Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I say bypass NT in the 1st round. Go for Shaq Thompson at SS.

2015-draft-header.jpg

GRADE
2552447.jpg
Shaq Thompson (OLB)

HT: 6'0" WT: 228LBS.

POSITION: OLB

SCHOOL: Washington

ARM LENGTH: 33"

HANDS: 9 1/2"

Overview

In 2014, Thompson was the winner of the fifth annual Paul Hornung Award, given to the nation's most versatile player. Scored six touchdowns in 2014, two as a running back and four on defense (one interception return and three fumble returns). Started at tailback for Huskies at Colorado, rushing for 174 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries and had two receptions for 41 yards. Played in 40 games in his three-year career, finishing with 3.5 sacks, 15 tackles for loss, 16 passes defensed and five fumble recoveries. As a senior at Grant High School in California, named first-team All-America by Rivals.com and was one of six finalists for the U.S. Army National Player of the Year Award. Thompson was a sprinter, long-jumper and a standout baseball player who was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 18th round of the 2012 MLB Draft. Struggled to put a bat on the ball and gave up the sport to concentrate on football.

COMBINE STATS
  • 40 YARD DASH: 4.64 SEC
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 33.5 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 117.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 6.99 SEC
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.08 SEC
  • 60 YARD SHUTTLE: 11.78 SEC

ANALYSIS Strengths

Unmatched diversity in this year's draft. Played outside and inside as a linebacker and took snaps at safety against Stanford. Gained 456 yards rushing, averaging 7.5 yards per carry. Long, with athleticism and movement of running back playing linebacker. Like a magnet to the ball while pursuing in space. Second gear to finish the chase. Wins over top of second-level linemen. Can sink and search for cutback lanes as back-side defender against stretch plays. Glides laterally from gap to gap when playing inside. Reads the quarterback's eyes and shades the throwing lane as zone defender. Transitions easily from pursuit to coverage against play-action. Can cover running backs out of backfield. Instinctive with plus vision and twitch to make the big play. Scored four defensive touchdowns and forced three fumbles in 2014. Frequently attempts to strip ball. Fluid enough in space that safety could be a position consideration for the right team. Can be used as emergency No. 3 running back on game day. Had 19 tackles on special teams over last two seasons in kick and punt coverage. Football intelligence to process offensive and defensive playbooks. Strong work ethic and team-oriented player.

Weaknesses

Scouts question his natural NFL fit. Needs more mass on his frame. Played under listed weight at times. Aggressive, but lacks the play strength to back up his intentions near the line of scrimmage. Fails to consistently leverage his gap when forced inside box. Too easily redirected as blitzer. Gets blasted out of gaps by pulling guards. Must develop hands to keep linemen off of him and improve at slipping blocks. Not fully utilizing explosiveness. Fails to fire downhill and attack on the other side of the line. Ducks head into contact and will lose sight of the ball. Shoulder hitter in space rather than wrap-up tackler. Motor lets up at times when pace quickens.

Sources Tell Us

"He was 219 pounds when I visited late in the season. I'm concerned about whether he will be able to keep enough weight on to be a 4-3 WILL. Until I see him actually play deep as a safety, I'm not sure that is a projection I'm comfortable making." -- AFC North scout

NFL Comparison

Brandon Marshall (Broncos)

Bottom Line

Long, twitchy athlete with outstanding range to become a highly restrictive defender. Able to make plays well outside of his area against both the run and pass. With his big-play potential, Thompson could become a unique chess piece in the hands of the right defensive coordinator, but there are a growing number of teams that are beginning to struggle with whether to project Thompson as a safety or 4-3 outside linebacker.

Related Links
-Lance Zierlein

The kid wants to play linebacker in the NFL.

His coach for most of his college days says his future in the NFL is at linebacker.

Why do we want to draft him at Safety?

No thanks.

READ THE PREVIEW BELOW

Because that is where he fits in best. He can fill in at LB also.  He plays around 225 pounds. Every preview or mock I've seen has him playing Safety. The guy is a football monster. He'll play where a team needs him. He is a can't miss pick.

NFL teams say Shaq Thompson should play strong safety as pro
0ap2000000332421.jpg
College Football 24/7 writer
INDIANAPOLIS -- Where in the world will Shaq Thompson play as a pro?

That was the question many NFL scouts, front office executives and media members were asking the Washington star as he was put through the paces at the NFL Scouting Combine this weekend.

