Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Because it's Thursday MOCK DRAFT

The more I think about the draft, the more I am convinced this draft is closer to the 2013 draft as it has solid talent, but few stars. 

A couple of thoughts for my mock:

(1) Our run defense has not improved at all this offseason. I see Kendall Langford as net zero swap for RJF. We need some talented beef in the middle of the line and need to trade to obtain such. 

(2) Our secondary may be a tad in flux within the next year. Toler is a free agent after the season, and he was fairly inconsistent last year. 

(3) With the recent signing of Nate Irving, I am less concerned about the ILB position than most. I still want to see Henouc Muamba get a shot. I am hoping to see a vastly improved Muamba in camp. 

(4) I would love to add an offensive lineman like Jarvis Harrison (OG Texas A&M) in the middle rounds but found it difficult to pass on a defensive playmaker like Tull. I doubt Harrison lasts until our 4th round pick. 

2015 NFL Mock Draft

1.) Danny Shelton - DT Washington - 6'2" 335lbs

(TRADE: St. Louis #10 pick for 2015 1st and 2nd round pick, 2016 2nd round pick)

A player who needs no introduction, but would VASTLY improve our defense. We have got to improve against the run. Pagano said recently our run defense is our achilles heel. I am hoping Chicago goes with Amari Cooper at #7 which should allow Shelton to drop to #10. I feel we need to get ahead of Cleveland at #12. St. Louis has many needs, but dropping back could allow them to take Maxx Williams or Jaelen Strong at #29 and add perhaps a Phillip Dorsett in the 2nd plus a top tier running back. 

3.) Ifo Ekpre-Olomu - CB Oregon - 5'9" 192 lbs

My caveat with this pick is that his knee is healing properly. The knee injury drops him, hopefully this far. He is a first round talent, plain and simple. We need to improve our corner play. He could sit out the first half of the season or even PUP the full year and be a likely starter in 2016. Aaron Colvin came back last year after a knee injury. Ifo can be a top notch compliment to Vontae Davis and really enhance our secondary. 

4.) Davis Tull - OLB Chattanooga - 6'2" 246 lbs 

A player who seems to be rising up the boards. He ran a 4.57 at his pro day. 4 year starter and 3 time Southern Conference Defensive Player of the Year. Relentless and tough are words used to describe him. You cannot have enough quality pass rushers. 

5.) James Sample - S Louisville - 6'2 209 lbs

Hopefully will still be available in the 5th round. Big time potential. Only started one year at Louisville. 74 tackles and 4 picks in 2014. 

6.) Derrick Lott - DT Chattanooga - 6'4" 314lbs

Transfer from Georgia. He has the size and athleticism teams crave. 4.99 second 40 time. A little older for a rookie, 24 years old I believe. He may need a year of seasoning but he could create some great competition with Kerr and Hughes. 

6.) Bobby McCaine - CB Memphis - 5'9" 195 lbs

Another player whose stock is on the rise. Smaller but well built. Can play press coverage, aggressive corner. Can also return kicks. Should be an upgrade over Josh Gordy. 

7.) Terrell Watson - RB Azusa Pacific - 6'1" 240lbs

Sleeper pick who was recently highlighted on Bleacher Report as he ran a 4.49 and 4.51 forty. Division II player who dominated. 5,756 total yards and 78 touchdowns with 2,153 yards and 29 touchdowns coming his senior year. I like him to develop for a year. Personally, I really like the potential of Zurlon Tipton. Watson has potential and with his size could be an intriguing addition if he pans out. 

It depends on supply and demand. If a team wants to trade back, and the offers to move up are less than stellar, I feel we can pull this type of deal off. I did not consult the trade value chart. 

At this point, I do not see a ton of demand to move up into the #10 to #12 range. Perhaps a team will move up for DeVante Parker, but I don't see a big move otherwise. I think Shelton is an acquired taste for teams. He is a run stopper above all else. 

I am very likely wrong, but I would seek a trade like this, and I feel we could get some play by offering such. 

It depends on supply and demand. If a team wants to trade back, and the offers to move up are less than stellar, I feel we can pull this type of deal off. I did not consult the trade value chart. 

