Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GMs with the most drafted Pro Bowlers

21isSuperman

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000481490/active-gms-with-best-record-of-drafting-pro-bowlers

To save you a click (percentage indicates what percentage of players each GM drafted became Pro Bowlers, the number after indicates how many players in total):

T-10: Ryan Grigson - 9.09% (2)

T-10: Ozzie Newsome - 9.09% (10)

9. Mike Brown - 9.52% (20)

8. Rick Spielman - 10.34% (3)

7. Ted Thompson - 10.42% (10)

6. Bill Belichick - 10.53% (14)

5. Kevin Colbert - 12.30% (15)

4. Rick Smith - 12.33% (9)

3. John Schneider - 14.58% (7)

2. Mickey Loomis - 14.60% (12)

1. Jerry Jones - 14.72% (34)

I'd be interested to see what the stats are for how many Pro Bowlers per draft or per draft pick.  Guys like Jerry Jones and Mike Brown have been doing it for so long that it's no surprise they have 34 and 20 Pro Bowl players.  You can also get into issues of whether or not the Pro Bowl means much (John Kuhn has made the Pro Bowl, for example, and people like Andy Dalton only get in after someone like Brady decides to not go).  And you can get into issues of whether a player making multiple Pro Bowls should be counted multiple times.  By the current method, drafting a guy like Aaron Rodgers has the same impact as drafting a guy like John Kuhn or Andy Dalton.  Regardless, it's an interesting little piece. 

It's cool to see Grigson is already in the top 11 after just a few years on the job.  If guys like Newsome and Mewhort develop well, that alone would double Grigson's tally as of now.  I also fully expect Fleener or Allen (though most likely both) to make at least one Pro Bowl, too.  And Moncrief is a pretty solid bet, if you ask me.  The 2013 draft was an absolute mess, but 2012 and 2014 were both solid in terms of Pro Bowl potential

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000481490/active-gms-with-best-record-of-drafting-pro-bowlers

To save you a click (percentage indicates what percentage of players each GM drafted became Pro Bowlers, the number after indicates how many players in total):

I'd be interested to see what the stats are for how many Pro Bowlers per draft or per draft pick.  Guys like Jerry Jones and Mike Brown have been doing it for so long that it's no surprise they have 34 and 20 Pro Bowl players.  You can also get into issues of whether or not the Pro Bowl means much (John Kuhn has made the Pro Bowl, for example, and people like Andy Dalton only get in after someone like Brady decides to not go).  And you can get into issues of whether a player making multiple Pro Bowls should be counted multiple times.  By the current method, drafting a guy like Aaron Rodgers has the same impact as drafting a guy like John Kuhn or Andy Dalton.  Regardless, it's an interesting little piece. 

It's cool to see Grigson is already in the top 11 after just a few years on the job.  If guys like Newsome and Mewhort develop well, that alone would double Grigson's tally as of now.  I also fully expect Fleener or Allen (though most likely both) to make at least one Pro Bowl, too.  And Moncrief is a pretty solid bet, if you ask me.  The 2013 draft was an absolute mess, but 2012 and 2014 were both solid in terms of Pro Bowl potential

Several things stick out to me about #1 and #10.  People who are making fun of Jerry Jones are absolutely crazy!  Do you not remember the dynasty they had in the 90's.  Granted not all of their guys were drafted but he's made some good pickups over the years.  I actually think he has a good eye for talent, but his main problems is that he tries to do more than he should, and the guys that he selects may not fit the system or have a good chemistry with the rest of the team.  For raw talent, he does well tho!

Now to Mr. Grigson.  He only has 2 pro bowlers?  Meaning Luck and Hilton.  Luck is obvious.  Well any #1 overall pick so be destined for the pro bowl within 3 years, IMO.  Or else they're not worthy of a #1 overall pick.  TY coming from a middle round, that is a good example of hitting a home run on an average pick!  I realize Allen and Fleener (maybe Moncrief, time will tell) are good enough to make the pro bowl, and probably will, eventually, but if the Colts want to sustain dominance throughout Luck's career Grigson MUST do a better job in the draft. 

Several things stick out to me about #1 and #10.  People who are making fun of Jerry Jones are absolutely crazy!  Do you not remember the dynasty they had in the 90's.  Granted not all of their guys were drafted but he's made some good pickups over the years.  I actually think he has a good eye for talent, but his main problems is that he tries to do more than he should, and the guys that he selects may not fit the system or have a good chemistry with the rest of the team.  For raw talent, he does well tho!

