Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading for a Safety?

byrddawg

It is an agreed topic that we are short a starting safety at this point.  Who is a safety we could trade for and whom do we have available to trade?  We have nine draft picks of which one could be put in with a deal.  The challenge is finding the safety that we want on a team that has a position need and we have a player or players we are willing to give up to fill our need.  Looking at safety stats for last year Aaron Williams of Buffalo would be a consideration. He is only 24 (their oldest at the position) but what do they need that we have.  I would have no problem assisting the Bills in their quest to dethrone the Pats.  Any other ideas or thoughts?

It is an agreed topic that we are short a starting safety at this point.  Who is a safety we could trade for and whom do we have available to trade?  We have nine draft picks of which one could be put in with a deal.  The challenge is finding the safety that we want on a team that has a position need and we have a player or players we are willing to give up to fill our need.  Looking at safety stats for last year Aaron Williams of Buffalo would be a consideration. He is only 24 (their oldest at the position) but what do they need that we have.  I would have no problem assisting the Bills in their quest to dethrone the Pats.  Any other ideas or thoughts?

Yes, we draft a safety like Cody Prewitt, Anthony Harris or Jaquiski Tartt in the 2nd or 3rd round. We don't need to trade for someone's leftovers. The best way to build a team is through the NFL draft. There are a lot of safeties we could get in the draft that will fit our system and scheme that are 22 years old and excellent players. Rather get one of those.

Given Pagano's comments at the Annual League Meetings, I would be shocked if they were not exploring this option.

I don't think there will be any value trades out there though.

I'd pluck Dion Bailey off the Seahawks Reserve/Future contract list....Which I think is allowed. Don't have to get give up anything and he can be played as a Safety/linebacker hybrid, He can cover and hit

It's not allowed. As a matter of fact, the future list is done once the new league year started. You can sign him off the practice squad, but there is no practice squad until Week 1, and by then you could have grabbed him off waivers.

So there's no plucking until he's either waived or signed to a practice squad.

With Grigson's track record I wouldn't rule anything out. We clearly need another starting safety. Rather that player comes through the draft or a trade or even late free agency doesn't matter. I am sure all three are options right now.

Got that right GoColts8818! With Grigs, every single option could be on his venue. So yeah, nothing is ruled out like you say. The need for safety is certainly no secret. Will be "extremely" interesting to see how this thing plays out with the multiple possibilities he has.

If we were going to sign a FA we most likely would have done so by now.

Any safety that might be on the block isn't likely to be that great. Matt Elam go demoted, Kenny Vaccaro had horrific season last year.

Even if we looked at Tashaun Gipson again. I'd be perfectly happy giving up a 2nd round pick for him. But considering the cap space that the Browns have and the lack of big-time future commitments the Browns have contract-wise, I'd say that whatever we gave him they would match it. Which does beg the question why haven't made a slightly low ball offer to him. Even if the Browns match it, it eats up their cap space and wont cost us anything. 

I'd say we draft a safety in the first 3-4 rounds.

Personally I like either Derron Smith and Adrian Amos. I wouldn't hate us taking two safeties. 

Any safety that might be on the block isn't likely to be that great. Matt Elam go demoted, Kenny Vaccaro had horrific season last year.

Even if we looked at Tashaun Gipson again. I'd be perfectly happy giving up a 2nd round pick for him. But considering the cap space that the Browns have and the lack of big-time future commitments the Browns have contract-wise, I'd say that whatever we gave him they would match it. Which does beg the question why haven't made a slightly low ball offer to him. Even if the Browns match it, it eats up their cap space and wont cost us anything. 

Personally I like either Derron Smith and Adrian Amos. I wouldn't hate us taking two safeties

I'm not gonna claim to be a scouting expert or anything like that, but every single source I have come across has labelled this as one of the weakest safety drafts for a while. I would prefer we drafted D-line and LB's in the first 3-4 rounds. I'd rather we address the safety position with current roster players or after teams start trimming their rosters down. We got Mike Adams really late last season, look what he accomplished.

Personally I like either Derron Smith and Adrian Amos. I wouldn't hate us taking two safeties. 

I like Derron Smith in pass coverage, but he seems a bit timid against the run.  He'll stick his nose in there every now and then, but he's not like Bethea was with tackling. 

I doubt the front office is looking to make a trade for a safety, but I have been shocked before.

Reshad Jones from Miami might be an option for 4th rounder. Miami may need to open up a little book space after signing Suh.