At this point, I do not see a ton of demand to move up into the #10 to #12 range. Perhaps a team will move up for DeVante Parker, but I don't see a big move otherwise. I think Shelton is an acquired taste for teams. He is a run stopper above all else. 

I am very likely wrong, but I would seek a trade like this, and I feel we could get some play by offering such. 

Really do NOT like this trade. The Colts need to get an extra pick if they trade, not give up the ranch. If I were the Colts, I would have my D-linemen and D-backs picked out that would be acceptable at 29, and if none are available, accept a trade that they are dangling out there for the hungry team with a top 8-10 pick in the second and third rounds. Getting four of the picks in the top 100 is better than three. But only if the first round Board is shot by all of their choices going earlier.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Really do NOT like this trade. The Colts need to get an extra pick if they trade, not give up the ranch. If I were the Colts, I would have my D-linemen and D-backs picked out that would be acceptable at 29, and if none are available, accept a trade that they are dangling out there for the hungry team with a top 8-10 pick in the second and third rounds. Getting four of the picks in the top 100 is better than three. But only if the first round Board is shot by all of their choices going earlier.

I have no problem with trading back if there is no one available worth taking, and we cannot trade up for a decent price. I just don't feel the talent in this draft is all that great. I do feel that Shelton can be a top tier nose tackle, worth the price. 

Consider this, in 2013 we took Bjoern Werner, Hugh Thornton, and Khaled Holmes with our 1st, 3rd, and 4th round pick. Would you rather have those three guys or Star Lotulelei who went at #14? Sometimes (not always) it is worth the price to trade up. I would not give up our 2016 first rounder, but I like this trade I have proposed as a worthwhile trade to dramatically improve the D. 

If we want to be Super Bowl contenders, we have to improve our run defense. Shelton can do that. Trading two second rounders is hardly "giving up the ranch." In my opinion, this is a worthwhile trade. 

I personally do not like this trade at all, I don't think it is worth the cost to move up. It has been proven time and time again in the history of the draft that it isn't worth it. However, I really like your picks for rounds 4-7.

I disagree. However, it all depends on how you use the picks. 

Was the Julio Jones trade a success? Depends how you look at it. Atlanta could have taken Muhammed Wilkerson, Randall Cobb, Julius Thomas, and David DeCastro with the picks they gave up. A formidable haul. However, the picks ended up being Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Owen Maricic, and Brandon Weeden. A general waste of picks by the Browns. 

Again, in 2013 we could have possibly traded our 1st (Werner), 3rd (Thornton), and 4th (Holmes) to move up and take Star Lotulelei or Sheldon Richardson. I think we would all make that trade in hindsight IF it was available. 

There is a lot of uncertainty in the draft. My point here is that, sometimes it is good to trade up. In my opinion this is one of those times. Shelton, in my opinion, is worth the trade. 

I disagree. However, it all depends on how you use the picks. 

Was the Julio Jones trade a success? Depends how you look at it. Atlanta could have taken Muhammed Wilkerson, Randall Cobb, Julius Thomas, and David DeCastro with the picks they gave up. A formidable haul. However, the picks ended up being Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Owen Maricic, and Brandon Weeden. A general waste of picks by the Browns. 

Again, in 2013 we could have possibly traded our 1st (Werner), 3rd (Thornton), and 4th (Holmes) to move up and take Star Lotulelei or Sheldon Richardson. I think we would all make that trade in hindsight IF it was available. 

There is a lot of uncertainty in the draft. My point here is that, sometimes it is good to trade up. In my opinion this is one of those times. Shelton, in my opinion, is worth the trade. 

The draft is a big guessing game, and that is why I feel giving up so much to move forward in the draft is typically not worth it. I agree there is certain instances where it should be considered though. I personally feel that other than moving up a few places to grab a falling prospect that it just costs too much to move from 25+ to top 15. I guess I can see your point as well, I guess I just look at it differently than you which is all good, everyone is different. Good info to support your argument though.