Now to Mr. Grigson.  He only has 2 pro bowlers?  Meaning Luck and Hilton.  Luck is obvious.  Well any #1 overall pick so be destined for the pro bowl within 3 years, IMO.  Or else they're not worthy of a #1 overall pick.  TY coming from a middle round, that is a good example of hitting a home run on an average pick!  I realize Allen and Fleener (maybe Moncrief, time will tell) are good enough to make the pro bowl, and probably will, eventually, but if the Colts want to sustain dominance throughout Luck's career Grigson MUST do a better job in the draft. 

At the same time, though, Grigson's players haven't had as much time to develop.  So while you go get rookies in the Pro Bowl, it's much more common to see a guy develop for a few years, then make some Pro Bowls.  So in that sense, you can't blame Grigson for not drafting more Pro Bowlers.  At the same time, I do think our drafts need to be better.  The 2013 draft was brutal

I'd be interested to see what the stats are for how many Pro Bowlers per draft or per draft pick. Guys like Jerry Jones and Mike Brown have been doing it for so long that it's no surprise they have 34 and 20 Pro Bowl players. You can also get into issues of whether or not the Pro Bowl means much (John Kuhn has made the Pro Bowl, for example, and people like Andy Dalton only get in after someone like Brady decides to not go). And you can get into issues of whether a player making multiple Pro Bowls should be counted multiple times. By the current method, drafting a guy like Aaron Rodgers has the same impact as drafting a guy like John Kuhn or Andy Dalton. Regardless, it's an interesting little piece.

It's cool to see Grigson is already in the top 11 after just a few years on the job. If guys like Newsome and Mewhort develop well, that alone would double Grigson's tally as of now. I also fully expect Fleener or Allen (though most likely both) to make at least one Pro Bowl, too. And Moncrief is a pretty solid bet, if you ask me. The 2013 draft was an absolute mess, but 2012 and 2014 were both solid in terms of Pro Bowl potential

Spielman has been the GM of the Vikings for only 3 years but he has had 29 picks during that time. He is 8th on this list of percentage of Pro Bowl players drafted. He should be higher because Harrison Smith has not made the Pro Bowl although he is ranked as a top 5 safety. He should have made it last year. I also think Sharif Floyd and Xavier Rhodes should make the Pro Bowl next year. That percentage for Spielman should go up next year.

Spielman has been the GM of the Vikings for only 3 years but he has had 29 picks during that time. He is 8th on this list of percentage of Pro Bowl players drafted. He should be higher because Harrison Smith has not made the Pro Bowl although he is ranked as a top 5 safety. He should have made it last year. I also think Sharif Floyd and Xavier Rhodes should make the Pro Bowl next year. That percentage for Spielman should go up next year.

I really did not expect to see him on the list.  He hasn't been the GM very long, as you said.  But his draft history is pretty solid by the looks of it.

it means hes had a lot more opportunities to draft players

The list is by percentages,  NOT by pure total number.

If you want to attack the list,  if they're calling Jones the GM since he bought the team, then they're giving him credit for the players that Jimmy Johnson picked.

I really did not expect to see him on the list. He hasn't been the GM very long, as you said. But his draft history is pretty solid by the looks of it.

What's interesting is that the 3 players who made the Pro Bowl are not among his best draft picks. The 3 Pro Bowlers are Matt Kalil, Cordarrelle Patterson and Jeff Locke. As I mentioned in the previous post, Harrison Smith, Xavier Rhodes, Sharif Floyd, and Anthony Barr are better players. And, of course, we are very optimistic about the future with Teddy Bridgewater.

How many of Jerry's picks were a product of the Hershel Walker trade and the subsequent picks orchestrated by Jimmy Johnson?  If those are credited to Jerry then I would say this data is only technically accurate.  Jerry as a GM has been mostly a tool until very recently. I do think it's an interesting view however, is there a free agent grading system out there anywhere?  NOT opinion based?  If you could combine wins, FA success, draft success and cap management you could have an interesting GM dashbaord.

how many of Jerry's picks can be attributed to Jimmy Johnson? I wouldn't doubt that it could be more than half.