco that he nearly did apparently and then to a lesser extent the dancing with the stars

You go Glen Coco.

Personally, I thought admitting he was gay publicly before the draft was a mistake which probably made several GMs take his name off their board. Why cost yourself money that way? Being true to who you are is admirable. I get that, but not economically sound when you want an NFL owner to pay you millions in salary as an athlete. 

What matters is can you rush the QB consistently? By disclosing his sexuality early, all Sam did is pigeonhole himself. He will never be the SEC 2013 Defensive Player Of The Year to me just a guy who used his sexual preference to get noticed & he didn't make the cut in either Dallas or St. Louis. 

He isn't on a roster for a reason. It has nothing to do with his personal life. He just isn't good enough to thrive at the NFL level. It's as simple as that. My advice: Pursue another avenue of employment because professional football isn't something you will be allowed to earn a living doing. 

He is not a magician. He cant do that if he is not on a team, He was on a team in the preseason and did though....3 actually

Against lower level players.  Two teams saw what this guy can do in an NFL setting (training camp/practice) If he could really get after the QB you don't think anyone would take a chance on him?

As everyone on this thread has so eloquently stated, Michael Sam had insufficient production on the field & the only reason we know his name is because he made a decision to come out of the closet on the NFL level. 

It's not gonna happen for you Sam. Face facts. Your dreams of playing football are over. We all have dreams of doing something else, but you have to play the hand you have been dealt & move on. 

You seem like a nice guy who will just never make a roster. Now, there's no shame in that...Only if you keep lying to yourself year after year...We all have our gifts, but pass rushing isn't yours. It is what it is. 

Against lower level players.  Two teams saw what this guy can do in an NFL setting (training camp/practice) If he could really get after the QB you don't think anyone would take a chance on him?

No I don't think 32 teams would pass on him unless there was a bigger issue, I don't necessarily think its because he is gay.....Im not sure what the reason is 100% nor do I claim to know...maybe many don't think he is fully committed which I could see...maybe a poor effort in practice player....maybe its because he did garner so much attention before he even took an NFL snap and has exploited it or was going to(A valid reason in my book to not want that drama)...But I don't think the reason he is not on a roster has to do with his abilities...I think he has ability as a rotational pass rusher

This.. the guy just isn't a special talent and before even coming into the league has been using his sexuality to make a name for himself and try to be the representative of the gay community, then when he doesn't make it he's questioning if it's because he's gay.

sorry, but he's just not that good. No better or worse than hundreds/thousands of other players that just didn't quite make the cut, and it's annoying if he keeps bringing his sexuality into it..suggesting that hes got all the talent in the world but that anti gay NFL just won't give him a job.. Boo hoo.

honestly, he probably wouldn't have even been drafted had he not come out and generated tons of publicity about his sexuality.. him doing that probably gave him more of a chance than many others.. he's been with 2 teams now and he hasn't stuck, his veteran combine was average at best and teams just aren't that interested.

Maybe it's just because you're not quite good enough Sam, and has zero to do with your sexuality.

I agree.

Weird, he gets cut from two teams and I think he should be asking himself if he's good enough.  I mean they knew he was gay when the picked him up so I think that rules discrimination out. But he's saying he doesn't know? Why not?  Does he not believe that players get cut all the time for no reason other than the team has other options?

He should work hard and get better

Geez, don't you think it's possible that he's just not good enough?  Because other guys that have the same experience as he's having assume it's because they're not good enough

Non discrimination in this case = he gets cut same as other guys who may or may not be gay,

"I don't want to be known as Michael Sam, the gay football player." 

It's hard to take him seriously, personally. Not only that, but he's not very good.

I agree. He is the one who put himself in the spotlight about being gay instead of letting his play do his talking. IMO other players are going to be politically correct in saying it makes no difference to them but I think there is still a problem in the locker rooms. NFL players learn real quick about not putting themselves out there and end up on the wrong end of the media circus.

Why am I not surprised this came down to "this ?" 

"Hopefully I'm not being discriminated [against] because I'm gay," Sam said Thursday, according to the Star-Telegram. "I don't believe that I'm being discriminated [against] because I'm gay. I just want to know if I'm truly not in the NFL, it's because of talent. Let it be because of my talents. But you've got to prove that I can't play this game. If you look at the film, clearly I can. So, I'll leave it at that. ...

What the heck is that suppose to mean ? " Hopefully it's not because I'm gay. " "I don't think it's because I'm gay." " If you look at the film , it's because I'm gay and I'll leave it at that." Who in God's name is going tho want to mess with this guy now ? I mean really , would anyone expect an NFL team to pick up a fringe prospect that has probably about a 1% chance of being anything more than a PS player and then maybe be called "anti gay." He really should try Canada.. JMO.

I agree. He is the one who put himself in the spotlight about being gay instead of letting his play do his talking. IMO other players are going to be politically correct in saying it makes no difference to them but I think there is still a problem in the locker rooms. NFL players learn real quick about not putting themselves out there and end up on the wrong end of the media circus.

I'm not saying I think he should hide anything about himself, or run from it, or anything. But he's been kind of self-serving, IMO. And for someone who said that this is not what he wants to be known for, he's certainly embraced his role as an ambassador. Between the announcement, the Oprah show, and continuing to talk about it, it's hard not to view him as "the gay football player." He'd probably be better off just politely declining to talk about his sexual orientation.

People work everyday w/o sharing private information about themselves and yet are able to get work done.  Amazing.  Imo, this guy made a predetermined political move and it served him well.  If the NFL doesn't work out, he has made a name for himself and can probably cash in on it. 

This.. the guy just isn't a special talent and before even coming into the league has been using his sexuality to make a name for himself and try to be the representative of the gay community, then when he doesn't make it he's questioning if it's because he's gay.

sorry, but he's just not that good. No better or worse than hundreds/thousands of other players that just didn't quite make the cut, and it's annoying if he keeps bringing his sexuality into it..suggesting that hes got all the talent in the world but that anti gay NFL just won't give him a job.. Boo hoo.

honestly, he probably wouldn't have even been drafted had he not come out and generated tons of publicity about his sexuality.. him doing that probably gave him more of a chance than many others.. he's been with 2 teams now and he hasn't stuck, his veteran combine was average at best and teams just aren't that interested.

Maybe it's just because you're not quite good enough Sam, and has zero to do with your sexuality.

Yeah, that's what troubles me too JM51 can't he just be a football player nobody wants on their team as opposed to the 1st openly gay NFL player? Part of that is how reporters run with this story sure but Sam isn't exactly running away from the same sex fame he is receiving from all this attention either.

No other NFL prospect is introduced with other attachments to their name like a Jewish American LB or a Polynesian DE why should a person's sexual orientation even be brought up at all? Okay, Manti Te'o is Polynesian yes, but he doesn't go out of his way to emphasize something that has no bearing on his ability to be a solid LB for San Diego either.