I think Shelton is going to Chicago at 7 they are moving to a 3-4.

our run defense isn't as bad as you make it out to be. You make it sound like everyone was running it down our throats. The top 5 rushers in the NFL last year, we played 4 of them:

1. Murray 22/58 td

2. Bell 24/92

3. McCoy 17/79 td

4. Lynch DNP

5. Forsett 7-42 td

Jeremy Hill was the leading rusher in the NFL from week 8 on. In the first round of the playoffs 13/47.

Second round of playoffs we held Denver to 88 total rushing yards.

Excluding NE ONE back had a 100 yard game on our D the whole season. That was Foster 108 in Houston then close 99 in INDY.

You throw out week 17 no back went over 67 in regular season except Foster Bell and Shady that didn't play for NE. Green put up 97 vs a lot of second team players wk 17.

The only team that ran the ball all over us was NE. We finished the season ranked 18th in rushing yards per game 113.4 throw out the NE game we were 9th at 104.5 yards a game.

We weren't easy to run on last year and will be tougher with Langford and hopefully a more focused Hughes Kerr with a year under his belt a healthy Art Jones. And whoever we add in the draft.

We need to figure out why this team doesn't compete vs NE and that problem isn't isolated to our rush D.

our run defense isn't as bad as you make it out to be. You make it sound like everyone was running it down our throats. The top 5 rushers in the NFL last year, we played 4 of them:

1. Murray 22/58 td

2. Bell 24/92

3. McCoy 17/79 td

4. Lynch DNP

5. Forsett 7-42 td

Jeremy Hill was the leading rusher in the NFL from week 8 on. In the first round of the playoffs 13/47.

Excluding NE ONE back had a 100 yard game on our D the whole season. That was Foster 108 in Houston then close 99 in INDY.

You throw out week 17 no back went over 67 in regular season except Foster Bell and Shady that didn't play for NE. Green put up 97 vs a lot of second team players wk 17.

The only team that ran the ball all over us was NE. We finished the season ranked 18th in rushing yards per game 113.4 throw out the NE game we were 9th at 104.5 yards a game.

We weren't easy to run on last year and will be tougher with Langford and hopefully a more focused Hughes Kerr with a year under his belt a healthy Art Jones. And whoever we add in the draft.

We need to figure out why this team doesn't compete vs NE and that problem isn't isolated to our rush D.

Very well stated. I think the Safety, Corner, and OL is more needy.

1st round I agree.  It's just too expensive picks-wise.  In 2012, trading up in the 3rd to get T.Y. was excellent and cost us a lot less.  Depends on the situation, but I'm definitely against trading up in the 1st.

Agreed I am not talking about moving up, down etc ... mid to late in the draft (maybe 2nd if the price is great and someone unbelievable is sitting there) .... I was mainly talking about the first round, where you're "selling the farm" to move up just a few spots, and basically selling off body parts to move up any significant amount. There is no one in the first round we that is worth that price to us in our situation (many needs).

Although personally I am almost always in favor of trading back.

1. Murray 22/58 td

2. Bell 24/92

3. McCoy 17/79 td

4. Lynch DNP

5. Forsett 7-42 td

Well said! There is too much panic over our 2 NE games, and people are wanting to base the Colts whole draft strategy around that.

I have no problem with trading back if there is no one available worth taking, and we cannot trade up for a decent price. I just don't feel the talent in this draft is all that great. I do feel that Shelton can be a top tier nose tackle, worth the price. 

Consider this, in 2013 we took Bjoern Werner, Hugh Thornton, and Khaled Holmes with our 1st, 3rd, and 4th round pick. Would you rather have those three guys or Star Lotulelei who went at #14? Sometimes (not always) it is worth the price to trade up. I would not give up our 2016 first rounder, but I like this trade I have proposed as a worthwhile trade to dramatically improve the D. 

If we want to be Super Bowl contenders, we have to improve our run defense. Shelton can do that. Trading two second rounders is hardly "giving up the ranch." In my opinion, this is a worthwhile trade. 

I look at it this way, if we had traded down we could have had Werner in the 2nd, Warford in the 3rd and who knows how it goes after that.

There is no one in this draft worth moving up for, IMO.