Only other way I can think of possibly picking up a solid safety would be drafting Tartt or Rollins in the 2nd. I know Rollins still has to convert from corner to S but I think he has the skill set to translate relatively smoothly.

Also, picking up Clayton Geathers or James Sample in the 4th could be an option instead.

If we did not draft a safety, I would be shocked. Assuming it is a done deal, I would caution against thinking that player would start opening day. There is a fairly common thought that draft picks are going to be year one starters to fill holes. If this front office truly felt they needed a S in the draft to fill a starting role, I would be pretty disappointed.  Depth...yes. Perhaps a starter next year or even later this season. Youth, speed, and talent are awesome and something to get excited about, but knowledge of the NFL and experience game planning for NFL level OC's is far more valuable. 

Next, the thought that this is a weak draft for the S position has no merit on finding a future fixture at the position somewhere in this draft. Weak simply means less blue chippers, but as history tells us, round of selection and predraft ranking seldom predicts the future of the player. 

I'm slowly coming around to the Quentin Rollins as a safety option in the draft bandwagon.

Eric Rowe is getting a lot of buzz lately and could be on the colts radar. Like Collins, there is a divide on where he will play in the pros...cb or safety.

The colts have don't almost nothing in the way of safety this year, signing adams back was great if he plays like last year. I strongly believe depending on how it all falls, the colts trade UP in the draft and go for Collins. I really like Rowe, versatile and can cover those slot WRs. I would be happy with either. I also think we draft at a min 3 dbs this year, Toler worries me. We are one injury away from a deplorable secondary 

"I would have no problem assisting the Bills in their quest to dethrone the Pats."

Amen to that, brother! :) However, as long as "the Emperor" (as I like to call him from Star Wars movies) resides in Massachusetts it will be a tough time for the AFC. The dark side "hoodie" is an incredible coaching genius. Wish it were different. The man knows how to win in the NFL. Must give credit where credit is due. It sure would be nice if he decided to retire. Never gonna happen as long as he has breath in his lungs, IMO! :)

During the Saints fire sale I thought Kenny Vaccaro could be an option, but i think that would have happened by now if he were available. Matt Elam has been relegated to backup in Baltimore and could be available, but he's not that good really.

that is who i was hoping we could have went after when the saints opened up about trading anyone except Brees. give a 4th or 5th and 6th or 7th rounder for him. Elam isn't that bad. have seen worst and he is still young. 

"I would have no problem assisting the Bills in their quest to dethrone the Pats."

Amen to that, brother! :) However, as long as "the Emperor" (as I like to call him from Star Wars movies) resides in Massachusetts it will be a tough time for the AFC. The dark side "hoodie" is an incredible coaching genius. Wish it were different. The man knows how to win in the NFL. Must give credit where credit is due. It sure would be nice if he decided to retire. Never gonna happen as long as he has breath in his lungs, IMO! :)

although he is a genius when it comes to coaching, i don't think he does it with out Brady back there. yeah we can all say he did it with Cassell, but can he do it every year? heck who am i kidding, he would probably make Vince Young look like a hall of famer.  :facepalm:

although he is a genius when it comes to coaching, i don't think he does it with out Brady back there. yeah we can all say he did it with Cassell, but can he do it every year? heck who am i kidding, he would probably make Vince Young look like a hall of famer.  :facepalm:

Yeah, "In Luck We Trust", Tom Brady is (IMHO) a good QB behind "mediocre O-Lines". However, that's not the reality of his tenure in New England all of this time under Bill Belichick. Brady has had "TREMENDOUS" O-Lines just about every single year. Is that attributable to Belichick and his staff? You better believe it! Can you imagine Peyton Manning behind those lines the last 14-15 years?

The thought of it is frightening where Super Bowl victories are concerned. Tom Brady at times behind some of those lines could wash, dry, and style his hair before most defensive players could touch him. The optical illusion playing behind O-Lines that can generate that kind of time is why Tom Brady is considered by most a GREAT QB IMHO.

Pick up Tim Tebow and switch Luck to safety...

I get the joke & while I do appreciate the attempt, the punchline didn't really work. You get a B+ for creativity though TG. :P  

Mostly because I cringe everytime Luck throws a pick & tackles the guy with the ball anyway. It makes me incredibly nervous actually. 

I get the joke & while I do appreciate the attempt, the punchline didn't really work. You get a B+ for creativity though TG. :P  

Mostly because I cringe everytime Luck throws a pick & tackles the guy with the ball anyway. It makes me incredibly nervous actually. 

But you wouldn't feel as bad about it if he were actually a safety, right?