Thompson was listed as a linebacker and performed drills at that position Sunday. A number of teams requested thathe go through running back workouts, and all 28 players that had received a request to work out at a second position went through abbreviated workouts at that second position, NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt reported. Thompson might be an athlete without a position, but it appears that at least two NFL teams think he'll fit best at safety in the pros.

Per Brandt:

Those teams are not alone. NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock ranks Thompson as a safety and the second-best player at the position in this draft.

0ap3000000464227.jpg

NFL Now delivers a non-stop video stream highlighting the next generation of NFL talent in preparation for the 2015 NFL Draft.Start using it now!

Thompson started his college career at safety as a five-star recruit out of high school but bulked up and moved to linebacker. After a number of injuries in the offensive backfield, Huskies coaches moved him to running back in 2014 for several games and Thompson ended up finishing the season fourth on the team in rushing.

"I'm gonna put it out there that I want to play linebacker. But I can't say no to (safety)," Thompson said Friday. "I like to be up by the line of scrimmage. I feel like I'm physical enough. I'm not the biggest guy, but I have a lot of heart."

One of the biggest reasons NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah does not list Thompson among his top 50 players is because of the uncertainty about his position, but his showing in Indianapolis might start to make things clearer on that front for both the player and NFL teams.

READ THE PREVIEW BELOW

Because that is where he fits in best. He can fill in at LB also.  He plays around 225 pounds. Every preview or mock I've seen has him playing Safety. The guy is a football monster. He'll play where a team needs him. He is a can't miss pick.

NFL teams say Shaq Thompson should play strong safety as pro
0ap2000000332421.jpg
College Football 24/7 writer
INDIANAPOLIS -- Where in the world will Shaq Thompson play as a pro?

That was the question many NFL scouts, front office executives and media members were asking the Washington star as he was put through the paces at the NFL Scouting Combine this weekend.

Thompson was listed as a linebacker and performed drills at that position Sunday. A number of teams requested thathe go through running back workouts, and all 28 players that had received a request to work out at a second position went through abbreviated workouts at that second position, NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt reported. Thompson might be an athlete without a position, but it appears that at least two NFL teams think he'll fit best at safety in the pros.

Per Brandt:

Those teams are not alone. NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock ranks Thompson as a safety and the second-best player at the position in this draft.

0ap3000000464227.jpg

NFL Now delivers a non-stop video stream highlighting the next generation of NFL talent in preparation for the 2015 NFL Draft.Start using it now!

Thompson started his college career at safety as a five-star recruit out of high school but bulked up and moved to linebacker. After a number of injuries in the offensive backfield, Huskies coaches moved him to running back in 2014 for several games and Thompson ended up finishing the season fourth on the team in rushing.

"I'm gonna put it out there that I want to play linebacker. But I can't say no to (safety)," Thompson said Friday. "I like to be up by the line of scrimmage. I feel like I'm physical enough. I'm not the biggest guy, but I have a lot of heart."

One of the biggest reasons NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah does not list Thompson among his top 50 players is because of the uncertainty about his position, but his showing in Indianapolis might start to make things clearer on that front for both the player and NFL teams.

He's not a first round talent.

And he doesn't want to play safety.    He's willing to, but he doesn't want to.

He underwhelmed at the combine.   I'm not sure of his status on his pro day?

But Shaq does little for me......

But Shaq does little for me..

I feel you're wrong that he underwhelmed at the combine and he is not 1st round worthy, but all is good and we'll just have to wait and see.

I feel you're wrong that he underwhelmed at the combine and he is not 1st round worthy, but all is good and we'll just have to wait and see.

Ironic.....    you're all over the NFL.com profile for Thompson and it was right there looking at you.....

Here's the link to his "buzzkill" performance at the combine:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000473451/article/vic-beasley-puts-on-combine-show-shaq-thompson-disappoints

I'm not saying Shaq won't be a first round pick,  but I don't think he should be....   if the Colts love him, I hope they target him in the 2nd round.    I'd be much more comfortable with that assuming we're talking about safety.

LATE ADD:

NFL.com rates Thompson as the 57th best player and his position is OLB

ESPN.com rates Thompson as the 62nd best player and his position is OLB

CBSSports.com rates Thompson as the 333rd best player and his position is OLB.

Ironic.....    you're all over the NFL.com profile for Thompson and it was right there looking at you.....

