Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Martin

Just read Jonathan Martin was released today by the 49ers. 

Wondering if he'll end up with Standford central = the Indy Colts.

Frank Gore should be able give the staff up close info on him from this past season as 

they were team mates.

I think the 9ers were running the same power run game stuff the Colts want to run, so 

we may see Martin in camp unless another team offers a lot more money. 

Peace

If you all are saying he's "soft" because he lacks physical toughness and a mean streak on the field then yeah that's fine. If you are saying he's "soft", "a cupcake", etc... because of the Dolphins bullying stuff, then you really need to get over yourself. Everyone one of you can be broken mentally too, it's not about being a "man" or any of that macho bull-crap.

If you all are saying he's "soft" because he lacks physical toughness and a mean streak on the field then yeah that's fine. If you are saying he's "soft", "a cupcake", etc... because of the Dolphins bullying stuff, then you really need to get over yourself. Everyone one of you can be broken mentally too, it's not about being a "man" or any of that macho bull-crap.

Thank you. You are spot on.

Icognito is a complete jerk but even so Martin should not have been bullied if he just stood up for himself

We need players that can stand up for themselves not ones that can intimidated 

A player can be an absolute home wrecker on the field....and come home to visit his father, and end up laying on the floor in fear of pure intimidation. Assuming that not standing up against abuse equates to toughness on the field is not an informed position. It looks all cool and stuff to say things like that, but it is not necessarily reality.

Agree Agree Agree

Maybe it is because  Martin struggled mightily while playing for right tackle Anthony Davis, who missed nine games. Martin, at times, was tossed around in the run game and yielded six sacks, which was second most on the team.

The guy just isn't very good. There is no reason to bring him in to figure that out.

I feel bad that he was bullied by Richie Incognito in Miami & I will never call him soft because I'd probably have issues with constantly being harassed in my workplace environment too. 

The GM side of personality says don't bring him into INDY because he never dazzled me that much on the field. I wish him well, but we can flourish without him. 

Plus, you never know what kind of lingering effects constant torment has on an athlete. If they struggle against a superior peer across from them, will they fold like a cheap tent as bad flashbacks re-emerge? 

This.

First of all I think Martin has depression or at least at the time had depression.  Depressed people don't tend to stand up for themselves and could be bullied by someone half their size.

Secondly and more importantly Incognito was part of the "leadership group" with the Dolphins.  I don't know about you but if I go into a new job and someone tells me that this is my leader and that I should follow him and learn from him, getting into a fight with the guy doesn't seem like a wise career move.  

Remember there where other players who reported similar experiences there and didn't get into a fight either.  This wasn't just Martin. . . Martin's name is known because of 2 things. . . 1 is his draft status and 2 is that he was the one that broke and quit.

Personally I wouldn't mind having him as a backup.  I know a lot of people don't like him and all but we got nothing at backup.  Reitz is terrible when put in at tackle.  I'm guessing Martin is an upgrade over Reitz at tackle and would likely be cheap.

On April 29, 2013, the Colts traded Hughes to the Buffalo Bills for linebacker Kelvin Sheppard.[10] Hughes finished his first season with the Bills by making 46 tackles, 10 sacks and 2 forced fumbles in 16 games (started 1).[11] He was also named to the USA Today All-Joe Team.[12]

On March 9, 2015, the Bills and Hughes agreed to a 5-year contract worth at least $45M. [13]

IMO Some players do better in a different environment although I have my reservations I believe Ryan Grigson cannot rule out any opportunity to make the O-line better I say there is no reason this guy can't be a camp body who could actually contribute he has friends here & the confidence of Andrew Luck .

I want the line on both sides of the ball fixed . I'v seen Colts failures go on & do things we needed them to do IMO they just fit in better on there next teams not many but some .

Jonathan Martin gets criticized for his play while with the Forty-Niners but doesn't get any credit for actually playing. If he was as bad as some believe, he wouldn't have been playing behind Anthony Davis. He was also a starter for Miami. 

I think it would be worth bringing him in for an open competition during camp. If he is not as good as who we have on the roster currently then we can release him.

Jonathan Martin gets criticized for his play while with the Forty-Niners but doesn't get any credit for actually playing. If he was as bad as some believe, he wouldn't have been playing behind Anthony Davis. He was also a starter for Miami. 

I think it would be worth bringing him in for an open competition during camp. If he is not as good as who we have on the roster currently then we can release him.

There are a lot of bad linemen starting in the NFL. That's not really a sign of quality.

They didn't show much interest when he was available last year. I doubt they're interested now.

Colts were interested though, 49ers 7th was better that the Colts 7th

"According to FOXSports’ Mike Garafolo, both the Indianapolis Colts and Minnesota Vikings showed an interest in acquiring Martin before he was dealt to the Niners on late Tuesday night."

Colts were interested though, 49ers 7th was better that the Colts 7th

"According to FOXSports’ Mike Garafolo, both the Indianapolis Colts and Minnesota Vikings showed an interest in acquiring Martin before he was dealt to the Niners on late Tuesday night."

I forgot that they traded for him. I was thinking he was a free agent. 

There are a lot of bad linemen starting in the NFL. That's not really a sign of quality.

I am not advocating that Martin is a "quality" O-lineman. If he were he would not have been released. I do think, however, that there is something there worth looking into. Also, he must have been better than who ever was previously behind Davis to take his place in the rotation as a back-up. If we bring him into camp one of two things can happen:

1. Scenario 1: He proves he is not good and he is released;

2. Scenario 2: He proves he is better than someone we currently have on the roster and is retained.

If our FO thinks that there is no chance for scenario #2 or knows something that we don't about Martin, then I'm okay with that.

So pat him on the back and say "Good job son.....but not good enough"

football isn't PE class, you don't get a participation grade

I am not advocating that Martin is a "quality" O-lineman. If he were he would not have been released. I do think, however, that there is something there worth looking into. Also, he must have been better than who ever was previously behind Davis to take his place in the rotation as a back-up. If we bring him into camp one of two things can happen:

1. Scenario 1: He proves he is not good and he is released;

2. Scenario 2: He proves he is better than someone we currently have on the roster and is retained.

If our FO thinks that there is no chance for scenario #2 or knows something that we don't about Martin, then I'm okay with that.

I'm not arguing against bringing him in and seeing what happens, although I don't think much of him as a player. I'm only saying that the fact that he was playing doesn't mean that he's worthy of a roster spot for us. I think that's a false premise.

I'm not arguing against bringing him in and seeing what happens, although I don't think much of him as a player. I'm only saying that the fact that he was playing doesn't mean that he's worthy of a roster spot for us. I think that's a false premise.

I don't think that because he was playing, he's worthy of a roster spot either...we agree on this.

I just wanted to point out that some peoples' reaction to Martin is to immediately label him as a bust or not good at all. I mentioned him playing to point out that he was good enough to play over others on the Miami and SF roster, signifying that he's not as bad as some believe.

I, like you, don't think he's good, but I don't think he's terrible either. With our O-line I'm always for looking at ways to improve and there may be something there to look into with Martin.

It would cost the team next to nothing to bring him and give him a look.

If he pans out -- great -- an unexpected find.

He he doesn't work out -- no problem -- he gets cut.

JM will not be a problem for the locker-room.    He wasn't at Stanford, and he wasn't with the 49ers.

It was only a problem with Miami, and that was a locker-room that was found to be out of control.

The Colts don't have that problem,  we have one of the best locker-rooms in the NFL.

All we have to focus on is......   can he play?     If he can, great, and if he can't,  he gets cut.

I don't see a problem.