Here's the link to his "buzzkill" performance at the combine:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000473451/article/vic-beasley-puts-on-combine-show-shaq-thompson-disappoints

I'm not saying Shaq won't be a first round pick,  but I don't think he should be....   if the Colts love him, I hope they target him in the 2nd round.    I'd be much more comfortable with that assuming we're talking about safety.

I think he's a second round rated player.. Early second.

LATE ADD:

NFL.com rates Thompson as the 57th best player and his position is OLB

ESPN.com rates Thompson as the 62nd best player and his position is OLB

CBSSports.com rates Thompson as the 333rd best player and his position is OLB.

But Shaq does little for me......

Yeah, I'm not really on the Shaq wagon either.

I'll pass.

I still stay big on the front as I has stated from Day one.  DT is a strength in this draft and we need help up front in a major league way.

Shaq is a tough hombre.  I like him, and I think he will play safety unless he gains some weight.  OGs  and OTs will manhandle him in the NFL.

Im back and forth on Shaq mainly because he has a very quick first step...yet did not excel at any one thing in college. I'd try to get him in the second in a trade down which I think he has a high possibility of slipping to because of the fact he did not excel at any one thing and his size, Once he put on the weight and developed a year I could see him being a hell of a pass rusher

LOL, He excels on both sides of the ball.

College and pros are two different things

Did he truly excell as a Safety?

He is a VERY slow safety by NFL standards

Does he fit a 3-4 OLB? I think he is WAY too small to hold up (he would be one of the smallest, if not the smallest 3-4 OLB in the NFL)

I think his best spot, by far , is week side LB in a 4-3 (Cato June)

If we played a 4-3, he would be an excellent pickup in round 2

Yea 1st round is a stretch although I don't know if I'd necessarily be that disappointed in him.  I really think he can play SS and play up around the line of scrimmage most of the time.  Most of the time he is going to match up with TEs and RBs or play some underneath zone.  The deep zone will be left for the FS spot.  That being said if I drafted him I would probably use another pick on a safety as well which could be difficult looking at the depth in this draft class.  

I can really see the Colts trading back out of the 1st round if none of their main targets fall to them (Collins will be gone.. Kendricks probably too.. Edge rushers probably gone.. maybe not Harold but he may not be 1st round talent either).  I feel like most of the guys we are wanting are either out of our reach or 2nd round picks.  Maybe trading back to early-mid 2nd round and using both 2nd round picks on an ILB, S, DL, or EDGE player combination and getting another draft pick would be a nice move.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Why would you risk a move like this when there are so many solid players available at positions of need?  Picking
Shaq Thompson is a move you make if you have a luxury the Colts do NOT have. They need Defense. And they desperately need it on the D-line. Safety is definitely a position they will have to fill, and there will be a decent batch of talent at the 2-4 round levels. But just say no to Shaq. Way to big a risk.

Edited by 21isSuperman

I'm not sure where this project player stuff is coming from. He was a three year starter and played well from day one. He's a flat out playmaker. He just doesn't fit what the Colts defense does. If Dungy was still here, he would be a phenomenal pick.

I'm not sure where this project player stuff is coming from. 

You have to understand that most people here don't actually watch much, if any of the players they remark on. 

People here still think that Werner was some type of project coming out of FSU when he wasn't even close to that. 

You have to understand that most people here don't actually watch much, if any of the players they remark on. 

People here still think that Werner was some type of project coming out of FSU when he wasn't even close to that. 

I'm not sure that's an accurate comment about Werner.

I don't get the sense that people thought he was a project as a player.

But he IS a project as a conversion from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB.  

Is that even in dispute?

I'm not sure that's an accurate comment about Werner.

I don't get the sense that people thought he was a project as a player.

A lot of people still think he was a raw, high-ceiling player coming out of FSU, when it's basically the exact opposite.

A lot of people still think he was a raw, high-ceiling player coming out of FSU, when it's basically the exact opposite.

Well....   he was new to football....   so, people think of him as raw.....

And he was being converted, so people think of him as a project....

Also....   most people here are very, very inexact, or imprecise with their wording.     They mean one thing, but the way they say it often means something else....    I think that compounds the problem of perception....

Well....   he was knew to football....   so, people think of him as raw.....

I don't know what the baseline is for new, but he played football for 5 year before he was drafted. Started two years in college. 

Also....   most people here are very, very inexact, or imprecise with their wording.     They mean one thing, but the way they say it often means something else....    I think that compounds the problem of perception....

Could be.